Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FLOODx's pre-combine Saints mock.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: FLOODx's pre-combine Saints mock. Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying I think we snag Anthony Spencer in FA.

We trade pick 15 to the Bears for pick 20, their 2013 2nd round pick, and 2014 5th round pick.

Round 1- Kawaan Short [DT; Purdue] 6'3" 310 lbs.
After trading back with the Bears, who jump both the Giants and Steelers to select Lane Johnson, the Saints get some Defensive Line help. The Saints need another playmaker on their D-Line. Kawann Short has the ability to push the pocket and disrupt plays in the backfield. In 2011, Short totaled 54 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and a forced fumble. This past season Short recorded 42 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four PBUs, four blocked kicks, two fumbles recovered and one forced fumble while battling an ankle injury.

Round 2- DJ Swearinger [SS; South Carolina] 5'11" 210 lbs.
Swearinger is an extremely physical DB that possesses good ball skills for the position. He should be an immediate upgrade over Roman Harper in coverage. With his physical style of play he'll also be able to help in run support. We'll finally have a player in our secondary that opposing players fear. Swearinger racked up double digit tackles in four games this past season, which includes games against LSU, Arkansas, and Tennessee. He also finished the season with two interceptions, and returned one for a touchdown versus Arkansas.

Round 3- Chase Thomas [OLB; Stanford] 6'4" 245 lbs.
Time to add some 3-4 personnel to our LB corp via the draft. The saints look to add depth to their front 7 here in the third round. Thomas is an experienced edge rusher, and has a knack for getting the the quarterback. He started his career at defensive end for the Stanford Cardinals, but since then he's made the switch to 3-4 OLB. Not only can he get to the quarterback, but he can also drop back into coverage from time to time and disrupt pass plays. Thomas finished the 2012 season with 7.5 sacks and an interception.

Round 4- Robert Alford [CB; Southeastern] 5'9" 185 lbs.
After having a productive career at a small school, Alford displayed his skills at the senior bowl. He showed his ability to play the pass in both man and zone coverage. He also added a spark to the return game, something the Saints could definitely use. Alford racked up 10 interceptions and twenty pass break ups over his college career.

Round 5- Terron Armstead [OT; Arkansas-Pine Bluff] 6'6" 305 lbs.
You can never have enough depth across the offensive line. Armstead has great size for the OT position. He's also a hell of an athlete with a reported 4.7-4.8 forty yard dash time. He'll most likely have a year to sit behind Strief, and hopefully become a starter at RT in 2014.

Round 6- Kapron Lewis Moore [DL; Notre Dame] 6'4" 306 lbs.
Versatile defensive lineman that can play both the 5 and 3 technique. Lacking ideal length and knee injury history cause him to fall, but the Saints take a chance on him here.

Round 7- Bruce Taylor [ILB; Florida State] 6'2" 250 lbs.
Very instinctive player, but like Lewis Moore, has been plagued by injuries. If he can remain healthy he could be a solid rotational player at ILB in our 3-4 defense.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Alot.

Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect draft, nothing to change here IMO!
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding another defensive lineman is high on the list in my opinion. In this draft, defensive tackle is the deepest position so the likelyhood of the Saints taking that player in round one is extremly high.

Why is another D-lineman needed?

Bunkley will be the NT, I think we all understand that but even in a 34 (especially in a 1 gap) the nose tackle these days plays at best 30-34% of the defensive snaps because of the amount of time defensives are in nickel and dime coverages. Hearing this, people are quick to say, "well worm, if that's the case shouldent we add another DB instead"? Well that depends on what your DC is trying to install. Rob Ryan wants to install a pressure defense so to me the Lineman is more important.

In passing situations, Bunkley will come off the field and Hicks will kick inside to NT to get a more pressure push up the middle. Jordan will maintain his spot on the right side but the LE position needs another Pass rusher. Even if were running a 2 man front, it would be Jordan and Hicks but you need a 3rd tackle in the rotation to keep guys fresh as well as preparing for injury. Remember, these are big boys who need to rotate to stay fresh. A 3rd DT/DE will play just as many defensive snaps as Hicks and likley more or the same as Bunkley. He may not play the 1st snap but he's a starter none the less.

Now back to your mock...

I love Short, I think he'd be a great player for our 3rd end in the rotation. He also possesses versality to play either DE spot and even NT in passing situations.

I really don't know when the saints will select or who they will select but for the reasons I've stated above, it's my opinion that our 1st pick in 2013 draft will be a versatile stout 34 DE/DT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. I didn't want to go that in depth on the explanation of the pick since I had to do the other rounds lol. Short is very disruptive.. I like him better than Sheldon Richardson. I think he's stronger and much more stout against the run.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only exception to this in my opinion is drafting a guy like BYU's Ezekiel Ansah if he's available. Ansah has the athletic ability and skill set to play OLB in Ryans scheme while also bring big and strong enough to come down as a LE when that 3rd DE is needed.

This would likley be the best case sceniero for the saints. They get the best of both worlds In Ansah and that is why he is my #1 prospect for the saints.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
The only exception to this in my opinion is drafting a guy like BYU's Ezekiel Ansah if he's available. Ansah has the athletic ability and skill set to play OLB in Ryans scheme while also bring big and strong enough to come down as a LE when that 3rd DE is needed.

This would likley be the best case sceniero for the saints. They get the best of both worlds In Ansah and that is why he is my #1 prospect for the saints.

The only thing I don't like about Ansah is that he's still learning. We need to win now, and I don't think he can come in day one and be a quality starter. I also don't know how much of a "teacher" Ryan is. I think we're going to go with someone that knows how to play the game of football, at not just one, but multiple positions. Short, Floyd, etc.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

The only thing I don't like about Ansah is that he's still learning. We need to win now, and I don't think he can come in day one and be a quality starter. I also don't know how much of a "teacher" Ryan is. I think we're going to go with someone that knows how to play the game of football, at not just one, but multiple positions. Short, Floyd, etc.

1. Ryan is regarded by his former players as one of the best teachers in the game. DeMarcus Ware is on record saying that Ryan roughy him more about the game of football and being a true linebacker than anyone throughout his career. This is a future hall of famer who has been coached by the likes of Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips assessment of Ryans ability to teach. That speaks volumes to me.

2. The one thing Ryan can't teach is how to possess rare physical tools. Ansah is overloaded with potential. Yes he's raw but I heard the same argument last season about Akiem Hicks and all of us wanted him to play more in 2012 and he's noe looked at as one of our brightest cornerstones on defense.

3. Ansah's versality is amazing... At BYU he played OlB, DE & NT in a 34 scheme. Ansah's problem is not tha he dosent understand the game, it's that he at times tries to not make mistakes. The senior bowl was the classic example of this. Throught the week of pratice Ansah was constantly thinking instead of attacking. He was worried more about not making a mistake than making plays. His coaches told him to cut it loose and that it was ok to make mistakes as long as he made them going 100 MPH.

What did Ansah do... Dominate the Senior bowl game!

What's funny is that is exactly how Rob Ryan coaches! Alot like GW, he wont burn you for making a mistake as long as your attacking an playing 100 MpH!

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember another guy that was a great physical specimen but people said that he was to raw, to much of a project...

Then Jimmy Graham was a Pro bowler in his 2nd season!

You can't teach a guy to get physical tools, he's born with that but u can mold it.

krewebrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already expressed how I feel about drafting a DL in the 1st round. Ryan doesn't run 3-3 nickels very often. He runs either 2-4 1-5 or 0-6 most of the time. I completely understand rotating linemen to keep them fresh but I'm expecting us to still have Buckley and Tom Johnson in my opinion two good rotational linemen. And Romeos if he can get healthy (he may be an outside linebacker though).

I am expecting us to draft another DL just not in the first or second (if we get one) rounds. I know that Pete Carroll got Irvin as a rotational player at 15 last year but I just think we could really use the pick somewhere else.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
I remember another guy that was a great physical specimen but people said that he was to raw, to much of a project...

Then Jimmy Graham was a Pro bowler in his 2nd season!

You can't teach a guy to get physical tools, he's born with that but u can mold it.

For as many of those guys that pans out, there's two that don't. I was ok with using that pick on Jimmy cause we had just won the Superbowl, and he was a third round pick. Coming off having the worst D in the league we can't afford to take many chances. Just my opinion.

Adopt-a-Saint
thesolution

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really show I agree with you WDW23. I kinda think Ryan scheme is built on CB. Look at what the Cowboys did in the off season last year. They draft Claiborne and sign Carr. I can see us signing Victor Butler, Ernie Sims, Terrence Knighton and drafting either Jonathan Banks or Kenny Vaccaro

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
I'm not really show I agree with you WDW23. I kinda think Ryan scheme is built on CB. Look at what the Cowboys did in the off season last year. They draft Claiborne and sign Carr. I can see us signing Victor Butler, Ernie Sims, Terrence Knighton and drafting either Jonathan Banks or Kenny Vaccaro

That's a very good point. We may choose to go after Cary Williams in FA over front seven, and go front seven early in the draft.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
thesolution wrote:

That's a very good point. We may choose to go after Cary Williams in FA over front seven, and go front seven early in the draft.

The reason corner was such an important get for the cowboys last season was because the Boys already had D-Ware & Spencer coming off the edge. I honestly don't believe that any of us feel we have even close to that here in New Orleans. If the boys had not had maybe the best pass rushing LB in the game in Ware and one of the most underrated OLB's in Spencer... do you really think the Cowboys would have felt that corner was their #1 need?

We have to keep things in perspective... Ryans defense calls for front seven pressure and man cover corners on the edge. Robinson and White were viewed as man cover guys coming out of college. No their not as gifted as the Cowboys pair but they aint as expensive either. You get what you pay for i guess. Sure the Cowboys didn't invest heaveily into the front line and that's because they possesses the most dangerous pass rusher in the NFL in Ware and Spencer is known as one of the top run stuffing backers. This is the reason Ryan opted to run more 2-1 & 0 fronts because he knew that was the best pass rushing group he could get on the field... his lineman (with the exception of Ratliff) had no pass rushers.

We have got to stop thinking that just because Ryan ran a certian scheme or look more often at other places that, that is what he will do here. Its all about personnel boys and girls!!! Ryan will play and call his sub packages to his strgenths of his defensive personnel, PERIOD!

He want to add versatile pass rushers to his front seven. If that comes by way of lineman or linebacker, which ever is the top overall player on the board then he will adjust his scheme to fit his personell.

IT'S THE REASON HE WAS HIRED!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: