Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

VikeManDan's Pre-Combine Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1366
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: VikeManDan's Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

A quick mock before the combine gets under way next week. I feel it is fairly realistic, and feel it would provide help to both sides of the ball. I will not get into FA, or re-signings. Below is my one-point that doesnít involve the draft. Feel free to comment positive/negative doesnít matter. This is my second one, ever, but I do enjoy reading them and making them.
***Harvin is kept
Round 1(23): Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
I like Rhodes, I know some of you will not like the selection here. Gives another corner opposite Cook could make for a solid duo for the future.
Round 2 (52): DaíRick Rodgers WR Tennessee
A high-risk, high-reward pick. Really all that needs to be said. Rodgers is a gamer.
Round 3 (83): Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
Another gamer is Rambo, I like him and think he could pair and play well with Smith. Our back 4 is set for a long time.
Round 4:
(99) Gerald Hodges LB Penn State
Hodges comes from Linebacker U, and led them in tackles the past two seasons. Donít know a ton about him, without digging, but have seen him in some mocks before.
(117) Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas
Our guard help comes later than I had hoped. I have heard he has the ability to pull and isnít too bad at it. Provides competition at the guard spot.
Round 5 (148): Kwame Geathers DT Georgia
Geathers comes from a solid NFL pedigree. Iím hoping with some tutelage from K .Williams will help him to become a professional. He is a very large man.
Round 6 (???): Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
Allows us to get rid of Sherels, who offers nothing on defense, and pick up someone who can be groomed as a slot/dime corner and Winfieldís replacement. I know I took Rhodes in the first but I am curious to see what this kid can do in the league.
Round 7:
(197) Michael Williams TE Alabama
A big guy, who would be allowed to learn and could step in once Carlson leaves. I really do like Ellison, so it would be interesting to see what happens.
(213) Corneilius Washington DE Georgia
Washington is simply a developmental pick wouldnít be surprised if he didnít make the team. Just reaching for a 7th rounder here. Unlikely as he had a DUI arrest in 2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6001
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes' stock is on the down side right now, but a good combine could change that. I like him, but im just not sure id take him over a top DT or WR.

I do like Rogers as well, but with his off field problems i have a hard time seeing the Vikings take him here. If he's there in the 3rd, then id say we consider it a little stronger.

I personally like the picks in rounds 3-7. But i just think DT is a higher priority, so ideally we'd take one before round 5.


BTW i just made a mock, go give me some insight. Wink
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1366
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes, IMO, will be the 2nd CB drafted. I thought about our needs at DT in the first but didn't want to pull the trigger. Rodgers could fall to the 3rd, maybe we trade down in the 2nd and grab him later, but I don't project/do trades. Waiting that long to take a DT is a concern but it is just what I went with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6001
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Rhodes, like i said. I think he and Cook would be great together.

But when you look at it, we have invested early draft picks on CBs 3 of the last 4 drafts. (Cook, Robinson, Asher) And we have yet to bring youth to our interior Dline, other than a few late rounders.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
I do like Rhodes, like i said. I think he and Cook would be great together.

But when you look at it, we have invested early draft picks on CBs 3 of the last 4 drafts. (Cook, Robinson, Asher) And we have yet to bring youth to our interior Dline, other than a few late rounders.


And youth at LB is lacking. It hasnt been since 2006 that the team added quality youth to the LBs. I guess I cant get on board with taking another CB so early. It makes little sense when looking at the holes on the team and the current make up of the CB group.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1366
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting to take a DT that late was a concern of mine. I am a believer that to disrupt a good passer you need a good pass RUSH. Otherwise he will pick you apart. I will have to re-consider after the combine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Waiting to take a DT that late was a concern of mine. I am a believer that to disrupt a good passer you need a good pass RUSH. Otherwise he will pick you apart. I will have to re-consider after the combine.


Rookie DTs rarely make an impact, anyway, so I guess I dont see the use in taking one early.

Most DTs seem to take a few years to develop and considering the veterans this team already has, combined with Christian Ballard, I truly question the worthiness of taking any DT early.

Use free agency to get a run stuffer, where you will find more 4 or 5 year players more primed to contribute right away. Outside oF QB, DT seems to have the highest bust rate of any position. I'd continue to see what Ballard has behind Kevin Williams next year and I wouldnt look towards finding Williams replacement until 2014. Assuming Williams returns in 2013.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1366
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point VR, I knew there was a reason I put it off. Somehow forgot about Ballard. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VikeManDan


Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1366
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:
I do like Rhodes, like i said. I think he and Cook would be great together.

But when you look at it, we have invested early draft picks on CBs 3 of the last 4 drafts. (Cook, Robinson, Asher) And we have yet to bring youth to our interior Dline, other than a few late rounders.


And youth at LB is lacking. It hasnt been since 2006 that the team added quality youth to the LBs. I guess I cant get on board with taking another CB so early. It makes little sense when looking at the holes on the team and the current make up of the CB group.


Ideally then who would you be taking in RD1? As I stated I knew some people wouldn't like the Rhodes pick. I should say myself that I wouldn't mind Rhodes in the 1st it just depends who else is one the board at our pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6001
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:
Waiting to take a DT that late was a concern of mine. I am a believer that to disrupt a good passer you need a good pass RUSH. Otherwise he will pick you apart. I will have to re-consider after the combine.


Rookie DTs rarely make an impact, anyway, so I guess I dont see the use in taking one early.

Most DTs seem to take a few years to develop and considering the veterans this team already has, combined with Christian Ballard, I truly question the worthiness of taking any DT early.

Use free agency to get a run stuffer, where you will find more 4 or 5 year players more primed to contribute right away. Outside oF QB, DT seems to have the highest bust rate of any position. I'd continue to see what Ballard has behind Kevin Williams next year and I wouldnt look towards finding Williams replacement until 2014. Assuming Williams returns in 2013.


I couldnt disagree more.

With this deep of a DT class i think itd be perfect to take one. He will be perfectly groomed to take over for Kwill when need be. Which i think will be soon.

We havent had a class with this much quality depth at DT in a long time, why not take advantage of it? You would rather wait until KWill is gone, and all we have is Ballard/Evans/Guion? No thank you.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
I couldnt disagree more.

With this deep of a DT class i think itd be perfect to take one. He will be perfectly groomed to take over for Kwill when need be. Which i think will be soon.

We havent had a class with this much quality depth at DT in a long time, why not take advantage of it? You would rather wait until KWill is gone, and all we have is Ballard/Evans/Guion? No thank you.


I agree with taking one, but in round one or two. I wouldnt. You're own comment with it being a deep DT class suggests there may be more value later in the draft.

Williams has indicated he wants to play 2-3 years, and Ballard has shown progress. if its true that Williams will play 2-3 more years, combined with how much the Vikings play its 3rd DE at DT, any DTs added will only play 15-25 snaps per game. If they even see the field over Fred Evans or Letroy guion, who only played 15-25 snaps per game anyway. Again, whats the point in using a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a 15-25 snap per game player.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric dunn


Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 6001
Location: San Antonio, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:
I couldnt disagree more.

With this deep of a DT class i think itd be perfect to take one. He will be perfectly groomed to take over for Kwill when need be. Which i think will be soon.

We havent had a class with this much quality depth at DT in a long time, why not take advantage of it? You would rather wait until KWill is gone, and all we have is Ballard/Evans/Guion? No thank you.


I agree with taking one, but in round one or two. I wouldnt. You're own comment with it being a deep DT class suggests there may be more value later in the draft.

Williams has indicated he wants to play 2-3 years, and Ballard has shown progress. if its true that Williams will play 2-3 more years, combined with how much the Vikings play its 3rd DE at DT, any DTs added will only play 15-25 snaps per game. If they even see the field over Fred Evans or Letroy guion, who only played 15-25 snaps per game anyway. Again, whats the point in using a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a 15-25 snap per game player.


Ok, but we have already seen KWill digress every season. And he might want to play 2-3 more years, but as far as being productive i think he's done. So you bring in someone like Floyd or Shorts, and you have someone who will bring a push up the middle. Which we didnt have at ALL last year.

Yea its deep, but at the top of the draft its deep. I would say there's about 5-6 DTs that have 1st round talent.

Now im not saying that i think DT should be the only position we consider in the first, im just reiterating that i think its a bigger need than CB.

I would take guys like Hopkins, Patterson, Ogletree, Minter, Short, Floyd, and Vacarro before i take a CB.
_________________

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Williams is returning to the Vikings for 2-3 years, you have to assume he will be making $5-6M. If his play regressing is a concern, why not just release him then? I guess that is my take, if were drafting a DT early it should be to replace Williams. If Williams is still on the roster for 2-3 years at $5M, you cant really replace him since he will still be around.

Teams usually dont spend 1st or 2nd rd picks on 2-3 year starting projects. That is essentially what any DT drafted will be behind Williams. Unless you're advocating drafting a one technique player to start, but then again, that player will see roughly 30 snaps per game at most.

I simply see too many starting positions (60 snaps plus) that need to be filled. Like at WR, LB, S, and OG.

Further, any rookie DT can be assumed to be a project since they usually are. If MN is drafting a project player who wont see the field much, why not use a 3rd rd pick at most.

I like the depth of this class in the mid rounds, and the free agency pool is pretty good too. I guess I would rather sign a free agent DT with upside and not even look to drafting one. Assuming Williams, Guion, Evans and Ballard all return in 2013, the team essentially has one spot open. Seeing as we need an immediate improvement at the position, I think it would be more worthwhile to just sign a stout run defender in free agency who can give the team roughly 30 snaps per game.


And I definitely agree with you on DT being a greater need than CB for round one or round two. Just like OG, I dont think DT is a need that needs to be stressed early in the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesnewcoach11


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 1567
Location: Watertown, New York
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to go CB so early. We have bigger needs on this team. We got josh Robinson in the 3rd last year and he got a good amount of playing time and came up big at points. We could wait until the 2nd-4th.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24363
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If corner is BPA I wouldn't doubt we take one. That being said, corners aren't highly valued within our system so the grade our staff gives them may not be as high as another position.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group