Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Flawless Pre-Combine Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Flawless Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

I'm not usually this excited or this far along in the draft process due to being too depressed to think about football until the month of the draft but this year is obviously different.

NOW.....LETS REPEAT!

Notable Off-Season Moves

- Joe Flacco re-signed
- Bryant McKinnie re-signed to 2 year deal
- Ed Reed re-signed to 2 year deal
- Anquan Boldin extended
- Jacoby Jones extended
- Dannel Ellerbe signs with Oakland
- Paul Kruger signs with Seattle
- Cary Williams signs with Tampa Bay
- Matt Birk retires
- Bobbie Williams retires

2013 NFL Draft (Ravens)

** TRADE ** Trade w/ Arizona (#32 for #38, #71)

Round 2, Pick #38 - Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

NFL Comparison: Takeo Spikes
Tape: Kevin Minter vs Clemson (Bowl Game - 2012)

** TRADE ** Trade w/ Carolina (#64, #94 for #44)

Round 2, Pick #44 - Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

NFL Comparison: NaVorro Bowman
Tape: Arthur Brown vs Baylor (RG3)

Round 3, Pick #71 - Eric Reid, FS, LSU

NFL Comparison: Mark Barron
Tape: Eric Reid vs Texas A&M 2012

Round 4, Pick #126 - Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois

NFL Comparison: Kamerion Wimbley
Tape: Michael Buchanan vs Western Michigan 2012

Round 4, Compensatory Pick - Khaled Holmes, C, USC

NFL Comparison: Brian De La Puente
Tape: Khaled Holmes vs Utah 2011 (Star Lotulelei)

Round 5,Pick #158 - Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

NFL Comparison: Matt Spaeth
Tape: Michael Williams vs. Mississippi State (2012)

Round 5, Compensatory Pick - Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas Jayhawks

Round 6, Pick #190 - Joe Vellano, DT, Maryland

Tape: Joe Vellano highlight tape (2011)

Round 6, Compensatory Pick - Leon Sandcastle

NFL Comparsion: Deion Sanders
Tape: Tyrann Mathieu- Actual Pick (2011 Highlights)

Round 6, Compensatory Pick
- Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vanderbilt

Tape: Jordan Rodgers vs Florida 2011

Round 7, Pick #222 - Gilbert Pena, DT, Mississippi

2013 Depth Chart

Offense
QB: Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Rodgers
RB: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Bobby Rainey, Anthony Allen
FB: Vonta Leach
TE: Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, Michael Williams
WR: Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson
WR: Anquan Boldin, Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter
LT: Bryant McKinnie, Tanner Hawkinson
LG: Kelechi Osemele, Jah Reid
C: Gino Gradkowski, Khaled Holmes
RG: Marshal Yanda, Jah Reid
RT: Michael Oher, Ramon Harewood, Tanner Hawkinson

Defense
DT: Haloti Ngata, DeAngelo Tyson, Joe Vellano
NT: Terrence Cody, Joe Vellano, Gilbert Pena
DE: Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee
ROLB: Terrell Suggs, Michael Buchanan, Adrian Hamilton
WILB: Arthur Brown, Jameel McClain, Brendon Ayanbadejo
MILB: Kevin Minter, Josh Bynes
LOLB: Courtney Upshaw, Albert McClellan
LCB: Lardarius Webb, Corey Graham, Tyrann Mathieu
FS: Ed Reed, Eric Reid
SS: Bernard Pollard, Christian Thompson
RCB: Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson

KR: Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson
PR: Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

Lets see who paid attention and who didn't Cool

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this mock. It would be awesome if you didn't have them taking Mathieu, but in the 6th round that's not bad. I was going to use Sandcastle in my mock(s) whenever I got around to doing it but you beat me to it. Laughing

About the only thing I have a bone to pick about is the third round pick. That's the farthest I've seen anybody have Reid drop but I wouldn't be too surprised to see it happen. I'm not a big fan of him at all but if he was there at Baltimore's third round pick he would probably be the best candidate for BPA so even though Reed was re-signed it would be acceptable. I still wouldn't like it that much though as I don't see Reid as a center fielder at all in the BFL. He's more SS than FS in my opinion.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I really like this mock. It would be awesome if you didn't have them taking Mathieu, but in the 6th round that's not bad. I was going to use Sandcastle in my mock(s) whenever I got around to doing it but you beat me to it. Laughing

About the only thing I have a bone to pick about is the third round pick. That's the farthest I've seen anybody have Reid drop but I wouldn't be too surprised to see it happen. I'm not a big fan of him at all but if he was there at Baltimore's third round pick he would probably be the best candidate for BPA so even though Reed was re-signed it would be acceptable. I still wouldn't like it that much though as I don't see Reid as a center fielder at all in the BFL. He's more SS than FS in my opinion.

Yeah, I was getting a little tired/restless at that point, because I was ready to get this posted, so I just said to hell with it and took him. I realize he's Cincinnati bound, though.

As for Reid, I've actually seen a couple mocks with him going in the third. I don't think there will be too many teams taking safeties in the first couple rounds and the ones that do should take Elam, Cyprien, Vaccaro, Swearinger and most likely a reach or two. I think the luxury of learning under Ed for his first couple of years, while playing in a similar role as Nakamura and Zbikowski, could really benefit him and his center field skills. And if nothing else, we would be able to say Reeeeeid just a little while longer after Ed retires.

Thanks for the feedback c0, always appreciated.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Boodgyman5220

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not going to rate your draft, even though i like it. but i will say that i don't think we let kruger, ellerbe, and williams walk. i think we will let 2/3 walk but one of them will come back, hopefully/most likely danelle. but i think one of them will be back

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like the draft very much aside from the Mathieu pick. I think he's off our boards. I feel like we may have gotten "lucky" with a few of these picks though. I don't see Minter falling nearly that far personally (I personally think he goes top 20), and I don't think Reid falls that far either. But if they were there in the spots you have us, they are awesome picks.

As for the FA portion, I agree with the poster above -- I don't think we let all 3 of our young defenders leave in FA. It's just too much to replace. I think we keep at least 1, and personally I think it'll be Ellerbe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the picks are a little too much of a stretch at this point. I can't see Minter falling outside of the top 25 picks... and I could easily see him going top 15. He looked like the best player on that LSU defense this year from the games I've seen. He does all that you can ask of an ILB. He'd probably have to score a 1 on his wonderlic and make it rain in a few clubs for him to slip to that point in the second. I do think that Te'O could be a 'possibility' to see that same slide. We'd still pick up two of the top 3 ILBs in this class with that switch.

I'm not a fan of Reid, but if he falls to the 3rd round then I think it's a solid pick. Buchanan is another guy that I think goes higher than what you've got him going. I'd easily swap out Reid for Buchanan in the 3rd IRL. But if he falls, he'd be a nice developmental pass rushing option.

Holmes in the 4th isn't something I'm a huge fan of. We just selected a 4th round center. If we did grab a center in this draft than I would've hoped that he had both C/OG versatility.

I like Mike Williams. I'm a fan of Hawkinson. Joe Vellano has been in a previous mock of mines.

But I do have to give this mock draft an A, the Sandcastle pick is what really put it over the top.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linebackers, aren't taken that highly anymore, unless there's someone with HUGE potential like Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly. Just look at the last few years, there's been a couple instances where there wasn't an ILB taken in the first round. Let's face it, it's not a position in high demand. Teams are coveting cornerbacks, pass rushers, lineman, receivers, and quarterbacks. I can easily foresee a scenario where there's Ogletree or Te'o or neither taken in the first round and the first linebacker doesn't come off the board until the top of the second. A good reason for Ozzie to trade down. This is VERY possible.

Thanks for all of your comments gentleman, keep them coming!

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
Linebackers, aren't taken that highly anymore, unless there's someone with HUGE potential like Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly. Just look at the last few years, there's been a couple instances where there wasn't an ILB taken in the first round. Let's face it, it's not a position in high demand. Teams are coveting cornerbacks, pass rushers, lineman, receivers, and quarterbacks. I can easily foresee a scenario where there's Ogletree or Te'o or neither taken in the first round and the first linebacker doesn't come off the board until the top of the second. A good reason for Ozzie to trade down. This is VERY possible.

This is true.

But Ogletree's arrest in conjunction with his positive test at Georgia might cause a ripple effect too, and I could easily see him getting the Burfict treatment.

And that ripple could cause as many as 4 ILBs to go between picks 15-35, which in your trade scenarios, leaves us on the outside looking in if we are targeting Minter and/or Brown. Its a risky proposition to trade down and still think we can get Minter or Brown, let alone both of them.

I just don't see it happening, especially since there are some very strong drafting teams with similar cap issues who could be looking for help in their LB corps in this draft, all of whom draft ahead of us before we trade down.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:

This isn't a good point.

Linebackers are indeed still taken highly in the draft, you just mentioned with your 2nd point the logic that I will use to counter your first.

There is a gap in your reasoning that you've yet to find. The gap? The linebackers that have been taken in the first round like Mayo, Willis, Kuechly... all of those guys were more than just two down thumper types- (those are the kinds of LBers that AREN'T going in the first round- the thumpers.)

But this class is perhaps the most stacked ILB class in recent memory. And Kevin Minter is the 'best' (in terms of talent) of the bunch. He's a very good cover linebacker, has high level instincts, and is more dominant in stopping the run than Dont'a Hightower. Minter is every bit in that Mayo, Kuechly level in terms of all of the abilities he brings to the table.

And when you look at the other ILBs in this class, you've got plenty of guys who are beasts against the run, but also very good in pass coverage. Those kinds of ILBs are valued highly in the draft. Those kinds of players have gone in the top half of the draft in recent memory. This draft could see players full, I agree, but I believe this isn't because the position will be neglected early, but rather because it is so stacked and teams may play the waiting game with it. But Minter is the best bet in this class and... the cream rises.

But like I said, I could see Te'O falling if only because some NFL decision makers may be weary of him... and if he falls, he could slide via a chain reaction where no one wants to be the team to take him because they must think other people know something that they don't. But I think that will depend on interviews and how comfortable teams might be with the other talents at the top of the draft at that position.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh!

I forgot to mention in my last post, another reason for the lack of ILBs selected in the first could be to due weaker classes, sure.

But you brought up another good point I hadn't even thought of, that teams could play the waiting game, because like you said, this class is perhaps the most stacked ILB class in recent memory, and instead splurge on the positions I mentioned earlier. Which would be nothing out of the ordinary but rather, typical.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Last edited by BareYourTeeth on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
d'oh!

I forgot to mention in my last post, another reason for the lack of ILBs selected in the first could be to due weaker classes, sure.

But you brought up another good point I hadn't even thought of, that teams could play the waiting game because, like you said, this class is perhaps the most stacked ILB class in recent memory and instead splurge on the positions I mentioned earlier. Which would be nothing out of the ordinary but rather, typical.

That would be a fair point.

However this class is also insanely deep at the edge threat spot... which is a position that tends to be all the rage now-a-days. The DL talent is also deep to a point. The OL talents are also deep. So the waiting game could invariably be applied to many of the positions (outside of QB) that many consider to be the rage... and it could essentially cancel each other out. Either position could experience benefit or gain. But that being said, like I mentioned, Minter has everything you could look for in an ILB prospect. He's for sure a top 15-20 talent in this class. So all things remaining equal, I can't see a scenario where he falls out of the first round. At best, I think we might have a shot at him with our first. At worse, I think he goes around pick #12... whichever team in that area needs an ILB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flawless Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
I'm not usually this excited or this far along in the draft process due to being too depressed to think about football until the month of the draft but this year is obviously different.

NOW.....LETS REPEAT!

Notable Off-Season Moves

- Joe Flacco re-signed
- Bryant McKinnie re-signed to 2 year deal
- Ed Reed re-signed to 2 year deal
- Anquan Boldin extended
- Jacoby Jones extended
- Dannel Ellerbe signs with Oakland
- Paul Kruger signs with Seattle
- Cary Williams signs with Tampa Bay
- Matt Birk retires
- Bobbie Williams retires

2013 NFL Draft (Ravens)

** TRADE ** Trade w/ Arizona (#32 for #38, #71)

Round 2, Pick #38 - Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

NFL Comparison: Takeo Spikes
Tape: Kevin Minter vs Clemson (Bowl Game - 2012)

** TRADE ** Trade w/ Carolina (#64, #94 for #44)

Round 2, Pick #44 - Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

NFL Comparison: NaVorro Bowman
Tape: Arthur Brown vs Baylor (RG3)

Round 3, Pick #71 - Eric Reid, FS, LSU

NFL Comparison: Mark Barron
Tape: Eric Reid vs Texas A&M 2012

Round 4, Pick #126 - Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois

NFL Comparison: Kamerion Wimbley
Tape: Michael Buchanan vs Western Michigan 2012

Round 4, Compensatory Pick - Khaled Holmes, C, USC

NFL Comparison: Brian De La Puente
Tape: Khaled Holmes vs Utah 2011 (Star Lotulelei)

Round 5,Pick #158 - Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

NFL Comparison: Matt Spaeth
Tape: Michael Williams vs. Mississippi State (2012)

Round 5, Compensatory Pick - Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas Jayhawks

Round 6, Pick #190 - Joe Vellano, DT, Maryland

Tape: Joe Vellano highlight tape (2011)

Round 6, Compensatory Pick - Leon Sandcastle

NFL Comparsion: Deion Sanders
Tape: Tyrann Mathieu- Actual Pick (2011 Highlights)

Round 6, Compensatory Pick
- Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vanderbilt

Tape: Jordan Rodgers vs Florida 2011

Round 7, Pick #222 - Gilbert Pena, DT, Mississippi

2013 Depth Chart

Offense
QB: Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Rodgers
RB: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Bobby Rainey, Anthony Allen
FB: Vonta Leach
TE: Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, Michael Williams
WR: Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson
WR: Anquan Boldin, Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter
LT: Bryant McKinnie, Tanner Hawkinson
LG: Kelechi Osemele, Jah Reid
C: Gino Gradkowski, Khaled Holmes
RG: Marshal Yanda, Jah Reid
RT: Michael Oher, Ramon Harewood, Tanner Hawkinson

Defense
DT: Haloti Ngata, DeAngelo Tyson, Joe Vellano
NT: Terrence Cody, Joe Vellano, Gilbert Pena
DE: Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee
ROLB: Terrell Suggs, Michael Buchanan, Adrian Hamilton
WILB: Arthur Brown, Jameel McClain, Brendon Ayanbadejo
MILB: Kevin Minter, Josh Bynes
LOLB: Courtney Upshaw, Albert McClellan
LCB: Lardarius Webb, Corey Graham, Tyrann Mathieu
FS: Ed Reed, Eric Reid
SS: Bernard Pollard, Christian Thompson
RCB: Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson

KR: Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson
PR: Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

Lets see who paid attention and who didn't Cool

Love the Mathieu pick, there's a reason why I have included him in every one of my Ravens mocks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: