Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RB Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devils1854

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we draft someone that won't cost millions, isn't 30 years old, and doesnt have 2400 career carries on his body.

I mean we don't need a work horse. We are probably looking at someone to come in and give probably 150 carries max, since we already have Quiz and Snelling.

This isn't Madden. No to Jackson, Greene, Williams, and whoever else will get cut this offseason.

#JDI
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep on bring up Snelling but its clear the coaches don't see him the way you do. He's a valuable player, but he won't be significant contributor running the ball. He has under 90 carries three years in a row and topped out at a whopping 18 this year. He's probably going to battle bradie Ewing for the short yardage role this year, he's a couple of carries, couple of catches a game kind of guy. If things dont fall the way we like, i dont see much downside on bringing in a vet on a short term deal
devils1854

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
You keep on bring up Snelling but its clear the coaches don't see him the way you do. He's a valuable player, but he won't be significant contributor running the ball. He has under 90 carries three years in a row and topped out at a whopping 18 this year. He's probably going to battle bradie Ewing for the short yardage role this year, he's a couple of carries, couple of catches a game kind of guy. If things dont fall the way we like, i dont see much downside on bringing in a vet on a short term deal

Snelling also caught 31 balls last year. He played a very valuable role in our offense last year, even though he only got 18 carries.

Turned had 222 carries, and Quiz had 94. So we will be looking to redistribute those 222 from Turner. Quiz's load increased as the season went on, so it's safe to say he will probably get upwards of 150 carries next year, so we we be looking at distributing another 150. Snelling could get some of those carries, but even if he doesn't, he still plays a valuable role in the passing game, as a very good blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

With those two pieces in the backfield already, I see no reason in bringing someone over the hill, that will cost in the millions, when we know we aren't going back to a Mularkey offense. We can get the same valuable production(125-150 touches) from a 3rd-5th rd pick, who doesn't break the bank, which will allow us to save some cap room to resign players, and maybe a free agent that is needed(TE/DE/CB).

#JDI
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

Snelling also caught 31 balls last year. He played a very valuable role in our offense last year, even though he only got 18 carries.

Turned had 222 carries, and Quiz had 94. So we will be looking to redistribute those 222 from Turner. Quiz's load increased as the season went on, so it's safe to say he will probably get upwards of 150 carries next year, so we we be looking at distributing another 150. Snelling could get some of those carries, but even if he doesn't, he still plays a valuable role in the passing game, as a very good blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

With those two pieces in the backfield already, I see no reason in bringing someone over the hill, that will cost in the millions, when we know we aren't going back to a Mularkey offense. We can get the same valuable production(125-150 touches) from a 3rd-5th rd pick, who doesn't break the bank, which will allow us to save some cap room to resign players, and maybe a free agent that is needed(TE/DE/CB).

I don't think you get what I'm saying, IF the picks don't fall in a way we like and we don't get a back, Snelling clearly isn't a guy they view as a 100 carry back anymore. So, we not get a proven commodity on a 1-2 year deal.

Even if we give quizz 12-15 carries we need another 200 or so. That's important production we need replaced, it's not nothing. Also, why not use that saved pick on drafting a te/de/CB vs spending it on a less talented running back?

I'm not saying lets just sign a vet, I'm saying lets not pass up better players just because we locked on getting a rb
ramsgoooo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

how is Jackson "over the hill"?

Sorry bout it, Oakland. You can enjoy your 1 playoff win and then get back to losing 85 games next season.

Was said in 2012^^
duke2056

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is you guys would look to bring in Jackson because you are easily one of the best teams in the league, and the last thing you need is to bring in a rookie at RB who ends up sucking and badly hurting your chances of going far.
Your current window for success is closing with guys like Roddy aging, Gonzo MAYBE coming back one more year............at least on the offensive side of the ball anyway.

Jackson won't be some world beater, but he sure as heck won't be a weakness, and he would certainly be a lot better than Turner.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
My guess is you guys would look to bring in Jackson because you are easily one of the best teams in the league, and the last thing you need is to bring in a rookie at RB who ends up sucking and badly hurting your chances of going far.
Your current window for success is closing with guys like Roddy aging, Gonzo MAYBE coming back one more year............at least on the offensive side of the ball anyway.

Jackson won't be some world beater, but he sure as heck won't be a weakness, and he would certainly be a lot better than Turner.

This. We could bring in Jackson and pray tony g comes back for one more season. Then we could draft Lattimore and let Quizz and Jackson be the primary backs while we slowly integrate Lattimore into the offense once he is fully healthy. Think about it. Lattimore would be a steal in the 3-4. I doubt he will make it past the 4th. Jackson has way more in the tank then turner did. Jackson is good for another 2 seasons. Plus with all the attention our receiving corps demands Jackson will be seeing a lot less loaded boxes trust me. When he was with St. Louis all the other teams defense had to do was Stack the box. If Jackson does indeed come here, there's no way teams will be able to load the box as much as they did against the rams and if they do Ryan will have a field day.
Lentz33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:

Honestly, a rookie couldn't play worse than Turner did last season.

Adopt-a-Falcon: Matt Ryan - 76-111 68.4% 965 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs 105.2 QB Rating
JFalconFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not against bringing in Jackson... But I don't think it will happen. Heresy what we know. Were most likely going DE in round one... I do think we could bring in a FA RB. But who is to say we don't go Quiz and a 2nd or 3rd round rb. Dallas has proven you can't use a stable of RBs which is why you don't see much of Snelling IMO. I think he and a 2nd or 3rd round rb ie K Davis or Lattimore may fight it out for the num 2 spot with aforementioned rookie eventually taking over hopefully bc both those guys have huge upside.

JGold on the Sig

Atlanta Falcons and LSU Tigers all the way!
templesfalcons

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'll pass on Lattimore for the simple fact that I don't trust his knees at all. As of right now he has ACL tears in both knees with the latest one being the worst injury I've ever seen in my life. Let's land SJax and let Quiz back him up so we don't have to waste draft picks!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(completely an outsiders view)

First I think there is a very good chance they take a mighty swing at Steven Jackson, secondly, even if they land Jackson I expect Atlanta to draft a running back.

I see Atlanta with a running game very similar to that of San Fransisco in the respect that Frank Gore absolutely rips through defenses. Steven Jackson, I believe would do the same thing in Atlanta.
D0 TH3 D3W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who would be interesting to see in red and black?

Chris Ivory. Obviously this is only if the 'Aint's don't slap him with a 1st or 2nd round RFA tender.

RIP Joe Pa
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
(completely an outsiders view)

First I think there is a very good chance they take a mighty swing at Steven Jackson, secondly, even if they land Jackson I expect Atlanta to draft a running back.

I see Atlanta with a running game very similar to that of San Fransisco in the respect that Frank Gore absolutely rips through defenses. Steven Jackson, I believe would do the same thing in Atlanta.

Don't see the falcons taking a RB in FA and the draft. I can't think of any team that has 5 RB's on their roster at 1 time.

Jackson, Quizz, Snelling, Smith(just resigned today for 2 years), Ewing Then you add in a drafted RB that makes 5 RB's and 1 FB.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

templesfalcons wrote:
Honestly, I'll pass on Lattimore for the simple fact that I don't trust his knees at all. As of right now he has ACL tears in both knees with the latest one being the worst injury I've ever seen in my life. Let's land SJax and let Quiz back him up so we don't have to waste draft picks!
if you knew the guys I knew at So. Car, you'd disagree...

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
templesfalcons wrote:
if you knew the guys I knew at So. Car, you'd disagree...

Like players or coaches? I don't care for a name just a general description lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: