Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Charles Woodson as stop gap for the Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
Losing 15% of your cap for not going along with the rest of the league's collusion during an uncapped year is brutal.

FTFY.
Dashing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Dashing wrote:
it rly wouldn't hurt skins O is enough to win the SB now its the D turn. Rather have him than Madeiu Williams or even possibly Hall and Wilson at CB . IDC if its one year we can win the SB if our D can be top 10.

What kind of contract would you give him? Do you really think we are that close to SB contenders? What would you do for the long-term solution at safety? Wouldn't you rather give that money to a younger DB? At this point, Woodson will be getting money based on name recognition more than his actual pay.

Dude we won 7 straight we lost to the Rams-craphawks-and also the bengals because of our defense ...our O was explosive enough to win a SB we could of wen't 12-4 if our D would of stepped up.

I wouldn't mind a young CB and honestly I wouldn't overpay Woodson but i dont wanna hear this " we are rebuilding " talk we are 10-6 NFCE division I mean you guys dont wanna see it that way but defense is the only thing we need so again i would like a young CB but if his price is very cheap than yes but now is the time to take advantage the eagles have a new coach and system the giants are falling apart while dallas has a new 4-3 and out of all of them seems to me we are looking at another division title.

agaun we lost to ATL because of the D too we lost to the seahawks because well a bad RG3 injured and our DL getting dominatded along with our pass rush.

we have no picks other than the 2nd round so how can any one say we arent contenders if we also beat the Ravens? we need as much help as we can get , RG3 legs will not be like this forever so go ahead lets go for it what do we have to lose lol rebuild what.

WR - young
OL-young
QB-young
-LB core- young
Secondary - not young
DL-young
TE-young
RB's-young
FB-young

wtf else we gotta rebuld on ? .

DL- needs more talent and possibly vet- Seymour would be nice
LB-London leaving but a vet would be nice
FS-Jackson or a FS would be good maybe woodson idk idc
SS-Meriweather but another back up be nice
WR-A dwayne Bowe would be great!
CB-a Aqib Talib-Grimes or a starter not named Hall would be#1 what we need

thats about it ...............why cant we just go this year ...we could of beatin seattle but once again we needed our O to come up but the D got dominated and wasn't there for Rg3 . So think about that i mean who cares we are 10-6 right now a better D and possibly same O can = 13-3.
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Dashing wrote:
it rly wouldn't hurt skins O is enough to win the SB now its the D turn. Rather have him than Madeiu Williams or even possibly Hall and Wilson at CB . IDC if its one year we can win the SB if our D can be top 10.

What kind of contract would you give him? Do you really think we are that close to SB contenders? What would you do for the long-term solution at safety? Wouldn't you rather give that money to a younger DB? At this point, Woodson will be getting money based on name recognition more than his actual pay.

Dude we won 7 straight we lost to the Rams-craphawks-and also the bengals because of our defense ...our O was explosive enough to win a SB we could of wen't 12-4 if our D would of stepped up.

I wouldn't mind a young CB and honestly I wouldn't overpay Woodson but i dont wanna hear this " we are rebuilding " talk we are 10-6 NFCE division I mean you guys dont wanna see it that way but defense is the only thing we need so again i would like a young CB but if his price is very cheap than yes but now is the time to take advantage the eagles have a new coach and system the giants are falling apart while dallas has a new 4-3 and out of all of them seems to me we are looking at another division title.

agaun we lost to ATL because of the D too we lost to the seahawks because well a bad RG3 injured and our DL getting dominatded along with our pass rush.

we have no picks other than the 2nd round so how can any one say we arent contenders if we also beat the Ravens? we need as much help as we can get , RG3 legs will not be like this forever so go ahead lets go for it what do we have to lose lol rebuild what.

WR - young
OL-young
QB-young
-LB core- young
Secondary - not young
DL-young
TE-young
RB's-young
FB-young

thats about it ...............why cant we just go this year ...we could of beatin seattle but once again we needed our O to come up but the D got dominated and wasn't there for Rg3 . So think about that i mean who cares we are 10-6 right now a better D and possibly same O can = 13-3.

In 1999 the Redskins went 10-6 and won the NFC East. The next year Snyder went out and signed Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier, Jeff George, and Andre Reed. These players were supposed to put us over the top, but the problem is that they were just names at this point and past their prime. That one offseason set us back a decade.

Now I'm not saying we need to rebuild, but we still need to build. You say we are young at WR but that doesn't mean we are set there. In the next 2 offseasons, WR has to be addressed. The LBers may be young but there are still a lot of long term questions. London might be done and Rak is on the last year of his contract. Our Dline is young? That's news to me.

To say we don't have multiple holes would be straight homerism. He need to build for the next 10 years, not the next 2.

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Dashing wrote:

we actually lost to the Seahawks because our offense fell apart after the first two drives, rg3 got hurt and we abandoned the run which had led us to the 14 point lead. The defense and kicking game (Forbath) were the things that improved in our 7 game win streak. Our offense was consistent all year long, run first offense.

The defense only have up 380 yds and 24 points in the playoff game and that was with an offense that failed to move the ball after the 1st quarter. We also turned the ball over on offense which hurt us.

Quote:
last year rookie qb, rookie wr, two new wrs in FA. Looks like a rebuild last year to me. Yes, we won 7 straight but that doesn't change the fact that at this time last year we were talking about "rebuilding" the offense.

Woodson's price isn't going to be cheap, I'm sure all the playoff teams (but Seattle and Gb)will try to get him and other teams that were close to the playoffs, the demand will drive his price up.

Quote:
again we lost to ATL because of the D too we lost to the seahawks because well a bad RG3 injured and our DL getting dominatded along with our pass rush.

WR - young
OL-young
QB-young
-LB core- young
Secondary - not young
DL-young
TE-young
RB's-young
FB-young

the D didn't get dominated. The O did nothing for 3 quarters.

That's funny you say replace Hall before this post you were claiming he was a shut down cb the second half of the season. Laughing

Again, we can't afford Bowe, we can't afford Woodson and we don't even need an upgrade at wr. Our current core of wrs was the best we've had in 20 years. Even if Moss is gone we don't need another wr but a return man( late round pick, cheap FA who's fast)

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
In 1999 the Redskins went 10-6 and won the NFC East. The next year Snyder went out and signed Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier, Jeff George, and Andre Reed. These players were supposed to put us over the top, but the problem is that they were just names at this point and past their prime. That one offseason set us back a decade.

Now I'm not saying we need to rebuild, but we still need to build. You say we are young at WR but that doesn't mean we are set there. In the next 2 offseasons, WR has to be addressed. The LBers may be young but there are still a lot of long term questions. London might be done and Rak is on the last year of his contract. Our Dline is young? That's news to me.

To say we don't have multiple holes would be straight homerism. He need to build for the next 10 years, not the next 2.

Some good points here. To offer my own thoughts...

- Not likely the team will get a vet FA unless they can extend DeAngelo Hall long-term, and if we do it'll be one player. So, in that respect, there will not be a splurge. Even next year with the money back, I doubt it will happen because of the necessity to re-sign players like Orakpo and looking ahead at Trent Williams, Perry Riley, and Ryan Kerrigan - the cap space they are bound to absorb.

- You are right about WR, but it is likely to be next year unless there is very good value on day three and another Aldrick Robinson type of player is available. As it stands, the team needs to see how Aldrick and Hank develop with another year. Right now, the top three receivers are set with Aldrick and Hank as the reserve players. Next year, Josh Morgan will be gone and they will need a plan B in case Hank does not materialize into a starter.

- Assuming they can keep Lorenzo Alexander with the cap issues (what a pain this is), I foresee the team relying on the inside linebacker depth to get them through another season. Maybe a late round ILB, but more likely an OLB.

All said, it looks like DB, OLB and DE are the more likely spots to be addressed. Quite frankly, I foresee the Skins trimming their picks due to the lack of cap. By that I mean they will use the extra 5th and 6th round picks to move up on day 2 or early on day 3. Of course, it could be the opposite.

Even without the first rounder, this staff's drafts are infinitely more interesting, particularly with the cap penalty. Simply put, there will be substantial holes on the team this year and good players will be lost through the free agency process, potentially a Lorenzo Alexander.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

- Not likely the team will get a vet FA unless they can extend DeAngelo Hall long-term, and if we do it'll be one player. So, in that respect, there will not be a splurge. Even next year with the money back, I doubt it will happen because of the necessity to re-sign players like Orakpo and looking ahead at Trent Williams, Perry Riley, and Ryan Kerrigan - the cap space they are bound to absorb.

- You are right about WR, but it is likely to be next year unless there is very good value on day three and another Aldrick Robinson type of player is available. As it stands, the team needs to see how Aldrick and Hank develop with another year. Right now, the top three receivers are set with Aldrick and Hank as the reserve players. Next year, Josh Morgan will be gone and they will need a plan B in case Hank does not materialize into a starter.

- Assuming they can keep Lorenzo Alexander with the cap issues (what a pain this is), I foresee the team relying on the inside linebacker depth to get them through another season. Maybe a late round ILB, but more likely an OLB.

All said, it looks like DB, OLB and DE are the more likely spots to be addressed. Quite frankly, I foresee the Skins trimming their picks due to the lack of cap. By that I mean they will use the extra 5th and 6th round picks to move up on day 2 or early on day 3. Of course, it could be the opposite.

Even without the first rounder, this staff's drafts are infinitely more interesting, particularly with the cap penalty. Simply put, there will be substantial holes on the team this year and good players will be lost through the free agency process, potentially a Lorenzo Alexander.
Basically,our team will be similar to this years team with a few upgrades in the draft and hopefully one of those players, if not 2, can be a starter.

Good news is, last years team had holes, which got larger with Rak and Carrikers injuries and we still won the division! So hopefully we can repeat the magic! Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

One thing to consider about Hall: he's owned not only $8M this year, but $9M in salary next year. While it's possible to get him to agree to an extension of his contract, we're either going to have to convince him that he needs to eat some salary (a tough play) or convert most of that $17M into guaranteed money. That might not be worth it.

At the same time, cutting Hall and just replacing his cap hit with a guy like Woodson for two years doesn't make much sense either.

Quote:

It's not beyond the pale that the Redskins could cut Moss (again salary cap reasons), thus leading to either Hank or Aldrick being promoted to top three.

Quote:

I would be a bit surprised if tried to trim the number of picks they have solely for cap reasons, given that the total cost of the team's draft picks is probably less than cutting Santana Moss. That is not to say that they won't trade up and use less overall picks if there is a player they want; I just don't see them making that decision solely to save cap space.

As for Lorenzo Alexander, losing him would be a major issue. He's a locker room presence, the special teams captain, and a key reserve. Now, if some team offers him a deal like Dockery got from the Bills, then let him walk. However, anything reasonable we should match.
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Basically,our team will be similar to this years team with a few upgrades in the draft and hopefully one of those players, if not 2, can be a starter.

Good news is, last years team had holes, which got larger with Rak and Carrikers injuries and we still won the division! So hopefully we can repeat the magic! Wink

We also got incredibly lucky. Our fumble recovery rate was high while our fumble loss rate was low. The bouncing of a prolate spheroid on grass is incredibly difficult to predict and its recovery is almost entirely due to fortune (good or ill).

That could change next year and cost us a couple of games.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

We also got incredibly lucky. Our fumble recovery rate was high while our fumble loss rate was low. The bouncing of a prolate spheroid on grass is incredibly difficult to predict and its recovery is almost entirely due to fortune (good or ill).

this is true but at the same time Orakpo and Carriker should be back and hopefully healthy all year. Our young guys will be a year more experienced, we should get at least one FA upgrade, if not 2 and hopefully our top draft pick can be a big contributor.

I expect our offense to be about the same next year and our defense to be better.

Woz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

this is true but at the same time Orakpo and Carriker should be back and hopefully healthy all year. Our young guys will be a year more experienced, we should get at least one FA upgrade, if not 2 and hopefully our top draft pick can be a big contributor.

I expect our offense to be about the same next year and our defense to be better.

Yes we get Orakpo back (and Carriker if he doesn't end up a cap casualty). However, recovering a fumble is not a skill; it's luck. For example, it was luck that we didn't lose the ball when Paul fumbled the ball out of bounds on that one kickoff (more accurately: the guy recovering it was out of bounds when he got control).

Likewise, RG3's fumble that landed in Morgan's hands for the TD? Complete luck.

We could very easily experience a reversion to the mean due to luck factors not breaking our way this year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Yes we get Orakpo back (and Carriker if he doesn't end up a cap casualty). However, recovering a fumble is not a skill; it's luck. For example, it was luck that we didn't lose the ball when Paul fumbled the ball out of bounds on that one kickoff (more accurately: the guy recovering it was out of bounds when he got control).

Likewise, RG3's fumble that landed in Morgan's hands for the TD? Complete luck.

We could very easily experience a reversion to the mean due to luck factors not breaking our way this year.
well this organization was due for luck and I think it continues because rg3 is an it guy and we haven't had those type of guys in offense since the early 90s

Woz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
well this organization was due for luck and I think it continues because rg3 is an it guy and we haven't had those type of guys in offense since the early 90s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy
I'm no gambler, just saying now that we have Rg3, I think we've proven, it's our time and luck played into that last year. Hopefully it continues

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157688/article/charles-woodson-im-waiting-around-for-nfl-interest

Seeing as Charles Woodson has no takers right now but I think all of us believe he has a few years left in the tank, should we kick the tires on him and put him at FS?

I'm quite surprised he hasn't garnered more attention in free agency. Maybe his asking price is too much or something but I haven't seen any reports of that. For the right price, I think we should sign Woodson.

When he was released the main reason I didn't want him was I thought he'd be too expensive and multiple teams would by bidding on his services. Now though, that it many the case.

I think the question needs to be asked, would you rather sign Charles Woodson or Antoine Winfield?

I'm going with Woodson. Woodson can play cb, but more importantly he can be a stop gap at FS. He can teach the young guys both positions. He can be a great mentor to Biggers, Crawford, Minifield and if we draft a rookie. He can also be a mentor to Pugh, Gomes, Bernstine and if we drsft a FS to develop behind him.

I think signing Woodson is a better option than signing Winfield because of his vast knowledge of all DB positions and his versatility.

The most important reason for signing Woodson might be that he is probably one of the few people that could challenge and get the most out of DeAngelo Hall. Hall has tons of talent, he has untapped talent really because he doesn't always stay fundamentally sound and doesn't stay focused. Woodson might be the most talented DB to ever play. Woodson always worked hard and stay focused though. I believe Woodson could get the best out of Hall which is something we haven't seen in a while.

21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Turtle if it came down to the decision of Woodson or Winfield I would take Woodson. Woodson could teach our young players both at the position of FS or CB a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: