Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor: Browns "may" try to trade Brandon Weeden.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly season is always chock full of rumors, but this offseason may generate the most ever.

New regime. Neither Banner nor Lombardi has really much of a documented track record to analyze. Both of them seem to be more of the secretive type (like Belichick and Mangini). I wouldn't put it past either of them to deliberately leak false stories to the press.

The rumors will be voluminous, and as usual, mostly false.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for FA and KC signing ASmith.... Then the Geno to CLE rumors will run rampant.

(under the right situation I would agree with that option)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Drafting Weeden where we drafted him was stupid. But that does not mean we should dump him. Who else can replace him this season?

That is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

Mastercheddaar wrote:
Drafting Weeden where we drafted him was stupid. But that does not mean we should dump him. Who else can replace him this season?

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I would sign Matt Moore or Alex Smith (if hes cheap) and let them compete with Weeden. I don't like the idea of drafting a QB at 6 because none seem that good, and I don't like the idea of throwing a lot of resources at someone else out there in free agency/trade because I don't see any answers out there either. Moore or Smith could work temporarily if they beat Weeden and if not could sit and be a good backup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I would sign Matt Moore or Alex Smith (if hes cheap) and let them compete with Weeden. I don't like the idea of drafting a QB at 6 because none seem that good, and I don't like the idea of throwing a lot of resources at someone else out there in free agency/trade because I don't see any answers out there either. Moore or Smith could work temporarily if they beat Weeden and if not could sit and be a good backup.

I agree with this.

I think we NEED a new QB, but I don't see an answer out there atm. And I'm not about to dump someone that can at least hold down the fort for now while we keep looking for our franchise guy.

For now, Weeden is our best option on paper. Unless we draft a guy in the later rounds and he pulls a Tom Brady (which I very much doubt)

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp
bruceb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Agree that this would be a good way to go, although I'd include Jason Campbell as another low-cost alternative to compete/be a good backup.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Can't agree for the money we cannot really do any better than weeden. New Offense, new defense... lets face it we are not superbowl bound next season. If Weeden does good then we might have something... but if we suck again because of him then he has to go.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
fatpig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know about you guys but the talk of Flacco, Smith, Moore, Campbell (shudder) puts me off. i want the Browns to find their own franchise QB. i don't want any more stop gaps - they're worthless in the grand scheme of things. Weeden could very well be our franchise guy, we simply don't know yet. some are super convinced already that he sucks but that's just blind hate.
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Mastercheddaar wrote:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Alex Smith isn't a FA, he has one more year on his deal. The 49ers have said that they aren't releasing him, they're very likely going to try and trade him to get value out of him.

I love Matt Moore. I really like the idea of bringing him in to compete for the starting spot and then drafting someone next year if neither he nor Weeden works out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpig wrote:
i don't know about you guys but the talk of Flacco, Smith, Moore, Campbell (shudder) puts me off. i want the Browns to find their own franchise QB. i don't want any more stop gaps - they're worthless in the grand scheme of things. Weeden could very well be our franchise guy, we simply don't know yet. some are super convinced already that he sucks but that's just blind hate.

I agree with you about wishing we could just get a franchise guy, but if I'm going to be pragmatic, I just don't see any franchise options available this year. I like Weeden and I think that he has shown enough to remain in the conversation (I really don't consider myself to be remotely close to the "blind hate" camp), but given his age (which, despite what some people are willing to acknowledge) it makes it even more of a risk to give him a season or two to prove what he can be. For example, he gets a little better this season, but still isn't in that category of being a top ten, or even top 15 QB... now he's turning 31 and we still don't know if he's a proven commodity. The new regime would definitely decide to draft a qb that they want, and Weeden is looked back on as being nothing more than a stop-gap. I think that's a lot more likely than proving this year that he's a franchise qb, at least enough for the new FO to fall in love with him.

That being said (and I know there are other threads devoted to this debate so I'm not trying to stir it up in this one too) I say we go with the proven commodity of Alex Smith, plan on him being a stop gap for a couple years who can manage games and won't be a detriment, and at least have a plan moving forward instead of hoping Weeden can be the guy and him falling short.
fatpig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ agree that there aren't any standout QBs in the draft this year. my hope is that the Browns scouts either find themselves a Russel Wilson type gem this year or just roll with Weeden. if Weeden turns out to be mediocre/bad, then draft a QB next year. imo Alex Smith isn't gonna do much for us. he's a game manager, he succeeded in SF because they have excellent skill positions and defense. not to mention i think Reid is gonna go hard after him in KC and overpay.
bruceb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this in the latest Weeden post, but it probably belongs here:

"The Cleveland Browns will listen to trade offers for QB's Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy."

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2013_NFL_Draft.html
Entropy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

"The Cleveland Browns will listen to trade offers for QB's Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy."

Watch this bruce. Tell us where you think Chud says he will listen to trade offers about Weeden...better yet, please quote what he actually said when asked about Weeden.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpig wrote:

you think Flacco would be a stop gap???

Flacco would be out franchise QB, we just got lucky and got him through FA like the Saints did with Brees.

why find our own when you can still the franchise QB from one of your biggest rivals lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Watch this bruce. Tell us where you think Chud says he will listen to trade offers about Weeden...better yet, please quote what he actually said when asked about Weeden.

Chud probably has no say in trade offers.

Mostly Lombardi, or maybe Banner.

So what's your point?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: