Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal Reply with quote

Quote:
REPORT: Patriots will NOT franchise WR Wes Welker. (via @RonBorges)

http://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/statuses/303531516212957185

Because Welker was franchise tagged last season he would be due $11.4 million if he was tagged again this season and the Patriots also have a top 5 OT heading to free-agency in Sebastian Vollmer. Welker once again recorded over a 100+ catch season in 2012, catching 118 passes for 1,354 yards and 6 TDs but he will turn 32-years old before the season starts and for the second consecutive season he finished the playoffs with a critical drop in a big game.

***Update***
Quote:
Wes Welker and the Patriots have indeed been discussing a contract, but still no reason to believe anything is imminent.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/306206700367642624
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for whoever signs him to a big deal. I don't think he'll be nearly as effective outside of New England. If he signs on for a team friendly deal he's worth it but if you want to pay him what the other top FA WR's are going to get I expect a huge disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
I feel for whoever signs him to a big deal. I don't think he'll be nearly as effective outside of New England. If he signs on for a team friendly deal he's worth it but if you want to pay him what the other top FA WR's are going to get I expect a huge disappointment.

For the most part, that's how FA typically works -- somebody signs a player for more than they are worth and in a new system they aren't as productive as they were in the previous system that made them so "valuable".

I feel the same as you, and it'll probably be a typical team that falls for the trap yet again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a practice squad player in San Diego. He was above average in Miami and a terror with Tom Brady. He benefits from the talent around him and playing with a Hall of Fame QB. Outside New England he will still be good just not 100 catches a year production. Someone will overpay him or he will stay in New England at a deep discount to his FA rate. Open market he probably wants 8m a year with a 5 year deal guaranteed with accelerators that could bump it to 10m.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for the Patriots is letting him hit free-agency and hope that teams realize that he simply isn't the same player outside of NE which will cause his asking price to drop so they could give him a 2-year deal that they can afford.
Tom Brady Tribute
Brodie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope my team does not go after him, dude is bouta get overpayed big time

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he leaves New England, the team who signs him is probably going to get ripped off. Welker is one of the best slot WR in the game, but he's going to get #1 WR money from someone I think. I'm not quite as down on him as some seem to be as I think he can continue to be effective for a few more years, but I doubt we'll see another 100+ reception season from him if Tom Brady isn't throwing him the ball.

Nacho Simulation Football League
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Welker=Danny Amendola. Welker is much more valuable to New England then he would be to anyone else. I would guess that they're going to let him test free agency and if someone overpays him then fine but if they don't I bet he's back on a short-term deal like 2-3 years.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could actually be really productive in any system that puts an emphasis on the short passing game or throws a high volume of passes. I'm thinking maybe an Andy Reid system, Broncos, Packers, Lions, etc. His numbers will of course drop big time if he goes to a place like St. Louis, Miami, Cincy, Cleveland, etc. Places with inefficient passing games that won't put their focus on Welker or throw him a lot of balls.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Wes Welker=Danny Amendola.

Welker has been getting crushed by DLs/LBs/DBs for years and barely missed any time at all, Amendola made a total of 9 starts the past two seasons due to injuries while also having career per catch average of 8.8. [Welker has 11.2 average]
Tom Brady Tribute
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Wes Welker=Danny Amendola. Welker is much more valuable to New England then he would be to anyone else. I would guess that they're going to let him test free agency and if someone overpays him then fine but if they don't I bet he's back on a short-term deal like 2-3 years.

Welker is 5x the receiver Amendola is. And he stays much healthier too. It's insulting to say they're equal.

It's laughable how much people degrade Welker here. Just because he plays the slot primarily doesn't mean he not better at it than everyone else. It's like saying Vincent Jackson = Justin Blackmon. Just because they both play outside doesn't mean they're the same.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a system player, meant only for the slot position.

So in other words, if you have your 2 outside WRs set in place, Welker could be a decent option, but a very WR needy team that doesn't have much in place at all shouldn't look for him.

So in other words, his best best is New England by a far shot. I can't see him producing as well anywhere else.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Plush

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's headed to to Detroit or Miami
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

So in other words, if you have your 2 outside WRs set in place, Welker could be a decent option, but a very WR needy team that doesn't have much in place at all shouldn't look for him.

So in other words, his best best is New England by a far shot. I can't see him producing as well anywhere else.

Your first two paragraphs i agree with. There has to be some sort of threat outside or at TE to draw some coverage. Otherwise he'll just masterblasted with LB's all game.

But your last paragraph is totally bogus. He'll succeed anywhere they throw him the ball. Like any WR, he needs targets to get his numbers. He could most definitely get those targets in Green Bay or Denver (phasing out Decker).

Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

The Patriots had Deion Branch, Julian Edelman and Donte Stallworth playing outside opposite Brandon Lloyd who isn't much of a deep threat this season and Welker was still highly productive.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: