Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
He's a system player, meant only for the slot position.

So in other words, if you have your 2 outside WRs set in place, Welker could be a decent option, but a very WR needy team that doesn't have much in place at all shouldn't look for him.

The Patriots had Deion Branch, Julian Edelman and Donte Stallworth playing outside opposite Brandon Lloyd who isn't much of a deep threat this season and Welker was still highly productive.

Gronk and Hernandez did a great job of keeping LB's from camping in Welker's path. On a few other teams he probably doesn't have that luxury. But he's just like any other WR. He needs targets to get his numbers. I think he would get those numbers and targets pretty much anywhere else provided the team based their offense around him.

I just don't think some teams are smart enough to do that.

I'd love to see him move on from NE though. It's a great opportunity to shove it back into the faces of those who think he's the same guy as Amendola or Edelman.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know Welker fits there system but no one can cover him Think he is to agile and strong and compact. System or not if he was simply a system guy and blah blah the dude would never get open like he does week in week out.

but i would never pay him a boat lod of money hes expected but he deserves to get paid cause hes more then a system player.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit would be a great fit for him and they are short a WR with the defection of Titus Young. I'm not saying Welker is as good as Titus just that he might lessen the blow of losing that kind of production.

Or it could just be that with Calvin Johnson Welker is sure to see single coverage which means he won't be getting destroyed by linebackers as often.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos, beside Pats would make sense.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

I'd love to see him move on from NE though.

As a Pats fan, I'd love to see this as well.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Play wise I agree, just with the Broncos salary cap I don't see it happen. Welker while really good is not more important then Clady. Welker no doubt would be a huge upgrade to Decker but Decker is productive and not the reason they lost to the Ravens.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

that would be so strange seeing him with Peyton. so strange it makes sense.

Saints Giants Packers Miami San Diego seem like good fits IMO but i think any one can use a Welker.

I am surprised how much hes being written off by fans here.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can tag Vollmer now.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

That would be a dreadful idea. Paying a RT $9M is insane.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Andre Smith disagrees...
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Detroit would be a great fit for him and they are short a WR with the defection of Titus Young. I'm not saying Welker is as good as Titus just that he might lessen the blow of losing that kind of production.

Or it could just be that with Calvin Johnson Welker is sure to see single coverage which means he won't be getting destroyed by linebackers as often.

You're not? Because Titus has 81 career recptions for less than 1000 yards?

I'll say it, Welker is better than Titus Young.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

People are too hung up on right & left tackle. Both are incredibly important... Vollmer has battled the injury bug... 1 year deal rather than a long-term deal would make sense seeing he's one of the best players at his position.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Wes Welker=Danny Amendola. Welker is much more valuable to New England then he would be to anyone else. I would guess that they're going to let him test free agency and if someone overpays him then fine but if they don't I bet he's back on a short-term deal like 2-3 years.

Welker is 5x the receiver Amendola is. And he stays much healthier too. It's insulting to say they're equal.

It's laughable how much people degrade Welker here. Just because he plays the slot primarily doesn't mean he not better at it than everyone else. It's like saying Vincent Jackson = Justin Blackmon. Just because they both play outside doesn't mean they're the same.

No, he's not. He definitely stays healthier and that's a big advantage but you didn't see Amendola this year if you think Welker is 5x the WR. A healthy Amendola would have put up well over 1000 yards and likely 100 catches in St. Louis this year.

But yes, durability does make a lot of difference. That all said, you're majorly shorting Amendola.

theJ wrote:
He could actually be really productive in any system that puts an emphasis on the short passing game or throws a high volume of passes. I'm thinking maybe an Andy Reid system, Broncos, Packers, Lions, etc. His numbers will of course drop big time if he goes to a place like St. Louis, Miami, Cincy, Cleveland, etc. Places with inefficient passing games that won't put their focus on Welker or throw him a lot of balls.

If Amendola goes, Welker would have no issues seeing targets in St. Louis.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

People are too hung up on right & left tackle. Both are incredibly important... Vollmer has battled the injury bug... 1 year deal rather than a long-term deal would make sense seeing he's one of the best players at his position.

Why on earth would Vollmer take a 1 year deal given his age and injury issues? Someone will give him a contract to be their starting LT and it will be for more than the Pats offer.

Paying a RT $9M is absolutely nuts. The Pats have $15M in cap space. Chewing up more than half of that on the least important position on their line would be a terrible idea. They can get by fine with a mediocre RT. Vollmer is a great player, but he's not worth huge money to play RT. No one is.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Why on earth would Vollmer take a 1 year deal given his age and injury issues? Someone will give him a contract to be their starting LT and it will be for more than the Pats offer.

Paying a RT $9M is absolutely nuts. The Pats have $15M in cap space. Chewing up more than half of that on the least important position on their line would be a terrible idea. They can get by fine with a mediocre RT. Vollmer is a great player, but he's not worth huge money to play RT. No one is.

Pretty sure he was talking about the franchise tag. That's the driver of the $9M number as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: