Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FLOODx's pre-combine Saints mock.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding pass rushing lineman will only make it better for guys like Galette and Wilson. Whether Wilson's coming from the inside or out. I could see us going secondary in the first round regardless though. We have some structure to our front seven, but the entire secondary is a mystery at this point.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Adding pass rushing lineman will only make it better for guys like Galette and Wilson. Whether Wilson's coming from the inside or out. I could see us going secondary in the first round regardless though. We have some structure to our front seven, but the entire secondary is a mystery at this point.

Honestly... everything is debatable until we see what happens in Free Agency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Honestly... everything is debatable until we see what happens in Free Agency.

I couldn't agree more. I think that only 3 starters are guaranteed back on the team next year. I think more will come back, but I wouldn't go as far as say guaranteed except for Lofton, Jordan, and Robinson. I think Hicks and Wilson are guaranteed back as well. Outside of them everything is a question.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly why it's so frustrating mocking our team, or creating a needs list. I'm just ready for the draft!

67 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes away!

Adopt-a-Saint
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm RR I am much more confident in the front three than OLB. I would be very surprised if that isn't the pick. Spencer might sign to play LOLB...but I don't think that the Saints go into the season without an excellent fall back plan to Galette. Galette is still very much unproven...certainly as OLB. And he has had injury concerns to go along that. It is just too important of a position to not be excellent at.

The only real question in my book is whether or not there will be value at OLB in the first round. I think that Werner, Jones, Jordan, and Moore will be gone. That leaves possibly Mingo or Ansah. Both have concerns, so I am not sure about them over players of other positions.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, S, DL, and OLB are all realistic possibilities in the first round. We'll go with whoever is the best available out of those positions. Predicting who we'd have ranked the highest, and what the staff views as our 'biggest' need is the hard part.

Adopt-a-Saint
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out ILB. Martez Wilson could play outside linebacker for us. It does seem that's what Payton has been grooming him for. He played 4-3 OLB his rookie season then 4-3 DE last year. Working coverage and run contain early then pass rush later. I've also heard, wasn't sure if it was a quote, Payton wanted Galette and Wilson at outside. I'm not saying that's where he will play but something to consider.
thesolution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some quick research and under RR as the D Coordinator

1. Fabian Washington CB
2. Stanford Routt CB

1. Michael Huff

1. Joe Haden

1. Morris Claiborne

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
Did some quick research and under RR as the D Coordinator

1. Fabian Washington CB
2. Stanford Routt CB

1. Michael Huff

1. Joe Haden

1. Morris Claiborne

Very interesting

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: FLOODx's pre-combine Saints mock. Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Let me start off by saying I think we snag Anthony Spencer in FA.

We trade pick 15 to the Bears for pick 20, their 2013 2nd round pick, and 2014 5th round pick.

Round 1- Kawaan Short [DT; Purdue] 6'3" 310 lbs.
After trading back with the Bears, who jump both the Giants and Steelers to select Lane Johnson, the Saints get some Defensive Line help. The Saints need another playmaker on their D-Line. Kawann Short has the ability to push the pocket and disrupt plays in the backfield. In 2011, Short totaled 54 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and a forced fumble. This past season Short recorded 42 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four PBUs, four blocked kicks, two fumbles recovered and one forced fumble while battling an ankle injury.

Round 2- DJ Swearinger [SS; South Carolina] 5'11" 210 lbs.
Swearinger is an extremely physical DB that possesses good ball skills for the position. He should be an immediate upgrade over Roman Harper in coverage. With his physical style of play he'll also be able to help in run support. We'll finally have a player in our secondary that opposing players fear. Swearinger racked up double digit tackles in four games this past season, which includes games against LSU, Arkansas, and Tennessee. He also finished the season with two interceptions, and returned one for a touchdown versus Arkansas.

Round 3- Chase Thomas [OLB; Stanford] 6'4" 245 lbs.
Time to add some 3-4 personnel to our LB corp via the draft. The saints look to add depth to their front 7 here in the third round. Thomas is an experienced edge rusher, and has a knack for getting the the quarterback. He started his career at defensive end for the Stanford Cardinals, but since then he's made the switch to 3-4 OLB. Not only can he get to the quarterback, but he can also drop back into coverage from time to time and disrupt pass plays. Thomas finished the 2012 season with 7.5 sacks and an interception.

Round 4- Robert Alford [CB; Southeastern] 5'9" 185 lbs.
After having a productive career at a small school, Alford displayed his skills at the senior bowl. He showed his ability to play the pass in both man and zone coverage. He also added a spark to the return game, something the Saints could definitely use. Alford racked up 10 interceptions and twenty pass break ups over his college career.

Round 5- Terron Armstead [OT; Arkansas-Pine Bluff] 6'6" 305 lbs.
You can never have enough depth across the offensive line. Armstead has great size for the OT position. He's also a hell of an athlete with a reported 4.7-4.8 forty yard dash time. He'll most likely have a year to sit behind Strief, and hopefully become a starter at RT in 2014.

Round 6- Kapron Lewis Moore [DL; Notre Dame] 6'4" 306 lbs.
Versatile defensive lineman that can play both the 5 and 3 technique. Lacking ideal length and knee injury history cause him to fall, but the Saints take a chance on him here.

Round 7- Bruce Taylor [ILB; Florida State] 6'2" 250 lbs.
Very instinctive player, but like Lewis Moore, has been plagued by injuries. If he can remain healthy he could be a solid rotational player at ILB in our 3-4 defense.

Let me start off by saying we don't make any major free agent signings except for retaining Jermon Bushrod...

I could actually see our draft being something simple, like thisÖ

1. Kenny Vaccaro SS Texas

A true playmaker on the back end of the defense and an instant upgrade over Roman Harper.

3. Robert Alford CB Southeast Louisiana

An impressive small school corner who isnít afraid to mix it up with the big boys.

4. Michael Buchanan OLB Illinois

Wilson is likely set as one outside backer, Buchanan provides depth behind Galette incase he fails to convert.

5. Jordan Rodgers QB Vanderbilt

Cap is tight and Daniels may move on. Rodgers is mobile, accurate and is a vocal leader. He may be Aaron Rodgers little brother but he reminds me of Drew Brees.

6. Montori Hughes DT Tennessee-Martin

Saints take a chance here on this troubled but talented defensive lineman to add to the rotation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of weird. I had us taking Buchanan and Hughes at one point. I kept switching things around until I got something I really liked. I wouldn't be mad if it played out that way though.

Adopt-a-Saint
thesolution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you guys is against drafting William Gholston or Devin Taylor in the mid round? I'm thinking
3. William Gholston DE
4. Zaviar Gooden LB
5. Michael Buchanan DE/OLB

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
Any of you guys is against drafting William Gholston or Devin Taylor in the mid round? I'm thinking
3. William Gholston DE
4. Zaviar Gooden LB
5. Michael Buchanan DE/OLB

He's got all the ability in the world.. Just can't seem to put it together

Adopt-a-Saint
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I watch Dion Jordan, the more I come away unimpressed. He gets bullied a lot against the run, and just tries to run past the OT on every passing play.

Adopt-a-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: