Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CentralFC Post Super Bowl Mock 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: CentralFC Post Super Bowl Mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Offseason
The times are changing. This is true on levels rarely seen, as todayís management--league wide--is forced to adopt an almost uniform approach for fear of falling behind the mold of the prototypical franchise.

Youth. Financial flexibility. Most of all, an elite quarterback.

Ted Thompson has been steadfast in his approach since he took over the reigns after the departure of the maligned Mike Sherman. His philosophy has been one that values youth, the acquisition of draft picks, and the pursuit of value moreso than blockbuster deals that suck the last few drops out of the bucket that is the NFL cap. This year is no different. On the 15th of February, just over a month since Green Bay was shown the door from the NFL playoffs by a more physically imposing San Francisco squad, Thompson decided to cut ties with arguably his most significant free agent signing in his tenure at Green Bay. The ironic and potentially fitting end to Charles Woodsonís career comes at a time when Green Bay must make heavy-hearted choices for the betterment of the future. Clay Matthews and BJ Raji are awaiting deals that will leave them near the top of the most superbly paid at their respective positions while, in the distance, a certain quarterback awaits his reward for a remarkable stretch that has left him at the summit of todayís top signal callers.

In addition to Woodsonís departure, which alleviates the Packers of nearly 10 million dollars in cap space, Thompson decides to lock up this void left by a player whose instincts have remained elite but skill set has plundered. Sam Shields, fresh off a revitalizing 2012 campaign in which his physicality was left unquestioned and playmaking ability reinforced, earns a respectable payday that leaves both sides satisfied--a four year, 22 million dollar deal that is justifiable when considering Shieldsí raw abilities and recent ascent toward the Packersí depth chart.

Further offseason signings include:

Tom Crabtree: A modest two year deal is given to provide some stability to a fragile position that has seen its fair share of issues with the disgruntled Jermichael Finley, injured Andrew Quarless and unproven DJ Williams.

Evan Dietrich-Smith: By locking up Thompsonís new center, who filled in admirably when called upon, he avoids having to pursue what would be an otherwise glaring need. This modest three year deal is not detrimental to the cap, player friendly, and gives the management some much needed flexibility when drafting.

Erik Walden: Hated by fans. Criticized by football statisticians. Loved by the coaching staff. Every team needs a few guys like Walden who pride themselves on their response to adversity and ability to make a difference in whatever role they may have. Walden is this guy. A quiet, reliable and focused OLB who, while proven to be inefficient and unable to be the dominant force across from Matthews that we need, is a solid backup that can excel in that role.

The Greg Jennings Saga
The risk is unavoidable. At 29, and approaching 30, Jennings represents a major risk-reward. Further, the resigning, or tag and trade, of Jennings can not be substantiated from two perspectives: the first of which is Thompsonís youth-driven philosophy, and the second of which is the general financial flexibility that Green Bay prides itself on. A tag for Jennings, which would be 10.357 million, would effectively counteract the wise business move Thompson was forced to make with Woodson.

Yes, Green Bay could receive, at best, a second to third round selection for the proven wideout. But in a free agency market that includes other stellar wideouts such as Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace and Wes Welker, Jenningsí value drops significantly. Thatís the truth of the matter.

Thompson, instead of taking what some feel is a calculated risk and others feel is an unnecessary venture, decides to let Jennings test the market, similar to Jones in 2012. Let the market determine his value, Thompson says. And it does. A few days after the free agents can begin negotiations across the league, Jennings signs on with the Indianapolis Colts for a respectable three year, 28.3 million dollar deal that is successful from a financial and future stability standpoint. His logic is clear: being paired with a young, on the rise quarterback in an offense that loves throwing the ball to two young, speedy wideouts would be a perfect fit for the soon-to-be wideout who is arguably the best route runner in the league. With Indianapolisí financial flexibility, this move makes perfect sense.

The Draft
The 2013 NFL Draft rolls around at the end of April with an incredibly deep class. Not especially top-heavy, this draft provides teams toward the end of the first round with plenty of flexibility. Particular positions of strength include edge rushers, big bodied defensive lineman, and solid wide receiver prospects.

Thursday, April 25th comes and Green Bay, slotted at 26, is confident in its ability to pick up a difference maker on day one. However, rumors begin to spread around the 12th selection (Miami), that Thompson is considering moving up. This would be an interesting situation. Would Jermichael Finley be involved? Would multiple second or third round picks, in addition to Green Bayís first, be needed?

They arenít. Per usual, these rumors are unfounded. Thompson is fine at 26.

However, as 26 nears, Thompson and his staff recognize that the board has begun to fall favorably for him and his staff. Arizona, in a period of offensive rebuilding, begins to consider a deal that would see them fly up the board 12 slots, from 38 to 26. After having solidified its poor offensive line with Eric Fisher, Arizona decides to move up once more to pair the stud LT with a signal caller that is hopefully the answer to the perennial Cardinal-quarterback woes. Arizona picks up Mike Glennon, a quarterback from NC State, in the following deal:

Arizona Receives: Green Bay #26, #119, #158
Green Bay Receives: Arizona #38, #69, #100

Green Bay Second Round Selection | #38 | Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2
Weight: 245
Analysis: Thompson makes a splash here with arguably the second best ILB prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft. The authority and physicality that Minter brings to the defensive unit is unparalleled and will be a legitimate upgrade for the Packers from multiple perspectives: one of which is the unitís much maligned physicality, and the second of which is a run-stopping presence that will pair well with Desmond Bishop. Minter has the tools to play in the 3-4, the speed to get to backs on the edge and cover athletic TEs down the seam, and the physicality to shed blockers and disrupt running plays. The value for Minter at #38 is supreme in Thompsonís eyes. One big need is checked off the list.

Green Bay Second Round Selection | #55 | Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Height: 6-0
Weight: 202
Analysis: An impressive senior bowl outing leaves Patton as a second round caliber receiver. He fits the Packer receiver mold to a ĎTí, with great intangibles, polished route running, and a savvy approach that will parallel well with the Packer receiving corps. Many of the issues that are raised with Patton are correctable. His strength is subpar, he struggles with separation at times, and he isnít an athletic freak. While his speed may not improve dramatically, Patton has enough tools to bring a legitimate threat to an explosive offense in need of a replacement for Jennings. Patton looks the part.

Green Bay Third Round Selection | #69 | Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
Height: 6-3
Weight: 313
Analysis: A former Community College standout, Williams has an interesting story. An undetected recruit out of high school, Williams essentially paved his way to UNC via raw talent and a willingness to push himself past predetermined limits. Williams is nabbed by Thompson in the third round with Arizonaís selection as an interior lineman to replace Pickett in a few years. He is explosive, versatile, and his ceiling is higher than any other third round pick. He has the potential to be a solid two-gap player, which will blend well with the combination of Raji, Mike Daniel and Jerel Worthy. This big-body will be a great fit in Capersí scheme 2-4-5 while paired with Raji or another pass-rushing body. Williams has a great set of tools and will round out the Packer defensive line.

Green Bay Third Round Selection | #87 | David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
Height: 6-2
Weight: 194
Analysis: A lengthy, physical corner, Amerson fits the Packer mold and then some. This, at this moment in time, is my favorite selection. Thompson eyes Amerson for his man coverage abilities, overall physicality, and overall instinctive play that paid large dividends with the Packersí corner out of Vanderbilt a year ago. Amerson, like Hayward, does not necessarily have the straight line speed like Shields, but what he lacks in pure athleticism he makes up for in willingness, football IQ, and mindset. Amerson will be a solid rotational player in year one behind Williams, Hayward, House and Shields. In another year, the young buck could be a starter opposite of Shields with Hayward in the slot.

Green Bay Fourth Round Selection | #100 | Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
Height: 5-10
Weight: 221
Analysis: Itís been said before. And Iíll say it once more. Michael has the vision, acceleration and physicality to excel in the Packersí fit. He can shore up his pass blocking, something that requires pride and a mindset not seen in many players, but what he brings to the table as a true number one back will outweigh any potential weaknesses. Michael will be a great addition to the offense, he will complement Harris and Green very well, and will bring that extra man into the box once Green Bay unleashes him.

Green Bay Fourth Round Selection | #129 [Compensatory] | Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
Height: 6-5
Weight: 255
Analysis: The uncertainty with the TE position is a cause for concern. Finley will almost assuredly not be back in 2014. What Escobar brings is insurance to the position. What he also brings is an athletic specimen capable of bringing teams out of their two deep shell that consistently plagues the Packers. He has the athleticism to make difficult catches, has great quickness off the line, and runs solid routes down the middle of the field. His receiving ability is high-end, albeit not making him a blue-chip prospect. Further, he has the potential to develop into a solid blocking TE. Although not fundamentally sound now, Escobar has the tools to become a mainstay in the Packers aerial and ground attacks. The value, furthermore, is unquestioned.

Green Bay Sixth Round Selection | #195 | Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois
Height: 6-3
Weight: 313
Analysis: Thornton has the versatility to be a solid swing lineman for Green Bay. For some reason, I see some similarities to Newhouse, except in one regard: his mindset. Thornton is a great run blocking offensive lineman, playing decisive and nasty with NFL-caliber strength and power. Has great extension and shows grit that will be great to have on the Packer line. He doesnít project as a starter, especially with Sitton and Lang having their spots locked up for the foreseeable future, but Thornton will leapfrog our current backups in a year or two.

Green Bay Seventh Round Selection | #235 | Steve Beauharnais, ILB/OLB, Rutgers
Height: 6-1
Weight: 236
Analysis: Beauharnais is picked up in the seventh with the potential to add more weight to his rather lanky frame. He has athleticism and the general tools to project him as a potential pass rusher in Capersí scheme. Thompson likes this kid who didnít pad his stock in 2012. A potential special teams ace with his athleticism, Beauharnais will inevitably find his way onto an NFL roster. Letís hope itís Green Bayís.

General Thoughts:
On the safety position: I generally feel as if, going forward, it is impractical to pick up a mid round safety. Safeties excel over time in Capers' fit, and another safety into the rotation will be a difficult balance to maintain. Jennings and McMillan will inevitably be more prepared, so how will a third and inexperienced safety fit in to that mix? I feel as if, contrary to most, safety wasn't an issue for us. Could it be better? Of course. But our pass protection and general physicality on defense were much more worrisome.

On the backup quarterback position: Moving forward with BJ Coleman and Graham Harrell is troubling to some, but I think with the development of Coleman and another year for Harrell, we should be fine. I don't mind going forward with those two, as long as Sherrod returns, our pass protection improves (which it will with Sherrod's presence), and our run game can take some pressure off of Rodgers.

On the pass rushing problem: 2012 was more of the same. Much of our pressure came from Matthews. Yes, we registered toward the top of the league in sacks, but the pass rush was still nonexistent at times, especially against top-tier competition. I feel as if this will be remedied, to a degree, with Perry's return and another offseason under his belt. I also feel as if Bishop is our second best pass rusher on this team, and an interior presence like him will do wonders when coupled with Perry. Williams, Daniel, and Neal will be a great trio opposite of Raji and Pickett. And, hopefully at some point, and sooner than later, Worthy will be the force we hoped he could in the pass rush.

On Hawk & Minter: It seems, to some, that ILB isn't a need. I feel differently, obviously. I genuinely feel as if selecting Minter, or Greene for that matter, will upgrade our defense dramatically. Hawk is limited. We know this. He improved in 2012 by shedding some weight, but he isn't explosive, rarely gets to the quarterback, and isn't greater against more physically imposing lines. Minter, on the other hand, can blow up plays, rush the passer and get sideline to sideline to track ball carriers down. This will be huge for us. Whether he unseats Hawk this year or takes over in 2014, Minter is a wise choice moving forward for this unit.

blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the thought and prep that was put into this mock. great format.

onto the picks....

Love the first 3, amerson is a little low but could conceivably be there. Not sure I like him as much as some do though. Escobar is rising and could be that pick.

Overall, like the picks. very TT draft.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
love the thought and prep that was put into this mock. great format.

onto the picks....

Love the first 3, amerson is a little low but could conceivably be there. Not sure I like him as much as some do though. Escobar is rising and could be that pick.

Overall, like the picks. very TT draft.

Thank you!

If anything, I could potentially see us trading down from the late second into the early third and getting Amerson there instead in addition to another fourth/sixth round selections.

But that's too much complication.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the thought, very rational.

I love Gavin Escobar, think he'll be a stud. By draft day he'll be a round two guy.

Like Kevin Minter, don't love him. Same for Patton.

Move Amerson to FS and I lovovove him there.

Like Michael. Only Ball, Bernard, and Gilleslie are better fits for me.

Would be satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I love Gavin Escobar, think he'll be a stud. By draft day he'll be a round two guy.

Would be satisfied.

About 80% of this is geared toward rationality. Like TT, I aim for immediate upgrades that fill future needs. Minter addresses this, as does Escobar and Amerson.

As for Patton, he and Woods are two guys in the second round that I would love. Both for different reasons. Woods for his vertical abilities and down field talent, and Patton for the versatility and reliability.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Would be satisfied.

About 80% of this is geared toward rationality. Like TT, I aim for immediate upgrades that fill future needs. Minter addresses this, as does Escobar and Amerson.

As for Patton, he and Woods are two guys in the second round that I would love. Both for different reasons. Woods for his vertical abilities and down field talent, and Patton for the versatility and reliability.

I love Amerson as a FS. Minter should take over for Hawk. I like Woods a little more than Patton, but not a huge difference. I Łber <3 Gavin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the draft everything looks great!

As far as the picks go I like Minter but I don't love it, I do love the Patton pick though. Don't think Escobar will fall that far, I see him as a 2nd or early 3rd round pick come the draft. I would be thrilled if this were to happen.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Minter isn't sexy by any means. But, neither was Sherrod or Bulaga. It's a long term investment and provides stability at a position that we've lacked it at (from a high-level of play standpoint) for quite some time.

I don't see RB/WR/CB early in round one. Not TT's game. He likes his backers and OL/DL early on, and rightfully so.
SE500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of work put into this format and very well done.

That being said, I think you've got a couple of players dropping well beyond where they will go in reality.

As far as Jennings and the tag goes, no team should ever tag a player unless they intend to pay the man if he can't be moved. In Jennings case, there will be no problem moving him. Welker? New England tagged Welker last year and reports are they won't hesitate to do it again even with the 20% increase. Jennings woould fit extremely well with a number of teams, (Dolphins, Colts, Redskins, Seahawks etc) and for a nominal trade investment. I will be surprised if he isn't tagged. We do have room with Saturday, Driver, and Wood off the books and Finley will be addressed. Finley being either cut or restructured.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
Lots of work put into this format and very well done.

That being said, I think you've got a couple of players dropping well beyond where they will go in reality.

As far as Jennings and the tag goes, no team should ever tag a player unless they intend to pay the man if he can't be moved. In Jennings case, there will be no problem moving him. Welker? New England tagged Welker last year and reports are they won't hesitate to do it again even with the 20% increase. Jennings woould fit extremely well with a number of teams, (Dolphins, Colts, Redskins, Seahawks etc) and for a nominal trade investment. I will be surprised if he isn't tagged. We do have room with Saturday, Driver, and Wood off the books and Finley will be addressed. Finley being either cut or restructured.

Thank you.

Players drop every year. It's all about need and value. My tiers may be different than yours and that's fine, but these aren't really all that far-fetched, especially considering we have yet to see the combine.
mccammon07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this draft. Personally I am a little bit higher on Wheaton than Patton. Good looking draft, good job!
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccammon07 wrote:
I would love this draft. Personally I am a little bit higher on Wheaton than Patton. Good looking draft, good job!

I agree. As for Minter, I'd like him if Hawk were gone. For now, Hawk is the guy there unfortunately for some. If we did draft Amerson it'd be to move to FS. I don't think he's fast enough to play CB in the league. I don't see the need for an OG in the 6th though "that would be a TT move" and the Beauharnais selection is kind of a waste because he'd go on to join Lattimore, Manning, Francois, and all those other ILB/OLB tweeners we already have. I love the Michael pick but I just don't see where he's going to fit unless you cut Saine, Starks, AND Green. Just don't see all three of those guys axed even though that would be the move I'd make actually. So switching out the Michael pick for an OLB might be a better idea. Again, just my opinion. I like the way you went with this draft; especially the Sylvester Williams and Gavin Escobar picks.

The only thing I really vehemently disagree with is your opinion on the Safety position. We just cut Woodson, we have Sean Richardson who I don't even think saw the field. You've got MD Jennings who has poor tackling technique and rides the player to the ground when he tackles. That leaves you with two Safeties we can somewhat rely on; one because of his inconsistency and the other because he was a rookie last year. Frankly, Safety is by far the biggest need we have. I understand the pass-protection need but we have 2 former 1st round OT's coming back from injury, plus another UDFA that stepped up admirably at RT last year. Physicality starts up front, but if you've got physical WR's who can manhandle our mediocre secondary, opposing offenses can dink and dunk their way down the field the way SF and Minnesota did; especially when we go to that awful prevent zone. In order to avoid that problem, I think we need to do what Seattle has done and go with an aggressive back 4. I believe that both McMillian and Burnett can be those guys at the Safety position and House and Hayward can do so at CB, but we need at least 2-3 more players to step up into that scheme, and admittedly I'd hate to sacrifice Richardson's potential, and Shields' play to go to that kind of style fulltime. Either way, we need at least one more FS and possibly a CB if House can't come back from that injury.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
mccammon07 wrote:

I agree. As for Minter, I'd like him if Hawk were gone. For now, Hawk is the guy there unfortunately for some. If we did draft Amerson it'd be to move to FS. I don't think he's fast enough to play CB in the league. I don't see the need for an OG in the 6th though "that would be a TT move" and the Beauharnais selection is kind of a waste because he'd go on to join Lattimore, Manning, Francois, and all those other ILB/OLB tweeners we already have. I love the Michael pick but I just don't see where he's going to fit unless you cut Saine, Starks, AND Green. Just don't see all three of those guys axed even though that would be the move I'd make actually. So switching out the Michael pick for an OLB might be a better idea. Again, just my opinion. I like the way you went with this draft; especially the Sylvester Williams and Gavin Escobar picks.

The only thing I really vehemently disagree with is your opinion on the Safety position. We just cut Woodson, we have Sean Richardson who I don't even think saw the field. You've got MD Jennings who has poor tackling technique and rides the player to the ground when he tackles. That leaves you with two Safeties we can somewhat rely on; one because of his inconsistency and the other because he was a rookie last year. Frankly, Safety is by far the biggest need we have. I understand the pass-protection need but we have 2 former 1st round OT's coming back from injury, plus another UDFA that stepped up admirably at RT last year. Physicality starts up front, but if you've got physical WR's who can manhandle our mediocre secondary, opposing offenses can dink and dunk their way down the field the way SF and Minnesota did; especially when we go to that awful prevent zone. In order to avoid that problem, I think we need to do what Seattle has done and go with an aggressive back 4. I believe that both McMillian and Burnett can be those guys at the Safety position and House and Hayward can do so at CB, but we need at least 2-3 more players to step up into that scheme, and admittedly I'd hate to sacrifice Richardson's potential, and Shields' play to go to that kind of style fulltime. Either way, we need at least one more FS and possibly a CB if House can't come back from that injury.

Thanks for the feedback. Learned quite a bit.

The reason I don't go safety is twofold. One, I don't see anyone other than Vaccaro being worth a top 26 selection, and I don't see Elam or Jefferson as being worth it in the second round with the other talent available. I don't think they're the type of guy I want in this fit right now, but that's me, and I wouldn't take it to the bank.

I looked at Amerson at corner. He'll run fine. He isn't a burner but we don't need that, like you said. You sort of contradicted yourself. I could see him at safety because of the physicality, but the ball skills aren't there right now and he's not great with his back to the ball either. I see him as a House 2.0 with a bit more upside. Either way, more talent to the secondary isn't a bad thing. I'd like to see this. And Amerson is a different mold than the Williams/Hayward/Shields undersized trio.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
The reason I don't go safety is twofold. One, I don't see anyone other than Vaccaro being worth a top 26 selection, and I don't see Elam or Jefferson as being worth it in the second round with the other talent available. I don't think they're the type of guy I want in this fit right now...

Agreed. I HATE this Safety class to be brutally honest with you but we have to get someone. Swearinger and Motta are two guys in the 3rd and 5th rounds that I'd be looking at right now though Motta would be more depth than anything. We really need to address the secondary given the way Slowpoke Williams has played, especially now that he doesn't have a solid Safety to help him out when he gets beat.

CentralFC wrote:
I looked at Amerson at corner. He'll run fine. He isn't a burner but we don't need that, like you said. You sort of contradicted yourself. I could see him at safety because of the physicality, but the ball skills aren't there right now and he's not great with his back to the ball either. I see him as a House 2.0 with a bit more upside. Either way, more talent to the secondary isn't a bad thing. I'd like to see this. And Amerson is a different mold than the Williams/Hayward/Shields undersized trio.

I should've explained that better. I'd like for a tight, man-to-man coverage scheme 70/30 vs. zone. Amerson could be a big guy for that package but like you said, he's got issues turning his back to the ball. That's problematic at the next level which is why he has tumbled down the boards from being a 1st round pick to almost a 4th now. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there or falls further.

I don't see him as a House 2.0 however simply because House has the recovery speed. TT flat out STOLE House from that draft because the only real concerns about House coming into the league was a level of competition. They said the same things about Nick Collins, DJ Smith, and Cullen Jenkins. How'd those guys work out?

but I digress...

What's your opinion on Micah Hyde? I've seen quite a bit of him and he seems to be around the ball on every play and he's tough as nails. I think he could make the transition to Safety from CB and maybe play a combination of CB and S. I think it'd be worth a 6th or 7th to bring him in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: