Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers release veteran DB Charles Woodson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the one claiming Woodson would be a big boost to the packers d when he came back from injury?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
ya know, hypothetically, if Woodson would sign with an NFC North rival, he goes from the "classy guy" to "tool".

Thats just how its going to be. I wouldn't label him any different, but I doubt he'll be a Viking. I think Seattle makes the most sense for him.
Where does he play? I think they are happy with Thomas at FS and Chancellor at SS. Woodson can't play outside even if he could Browner and Sherman are way better. And they seem very high on Jeremy Lane playing nickle. Unless you think he sould play dime?

well I don't think he'd be a starter, so my guess is he'd move back to CB and play nickle or dime.

but then, who's the number 2 CB for Seattle? Still Browner?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a great player for them. One of the main reasons why they have been contenders for years now. Green Bay definitely got their money's worth with him.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Patriots seems like a likely landing spot.

That was my first thought as well.

I didn't realize he was 37. I see him doing one more year. I can't really see him doing two more, 39 is unheard of for a DB.
PackerPride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Charles plays another year, that will be all though. One of my favorite Packers ever but it's just gone. There isn't a receiver in the nfl he can cover on a medium cross without contact anymore. Whoever signs him will regret it I think. Crying or Very sad
JMG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
theJ wrote:
Why was the first post locked? Is this news not true?

Probably because a mod couldn't wait a couple of minutes for me to add my comment on the thread, got locked while i was editing.

In all fairness, you've been told many times. You also shouldn't need to edit a post for your thoughts. You just have this undying urge to break news here on FF like your gonna get a gold star or something.
so true.

[]_[] Family
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Patriots seems like a likely landing spot.

That was my first thought as well.

I didn't realize he was 37. I see him doing one more year. I can't really see him doing two more, 39 is unheard of for a DB.

Pretty sure Rod Woodson was in the area.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Why do people fantasize about every vet going to the Pats?

Sure is crazy to think the Pats who need major help in their secondary would consider one of the better secondary players of the past decade

ELRammy
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if KC (Dorsey) brought him in on a 1-year deal. Help mentor Flowers and Al Harris is coaching in KC as well. Plus would be a good locker room guy.

Yes, his leadership skills are unquestioned and he is good against the run but he just isn't fast enough any more to cover folks. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ Raven wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
theJ wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
It was going to be very hard to re-structure that contract, I could see us making a play for him on a 1 year deal if he isn't too hurt by being dropped from that current deal. Fact is, he's only worth a little over league min now, I don't know if he'll settle for that anywhere.

That's really the question. Seems like the aging vets can't find decent money anymore. Probably due to a relatively flat cap and increasing salaries of the top players. That hurts guys like Woodson.

So the question is if Woodson is willing to play for a vet min contract, because he may have trouble finding anything else.

EDIT: though i will say that if he wants to play, i'm sure he'll find a job.

It sucks, really the NFL is turning into a joke in the opposite way that league like the MLB are becoming a joke. The league makes enough money to increase the damn salary cap every year, this flat cap is so stupid and is ruining the quality of the game. You have to keep a stud QB, like a Joe Flacco, Brees or Rodgers, but it's going to cost you 20+mil to do it, that leaves you nothing to build a defense with. Just looking at the Packers contracts, we had over 30 of our 53 man roster paid under a million dollars, thats how you have to be built no to keep a star QB.

Oh the problems of having a STAR quarterback...

Laughing Yes, we are rather spoiled. But I remember not that many years ago when the best QB we ever had after Starr's retirement was Don Majkowski...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
ya know, hypothetically, if Woodson would sign with an NFC North rival, he goes from the "classy guy" to "tool".

Thats just how its going to be. I wouldn't label him any different, but I doubt he'll be a Viking. I think Seattle makes the most sense for him.

Not really. I fear Rodgers would take advantage of his diminished cover skills. As someone else said earlier in this thread, the mind is willing but the legs ain't.

Last edited by Pugger on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Saints need S help.

unfortunately, they also need cap help.

Green Bay's biggest need is safety help.

Should tell ya something Wink

...That Rodgers is going to get another contract soon. That's what it says.

Well, the safety situation has absolutely nothing to do with that fact. Rodgers being the best player in the NFL and making half of what the top QBs does.

I understand what you're alluding to, but Woodson had only one more year while Rodgers has 2, so essentially GB could have kept Woody and gotten his $10million off the books in time to extend Rodgers a full year before his contract runs out too.

Woodson just isn't that good anymore. He's an in the box safety that's a liability covering the slot.

I suspect we'll use this money on CM3 before we think about extending Rodgers right now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Who was the one claiming Woodson would be a big boost to the packers d when he came back from injury?

I suppose a lot of us were hoping he could still be the player he once was. But alas he isn't. He is one of our favorite Packers and it sucks to see him go but it was time. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:

A few of us, I'm sure?

Not like that was a big reach. Had no faith in the guy in coverage but definitely wanted him around the LOS.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Why do people fantasize about every vet going to the Pats?

Sure is crazy to think the Pats who need major help in their secondary would consider one of the better secondary players of the past decade

To both you and the other Pats fan who responded on p3...

I don't have a problem with it and I don't really have an issue with Pats fans saying this. It's actually everyone else I'm talking about. Maybe I'm just thinking this bc of Ed Reed discussion, but I feel like every writer loves to talk about how he's guarenteed to go to the Pats. Literally the discussion before consideration of whether he stays in Bmore a lot of the time. Extends to other vets that may be released.

Not directed at you guys really.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: