Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Did You Learn?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

This thread is not to call others out for their predictions.
I just want to make that clear, we're not going to troll others for their predictions. Everyone was off on this team in one area or another.

But taking a look at our predictions thread, we see:

11-5 (1)
10-6 (3)
9-7 (2) (added mine here)
8-8 (2)

Our fan base was very optimistic about our chances to challenge this year, but then we fell flat on our faces as a team and finished a league worst 2-14, like many outside the team had predicted.

We've had some time to reflect over all of this, and I think this would be a good time to ask what you learned from this year? What did we learn as a fan base? What types of things did you learn about the NFL? About this team? About our front office? Our coaching staff? Our players?

I'll add my full thoughts later, but the biggest one for me was how bad inept coaching can screw your team. We've never really had truly inept coaching until this past season, and I've never really experienced that with any of my teams, so this was a first for me. And man was it awful to watch. I've never seen coaching take so many close games (that we were usually trailing) and turn them into blowouts in a matter of minutes out of the 3rd quarter before.

I also was incredibly surprised at the impact on the entire defense that Daryl Smith had. I always thought he was a great player, but the way the he was able to come in and completely change the dichotomy of our entire defense was pretty amazing.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add more later but to predict records you take a look at starting QBs and whomever is better is usually the winner.

#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every year it's evident that I'm bad at stat projections Laughing

10-6 and playoff contender was clearly off the mark though. I was right about Daryl Smith so I can't really agree to having learned that as much as having had my thoughts verified.

The biggest thing that I learned in 2012 was that so much of what happens in the NFL is based off of circumstance and teams are never really as close or far off as they appear.

We appeared to have a more experienced coaching staff and expected a lot of big things - instead we received a coaching performance even worse than the lame duck staff of 2011. It appeared that we were close to playoff contention and only needed solid QB play to get there - what happened? We assumed the great defense and running game were guarantees and they were not. Daryl went down, Lowery went down, Knighton went down, and the coaching was so inept that we saw regression in almost every facet of team D until Daryl returned. MJD went down and Jennings proved to not be capable of being the #1 guy and was a victim of poor line play and what appeared to be unnecessary rust; though, clearly, he showed that in general he cannot be THE guy at RB. In week one, we went neck-and-neck with Minnesota and that was fitting because we were similar teams looking for a similar result. What happened? MJD and Daryl got hurt and their defense stayed intact and AP became MVP. Gabbert got hurt and thrown under the bus by the coaching staff in a multitude of ways and Ponder was able to be given ample opportunity to play it safe by his coaches and the guys around him.

We saw the Colts go from the #1 selection in 2012 to playoff team with a weak roster. We saw the Vikings in a similar (if not worse) situation reach what we expected from our team. The message to take from that would be not to count out a quick turnaround, but to also not look at it as what will happen. No Colts fan expected the playoffs. If Gabbert is viewed as the #1 QB in this class then, in a way, with improvement and a competent coaching staff there could essentially be three top thirty-three selections on our team come this fall. Then again, there is no guarantee. As promising as the Gabbert talk has been and as promising as everything in this organization looks right now with big three tWo it means nothing. There could be injuries. The past two years have been hard on us in that regard. Gabbert could flounder. Improvement and promise and all, he still is a bottom seven QB. Bradley could be all rah-rah and Caldwell could just end up being the guy who prevented one evil and created a lot more.

Also, I have learned that no matter how much I try to avoid speaking in absolutes and certainties and "we will see" talk that it'll be misinterpreted as optimism. Laughing

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
[b]bad inept coaching can screw your team.

Unless you predicted "unorganized, unprepared and uninspired", your prediction became a disappointment real quick.

I'm not sure if I predicted a record, I rarely do, but I know I expected division contention and playoffs. There's no excuse for that not to be the case.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Unless you predicted "unorganized, unprepared and uninspired", your prediction became a disappointment real quick.

I'm not sure if I predicted a record, I rarely do, but I know I expected division contention and playoffs. There's no excuse for that not to be the case.

11-5, if you were wondering.

- Best since day one -
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I predicted that? Or was that yours?

- Gus Bradley
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That was yours from the USJJC thread.

- Best since day one -
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What Did You Learn? Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That was yours from the USJJC thread.

Sounds about right I guess. I forgot the competition made me - for whatever reason, I don't like to predict records.

- Gus Bradley
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned how much I hate Mike Mularkey.
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
I learned how much I hate Mike Mularkey.

That makes all of us.

- Gus Bradley
sadjag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned not too expect improvement, By that I mean "we have the 6th rated defense in teh leeg!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i learned that no matter how pessimistic i feel about an upcoming Jaguars season...they can find ways to exceed expectations? Razz

I didn't think we'd have a competitive playoff team last year...but i certainly didn't think we'd lose basically ALL of the games.

Essentially...this past season was an exercise in 'how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb'. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that injuries ruined us...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I learned that injuries ruined us...

Definitely didn't help a young team come together.

- Gus Bradley
jagman777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we'd be mediocre.

I was wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: