Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal Reply with quote

Quote:
REPORT: Patriots will NOT franchise WR Wes Welker. (via @RonBorges)

http://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/statuses/303531516212957185

Because Welker was franchise tagged last season he would be due $11.4 million if he was tagged again this season and the Patriots also have a top 5 OT heading to free-agency in Sebastian Vollmer. Welker once again recorded over a 100+ catch season in 2012, catching 118 passes for 1,354 yards and 6 TDs but he will turn 32-years old before the season starts and for the second consecutive season he finished the playoffs with a critical drop in a big game.

***Update***
Quote:
Wes Welker and the Patriots have indeed been discussing a contract, but still no reason to believe anything is imminent.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/306206700367642624
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD.
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone trust Borges as a source?

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all surprised. It's a lot of money for a position where there's a good FA pool and deep draft. Better to use it somewhere else.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Why would anyone trust Borges as a source?

Yeah. There's really no reason to believe this is more than speculation.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also speculation that the Patriots may make a play for Percy Harvin.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one who would rather see money go into Welker than Vollmer.

ELRammy
jofos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:

I would take Welker over Vollmer because of injury history. I wouldn't tag either however.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for the Patriots is letting him hit free-agency and hope that teams realize that he simply isn't the same player outside of NE which will cause his asking price to drop so they could give him a 2-year deal that they can afford.
Tom Brady Tribute
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:

I'm fine w/ boh being allowed to hit open market.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:

I'd rather see them both walk.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the 3 I want Talib back...not tagged but brought back long term.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:

There's no way I'd give Talib a long term deal with his injury problems, off-field stuff and reportedly shaky work ethic. He wasn't even particularly good last year.

I'd like to have him back, but it's going to be tough to find a contract that both sides find appealing.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:

There's no way I'd give Talib a long term deal with his injury problems, off-field stuff and reportedly shaky work ethic. He wasn't even particularly good last year.

I'd like to have him back, but it's going to be tough to find a contract that both sides find appealing.

I know the off field arrest stuff was bad a few years back but beyond that idk what we should be afraid of. Obviously HGH suspensions in the NFL are looked at by fans/players and organizations alike. We knco kem 4 games and sometimes those guys (Sherman,Talib, Spikes) are looked at as "tough guys" that are needed in a locker room filled with young guys or goody two shoes. I would like to see at least a 3 year deal for him. He is at the position that to me we have shown a real lack of development and drafting expertise. He wasn't elite this past season but with the combination of his arrival and McCourty being moved to S it cannot be overlooked how much better the D seemed to play majority of the time. To me we can "replace" a WR, and I know Wes is not just some WR he has been much better than average. We have also shown an ability to plug players into the OL fairly easily as well. So to me, the best Offense in the game arguably for the last 5 years can stand to replace a WR with depth WR via FA or draft and find depth OL but again we have shown no ability to draft or sign a guy like Talib who had did not change the D all by himself but certainly had a huge part in it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:

I know the off field arrest stuff was bad a few years back but beyond that idk what we should be afraid of. Obviously HGH suspensions in the NFL are looked at by fans/players and organizations alike. We knco kem 4 games and sometimes those guys (Sherman,Talib, Spikes) are looked at as "tough guys" that are needed in a locker room filled with young guys or goody two shoes. I would like to see at least a 3 year deal for him. He is at the position that to me we have shown a real lack of development and drafting expertise. He wasn't elite this past season but with the combination of his arrival and McCourty being moved to S it cannot be overlooked how much better the D seemed to play majority of the time. To me we can "replace" a WR, and I know Wes is not just some WR he has been much better than average. We have also shown an ability to plug players into the OL fairly easily as well. So to me, the best Offense in the game arguably for the last 5 years can stand to replace a WR with depth WR via FA or draft and find depth OL but again we have shown no ability to draft or sign a guy like Talib who had did not change the D all by himself but certainly had a huge part in it.

The issue is that he didn't play like a $6-7M per year player last year. The defense improved when he arrived because McCourty settled in at FS and Talib - despite being fairly mediocre - supplanted Arrington, who stinks outside. Furthermore, Arrington moved inside - where he is quite good. Any decent CB probably would have had the same effect.

Still, giving a 3 year/ 18M+ contract to a guy who has constant injury and/or suspension issues and reportedly didn't want to work hard in New England - that's a bad idea IMO.

As for the Pats "inability" to draft CB's - a common and oft-repeated refrain around here - Dennard and McCourty are 2 of the last 3 CB's drafted and they've worked out very well. Dowling certainly looked promising before his injuries. I understand Wheatley and Butler were duds but the former had injury issues (predictable or not) so it's tough to say whether or not the Pats mis-evaluated his talent or were unable to coach/develop him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: