Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Sports Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Twins have exceeded my expectations thus far this year by hovering around .500

On a Twins related note, Joe Mauer is now the active leader in careers batting average.

Mauer gets a lot of grief in this town, but he's one of the best baseball players ever. If he can keep this up 4-5 more years, he's a HoF for sure.

As for the team, much better than I expected, but I have a really bad feeling about the starting pitching right now....

He isn't going to stay at catcher long. I see a permanent move to 1B in a 2-3 years.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Francisco 49ers, who signed MarQueis Gray as a free agent, had the former Gophers QB/wideout working in minicamp the other day as a motion tight end. Gray has remained in San Francisco to work out with 49ers veterans.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_23275157/charley-walters-vikings-christian-ponder-faces-pivotal-2013

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

On a Twins related note, Joe Mauer is now the active leader in careers batting average.

Mauer gets a lot of grief in this town, but he's one of the best baseball players ever. If he can keep this up 4-5 more years, he's a HoF for sure.

As for the team, much better than I expected, but I have a really bad feeling about the starting pitching right now....

He isn't going to stay at catcher long. I see a permanent move to 1B in a 2-3 years.

While I agree with you on this point, I think he will be the most overpaid First Baseman in all of baseball.

When Mauer hits .350 as a Catcher, he's one of the greatest Catchers in the game. However, when he hits .350 with 8 Home Runs and 85 RBI as a First Baseman, he's a drain on a team unless you can find someone else to pick up the run production. Mauer gets paid too much to be a singles hitter at first.
KeystoneViking

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

While I agree with you on this point, I think he will be the most overpaid First Baseman in all of baseball.

When Mauer hits .350 as a Catcher, he's one of the greatest Catchers in the game. However, when he hits .350 with 8 Home Runs and 85 RBI as a First Baseman, he's a drain on a team unless you can find someone else to pick up the run production. Mauer gets paid too much to be a singles hitter at first.

He is second in the league in doubles...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to make the RBI argument, I'm not likely to listen.......If Mauer had Mauer hitting in front of him, he'd probably be in the top 5 in RBI every year. RBI are about opportunity, not HRs.
KeystoneViking

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^So true...It baffles me how so many Minnesota fans don't appreciate their superstars.

Everybody loves Peterson; but Love is a stud and everyone wants to trade him because he spoke out about Kahn and gets hurt to much (this is he only year he struggled with injuries but so many seem to have the "what have you done for me lately mentality).

And now people want to trade Mauer because he doesn't hit home runs in the worst hitters park in the MLB...it's ridiculous

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the OP to reflect the Twins 18-22 record (currently on a 5 game losing skid).

We begin our first inter-league series in Atlanta tonight against the bash brothers known as, Upton.
twslhs20

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

He's no Yadier Molina Wink

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I've updated the OP to reflect the Twins 18-22 record (currently on a 5 game losing skid).

We begin our first inter-league series in Atlanta tonight against the bash brothers known as, Upton.

I'll be at the game on Wednesday. Hope they at least win that one.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VF79 with the FSN girl avy... FTW.

Do you go to many Braves games? Sounds like it's been a pretty great year for them with the Upton's.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeystoneViking wrote:
^^^So true...It baffles me how so many Minnesota fans don't appreciate their superstars.

Everybody loves Peterson; but Love is a stud and everyone wants to trade him because he spoke out about Kahn and gets hurt to much (this is he only year he struggled with injuries but so many seem to have the "what have you done for me lately mentality).

And now people want to trade Mauer because he doesn't hit home runs in the worst hitters park in the MLB...it's ridiculous

It is not the worst hitters park in MLB at all. But your points are accurate.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeystoneViking wrote:

I think a lot of it has to do with the legendary Minnesota players they have to live up to.

I certainly don't think they should trade Mauer, but Mauer is no Kirby. He has a better character (although we certainly didn't know it at the time about Kirby), but Mauer doesn't have the same attractive personality.

The same goes with Love. Garnett had a significant hold on the Timberwolves due to his personality. Love doesn't have that, and probably won't, because his personality is one of the spoiled Southern California child. He certainly works hard, but he ruins that perception every time he opens his mouth.

Minnesotans are drawn to the guys who look like they are working hard...guys like Kirby, KG, and Adrian. They'll never feel the real love (pardon the pun) for guys like the current Kevin.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Do you go to many Braves games? Sounds like it's been a pretty great year for them with the Upton's.

No. I went to one last year against the Yankees because the tickets were free. It's not as nice as Target Field. I'm only going because the Twins are in town.
twslhs20

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

No. I went to one last year against the Yankees because the tickets were free. It's not as nice as Target Field. I'm only going because the Twins are in town.

hey VF79.

A guy I work with, sorta, is down in the ATL for training all week.

Do you have any good like hidden gem restaurants or entertainment type suggestions?

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

hey VF79.

A guy I work with, sorta, is down in the ATL for training all week.

Do you have any good like hidden gem restaurants or entertainment type suggestions?

Depends.

There are so many restaurants here it really depends on what he's in the mood for. What kind of food does he like?

My favorites are

Goin Coastal - Great seafood
Ryans on The River - Nice quiet upscale restaurant
Big Pie in the Sky -Great Pizza and it was featured on Man vs Food
The Flying Biscuit in Midtown - Great Breakfast place
Sweet Auburn BBQ -Best BBQ in Town imo
The Australian Bakery - Great Australian Food
Scallini's - My wife's favorite Italian Restaurant
Antico Pizza - Woodfire Grill Pizza

Things to Do?

Gwinnet Braves - Braves Triple A affiliate
Atlanta Braves - Tickets are pretty cheap
Piedmont Park - Atlanta's version of Central Park
Atlanta Zoo
Georgia Aquarium
Marietta Square - Lots of history and shopping
Atlantic Station - Lots of Athletes hang out down there
Kennesaw Mountain - If he likes to hike. Also a civil war battleground
Stone Mountain - Huge rock with some nice hiking and great view once you get to the top.
Helen - Bavarian town about an hour north of Atlanta
Coca Cola Factory
Olympic Centennial Park

I don't know much about the clubs. I got that out of my system by the time I was 22.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 16 of 54

Jump to: