Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My 2013 Mock Off-season 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: My 2013 Mock Off-season 2.0 Reply with quote

Free Agency
Additions:
Danny Amendola

Resigns:
Dashon Goldson S
Tramaine Brock CB

Cuts/Let Go:
Isaac Sopoaga
Ricky Jean Francois
Delanie Walker
Ted Ginn Jr
Larry Grant
Leonard Davis
Donte Whitner

#31 Johnathan Cyprien S FIU

Cyprien made a name for himself senior bowl week with his athleticism in coverage and his willingness to stick his nose in their for run support.

Comparison- Roman Harper

#63 Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern

Brandon Williams moves incredibly well for a man of 340 lbs. All week during senior bowl he was pushing guards backwards and into the QBs' laps.

Comparison- BJ Raji

#75 Cornelius "Tank" Carradine DE Florida st

A torn ACL is the only thing keeping Carradine out of the first round. The raw and athletic D-lineman has the same length and explosive power that makes Aldon such a great pass rusher.

Comparison- Aldon Smith

#95 Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma st

Randle has everything you look for in a feature back: speed, power, vision, and good hands out of the backfield. On the negative side, he's a little tall and needs to learn to run behind his pads better.

Comparison- Darren McFadden

#127 Chris Harper WR/TE Kansas st

Harper's a big bodied wide receiver in the mold of our own Delanie Walker. He might struggle with separation at the next level, but not if we match him up with LBers and Safeties as a smaller, quicker TE.

Comparison- Niles Paul

4th Round Comp pick Sanders Commings CB Georgia

Commings played both ways for the bulldogs, never quite settling in at one position. He's got the athleticism to be an elite cover corner though.

Comparison- Chris Gamble

#152 Chris Jones DT/DE Bowling Green

A passrushing menace in the MAC, Chris Jones drops because of worries about his size. This kid's got a nonstop motor and if he can beef up a little more, might just be our replacement for Justin.

Comparison- John Randle

#159 Marquess Wilson WR Washington st

Wilson was widely regarded as a possible future first round pick after his impressive sophmore campaign. Unfortunately for him he quit the team his junior year citing abuse by the coaching staff. He could be a sleeper pick if he shows the talent from his first two years.

Comparison- Sidney Rice

#172 Nick Kasa TE Colorado

Another two way player, Kasa made the switch from DE to TE, and has the body to be an excellent blocking TE at the next level.

Comparison- Taylor Thompson

#191 Manase Foketi OL West Texas A&M

Foketi's a big time talent from a small school. The 330 lber moved well enough to play LT for his former school Kansas st, but might be better served moving inside to guard at the next level.

Comparison- Marcus Cannon

#213 Zach Brown K Portland st

Brown went 24-27 for FGs last year and broke school records every year he kicked at Portland st. His coach was so confident in Brown's ability he let him attempt a 65 harder which went straight enough, but landed just a few yards short.

Comparison- Greg Zuerlein

Feedback welcome.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is much to like here. Your 1st rd pick doesn't please me.. but I do like many other additions.

+ adding Amendola
+ adding Brandon Williams
+ most draft picks work for me okay... LOVE the Chris Jones concept, and have him as a 4th rounder right now myself.

- losing both Sopo + RJF
- Cyprien in the first?
- at least trade Whitner
- 11 rookies added seems a bit much... but it's fine.. add competition to the current backups.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get Amendola, guy is almost impossible to guard 1 on 1 from the slot. But IMO he would have to come cheap. Injuries too much of a concern for an expensive contract.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would much rather have Xavier Rhodes or Matt Elam in the first and tyrann mathieu in the 4th then another RB

props to WalterRedskins on the great sig
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the draft but not a fan of the offseason moves.
cutting whitner? letting rjf and sop go?

i like the draft though. not sure about kasa or wilson sliding that far, but id be happy!

new sig... sorry alex
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is all too realistic...

Dislike
Amendola is not going anywhere.

Whitner was bad in the last few weeks but we shouldnt cut him outright without any competition in camp. especially since he's a FA next year.

We need Soap or RJF back.

Delanies replacement is who?

Where would Randle fit?

Marquess Wilson is a bit of a punk, undersized, and not worth a draft pick. Mardy Gilyard with a bad attitude.

Jonathan Cyprien is rising fast and I like what I'm hearing. bit of a reach though and might not be starter potential from day one.

Brandon Williams is the same thing I said for Cyprien but fatter.

Zach Brown is a great singer and his lyrics are pretty comical at times. Some think he could shed a few pounds for his overall image but I kinda like the chubby fuzzy look. Like a Teddy Bear with a beanie.

Love

Tank is a pick I had in my mock also, I think he is a future starter in this league and if we drafted him he could be in the perfect situation sitting behind one of the best there is.

Chris Harper i also had and think he could be a player Roman/Harbaugh use like a Delanie Walker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this mock. I don't think we'll be able to pull Amendola away from the rams, and I've mentioned in a couple of other threads that one guy I'm really hoping we'll take a look at is Brian Hartline, who will come much cheaper than Amendola and I believe will offer a similar skill set (he also has very good hands, something this team desperately needs).

As for the cuts/walks. I'm shocked that everyone has Delanie out the door. I think the coaching staff loves him and I think there is no way he's going anywhere unless he prices himself out of san francisco. It seems like everyone has him penciled in as going out the door though. Davis is a good choice to go as we can pick up interior lineman much cheaper with more potential with late round choices. You didn't mention Gooden, but I'm going to assume we are resigning him do to potential LB depth concern and his special team play. I agree that Sop, Grant and Ginn are gone (I'm assuming Moss too), but I'd be a little surprised if we let Francois go as well.

I *love* that you cut Whitner. I'm not his biggest fan at all, he provides excellent run support, and hits like a truck, but his coverage skills are total fail. I'd much rather have a younger guy who can cover back there, even if he can't help in the run game as much.

As for the Draft:

Cyprien - A lot of people will think this is a reach, but I'm actually right there with you're thinking. By the time all is said and done, i think he will leapfrog all other safeties outside of Vaccarro and be a late first, early second round pick. I like this pick as I really want someone to take over for whitner, and Cyprien has a lot of ability. It does make me somewhat said though that in my first mock draft of the offseason, i had us getting him in round 4 and now he may be a late first, early second round selection lol.

Williams - A mountain of a man, but I don't think he's ready to come in and start. He showed a little bit more of an ability to get to the quarterback then we would be used to out of that position, but I'm concerned about his quality of opponent offensive linemen in college. I like his motor for a guy that size, though and he'll have the potential to an above average starter I think. What I like most however, is that if he develops his skills in getting to the QB at the nfl level, he won't be relegated to just 35% of defensive snaps like some (this is why i prefer him over Jesse Williams).

Tank Carradine- *love this pick*. can't stress that enough. He could be a dynamic pass rusher at he NFL level, though he does need to work on his ability to hold up against the run. I love taking a chance on talent against injury concerns in the middle rounds.

Randle- meh. Not a fan of this one. There are two running backs in this draft that I like, Taylor and Lattimore. Lattimore has the skill to be worth the risk, and we have the depth to allow him to sit out the year if need be. I think Taylor represents the best value in draft position/ability, but he'll be long gone by now. I'd rather just wait and try to pick up Lattimore.

Harper- since i feel like we'll resign Walker, and I like what we have in Celek, I'm not a huge fan of this pick. I don't think Harper can get open in the nfl at wr.

Commings - I wouldn't be disappointed with Commings if we took him, as i do think he has some potential, but there are a couple of other cornerbacks I like a little bit more who may be available here. I like Terry Hawthorne a lot if he's available, and I may like Sweeting a little more as well.

As for the rest, i think wilson is definitely worth the gamble there, but i don't like the kasa pick much. I don't know much about jones and brown, though brown sounds intriguing as an alternative to the top kickers.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. My honest guess is we would be a worse team after these moves. Letting both Soap and RJF go and counting on a rookie is a move too risky for my taste. Same with letting Whittner go. Even if his play was somewhat disappointing he was a pro bowler and letting that kind of talent go for an unknown quantity strikes me the same way. Lastly, Amedola seems like exactly the same kind of receiver as KDub, Manningham and Jenkins. If you went for a big guy or a speed burner that would add some variety to the offense by Danny just doesn't seem to add much for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
There is much to like here. Your 1st rd pick doesn't please me.. but I do like many other additions.

+ adding Amendola
+ adding Brandon Williams
+ most draft picks work for me okay... LOVE the Chris Jones concept, and have him as a 4th rounder right now myself.

- losing both Sopo + RJF
- Cyprien in the first?
- at least trade Whitner
- 11 rookies added seems a bit much... but it's fine.. add competition to the current backups.

I'll admit I went a little overboard with that cut list. Originally I had a few trades where we traded Alex, Rogers, and Whitner for draft picks and one of the Jets CB's (I made a lot of the cuts for cap space), but in the end it just didn't feel realistic enough so I got rid of them.

@ iwentundrafted- Amendola is a guy I like in FA because if we sign him we get better and the Rams get worse.

@ AT49ers- I see Elam as a carbon copy of Donte Whitner as a prospect. I like Mathieu too, but it seems just about everybody has Tyrann and Lattimore in their mocks so I tried to do this a little differently.

@ 49ers Finest- See my respinse to oldman. I went a little cut crazy hoping we'd be able to pull off a trade and I needed the cap space. If I were to go back and do it again I'd probably keep RJF and maybe Delanie.

@ 48 1/2ers- You're the first one to really talk about Randle so I'm gonna handle that here. Randle's a great athlete for the RB position. I know everybody wants us to draft Lattimore and let him sit for a year behind Gore, but at this point in their career's Randle probably has more upside. If he sits on the bench for a year and learns to run behind his pads and with power he could end up the best back from this class.

@ Forge- I think Hartline stays with the fins. Their owner said that the Dolphins #1 priority this offseason was getting a #1 target for their new QB. Hartline's the first WR to break 1,000 yards as a dolphin since... I don't even know, but I doubt they let him go. And my idea for Chris Harper is for him to pack on a little more weight and play the TE position, much like Delanie Walker did.

@big9erfan- Sometimes you gotta take a step backwards before you can move forward. Our defense got old overnight in the playoffs and I'm just trying to infuse some youth into the defense. As for Amendola, he seems to be the type of WR that we usually target. We're not really signing him to add variety to the offense, we're doing it for depth (Ginn's gone he can also handle return duties). You say all we have is quick, shifty WRs, but maybe that's on purpose. Maybe those are the types of guys Harbs likes in his offense. I mean look at our first round pick from last year. Another guy I was thinking about having us sign was Ramses Barden, but i'm not sure how well he'd fit.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:

@big9erfan- Sometimes you gotta take a step backwards before you can move forward. Our defense got old overnight in the playoffs and I'm just trying to infuse some youth into the defense. As for Amendola, he seems to be the type of WR that we usually target. We're not really signing him to add variety to the offense, we're doing it for depth (Ginn's gone he can also handle return duties). You say all we have is quick, shifty WRs, but maybe that's on purpose. Maybe those are the types of guys Harbs likes in his offense. I mean look at our first round pick from last year. Another guy I was thinking about having us sign was Ramses Barden, but i'm not sure how well he'd fit.

I agree with your desire to add a young NT and safety, just not with the "take a step back" part. When you're as close to the SB as we were you gotta take a step forward, not backward. I'd be OK with those picks as long as we keep RJF and Whitner around for another year to make sure the young guys are as good as you think when you use high picks on them, and to give the rooks a season to get a little experience. You already said you might have gone a bit overboard with the cuts. So maybe we're close to being on the same page with this draft.

Still not big on the Amendola signing, but I really like your reasoning that we get a good receiver AND take one away from a divisional opponent. Anyone have any idea what it would take to get Bowe?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:

I agree with your desire to add a young NT and safety, just not with the "take a step back" part. When you're as close to the SB as we were you gotta take a step forward, not backward. I'd be OK with those picks as long as we keep RJF and Whitner around for another year to make sure the young guys are as good as you think when you use high picks on them, and to give the rooks a season to get a little experience. You already said you might have gone a bit overboard with the cuts. So maybe we're close to being on the same page with this draft.

Still not big on the Amendola signing, but I really like your reasoning that we get a good receiver AND take one away from a divisional opponent. Anyone have any idea what it would take to get Bowe?

Probably about $10mil a year. As I was working this up I traded for Antonio Cromartie and had us signing Bowe, which is why I cut so many people in the first place. But it honestly just seemed like wishful thinking and too unrealistic.

49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that the only guys we will likely keep are Goldson and a STer like Brock. I think everyone else walks for bigger roles/more money but i'm not sure we cut Whitner either. He only makes about $3M a year anyways. I would rather ease in a rookie SS behind Whitner, then have him take over as a starter in a year when Whitner's deal expires. I'm a big Amendola fan too provided he comes at a discount.

As for the draft, i don't know a whole lot about the players. But we get a Whitner replacement, Walker replacement (Walker was a WR in college too), WR, RB, and CB depth, NT, K, and a pass rusher. Positionally it hits our needs and i like it.

Only thing i'm unsure of is the DE. Seems like pick 152 is a little too late to be looking for an effective Justin replacement. I honestly feel like thats our biggest need this draft. Maybe look for on in the 2nd round or so and swap it with the NT, i dunno.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
i'm not sure we cut Whitner either. He only makes about $3M a year anyways.

Whitner will be costing 4.83 mil against our cap... 3.75 mil of that as base salary. ( just FYI )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Whitner will be costing 4.83 mil against our cap... 3.75 mil of that as base salary. ( just FYI )

I didn't know that either. That, plus what it will take for Golson is a lot of money to tie up in the S position. I hope we can manage it for a year and bring in somebody good to groom this year and then take over for one of them next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

I didn't know that either. That, plus what it will take for Golson is a lot of money to tie up in the S position. I hope we can manage it for a year and bring in somebody good to groom this year and then take over for one of them next year.

It seems to be growing into a trend for me, I admit... but do you have zero faith in Spillman or Trent Robinson? Not on the attack here whatsoever.... and I know you stated a day or so ago that we just haven't seen enough of the backups to really say. Me? I tend to be a bit glass-half-full with many backups after being "in the system" for a year or more.

So I guess what I'm asking is... do you think Robinson +/or Spillman can fill a starting S role as adequately as... say, a 2nd or 3rd rd rookie S?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: