Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

James Harrison: Knee Jerk Reaction or Coincidence?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: James Harrison: Knee Jerk Reaction or Coincidence? Reply with quote

As of late there as been a lot of speculation swirling around about James Harrison. The Steelers, as we know, are expected to be about $14 Million over the cap and have to make serious cuts/changes. It has been expected that one of those changes will be the cutting of James Harrison.

James Harrison, according to the NFL Website(and other sources) recently said that he will not take a pay cut but is open to restructuring his contract. This left those involved in the situation feeling that there was no resolve and that a separation was inevitable (at least in my opinion); Now, according to the NFL's website, the Steelers are saying that they want James Harrison on the roster and are hoping that they can negotiate a pay cut or work out a deal of some sort that will allow them to keep him.

This comes after Alex Ogletree was charged with a DUI; a player likely very high on the Steelers' draft board; possibly at the top of it.

So it leads me to wonder, do the Steelers now feel desperate to keep Harrison because the guy that they 'wanted' to draft is now..for them..undraftable or was this just a coincidence of timing?

How do you all think this is going to work out? I really don't see them being able to keep Harrison, but if they do..I don't see OLB even being a pick in our first two rounds.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: James Harrison: Knee Jerk Reaction or Coincidence? Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
As of late there as been a lot of speculation swirling around about James Harrison. The Steelers, as we know, are expected to be about $14 Million over the cap and have to make serious cuts/changes. It has been expected that one of those changes will be the cutting of James Harrison.

James Harrison, according to the NFL Website(and other sources) recently said that he will not take a pay cut but is open to restructuring his contract. This left those involved in the situation feeling that there was no resolve and that a separation was inevitable (at least in my opinion); Now, according to the NFL's website, the Steelers are saying that they want James Harrison on the roster and are hoping that they can negotiate a pay cut or work out a deal of some sort that will allow them to keep him.

This comes after Alex Ogletree was charged with a DUI; a player likely very high on the Steelers' draft board; possibly at the top of it.

So it leads me to wonder, do the Steelers now feel desperate to keep Harrison because the guy that they 'wanted' to draft is now..for them..undraftable or was this just a coincidence of timing?

How do you all think this is going to work out? I really don't see them being able to keep Harrison, but if they do..I don't see OLB even being a pick in our first two rounds.

First off, we have no idea how much they wanted Ogletree. They may not have wanted him at all. Taking him off the draft board just means they wont consider him.

Secondly, Ogletree is not a 34 OLB. He is a much better fit for ILB, so I cant see how it would affect that anyway.

Third, Im guessing they have always wanted to keep Harrison. Fans are the ones who have dont most of the speculation, but behind closed doors, I dont think anyone was saying they WANTED to cut Harrison, but rather knew they might have to because of his cap hit.

Fourth. if there is any reason the Steelers are desperate to keep him, its because we have nothing behind him, regardless of what people say about Worlids or Robinson.

How do I see it working out? I see us having to cut ties with him, but since I think he is almost done, its not a huge loss from a LONG term standpoint, but for 2013, it hurts because we have no one.

I see us handing the job to Worlids and see him sucking out loud. With no Harrison and likely no Casey, our run defense will be abysmal, especially if McClendon and Worlids are starting in their place.

As for the draft....I really dont see how you can say it wont be a pick in the first two rounds. Not saying it will, but there isnt any logic behind it because we dont know how the draft will fall, and OLB is easily a top need.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@43: I might've missed it, but who are your top 3 prospects for 1st round pick?? Just curious! Wink

Btw, like 43 said we don't know if DrunkenTree was even on our list to begin. You just making 3 assumptions and trying to get in the minds of our front office is something someone like Skip Bayless would do! Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@43: I might've missed it, but who are your top 3 prospects for 1st round pick?? Just curious! Wink

Btw, like 43 said we don't know if DrunkenTree was even on our list to begin. You just making 3 assumptions and trying to get in the minds of our front office is something someone like Skip Bayless would do! Laughing

For who I believe will be available to us?

Keenan Allen
Jesse Williams
Cordaralle Patterson

Jonathan Banks, Manti Te'o, John Jenkins and possibly one of the top OTs if they take a fall like DeCastro did (which I doubt). Holding out hope Jarvis Jones falls as well, which again, I doubt.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

For who I believe will be available to us?

Keenan Allen
Jesse Williams
Cordaralle Patterson

Jonathan Banks, Manti Te'o, John Jenkins and possibly one of the top OTs if they take a fall like DeCastro did (which I doubt). Holding out hope Jarvis Jones falls as well, which again, I doubt.

Add Warmack to that list.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as knowing whether or not Ogletree would've been our pick, no, I don't know that. The question/thread was based on the 'hypothetical' that he was. Most of what I said, was based on hypothetical.

I agree, I don't think he'll be on the roster next season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Worilds is our future at OLB.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to understand that Ogletree would not have been a Deebo replacement.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
You don't seem to understand that Ogletree would not have been a Deebo replacement.

Nah, I got that part of it, from what 43 said, I was just stating that my initial comments were hypothetical anyway. But that is certainly a valid point obviously. The Ogletree part of it aside, I just don't see Harrison being a very willing Negotiator.

Edit: Like I said in my Ogletree thread, don't know a ton about the guy, so in this thread, I basically made hypotheticals based on my 'scout reads'. 43 offered up some very quality info in this thread and very valid points.

Last edited by wwhickok on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Nah, I got that part of it, from what 43 said, I was just stating that my initial comments were hypothetical anyway. But that is certainly a valid point obviously. The Ogletree part of it aside, I just don't see Harrison being a very willing Negotiator.

I know its a hypothetical, but given that Ogletree wouldve been Foote's replacement, Id say that it really had no effect on how they felt about Harrison.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

I know its a hypothetical, but given that Ogletree wouldve been Foote's replacement, Id say that it really had no effect on how they felt about Harrison.

I agree with that, knowing the situation as a whole now from that perspective.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Kethy did mention that he would move Harrison to ILB so you never know what the FO is thinking!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Kethy did mention that he would move Harrison to ILB so you never know what the FO is thinking!!

keth would do that....doesnt mean the FO would. Likely not.

And even if they did move Harrison to ILB, Ogletree still doesnt fill the void at OLB.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

keth would do that....doesnt mean the FO would. Likely not.

And even if they did move Harrison to ILB, Ogletree still doesnt fill the void at OLB.

Agreed, he's off his rocker a lot. Besides, I doubt either one of these players will be on our team next year, so mentioning either ones name, should be worth a ban!! Cool
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad something like this happend with Ogletree. I didn't want the Steelers to draft him. IMO his skill sets are too similar to Timmons. Not that it's a bad thing I would rather go a different route in the first.

As far as Harrison, the only way that I see him here this season if he takes a pay cut. Restructuring him would only make next year even harder on the cap.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the money, James is too important to us to lose in my opinion. We have NOTHING to replace him. Best-case scenario, you draft a good pass rusher. But we don't play rookies on defense so....that leaves Worilds. You go from one of the most dominant OLB's of the last 20 years, who can still play, to Jason Worilds. We need James, it's worth the risk and cap hit to keep him in my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: