Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric's Pre-Combine mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then we'll have made our weakest position even weaker. Without Harvin we have no starting caliber receivers on the roster. Maybe Wright will develop into one but that's yet to be determined.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused we had weak receivers yet Ponder had 4 out of his 6 games with an above 70 Total QBR sans Harvin

This isn't a team that needs three starting caliber receivers. Wide receivers in our offense need to play roles. Draft a guy like Hopkins or Patton to be the well rounded #1, keep Harvin or play Wright in the slot, and then bring back Jenkins or bring in someone like Hartline/Gibson to be a chain mover. Combine that with Kyle Rudolph and our passing game will be more than fine.

That's how I feel at least.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think of the mock RPM? Laughing

#ManzieltoMinnesota
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
So what do you think of the mock RPM? Laughing

Solid, very solid

Feasible as well Smile. I do find the signings of Landry and Sanford to be redundant but you've explained why you did that.

I'm also, personally, not a fan of Austin as he's limited to the slot in the NFL, but he would add the explosive playmaker back into our offense.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm confused we had weak receivers yet Ponder had 4 out of his 6 games with an above 70 Total QBR sans Harvin

This isn't a team that needs three starting caliber receivers. Wide receivers in our offense need to play roles. Draft a guy like Hopkins or Patton to be the well rounded #1, keep Harvin or play Wright in the slot, and then bring back Jenkins or bring in someone like Hartline/Gibson to be a chain mover. Combine that with Kyle Rudolph and our passing game will be more than fine.

That's how I feel at least.

Ponder only passed for more than 200 yards twice in the last 7 games. Even if he was more efficiently, he was doing it on a small volume. The most obvious way for us to improve is to upgrade the passing game and that means we need to upgrade the receivers. If Michael Jenkins is still starting next year then we haven't done enough.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about him starting?
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. So let me get this straight, we're trading one of the most dynamic players in the NFL for a smaller unproven version? No thanks. Harvin is staying in Minnesota.

2. Short in the 1st round is a bad pick. He's an early mid second round guy. I don't think drafting a player to be someone's understudy for their 1st year is the greatest idea. Plus, we need a NT not a UT. Christian Ballard has shown he has the potential to take over for Williams, after he retires. Johnathan Hankins and Jesse Williams would both be better picks. Preferably Hankins, he can play on all downs. He played multiple positions along the D-line at OSU.

3. I like Quinton Patton a lot, but if Da'Rick Rogers is available in that position, Rogers all day. He offers more upside. Rogers adds the size at the WR position that the Vikings Wr corps are lacking. He is big and very physical, a perfect compliment to Peterson's tough nose run style and Harvin's quickness.

4. . Arthur Brown will be gone by that selection. He'll be a mid 2nd round pick after the success Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner had. Jon Bostic from Florida is the next best thing.

5. Tharold Simon is a great pick. He is a lengthy CB and I honestly think could develop into a starter. Cook, Robinson, Jefferson, and Simon would be a great group of DBs headed into the future.

By keeping the 4th from the trade it would be used on an offensive line. Overall not bad.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short can play the 1-tech in a 4-3 defense and, in fact, has been quoted as saying he prefers the nose.

Then you can shift him over to the 3-tech for passing downs. With how heavy we rotate inside guys Short, even behind Williams, would play half the game.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with you though, Brown will likely be a 2nd round pick. He's a poor man's Lavonte David, but his character, football IQ, and ability to possibly play two, 4-3, LB positions will elevate him.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Who said anything about him starting?

Who is then?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any combination of 2nd tier free agent, Jarius Wright, and rookie 1st/2nd rounder works as a starting three.

I'd be fine with...

Hopkins/Patton
+
Wright

for a starting two WR set.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all pending a Harvin trade, of course.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
1. So let me get this straight, we're trading one of the most dynamic players in the NFL for a smaller unproven version? No thanks. Harvin is staying in Minnesota.

I agree with a lot of Keith's post, but especially this. If Minnesota is going to move Harvin (which is definitely not a sure thing at this point), then I want them to take a guy who projects to be at least an above average outside, downfield reciever like Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, or even Cordarrelle Patterson (whom I'm not a big fan of), not a poor man's, even less of a receiver, version of Harvin.

Quote:
2. Short in the 1st round is a bad pick. He's an early mid second round guy. I don't think drafting a player to be someone's understudy for their 1st year is the greatest idea. Plus, we need a NT not a UT. Christian Ballard has shown he has the potential to take over for Williams, after he retires. Johnathan Hankins and Jesse Williams would both be better picks. Preferably Hankins, he can play on all downs. He played multiple positions along the D-line at OSU.

With the way that Spielman's been talking about the depth at DT this year, I'd be pretty surprised if they took one in the first round, especially with a guy like Brandon Williams potentially available as late as the team's 3rd round pick.

Quote:
3. I like Quinton Patton a lot, but if Da'Rick Rogers is available in that position, Rogers all day. He offers more upside. Rogers adds the size at the WR position that the Vikings Wr corps are lacking. He is big and very physical, a perfect compliment to Peterson's tough nose run style and Harvin's quickness.

Definitely agree with this, though Rogers' off field issues might scare the team away.

Quote:
4. . Arthur Brown will be gone by that selection. He'll be a mid 2nd round pick after the success Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner had. Jon Bostic from Florida is the next best thing.

If Brown runs well, 4.55 or less, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up considered a value at our pick in the 1st. At NFL.com, they're comparing him to Navarro Bowman. Honestly, if he tests well (especially medically), I wouldn't have a problem taking him in the 1st, going WR in the 2nd (Rogers, Hunter, Patton, or Woods), and looking at NT in the 3rd.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:

5. Tharold Simon is a great pick. He is a lengthy CB and I honestly think could develop into a starter. Cook, Robinson, Jefferson, and Simon would be a great group of DBs headed into the future.

By keeping the 4th from the trade it would be used on an offensive line. Overall not bad.

1. First off, im not on board with trading Harvin. In fact, id rather keep him. But from everything im seeing, there is a good chance he gets traded. And in my trade we get good value for him. Plus Austin has the potential to be a less stronger Percy Harvin or a Desean Jackson. He can play all over the field, and like i said he is a weapon. He can take it to the house anytime. Todd McShay(even though he's an idiot) says Austin is the quickest player he's ever seen. And he has been tearing up workouts.

2. Short is not a bad pick, he can play either NT or UT. And he has the kind of burst that we need to get our pass rush looking even scarier. He is looking like a 1st rounder to me. Plus with his athletic ability, i could see him having a nice combine.

3. I like Rogers as well, but he just doesnt fit the motto of what Spielman is trying to do. He is trying to get clean players, who love football and are class a people. Now thats not to say that Da'Rick wont be considered or is a bad person, but i just think the 2nd is kind of early to take that off field risk. When you have a talent like Patton sitting there, who fits the bill. But like i said, i like Rogers and id be 100% fine with the pick if he keeps his ish straight.

4. Yea he could be gone, but if he is a mid 2nd round prospect i dont think its completly absurd to think he could drop. I mean crazier things have happened.

#ManzieltoMinnesota
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Any combination of 2nd tier free agent, Jarius Wright, and rookie 1st/2nd rounder works as a starting three.

I'd be fine with...

Hopkins/Patton
+
Wright

for a starting two WR set.

My main issue was that we needed to sign a FA if we trade Harvin which you have us doing. He doesn't have to be 1st tier but he does have to be good enough to start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: