Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Right Tackle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you like to see as the Rams' starting RT in 2013?
Barry Richardson
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Joe Barksdale
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Rodger Saffold
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DJ Fluker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Early draft pick
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Middle draft pick
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Late draft pick
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sebastian Vollmer
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Phil Loadholt
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Gosder Cherilus
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Will Svitek
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

DistantRam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Right Tackle Reply with quote

Although the Rams need to address other positions, such as safety and wide receiver, in the upcoming draft, many people have been mocking us a right tackle. Much depends on who is available when we pick, obviously, but do we really need to use up a high draft pick on a right tackle?

Barry Richardson was solid in his play last year and improved as the season progressed; he may not be the big name player many fans want to see there but he exceeded expectations in 2012 and, as the incumbent, currently has first shot at retaining the spot for the upcoming season. He will become a free agent, though, so are the Rams willing to pay the increased salary which he will no doubt expect?

Joe Barksdale showed glimpses of promise in his six games (two starts) last year; has he shown enough, though, to be a regular starter?

Some are advocating moving Rodger Saffold over to the right and drafting a new left tackle; I think that this option makes no sense, as Saffold is far better suited to the left than the right, but I've included him as an option nonetheless.

DJ Fluker has been cited as a possible solution to our problems but to me he lacks footwork skills and would be far better as a guard- in fact, he could be one of the best in the league if moved inside, in my opinion.

We could draft somebody else, but whom and at what stage of the draft? Do we use up an early pick (rounds one and two), a middle one (three or four) or find a late-round bargain in round five or later? I'd love to hear more about possible sleeper picks for the position from those who have far more access to scouting material than we get here in the UK.

Finally, we could go for a new right tackle in free agency. Sebastian Vollmer and Phil Loadholt are two quality candidates but both are going to be expensive, if they're not franchised by their current teams, and cheaper options include Gosder Cherilus and Will Svitek.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Fishers history and listening to Snead I think the first few rounds will be on weapons and play makers. Mid round on O and D line with later rounds being on depth and fliers.

That said I voted mid round pick.
ramsfan4lyfe8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Gosder Cherilus. He was ranked the best or second best RT in the NFL by profootball focus or one of the other organizations. I would be very excited on that signing as I was an advocate on here about drafting him out of BC when he came out in 08.
Ryback

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Phil Loadholt. Get him in free agency and draft a quality guard.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
Looking at Fishers history and listening to Snead I think the first few rounds will be on weapons and play makers. Mid round on O and D line with later rounds being on depth and fliers.

That said I voted mid round pick.

I voted mid round too.
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryback wrote:
I say Phil Loadholt. Get him in free agency and draft a quality guard.

Loadholt isnt that good in pass protection if iirc
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Richardson. If he can play well enough to hold it down then we dont have to use any resources on it via draft or FA
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
I voted Gosder Cherilus. He was ranked the best or second best RT in the NFL by profootball focus or one of the other organizations. I would be very excited on that signing as I was an advocate on here about drafting him out of BC when he came out in 08.

Really? You advocated him on this forum in 2008? Your profile was created in 2011. Must have been quite a trick to pull off.

Personally, I loved Cherilus coming out of college, but those that were paying attention at the time will remember he was primarily a guard prospect.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Loadholt, though, he likely is too spendy. Would be quite happy with Loadholt or Cherilous, at the right price. More likely, we take one mid round.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
ramsfan4lyfe8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:

Really? You advocated him on this forum in 2008? Your profile was created in 2011. Must have been quite a trick to pull off.

Personally, I loved Cherilus coming out of college, but those that were paying attention at the time will remember he was primarily a guard prospect.

Actually I had another profile on here before some stupid stuff got it locked. So yes I'm sure I've been on here alot longer than most of the ones that are here now. And yes I was advocating him. And I don't remember him being a guard prospect. He played RT for his first 3 years at BC and then switching to LT so I don't personally remember him ever being recruited as a guard.
FRO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hoping we get Lane Johnson at 16 and can move Saffold to RT. if Johnson is gone I like Dallas Thomas at RT in the second.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:

Actually I had another profile on here before some stupid stuff got it locked. So yes I'm sure I've been on here alot longer than most of the ones that are here now. And yes I was advocating him. And I don't remember him being a guard prospect. He played RT for his first 3 years at BC and then switching to LT so I don't personally remember him ever being recruited as a guard.

Nice, lol. What was it named?

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone vote for Barry Richardson? He was bad this year, just Bad. I sure as hell hope he is no where near this team next year.

I like Joseph Barksdale as a backup/developmental #3 OT, but I do not want him as my starting RT in 2013.

Vollmer, Loadholt, & Cherilus are all very likely to be out of our price range, and Im not sure I want to spend one of our first 3 picks (2 firsts & second) on strictly a RT. Now if they have the upside to be a LT we are having a different conversation.

I think our RT comes from another cheap vet (one with much more talent/upside than Richardson), a Draftee from somewhere in rounds 3-5, or a combination of the 2.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Why would anyone vote for Barry Richardson? He was bad this year, just Bad. I sure as hell hope he is no where near this team next year.

I like Joseph Barksdale as a backup/developmental #3 OT, but I do not want him as my starting RT in 2013.

Vollmer, Loadholt, & Cherilus are all very likely to be out of our price range, and Im not sure I want to spend one of our first 3 picks (2 firsts & second) on strictly a RT. Now if they have the upside to be a LT we are having a different conversation.

I think our RT comes from another cheap vet (one with much more talent/upside than Richardson), a Draftee from somewhere in rounds 3-5, or a combination of the 2.

He really wasnt that bad. I think a better question is why wouldnt you vote for him? This would be assuming he plays well enough to do a decent job. Which would allow the team to focus on other areas of need.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

middle round pick, I wouldn't mind looking at it in first round but all the top tackle prospects will be gone by our pick and no way we move up.

I'm glad to see no one voted for the Saffold option. He played extremely well last year and he looks like he can be a future pro bowler(health permitted).

I think we should sign a young prospect or a reclamation project in free agency and look at tackles in round 3-5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: