Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JLambert58 New Mock with trades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: JLambert58 New Mock with trades Reply with quote

Rd. 1 trade #17 & #143 to St. Louis Rams for #22 & #78
Rd. 1 #22 Kevin Minter ILB - LSU
Rd. 2 trade #48 & #78 to Detroit Lions for #36, #130, #163, #195
Rd. 2 #36 Matt Elam SS - Florida
Rd. 3 #79 Sean Porter OLB - Texas A&M
Rd. 4 #112 Markus Wheaton WR - Oregon State Univ.
Rd. 5 #130 Marcus Lattimore RB - South Carolina
Rd. 6 #163 Le'Veon Bell RB - Michigan State
Rd. 6 #176 Cornelius Washington OLB - Georgia
Rd. 7 #195 Matt Scott QB - Arizona
Rd. 7 #207 Travis Kelce TE - Cincinnati
Rd. 7 Comp Aaron Mellette WR - Elon
Dook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the trades, it's not Colbert's style but I'm hoping this year he moves down in the first round.

Like all the picks, even the two RB's to give Lattimore time to heal.

Think WR Mellette is going to go much higher than the 7th round though, I know he went to a very small school but he tore it up.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dook. I agree it's a bit hopeful in certain areas. Would love to see Colbert deal in this draft. You hit it perfectly Lattimore and another able body to give hime time to come back.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, but not great either.

Unrealistic. As mentioned, Colbert hardly ever trades down and you have him doing it twice in the first 2 rounds.

Not saying its impossible, just very very unlikely.

I like the positions for the most part. Not sure why you have us doubling up on WR and RB and ignoring NT and OLine completely. We need a starting NT (McClendon is not one so lets squash that bug right now) and even if you are okay with our starters, we need depth. We are going to lose Starks, Colon and maybe Foster. If that happens, we NEEEEEED OLine...at the very least depth.

Minter is solid, but a reach there.

Elam is okay for a 2nd round pick. Not very high on him, but not bad.

Porter is a nice pick there.

Wheaton is a speed guy who would replace his speed, I suppose. But I believe it was jebrick who raised a very good point the other day....we have no one that attacks the ball. Wheaton has speed, but he body catches and lets the ball come to him.

That being said, I have no problem with Wheaton.

Lattimore...good pick. Worth the risk in the 5th, although I feel like some team will take him sooner than they should.

Bell...nice, but dont should spend this pick on an OLIne guy or NT. Also, he may go 2 or 3 rounds higher than this.

Washington....about where he should go.

Scott, probably get him undrafted, but either way.

Dont know Kelce or Mellete at all.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 thanks for the feedback. I know Colbert tends not to wheel & deal but never say never. I think Minter could be Potsie 2.0 and Elam, Polamalu 2.0. Hey of course that is optimistic but think both could be special in our defense.

I actually have him trading down and then back up in the second. I think it would be worth it to nab Elam.

I doubled down on WR for obvious reasons. Wheaton is a Wallace clone. Mellette is bigger hopefully better than Tony Clemons. Doubled on RB because of Lattimore's injury situation. Of course, he could end up being an absolute beast in 2014 and beyond.

As far as OL. I think Colon stays. His cap hit is minimal and he is a beast in the middle of the line. Of course staying healthy is key but last year 12 games is a hell of a lot better than 1 in prior years. That leaves Beachum as an Essex type backup of all positions. Legs might be back on a minimum. I don't see a lot of interest for him. But I certainly understand the concern and would not rule out a OL pick at some point.

As far as NT. I agree it is thin w/o Hampton. I think we need to give McClendon a chance to show what he can do. Maybe acquire a cheap backup NT in FA to compete w/ Taamu & Fangupo. Again, never rule out Hampton coming back for the Vet minimum. I mean is there really going to be that much interest in a 36 yo NT? Plus Hampton probably wouldn't mind finishing his career in the B&G.

Washington is a one trick pony ala Bruce Irvin but hey, we could use that trick. Hopefully Porter could develop into the next big-time starter at some point. And we could see what Worilds has got for a whole season.

Ultimately this draft would massively strengthen our team for years to come. There is always next year to add other positions.

Thanks again for the feedback. JL58
Dook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have a better idea of which of our free agents will be gone by the time the draft comes around.

As for Colon, we can save $5.5m by cutting him after June 1st. I wouldn't consider that minimal when we're estimated to be over the cap by $14m and I'm just really ready to move on from him and start anyone at LG but him.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook, the cap savings for Colon is only 1.2 if we cut him. I think he is worth that much, don't you? I recently read about the idea of trading Harrison rather than cutting him. I think that would save us 6 mill or so against the cap. Makes more sense to me. If Beachum can fill in well, I would feel very comfortable starting the season like that.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Dook, the cap savings for Colon is only 1.2 if we cut him. I think he is worth that much, don't you? I recently read about the idea of trading Harrison rather than cutting him. I think that would save us 6 mill or so against the cap. Makes more sense to me. If Beachum can fill in well, I would feel very comfortable starting the season like that.

Cutting Colon after June 1st saves more than that.

And no, Colon is not worth that. He is a fat waste of space taking up money and a roster spot on this team. He needs to go, like...3 years ago.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: JLambert58 New Mock with trades Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Rd. 1 trade #17 & #143 to St. Louis Rams for #22 & #78
Rd. 1 #22 Kevin Minter ILB - LSU
Rd. 2 trade #48 & #78 to Detroit Lions for #36, #130, #163, #195
Rd. 2 #36 Matt Elam SS - Florida
Rd. 3 #79 Sean Porter OLB - Texas A&M
Rd. 4 #112 Markus Wheaton WR - Oregon State Univ.
Rd. 5 #130 Marcus Lattimore RB - South Carolina
Rd. 6 #163 Le'Veon Bell RB - Michigan State
Rd. 6 #176 Cornelius Washington OLB - Georgia
Rd. 7 #195 Matt Scott QB - Arizona
Rd. 7 #207 Travis Kelce TE - Cincinnati
Rd. 7 Comp Aaron Mellette WR - Elon

You did a lot of moving to add extra picks. Is the Steelers goal to add more players or better players/talent? I have always subscribed to getting as many of the top 100 players at any position to improve your team. That philosophy is now paying off for Seattle and San Francisco.

I don't mind the move down because we gained a #78 and dropped only five spots in round 1. However, I like having 48, 78 and 79 far better than 36, 130, 163 and 195.

That #48 and #78 are far more valueable than the 130, 163 and 195 in my humble opinion. I get it that the point was to add picks, but the value of the 48 and 78 are greater to me than extra 6th and 7th round picks.
There is a difference in quality if the right players are drafted.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft overall. The only two changes I would consider would be Ogletree over Minter (depending on if he is available at our pick). If we are going to go with a ILB in the 1st he would be my choice. Also I don't know about doubling up on RB's, I like Bell a lot but I think his best fit would be in a power blocking scheme which we are moving away from. Love the 2 WR picks!
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 - I'm no cap expert, but my understanding is that cutting Colon only saves us 1.2 mil. Not sure how the before/after June 1 thing works. I disagree that he is a fat waste of space. I thought he was a solid cog in the O Line and brought some nasty that we needed across the board.

Hitman, I agree 100% to rack as many top 100 picks as possible . Don't forget in that scenario we also pick up #36. Main reason was to nab Elam before he was taken off the board. I believe he could be a strong replacement for Polamalu in the coming years.

Popie, I agree Ogletree is enticing, but he projects more as Lawrence Timmons mack ilb whereas Minter could be a capable buck ilb imo. You might be right about Bell, didn't study him as much. Point was to get a healthy back while Lattimore rehabed his knee. Thanks would be very happy with the 2 wr's as well.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter would be an ILB for us. He's a smarter, less explosive Timmons. Just like Sean Spence.

so we would be 3-deep at MILB and we'd have Minter as our BILB
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kethnaab, I think Porter is versatile. He certainly has the speed and athleticism to play the Mack but I really think he projects more as an OLB (9.5 sacks, 17 tfl in 2012), certainly that's what i was thinking w this draft. I like the fact that we could move him around if necessary. He's great in coverage and against the run, he can do it all.
Troofax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Not bad, but not great either.

Unrealistic. As mentioned, Colbert hardly ever trades down and you have him doing it twice in the first 2 rounds.

Not saying its impossible, just very very unlikely.

I like the positions for the most part. Not sure why you have us doubling up on WR and RB and ignoring NT and OLine completely. We need a starting NT (McClendon is not one so lets squash that bug right now) and even if you are okay with our starters, we need depth. We are going to lose Starks, Colon and maybe Foster. If that happens, we NEEEEEED OLine...at the very least depth.

Minter is solid, but a reach there.

Elam is okay for a 2nd round pick. Not very high on him, but not bad.

Porter is a nice pick there.

Wheaton is a speed guy who would replace his speed, I suppose. But I believe it was jebrick who raised a very good point the other day....we have no one that attacks the ball. Wheaton has speed, but he body catches and lets the ball come to him.

That being said, I have no problem with Wheaton.

Lattimore...good pick. Worth the risk in the 5th, although I feel like some team will take him sooner than they should.

Bell...nice, but dont should spend this pick on an OLIne guy or NT. Also, he may go 2 or 3 rounds higher than this.

Washington....about where he should go.

Scott, probably get him undrafted, but either way.

Dont know Kelce or Mellete at all.

The only bug that needs to be squashed is the one in your heads telling you we need to go NT in round 1.

W O R S T I D E A E V E R !!

There will be no NT in the first round. I'll take in any bets.. McClendon WILLstart, and we'll develop Ta'amu. Can't wait to bump that quote.
Wink
3. Robert Woods WR USC
4. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA

That's all I got, will fill in the rest later.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:

Welcome to the site Lambert58. Smile

You aren't going to find many who agree with you on here about Colon though but I won't hold that against you. Razz I just don't like him at all and never have. The guy has finished three straight season on the IR and is a penalty machine. Colon is worth $1.20 if that. I don't see any way he is coming back, especially IF they go ZBS, and the team will be far better off for it. No one is going to trade for a 35 year old Harrison whose best days are way past him. He most likely will be cut if he doesn't take a pay cut.

As for the mock I like the majority of the players you selected but I don't feel Porter isn't a good fit at OLB with his size. Wheaton would be a steal in the fourth. The only way I would want Minter is if they do indeed trade down which you did. Elam would be a very nice pick in the second. Bell will probably go higher but for a guy that big he is really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't think he would be a good fit if the Steelers change their run offense to a ZBS though. Lattimore in the fifth is fine and worth taking a flyer on. I'm not familiar with Washington. I'm all in favor of trading down but I don't know if they will be able to accomplish that in the first round.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: