Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Summing up the 2013 season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Summing up the 2013 season Reply with quote

I didn't write this mind you, I copied and pasted this link from a brilliant guy at Seahawks.net who breaks down games. Even though he does show an intense amount of Russell Wilson love, trust me he is not all Seahawk homer. I'd trust what he says. He has me excited over Tate! Very Happy

[MOD EDIT]

He has me really excited on Golden Tate and Russell Wilson. Always been a big Tate fan. Anyways, I just thought I would show you guys this post, because I love reading what he says! It's worth it everytime, IMO. You'll learn a lot more about the Hawks.

I can't wait for 2013!!

Smile
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad - a couple of things.

Quote: Brandon Browner played even better this season I thought. I wonder if he would have made the pro-bowl if not for the PED suspension that barred him from going.

Not true - the PED suspension cost him four games and that's it. If he had been voted to the Pro Bowl, he could have gone. You could argue that public perception led to fewer votes for Browner and Sherman which left them off the squad but it didn't preclude them from going.

His quasi-criticism of over-calling zone defense screams of a homer who is afraid to criticize his own team. The play calling on defense was atrocious at times this season and even worse against Atlanta. Hopefully we can improve the pass rush but a change in coordinator was needed as well. It's an interesting theory that an increase in zone coverage is correlated to the number of running QBs. I still think you can defend a running QB with both schemes but it's an interesting point to make.

His criticism of Unger (by way of comparing him to Sweezy) is a little off, ultimately Sweezy's strengths did not outweigh the fact that he was a major liability at times. I'm also not as high on Giacomini as he is.

All in all - pretty good. I think Tate has a good year but I still see him as miles away from his potential.

It was good to see us finally have a passing game and still be able to run the ball at will. That was the biggest thing I took away as a positive and a sign of things to come. We can throw the ball! The defense had a really awkward year. They were oustanding at times - one of the leagues best. And then stifled the next - unable to get any pressure or dictate the game. Hopefully Clemons can come back strong and we can improve the pass rush. Getting a rush with four guys allows the other 7 more freedom to make plays. It'll be interesting to see the split between O/D during the draft and FA. My guess is it will be defense heavy with only a few specific pieces added to the offense.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
It's not bad - a couple of things.

Quote: Brandon Browner played even better this season I thought. I wonder if he would have made the pro-bowl if not for the PED suspension that barred him from going.

Not true - the PED suspension cost him four games and that's it. If he had been voted to the Pro Bowl, he could have gone. You could argue that public perception led to fewer votes for Browner and Sherman which left them off the squad but it didn't preclude them from going.

His quasi-criticism of over-calling zone defense screams of a homer who is afraid to criticize his own team. The play calling on defense was atrocious at times this season and even worse against Atlanta. Hopefully we can improve the pass rush but a change in coordinator was needed as well. It's an interesting theory that an increase in zone coverage is correlated to the number of running QBs. I still think you can defend a running QB with both schemes but it's an interesting point to make.

His criticism of Unger (by way of comparing him to Sweezy) is a little off, ultimately Sweezy's strengths did not outweigh the fact that he was a major liability at times. I'm also not as high on Giacomini as he is.

All in all - pretty good. I think Tate has a good year but I still see him as miles away from his potential.

It was good to see us finally have a passing game and still be able to run the ball at will. That was the biggest thing I took away as a positive and a sign of things to come. We can throw the ball! The defense had a really awkward year. They were oustanding at times - one of the leagues best. And then stifled the next - unable to get any pressure or dictate the game. Hopefully Clemons can come back strong and we can improve the pass rush. Getting a rush with four guys allows the other 7 more freedom to make plays. It'll be interesting to see the split between O/D during the draft and FA. My guess is it will be defense heavy with only a few specific pieces added to the offense.

If you get suspended for PED's you can't receive awards. Or at least that's what I heard.

You can't really defend running QB's with man coverage, just look at the Packers against the 49ers. THAT's what happens when you run man against a mobile QB like Kaep. And I don't think the play calling was atrocious as much as our execution was. Seriously, I wanna see some pressure on the pass rush and our guys can't get it done. We can only blame the D-coordinator for so long.

And he compared Unger's first year to Sweezy. Sweezy could easily have that type of improvement, especially cause he's so raw. Unger was horrendous his first year.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how good the article is or isn't, it is against forum rules to link to another forum.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tate is still quite a bit off reaching his potential IMO. He played well this year but he was also very invisible at times.

Unger and Sweezy are different situations. Unger better suits the ZBS because he isn't a particularly strong player. Also he is an average at best OG but his play jumped up as soon as he played at C. Sweezy is a clean slate that is great for a good O-Line coach because he can teach him every single skill, his way.

I see the draft panning out your way Swift. I see a focus on the D-Line (because the draft is full of D-Line talent) but any noticeable offensive players being drafted if they are the BPA.
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree the draft will probably focus on the D-line, but I think we also need to improve the O-line. I think our receivers are good enough if the line gives RW time to find ''em & the play calling improves.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Regardless of how good the article is or isn't, it is against forum rules to link to another forum.

My bad. Thanks for the heads up and the edit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: