Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Teammate Says LaMarr Woodley Was Out Of Shape & Awful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Man up and Say It to His Face! Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
Keith Butler didn't say don't use my name. It is also a clear case of a position coach trying to psych out and fire up a star player who he wants to take to the next level. Woodley has the talent to be one of the best defensive players in the entire NFL. Weight or not, he is a superior athlete. The coach is trying to get Wood to play to his level.

Tell you a funny story. I played college ball and was coming back from a major injury. I worked my butt off in the weight room and running, but I was a little gun shy with contact during spring drills. I was repeatedly told to just play like I did before the injury. "Don't play to avoid getting injured, just play." I had a couple bad practices. One day doing one on one hitting drills, I was getting my butt kicked. The head coach walked up and said, Jeez Hitman, I didn't know you were a (what rymes with wuss).

I didn't know that my brown skin could turn every shade of red. I got so pissed at the coach and my teammates laughing, I started lighting jokers up. I yelled back at the coach there's your mother (rymes with trucking &(rymes with mussy). The coach just winked at me. He got his point accross.

I was called out on the field with my family. These were the guys I went to battle with on gameday; not in the press and not behind my back. It's one thing to come from a coach and another to come from a player.

Anyone who has played this game understands that. If one of my teamates would have went to the univeristy press or local paper and said something, and I found out who, we would have had some issues. Very Happy

Not only getting a proper one from me, but my teammates as well. Locker room cancers are the worst. It betrays all that the brotherhood and teamwork that is taught from Pop Warner. Whoever said it to Ron Cook is dead wrong. Say it to Wood and then toteammates, coaches or whoever else iinside the ocker room, not in the press box.

I know what you mean. I played in high school and one year in college. Something changes when you put that mouthpiece in. Anyway, those that showed up, obviously out of shape and not dedicated to practice were always singled out. They were the ones that were always out of position, and just looked lost. It's like they had no pride wearing the uniform.

I remember a broken wrist I suffered in a pick-up game after school my junior year. I batted the ball away on a deep out...basically had to lay out to do it and landed wrong. Luckily, it was in the off-season, so I was healed up by August, but I was very tentative at first. The others were wondering why I looked awkward the first day back at camp. Especially considering the leadership position I held. I decided that I just had to get back in there and attack the bull by the horns, as it were.

And you know what, the next day, I grabbed my Trombone and held it with pride. And it didn't hurt. It was important for me to show, as Band President, that I wouldn't use an injury as an excuse to not practice hard and stay in shape. True story, BTW!

And now you all can see why I'm a little "off"... Laughing

Oh man that is classic. Laughing Good stuff!

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
Quote:
Safety Ryan Clark has comments on the leagueís website on his disappointment about these feelings going public.

ďMy biggest problem with that is not LaMarr, or is not someoneís feelings about LaMarr,Ē Clark said. ďMy problem is now itís public. We were talking about the Ravens earlier, we were talking about the brotherhood, we were talking about the family that they were. We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesnít get out to the public. So that is the problem.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_safety_ryan_clarke_tackles_lamarr_woodley_drama/12941206

Looks like you can take Ryan Clark off the accused list!

I have to agree with Clark. You don't say something like that to the media or outside the locker room. You go to him face to face and let him know how you feel. When will these Players learn that when something like that is said the media will play and over hype it til doomsday. Honestly they should have learned from the Mendenhall comments about Bin Laden.

I agree with you 100%. Truthfully, I could care less what Lamarr weighs. I do care what his performance on the field is though. He's been called fat since he was drafted. He wasn't too fat when he was sacking QB's during the 2008 play-offs. Bottem line is that we all want to see him play to his full potential. Because he has been hurt and isn't playing as well as he can, the reason must be that he is too fat and doesn't work out enough.

Diet secret: Perform on the field and you look a little slimmer and no one questions your work ethic. The comments to the press were bad, but now it's up to Wood to comeback. He knows that he hasn't gotten the results that he would want.

I remember a few years ago when several people in the forum discussed Bengals RT Andre' Smith after seeing him in a t-shirt at his individual work-out. Whew! He certainly didn't pass the eye test, but he can play football though.

The Rams said the same thing about Jerome Bettis after his rookie year. That fat kid from Detroit worked out fine for the Steelers, and so will this fat kid from Detroit.

If he gets back to an all pro level he may be doing Sensa or Subway commercials this time next year. Very Happy

kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
I cannot stand "anonymous players" who go to the media and talk under anonymity.

how do you know it wasn't Ron Cook going to the player and promising anonymity? Normally I'm with you, but this is the type of thing that would cause more harm than good if a name was released. Instead of "Woodley needs to get in shape", which is true, it becomes "Woodley and <player> are feuding", which is useless

Ketnaab, I like you. We have some spirited debates so I'll take the bait and have a spirited discussion with you.

It doesn't matter what Ron Cook or any other media person promises. There is a brotherhood and comradeship among players. It is no different with our military teams. Family is family. I am not taking Woodlry off the hook for his conditioning or lack thereof. You let fans and media like us discuss those things in forums, on line and in the press. You don't throw your teammate under the bus. Period!

I totally get what you're saying. Here's the thing. His own positioning coach called him out, in public, and made a big stink about it, and Woodley STILL didn't get the message. Sometimes, it takes a serious slap across the face to get the message across. It would be improper for someone to state outright "I'm James Harrison and I think Woodley was a chubby bubby last year". The focus becomes less about Woodley and more about some supposed "feud" within the locker room. I definitely get your point about not throwing a teammate under a bus. However, Woodley wouldn't fit under a bus so I don't think that's applicable here. When you make $60 million and your conditioning and performance IMMEDIATELY drops off after you sign your contract yet you still keep your face in the media constantly, then you open yourself to scrutiny.

Woodley's best way to shut this guy (and everyone else) up? Show up to camp 265 and ripped. He's still a young dude, he can do it

Steeler Hitman wrote:
When you don't perform and are 10 - 20 lbs heavier, you will be criticized in the public by the fans and media.

especially when it comes hot on the heels of signing a huge $60 million contract. as for who said it, I think the idea that Ziggy said it is nonsense. This guy has done nothing but praise everybody in the organization from the Rooneys to the ballboy anytime he's asked.

I'd say it was either Harrison or Ryan Clark, 2 guys who are about as outspoken as it gets on this team. Ask them a question, they usually answer, and not always in a "politically correct" manner.

I would agree that Clark and Harrison are not always PC with comments, but they know the golden rules. At 8 - 8 no one has the room to say anything. No one.

yes, can't argue with that one, but we also don't know how the conversation got initiated. Remember, reporters can be little snakes. We also don't know if there's resentment for Woodley putting on such a public face. Several players called Ben out in years past, both Harrison and Clark have been candid with their comments to the media. This isn't a young guy we're talking about. This isn't some rookie or try-hard kid trying to make the team who boogered up. This is the highest paid player on the Steelers behind Roethlisberger. Perhaps he's developed a diva attitude within the locker room that we don't see, and he just won't listen to anybody?

Something many of us seem to be forgetting...this is NOT the first time Woodley has been publically called out for being heavy and out of shape. Who publically called Woodley out the first time? It was his Position coach, Keith Butler:

Keith Butler wrote:
He just wasnít in shape,Ē Butler said. ďHeíll tell you that. If he donít tell you that, Iíll tell you that, I donít care. He has to get his big butt in shape, I tell him that all of the time: Donít come to camp weighing 290

Keith Butler didn't say don't use my name. It is also a clear case of a position coach trying to psych out and fire up a star player who he wants to take to the next level. Woodley has the talent to be one of the best defensive players in the entire NFL. Weight or not, he is a superior athlete. The coach is trying to get Wood to play to his level.
perhaps that's what the player was also trying to do? Troy, Keisel, Harrison, and (I believe) Ike all made comments about some players on the team just expecting to win. I'd be willing to bet that many have said outright to Woodley, 'bro, you're too big, lighten up, get your quickness and your conditioning back' but if Woodley ignores his position coach, apparently he'll ignore the "friendly" advice from his teammates.

Tell you a funny story. I played college ball and was coming back from a major injury. I worked my butt off in the weight room and running, but I was a little gun shy with contact during spring drills. I was repeatedly told to just play like I did before the injury. "Don't play to avoid getting injured, just play." I had a couple bad practices. One day doing one on one hitting drills, I was getting my butt kicked. The head coach walked up and said, Jeez Hitman, I didn't know you were a (what rymes with wuss).

I didn't know that my brown skin could turn every shade of red. I got so pissed at the coach and my teammates laughing, I started lighting jokers up. I yelled back at the coach there's your mother (rymes with trucking &(rymes with mussy). The coach just winked at me. He got his point accross.

I was called out on the field with my family. These were the guys I went to battle with on gameday; not in the press and not behind my back. It's one thing to come from a coach and another to come from a player. what if it would've been a former defensive player of the year who called you out?

Anyone who has played this game understands that. If one of my teamates would have went to the univeristy press or local paper and said something, and I found out who, we would have had some issues. Very Happy yes, and I totally get that, I'd be the same way. Now what would've happened if you wouldn't have responded to the coach calling you out? Woodley didn't get the point when Butler called him out. What are teammates to do now? In school, you can just get cut. Obviously Woodley's not going to get cut, and when you have a $60 million dude who isn't listening to anybody, what do you do? You do whatever the heck it takes to try to light a fire under his [inappropriate/removed]. Woodley's a media guy. HE's all over facebook and twitter and such. I don't begrudge him that in the least. But that's a form of communication he uses, so be it.

You responded when your coach called you out. Woodley didn't. I have zero issues with him getting called out publicly. You sign a $60 million contract and then ignore your coach after 2 consecutive seasons of being invisible? Sorry, but it's open season.

If Butler had never called Woodley out initially, I'd be in 100% agreement with you. But Coach called him out, and he ignored the coach.

Not only getting a proper one from me, but my teammates as well. Locker room cancers are the worst. It betrays all that the brotherhood and teamwork that is taught from Pop Warner. Whoever said it to Ron Cook is dead wrong. Say it to Wood and then toteammates, coaches or whoever else iinside the ocker room, not in the press box.
[b]
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Diet secret: Perform on the field and you look a little slimmer and no one questions your work ethic.

yessir.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been invisible for one and a half seasons now (9 sacks through 8 games till he did his hamstring). But I do have faith in him to return to an All-Pro, DPOY level that he was at before his hammy issues started.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
I cannot stand "anonymous players" who go to the media and talk under anonymity.

how do you know it wasn't Ron Cook going to the player and promising anonymity? Normally I'm with you, but this is the type of thing that would cause more harm than good if a name was released. Instead of "Woodley needs to get in shape", which is true, it becomes "Woodley and <player> are feuding", which is useless

Ketnaab, I like you. We have some spirited debates so I'll take the bait and have a spirited discussion with you.

It doesn't matter what Ron Cook or any other media person promises. There is a brotherhood and comradeship among players. It is no different with our military teams. Family is family. I am not taking Woodlry off the hook for his conditioning or lack thereof. You let fans and media like us discuss those things in forums, on line and in the press. You don't throw your teammate under the bus. Period!

I totally get what you're saying. Here's the thing. His own positioning coach called him out, in public, and made a big stink about it, and Woodley STILL didn't get the message. Sometimes, it takes a serious slap across the face to get the message across. It would be improper for someone to state outright "I'm James Harrison and I think Woodley was a chubby bubby last year". [b]The focus becomes less about Woodley and more about some supposed "feud" within the locker room.

[color=red]And that is exactly what happened. You just don't call your teammate out in he media. These are Alpha Males. You man up and say it to your teammates face. I don't think Coach Butler called him out, he tried to motivate him. He was honest and frank with Lamarr. Coaches can talk to the media about their players, but their is a decorum with that as well. Butler didn't cross the line. His anonymous teammate did though. I get your point though.

I definitely get your point about not throwing a teammate under a bus. However, Woodley wouldn't fit under a bus so I don't think that's applicable here.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I must have been thinking it was a tricked out bus with hydrolics.

When you make $60 million and your conditioning and performance IMMEDIATELY drops off after you sign your contract yet you still keep your face in the media constantly, then you open yourself to scrutiny.

I agree 100%. That is for us fans and media to do. Your teammate should never say it outside of the locker room. That's my only issue.

Woodley's best way to shut this guy (and everyone else) up? Show up to camp 265 and ripped. He's still a young dude, he can do it[/b][/color]

Agree completely. That's where it is at now.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
When you don't perform and are 10 - 20 lbs heavier, you will be criticized in the public by the fans and media.

especially when it comes hot on the heels of signing a huge $60 million contract. as for who said it, I think the idea that Ziggy said it is nonsense. This guy has done nothing but praise everybody in the organization from the Rooneys to the ballboy anytime he's asked.

I'd say it was either Harrison or Ryan Clark, 2 guys who are about as outspoken as it gets on this team. Ask them a question, they usually answer, and not always in a "politically correct" manner.

I would agree that Clark and Harrison are not always PC with comments, but they know the golden rules. At 8 - 8 no one has the room to say anything. No one.

yes, can't argue with that one, but we also don't know how the conversation got initiated. Remember, reporters can be little snakes. We also don't know if there's resentment for Woodley putting on such a public face. Several players called Ben out in years past, both Harrison and Clark have been candid with their comments to the media. This isn't a young guy we're talking about. This isn't some rookie or try-hard kid trying to make the team who boogered up. This is the highest paid player on the Steelers behind Roethlisberger. Perhaps he's developed a diva attitude within the locker room that we don't see, and he just won't listen to anybody?

I don't have the impression of Woodley being a diva. Does he love to talk? Yes. Does he love the media? Yes. Take a page out ofJoe Flacco's book and hold up your ring. The bling will do all the talking for you. Perform and earn another ring.

Something many of us seem to be forgetting...this is NOT the first time Woodley has been publically called out for being heavy and out of shape. Who publically called Woodley out the first time? It was his Position coach, Keith Butler:

Keith Butler wrote:
He just wasnít in shape,Ē Butler said. ďHeíll tell you that. If he donít tell you that, Iíll tell you that, I donít care. He has to get his big butt in shape, I tell him that all of the time: Donít come to camp weighing 290

perhaps that's what the player was also trying to do? Troy, Keisel, Harrison, and (I believe) Ike all made comments about some players on the team just expecting to win. I'd be willing to bet that many have said outright to Woodley, 'bro, you're too big, lighten up, get your quickness and your conditioning back' but if Woodley ignores his position coach, apparently he'll ignore the "friendly" advice from his teammates.

I was called out on the field with my family. These were the guys I went to battle with on gameday; not in the press and not behind my back. It's one thing to come from a coach and another to come from a player. what if it would've been a former defensive player of the year who called you out?

Anyone who has played this game understands that. If one of my teamates would have went to the univeristy press or local paper and said something, and I found out who, we would have had some issues. Very Happy

yes, and I totally get that, I'd be the same way. Now what would've happened if you wouldn't have responded to the coach calling you out?

[b][color=red]Lost my job or eventually got cut. My coach would have had a face to face. He was a former Marine, so he had a way of communicating. He got his point accross in more ways than one Laughing

Woodley didn't get the point when Butler called him out.

I agree that he didn't respond well if at all.

What are teammates to do now?

Tell you how they feel. It is a brotherhood. You don't break that.

In school, you can just get cut.

It depends on where you go to school. I am from Western PA and there were cuts in 9th grade, JV, Varsity as well as college where I attended.

Obviously Woodley's not going to get cut, and when you have a $60 million dude who isn't listening to anybody, what do you do? You do whatever the heck it takes to try to light a fire under his [inappropriate/removed]. Woodley's a media guy. HE's all over facebook and twitter and such. I don't begrudge him that in the least. But that's a form of communication he uses, so be it.

You responded when your coach called you out. Woodley didn't. I have zero issues with him getting called out publicly.

[color=orange]I don't mind what Keith Butler did, but his teammate is wrong. I can't let that go. You never leave your wingman and you don't throw your teammate under the bus, even if he's too fat to fit under it.[/color]

You sign a $60 million contract and then ignore your coach after 2 consecutive seasons of being invisible? Sorry, but it's open season.

If Butler had never called Woodley out initially, I'd be in 100% agreement with you. But Coach called him out, and he ignored the coach. [/b][/color]

[b]

As always great conversation. I respect your insight.

at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he didn't bring a loaded gun to airport security!!
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall many on this team questioned Ben publicly when it came to concussions, Hines Ward being one of them.

I had much more problem and concern with that than I did this. Woodley needs to be called out IMO. I understand the locker room and within house but this has been going on for years so obviously that idea isn't working. To me its shape up or ship out, I could care less. If this was like a first instance or a one time thing it would and should definitely stay in house but this in my eyes is very different.

I was a huge fan of his coming out of Michigan, had some concerns about his speed and ability to reach the qb but was still excited we got him. He lived up to and exceeded expectations year 1 & year 2 but since then it has been a very similar pattern of slow starts and the effort & work he has put in seems to only equal his ceiling of those first two years when improvement should've been natural from that point. "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse"

...you have a forum resume?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been saying for a long time, "When Woodley isn't effective we suffer". Usually....we suffer losses. Im sure you have all been saying something very similar. The fact is...I DO care what he weighs. He has to be in football shape. He has to be at a weight that promotes his talents, not hinders them. And frankly if he cant get his act together, he should be benched until he does.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Man up and Say It to His Face! Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Oh man that is classic. Laughing Good stuff!

Glad I could brighten you and MJY's day...

I really am little ... off! Wink

Band Geeks...what-a-ya gonna do....

Sorry I've not leant one single "productive" thought onto this discussion on Lamarr...so hear you go.

He's fat. We know, it, the team knows it, the press knows it. If he doesn't want to get called out, privately or publically, work out and get in shape. If he doesn't care, well then, he doesn't care and he a lazy 60 million dollar man...hope he spends it wisely, cause it the last big payday he'll see!

I'm more concerned about the shape he "isn't" in, than how/why the comment got leaked. People say stupid stuff out loud all the time...half the time they didn't mean it to come out, and in this case, if they did, then speaks to their true character, then, doesn't it, if they din't tell Woodley to his face.

It's all dumb drama, IMO.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is apparently already in Zona training. He's at the same place that Clark goes to and he always seems like a "well conditioned young man". Even if he's not that young anymore.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ward: Ya stil haven't played your mighty trombone for us yet!! That is pretty sweet that you were a football player / band camp geek. Im jealous!
bzane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Seen the espn photo shoot of woodley Trent Richardson and lynch doing a run dmc shoot. Woodley was so fat it was sickening!

Woodley's looking like a out of shape OL

You're right! LaMarr's belly hangs down like his nuts!
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@Ward: Ya stil haven't played your mighty trombone for us yet!! That is pretty sweet that you were a football player / band camp geek. Im jealous!

Yep, everyone wants to be a band geek!! And, as my wife puts it, I was "king of the geeks"...which is even worse than just being one!!!

...and BTW, haven't touched a trombone in 20 years, so doubt you'd want to hear me play at this point...heck, I'm not sure you would wanted to hear me play back then!! Laughing

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
If the teammate wants to stay anonymous, than I'll say it:

I, stillersenat, say that Lamarr Woodley was out of shape and awful last season.

by chance were (are?) you the LG? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: