Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking the Roster 2013 #5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Number Five
Derek Cox, CB
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Cecil Shorts III, WR
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Bryan Anger, P
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Dawan Landry, S
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Dwight Lowery, S
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Josh Scobee, K
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jeremy Mincey, DE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Justin Blackmon, WR
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
CJ Mosley, DT
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
i voted blackmon over shorts or cox for the following reasons....

i think his ceiling is higher than shorts' b/c he is way more physical and won't have the concussion problems that are limiting shorts.

i devalue cox a little bit for the same reason..he's oft injured, limiting his contributions.

anyway...i value reliability, and truth be told i don't trust shorts or cox on that count.

-charles

Says who?

reread the bolded. says me..it's just my opinion.

-charles

But how can you say that you don't think Blackmon will get concussions......an injury that anyone can get relatively easily?

I hate the Jaguars
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even making this up... last night I dreamed about having a concussion and I've never had one. I cannot even say I cannot dream of having a concussion - because I just did. How can we say the same for an NFL player - especially an NFL WR?

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this is where it gets really tough, now that MJD is finally on the list

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a concussion before, very mild. It might be the most terrifying experience. There was like a delay in everything I did. I would turn my head, and it would take a split second for me to actually see the things in front of me as I turned my head. It's scary to see your brain malfunctioning like that.

Anyway, tied up between Cox and Shorts. And I still can't decide who to choose.

Also went ahead and locked the past threads. Feel free to pull over a quote from one of them if you want to continue discussion. Just don't want a bunch of them to get bumped *cough*jaguarcrazy*cough* and possibly confuse people where we are on the list.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I've had a concussion before, very mild. It might be the most terrifying experience. There was like a delay in everything I did. I would turn my head, and it would take a split second for me to actually see the things in front of me as I turned my head. It's scary to see your brain malfunctioning like that.

Also went ahead and locked the past threads. Feel free to pull over a quote from one of them if you want to continue discussion. Just don't want a bunch of them to get bumped *cough*jaguarcrazy*cough* and possibly confuse people where we are on the list.

Sorry Embarassed Just getting caught up.

I too have had a 2 concussions, 1 in a go-kart accident when I was 12 and a football injury when I was 19...The 2nd one caused a fight and 2 of the players were arrested...loads of fun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
charles shelton wrote:

i think his ceiling is higher than shorts' b/c he is way more physical and won't have the concussion problems that are limiting shorts.

i devalue cox a little bit for the same reason..he's oft injured, limiting his contributions.

anyway...i value reliability, and truth be told i don't trust shorts or cox on that count.

-charles

Says who?

-charles

But how can you say that you don't think Blackmon will get concussions......an injury that anyone can get relatively easily?

some guys just seem more prone to them imo. you're right that anyone can get one...but come on...shorts doesn't seem a little bit fragile to any of you?

let's put this another way. you're the gm...you get to keep one guy of the trio of blackmon, cox or shorts...who are you keeping? for me..it's blackmon.

-charles
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
charles shelton wrote:

-charles

Says who?

-charles

some guys just seem more prone to them imo. you're right that anyone can get one...but come on...shorts doesn't seem a little bit fragile to any of you?

let's put this another way. you're the gm...you get to keep one guy of the trio of blackmon, cox or shorts...who are you keeping? for me..it's blackmon.

-charles
Fragile? Nope. There's a reason why the NFL has banned the type of shots that gave him those two concussions. The NFL recognized how dangerous those shots are.

There's really no predisposition for concussions. The entire concussion is predicated on the intertea of the brain as it smacks into your skull. If Blackmon or anyone else gets those exact hits, they're concussed too. It's not like with other injuries where a player has a higher bone density, so they don't break bones as easily, or a player is more flexible and they are less prone to ligament damage. There's really none of that going on with a concussion.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I too have had a 2 concussions, 1 in a go-kart accident when I was 12 and a football injury when I was 19...The 2nd one caused a fight and 2 of the players were arrested...loads of fun
Were your symptoms the same, where your brain processes information slower?

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
jagman777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I had multiple minor concussions from football, and one serious incident in a car accident. After it happened, I sat down on the ground and played with sticks in the dirt for like 30 minutes until I fully came to. Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

The football one was worse, I was essentially picked up by a guy 5 inches taller and ~70 pounds heavier and slammed into the ground on my back/head. I couldnt feel my arms and legs for a minute or 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
charles shelton wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
charles shelton wrote:

-charles

Says who?

-charles

-charles
Fragile? Nope. There's a reason why the NFL has banned the type of shots that gave him those two concussions. The NFL recognized how dangerous those shots are.

There's really no predisposition for concussions. The entire concussion is predicated on the intertea of the brain as it smacks into your skull. If Blackmon or anyone else gets those exact hits, they're concussed too. It's not like with other injuries where a player has a higher bone density, so they don't break bones as easily, or a player is more flexible and they are less prone to ligament damage. There's really none of that going on with a concussion.

That all reads well, but unless you're some kind of brain surgeon or other kind of medical expert, it's still just a layman's opinion. I can't argue any of the medical specifics, however, I can point to results. The results are that Shorts has, in a short period time, suffered several concussions, while Blackmon has not. I considered that, along with what I believe is a higher ceiling for Blackmon, when asked to rank the players on the team. It still boils down to a simple question for me..if I could only keep one, who would it be? It's Blackmon for me.

Cox, btw, doesn't even belong in the discussion imo. His propensity for injuries is well documented and I'm sure no one on the forum really believes that we would be able to count on him for 16 games if we resign him.

-charles
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I've had a few concussions, because hockey and stuff.

To me it was almost like a dream or something. Like the worst one, right after, i popped up and kind of responded to people and sort of carried on about my business going for a line change, etc. and it almost seemed like everything was normal but a bit surreal. Aware of specific details but everything else just kind of tuned out, like those dreams where certain things stick out oddly and you know something...but you don't know why you know it. And then a bit later after getting sent to the dressing room and being attended to it kinda hit like...wtf just happened? Kinda like waking up and thinking about a dream and realizing it doesn't make any sense.

But yeah, they suck. A lot. And it's definitely scary that the brain can get all scrambled like that.

I really question the lack of respect for that sort of injury that i see in the NFL sometimes. There's still a lot of that, 'ahhh, just got his bell run a bit!' mentality to it at times and it's dangerous imo.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
That all reads well, but unless you're some kind of brain surgeon or other kind of medical expert, it's still just a layman's opinion.
Does being a Psych major who wrote a 50 page case study on Chris Benoit that largely focused on traumatic brain injury (like concussions) count? There's been a lot of studies on this, testing things APOE (specifically apolipoprotein epsilon 4 allele) and they all have shown no correlation. At this point, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that certain people are predisposed to concussions.

Shorts was just a victim of two brutal, illegal shots to his head.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool about the case study iPwn!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cox

Its hard finding a dependable defender, and without injury...no one is even close on the team.

"Props to Joe_is_the_best for the sig"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: