Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

College cornerbacks that might need to switch to safety
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: College cornerbacks that might need to switch to safety Reply with quote

Big CBs are the rage right now because everyone sees the success that the Seahawks have had with Browner and Sherman. However, some big college cornerbacks are better off making the transition to safety when they come to the NFL. A few notable players fall into this category this year:

David Amerson: He had a really up and down year and doesn't seem to have the skills to be a starting CB. If he learns to become a willing tackler and puts on a little more weight he could be an awesome ball-hawking safety.

Blidi-Wreh Wilson: He as good size, speed and ball skills but has trouble matching up with quick WRs. His so-so change of direction skills really wouldn't be too much of a problem as a safety. I can see him as a Jarius Byrd type of safety.

Sanders Cummings: He weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 223Lbs and is a shade under 6 feet tall. He has great size and was athletic enough to play cornerback at Georgia. He isn't a big name but in my opinion he could develop into a big-time safety

Now I am going to throw out a couple of bigger names:

Jonathan Banks: He was all SEC safety as a freshman. He has great length and ball skills. His tackling is solid. However, his speed is questionable. His length can cover up his speed deficiencies to a point but his lack of speed will limit his effectiveness. He won't be an elite cornerback but could be an elite safety

Xaviar Rhodes: Listed at 6 foot 1 and 215 Lbs. He has the strength to pressure receivers at the line of scrimmage and re-route them. The big question is whether or not he has enough speed to turn and run with NFL wide receivers. Is he fluid enough to turn his hips and run without giving up too much separation? I am not sure but if he can't he has size and length to be a great safety.

What is your take on this?
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks is a common choice. Previous starting experience there and was recruited as a FS. I think he could still be a corner at the next level, but would need a great S situation in place.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks and Rhodes should definitely stay at CB. Rhodes is a a press man or off man guy, so there isn't a whole lot that suggest he can cover single deep that a S is sometimes asked to do. Banks, while isn't the fastest, is too small for S anyway and fits perfectly into a any zone scheme and could be a off man guy (wouldn't be great but could do it) and if he could become good at pressing guys, he could be a elite CB. Wreh-Wilson is another guy who shouldn't be converted to S unless he just fails at CB. I completely agree that Amerson should be used at S unless he goes to a heavy zone scheme that likes to have deep S's. Sanders Cummings was actually a pretty good CB for Georgia and his weight is suprising. If that weight causes him to be slow, I could definitely see him being a convert to S.

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Amerson for a safety. I wouldn't mind drafting him for it at all. He's a completely different breed than Amari was/is.... so I hope to God nobody uses him as a comparison.
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the scouting report from Scott Wright at this link:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Johnthan-Banks.php

In my opinion, his weaknesses will make him a so-so corner but he could be a great safety. He definitely needs to put on some muscle though. I could see him drop to the 2nd round if his forty time is too high.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

In my opinion, his weaknesses will make him a so-so corner but he could be a great safety. He definitely needs to put on some muscle though. I could see him drop to the 2nd round if his forty time is too high.
I'm curious why someone would want a 185 pound guy at S, especialy if they feel if that player needs to strongly hit the weights.

R.I.P. Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IDOG_det"][quote="WillParks"]Check out the scouting report from Scott Wright at this link:

In my opinion, his weaknesses will make him a so-so corner but he could be a great safety. He definitely needs to put on some muscle though. I could see him drop to the 2nd round if his forty time is too high.[/quote]I'm curious why someone would want a 185 pound guy at S, especialy if they feel if that player needs to strongly hit the weights.[/quote]

Even of he stayed at CB he would have to add some muscle (probably 10Lbs) anyway. I projected him to drop out of the first round in another post. I wouldn't be surprised to see Banks run a 4.55-4.6 if he weighsin at 195-200Lbs. Given his apparent lack of burst and short area quickness I think his best position might be safety.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
WillParks wrote:

I'm curious why someone would want a 185 pound guy at S, especialy if they feel if that player needs to strongly hit the weights.

Weight can be added, rather easily. Skill set however is hard to change. I would assume his skill set to some best emulates a S. In fact most CBs who excel in zone coverage should be solid S's in coverage. If Banks isn't afraid of contact and has the frame to add some muscle, he could make a very good Safety, especially given his speed isn't great.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Weight can be added, rather easily. Skill set however is hard to change. I would assume his skill set to some best emulates a S. In fact most CBs who excel in zone coverage should be solid S's in coverage. If Banks isn't afraid of contact and has the frame to add some muscle, he could make a very good Safety, especially given his speed isn't great.
This thread actually inspired me to go back and watch him to see if he fits at safety and I can say for sure that he would not make a good safety unless you want your safeties to shy away from contact. He does not get off of blocks well enough to be a safety and does not use good enough tackling form to be a safety. He also had a perfect oppurtunity to either try to either strip a guy or light him up (the ball carrier was stood up by other defenders) but he instead waited by the pile for the play to end. That is not the aggresion to look for in a safety. Also, I'm not sure where this average burst stuff is coming from, he seems to have good closing speed and actually jumped a few routes and knocked down a few passes that he wouldn't have if he only had average burst.

R.I.P. Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
WillParks wrote:

This thread actually inspired me to go back and watch him to see if he fits at safety and I can say for sure that he would not make a good safety unless you want your safeties to shy away from contact. He does not get off of blocks well enough to be a safety and does not use good enough tackling form to be a safety. He also had a perfect oppurtunity to either try to either strip a guy or light him up (the ball carrier was stood up by other defenders) but he instead waited by the pile for the play to end. That is not the aggresion to look for in a safety. Also, I'm not sure where this average burst stuff is coming from, he seems to have good closing speed and actually jumped a few routes and knocked down a few passes that he wouldn't have if he only had average burst.
most of these guys mentioned shy away from contact and i dont want that in my safety.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the couple articles I have just read, speed is the major issue with all the CBs this year. Mayock only has Milliner at a 1st round grade and speed is a huge issue with many of them, and was visible in them being burned deep this year. I know that is the case with Amerson.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
From the couple articles I have just read, speed is the major issue with all the CBs this year. Mayock only has Milliner at a 1st round grade and speed is a huge issue with many of them, and was visible in them being burned deep this year. I know that is the case with Amerson.
There shouldn't any concerns with speed with Xavier Rhodes

R.I.P. Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a late flier on John Boyett.

Sig bet
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about safety's that should change to CB like Vaccarro?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
How about safety's that should change to CB like Vaccarro?

Someone mentioned that in the Draft forum and brought up some good points. Quite a risky move, I can't really recall the last time it successfully happened? Nnamdi back in '03?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: