Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Sports Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
VF79 with the FSN girl avy... FTW.

Do you go to many Braves games? Sounds like it's been a pretty great year for them with the Upton's.

No. I went to one last year against the Yankees because the tickets were free. It's not as nice as Target Field. I'm only going because the Twins are in town.

hey VF79.

A guy I work with, sorta, is down in the ATL for training all week.

Do you have any good like hidden gem restaurants or entertainment type suggestions?

Depends.

There are so many restaurants here it really depends on what he's in the mood for. What kind of food does he like?

My favorites are

Goin Coastal - Great seafood
Ryans on The River - Nice quiet upscale restaurant
Big Pie in the Sky -Great Pizza and it was featured on Man vs Food
The Flying Biscuit in Midtown - Great Breakfast place
Sweet Auburn BBQ -Best BBQ in Town imo
The Australian Bakery - Great Australian Food
Scallini's - My wife's favorite Italian Restaurant
Antico Pizza - Woodfire Grill Pizza

Things to Do?

Gwinnet Braves - Braves Triple A affiliate
Atlanta Braves - Tickets are pretty cheap
Piedmont Park - Atlanta's version of Central Park
Atlanta Zoo
Georgia Aquarium
Marietta Square - Lots of history and shopping
Atlantic Station - Lots of Athletes hang out down there
Kennesaw Mountain - If he likes to hike. Also a civil war battleground
Stone Mountain - Huge rock with some nice hiking and great view once you get to the top.
Helen - Bavarian town about an hour north of Atlanta
Coca Cola Factory
Olympic Centennial Park

I don't know much about the clubs. I got that out of my system by the time I was 22.

Hes 43 so I doubt he does any of that Laughing

He really like to make his own pizza and wings so the BBQ and pizza places are great. Also has a salt water tank so I'm sure he will go to the aquarium.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

Hes 43 so I doubt he does any of that Laughing

He really like to make his own pizza and wings so the BBQ and pizza places are great. Also has a salt water tank so I'm sure he will go to the aquarium.

Thanks for the suggestions!

No problem. I'm kind of impressed with myself on how much I've gotten out and enjoyed this city in the year and half I've been here. I have friends that have lived here for 5-10 years and haven't seen half of that stuff.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you guys rank the Major Sports owners in Minnesota?

1.Wilf

2.Leipold

3.Taylor

4.Pohlad
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilf and Leipold are about the same to me. Really want to win, willing to spend money on the product. Both have struggled hiring coaches in their first try, let's see how this goes the next couple of years. But they are the kind of owner you want.

I don't have a lot of positive thoughts about either of the other two. But at least they have not sold the team to out of state people.
KeystoneViking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the draft coming up in a little over two weeks I decided to whip up a little mock off-season for the Wolves. Let me know what you think.

-Re-sign Nikola Pekovic to a 5-year deal
-Re-sign Chase Budinger to a 1-year deal
-Pick up Dante Cunningham’s, Gelabale’s, and Chris Johnson’s option
-Sign Kyle Korver to a 2-year deal
-Trade Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour, and the 26th pick to the Bobcats in exchange for the 4th pick and Tyrus Thomas
-Select Victor Oladipo with the 4th pick
-Select Cody Zeller with the 9th pick

PG: 9 Rubio | 1 Shved | 11 Barea
SG: 4 Oladipo | 26 Korver
SF: 10 Budinger | 47 Kirilenko | 15 Gelabale
PF: 42 Love | 12 Thomas | 33 Cunningham
C: 14 Pekovic | 40 Zeller | 20 Johnson

ROTATION
Rubio
Oladipo
Budinger
Love
Pekovic

Kirilenko
Zeller
Korver
Shved
Barea
Thomas
Cunningham

Johnson
Gelabale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Wilf and Leipold are about the same to me. Really want to win, willing to spend money on the product. Both have struggled hiring coaches in their first try, let's see how this goes the next couple of years. But they are the kind of owner you want.

I don't have a lot of positive thoughts about either of the other two. But at least they have not sold the team to out of state people.

Spending a lot of money doesn't make a difference if the team doesn't win. Taylor has spent a lot of money on the Timberwolves, what return has he gotten?

Wilf is clearly the leader on the board...he's willing to spend, but he's also a hard negotiator when he needs to be (such as with the whole stadium situation).

Leipold is far too new still to judge accurately, and he only first spent real big money this past season (as I understand, since I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable about the hockey landscape as I was 20 years ago when the North Stars left). He was the original owner of the Predators, and he lost big money there and got no return on that investment (making the playoffs a few times, but never getting very far).

As far as I'm concerned, it's Wilf and then everyone else. I give Pohlad more of a benefit of the doubt than most Minnesotans, just because of the economic situation of baseball. I still think it's messed up, and until there is a more equitable system which can make it possible for top free agents to go to smaller markets (which will probably never happen), I wouldn't do it much different than they have. MLB needs a system to make it possible for their own version of Reggie White to go to a Minnesota, Kansas City, Cleveland, or Milwaukee without having to extraordinarily overpay.

As far as Taylor, he is probably the worst owner just because he has so poorly mismanaged the franchise. While the Timberwolves have had bad luck as far as the draft lottery, Taylor and his predecessors as owners (Harv and Marv) have done nothing but make mistake after mistake in making decisions about everything else surrounding the franchise from firing Bill Musselman to the Joe Smith fiasco to mismanaging the Stephon Marbury and Tom Gugliotta situations to allowing Kevin McHale to continue making poor drafting decisions to firing Flip to hiring Kahn. The best decision Taylor could ever make as an owner is continue to own the team but step away from any decision-making whatsoever, let Flip do it.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Twins payroll will be below the last year in the dome starting next year, for years to come. Pohlad and Ryan have no interest in spending the money needed to win.

Money doesn't guarantee wins, but cutting payroll year after year is a pretty good way to guarantee you don't win. I can't see how anyone defends the Pohlad's spending, given we just gave them a new stadium.

Taylor is the worst, frankly. It is hard to think of any good decisions he's made (firing Kahn is a good one, but who hired him, and kept him around?).
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how did the T-Wolves do last night in the draft for the peach basket players?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
so how did the T-Wolves do last night in the draft for the peach basket players?

Not really a strong draft, but they turned their #9 pick into picks #14 and #21.

They traded the #9 pick (Trey Burke/G/Michigan) for #14 (Shabazz Muhammad/G/UCLA) and #21 (Gogui Dieng/C/Louisville). We drafted two players in the second round, including a guy from Montenegro who will probably be stashed overseas for a while. We also had the #26 pick which we, reportedly, traded to Golden State, along with Malcolm Lee, for cash considerations.

It was a bit odd to see them not go for a true outside shooting guard, but this draft wasn't great. Dieng is a shot blocking monster from the national champions and will be a good rotation player. Muhammad is a guy that loves to score, and pairing him with Rubio makes a lot of sense.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Not really a strong draft, but they turned their #9 pick into picks #14 and #21.

They traded the #9 pick (Trey Burke/G/Michigan) for #14 (Shabazz Muhammad/G/UCLA) and #21 (Gogui Dieng/C/Louisville). We drafted two players in the second round, including a guy from Montenegro who will probably be stashed overseas for a while. We also had the #26 pick which we, reportedly, traded to Golden State, along with Malcolm Lee, for cash considerations.

It was a bit odd to see them not go for a true outside shooting guard, but this draft wasn't great. Dieng is a shot blocking monster from the national champions and will be a good rotation player. Muhammad is a guy that loves to score, and pairing him with Rubio makes a lot of sense.

I'm not an NBA guy, but it seems to me they would have been better off trying to deal up 1-2 spots, and getting one of the two great SGs.....now they have two mediocre players, instead of 1 impact player, imo.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta have a partner to do that with. It was rumored they loved the guy who went one pick in front of them though.

If Shabazz can get his head out of his ... and work on his outside shot, he can be a James Harden type player and, possibly, one of the better players in this draft.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I'm not an NBA guy, but it seems to me they would have been better off trying to deal up 1-2 spots, and getting one of the two great SGs.....now they have two mediocre players, instead of 1 impact player, imo.

They were trying hard, the two guys that they wanted went picks before, but the other teams needed them as well. I like what they did with how the draft well, that said, first 8 picks went least ideal way possible for the Wolves. They are going to be active in the SG market and should be able to get someone solid via free agency to fill that void.

OJ Mayo is a likely option to bring in at SG, Kevin Martin probably would cost too much, same with JR Smith.

disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
OJ Mayo is a likely option to bring in at SG,

Oh the irony.

Somehow, I knew the Wolves would end up with Muhammad. After all the tweets I read about how he was worthless and the Timberwolves want nothing to do with him, I thought to myself "That's who it's gonna be".

I don't know enough about the kid to have a feeling one way or the other, but I think the instantaneous tweets about "welcoming the next JR Rider to town" was a little too much. JR Rider was a one of a kind. Laughing

All I can say about Muhammad is that's it's going to be quite a transition going from growing up in Vegas and spending a year in LA to going to Minnesota.

But, he's got one connection to us...his uncle is former Chiefs' and Vikings' WR Stephone Paige.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
OJ Mayo is a likely option to bring in at SG,

Oh the irony.

Somehow, I knew the Wolves would end up with Muhammad. After all the tweets I read about how he was worthless and the Timberwolves want nothing to do with him, I thought to myself "That's who it's gonna be".

I don't know enough about the kid to have a feeling one way or the other, but I think the instantaneous tweets about "welcoming the next JR Rider to town" was a little too much. JR Rider was a one of a kind. Laughing

All I can say about Muhammad is that's it's going to be quite a transition going from growing up in Vegas and spending a year in LA to going to Minnesota.

But, he's got one connection to us...his uncle is former Chiefs' and Vikings' WR Stephone Paige.

Yeah, I think the Wolves liked him better than they let on, that said, he was probably the 4-5 option as a scorer that they wanted to draft, and only if they traded down.

disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:

I should disclose the fact that I still have my Tecmo Super Bowl for my NES, in which Paige is the WR for the Chiefs. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 17 of 31

Jump to: