Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wise men says ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

A QB in the 3rd if so who ?
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, Jr.
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Mike Glennon, North Carolina St.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
EJ Manuel, Florida St.
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Landry Jones, Oklahoma
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Tyler Bray, Tennessee, Jr.
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 40

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many quality QBs in this league, that is why I would consider adding more talent. Webb offers nothing and MBT is a massive project. Either Ponder plays well and that player never sees the field (or you trade him) or Ponder plays poorly and that player can step in.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have to take a QB in the 3rd, My vote is E.J. Manuel and it's not close. That being said as posted before I think Sean Renfree is a late round gem and someone I'd love to see us pick up.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

Bring Melvin Gordon to Minnesota.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an FSU fan no thanks to EJ Manuel!
Boda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely want no part of the Vikings using a 3rd on a QB, we have way too many needs to take what will most likely be a back up QB in the 3rd round. I would rather just give Christian another year to prove his worth and if he doesn't show significant improvement to just draft his replacement in the 1st or 2nd next year. Right now I see us needing (2) LB's, (2) WR's, (1) DT, (1 CB) & (1) S I view all those as needs before drafting a backup QB. We would just be better suited to sign a vet. Back Up.

Anyways to play along I did vote for Nassib out of the choices listed and if he were gone I would want Jones
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd round is too high for me.
Earliest I would go is late 4th round MIN pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i like the Duke QB, in the 6th or 7th.

i think Round 3 is just too high.
'

yeah I agree.

I'd probably look more so in round 4 or 5. You normally get a few QBs who drop. I think personally thats the best time to look for a developmental guy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
As an FSU fan no thanks to EJ Manuel!

He's seemed to have really impressed in the Senior Bowl/NFL Combine. What don't you like about him?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that just does not make sense for a team on the border of being a playoff team. Just not a good use of resources, imo.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
No, that just does not make sense for a team on the border of being a playoff team. Just not a good use of resources, imo.

I bet Seahawks' fans are glad that John Schneider is their GM instead of you. Wink

I have absolutely no problem if the Vikings choose to take a QB in the 3rd rd, if he's the best player on the board. This team needs a backup, or at the very least, a fallback option if Ponder fails this year or next. It's irrelevant to me whether the Vikings are a borderline playoff team or not.

Here are the 3rd-rd QBs taken over the last 10 years:

2012 - Russell Wilson, Nick Foles
2011 - Ryan Mallett
2010 - Colt McCoy
2009 - None
2008 - Kevin O'Connell
2007 - Trent Edwards
2006 - Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle
2005 - Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene
2004 - Matt Schaub
2003 - Chris Simms, Dave Ragone

I think evidence shows that the 3rd rd is a good place to pick up a backup (at the very least) with potential to at least be a spot starter. To just blanketly say No is being shortsighted (IMO).

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have said no to this maybe you could answer this for me. If Ponder fails this year who do we have in the cupboard for the year after? What is their game plan? I think I big part of management is having contingency for that scenario, I have been in management for 30 years and we do this all the time. You have to have someone in the wings or your putting all your eggs in the basket and we all know that those eggs can be broken with one drop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt in my mind this team will be adding backup QB this off-season. Nobody in their right mind should feel comfortable with Webb as the backup after that dreadful performance in the playoffs.

With Ponder ending the season strong, people really seem to forget just how poorly he played for a majority of the season. He hasn't shown the consistency or the durability for me to feel good about heading into the future with only him. The last time he made it through a complete season was his sophomore year at FSU. At this point, it should be expected that Ponder's backup will be seeing playing time at some point during the season.

The fact that this is a borderline playoff team should be exactly why we go out and get a solid backup. There's just too much risk in having no depth at the most important position in sports. We can't expect a 6th or 7th round QB to contribute any time soon, and I see MBT as our long-term project at the position.

I'd prefer us to take a look at some FA QBs with experience. However, if Spielman prefers to add a guy somewhere in the mid-rounds I'm all for it.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ponder fails this year, you have an early pick next year. Deal as many picks as you need next year to get an elite QB. Ponder looks better than whatever Seattle had, and they also have leas holes than the Vikings.

Not one QB available this year in the mid rounds has the pedigree that Wilson did....he only fell because of size, which was stupid.

as for the backup next year, the odds of any rookie they take helping them next year are low. Next years class is deep....
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
If ponder fails this year, you have an early pick next year. Deal as many picks as you need next year to get an elite QB. Ponder looks better than whatever Seattle had, and they also have leas holes than the Vikings.

Not one QB available this year in the mid rounds has the pedigree that Wilson did....he only fell because of size, which was stupid.

as for the backup next year, the odds of any rookie they take helping them next year are low. Next years class is deep....

It could be argued that Ponder failed this year, and we have pick 23. And like I said, I prefer us going after a FA QB with experience. If that doesn't happen, I'd be all for adding a mid round QB as long as there's value. If a rookie does have to step in next year, I'd feel much better about a 3rd rounder than a 7th.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:

Russell Wilson is only 5'10", so the fact that he dropped isn't all that stupid. There aren't many QBs that tall that are successful. He just happened to beat the odds for one season. There's no guarantee that he'll be able to keep it up.

As far as next year's class, we have no idea right now whether it's going to be deep or not. Many of us thought that there would be 2-3 QBs taken in the top 15 this year at this time last year. Now, it'll be tough to even argue whether 1 of them is even qualified.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, "next years" QB class always looks better..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: