Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greatest Ravens #5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

#5 Greatest Raven of All Time?
Peter Boulware
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Joe Flacco
31%
 31%  [ 12 ]
Haloti Ngata
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Jamal Lewis
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Ray Rice
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Todd Heap
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Matt Stover
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Derrick Mason
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Chris McAlister
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Jermaine Lewis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Greatest Ravens #5 Reply with quote

So, the list as it currently stands:
1. Ray
2a. JO
2b. Reed

4. Suggs

I have included the top 10 guys that I imagine could be argued for in the poll, but if for any number 'Other' receives a significant portion of the vote, then I will start a new poll including the 'other' answer(s) as well as a few of the top vote-getters.

Note: Let's keep this to their Ravens contributions. So, a guy like Rod Woodson would be considered for the years he played in Bmore, not Pitt or Oak.

Peter Boulware
Statistics
126 GP / 102 GS, 295 Tackles, 1 INT/ 6 yards/ 0 TD, 70 Sacks, 14 FF/ 5 FR/ O TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 0 Tackles (I think this must be a fluke), 3 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
1x Second-team All-Pro
1997 Defensive Rookie of the Year

Joe Flacco
Statistics
80 GP / 80 GS, 60.5% comp/ 17,633 yards/ 102 TD/ 56 INT/ 86.3 QBR, 201 rush/ 430 yards/ 7 TD
Post-season Statistics
13 GP, 55.5% comp/ 2,672 yards/ 19 TD/ 8 INT/ 86.2 QBR, 42 rush/ 79 yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2012 Superbowl MVP
2008 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year

Haloti Ngata
Statistics
109 GP / 106 GS, 242 tackles, 3 INT/ 68 yards/ 0 TD, 22 Sacks. 4 FF/ 5 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
13 GP, 29 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
2x First-Team All-pro
2x Second-Team All-pro

Jamal Lewis
Statistics
91 GP / 88 GS, 1,822 rushes/ 7,801 yards/ 4.3 YPC/ 45 TD, 160 Receptions/ 1,365 yards/ 2 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 130 Rushes/ 426 Yards/ 3.3 YPC/ 4 TD, 6 Receptions/ 32 Yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
1x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
2003 Offensive Player of the Year
Holds the #3 most prolific rushing season of all-time (2003)
Second-Team All-Decade Team (2000's)

Ray Rice
Statistics
77 GP / 65 GS, 1,216 rushes/ 5,520 yards/ 4.5 ypc/ 33 TD, 311 Receptions/ 2,713 yards/ 6 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 191 rushes/ 750 yards/ 3.9 ypc/ 5 TD, 37 Receptions/ 296 yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
2x Second-Team All-Pro

Todd Heap
Statistics
133 GP / 128 GS, 467 receptions/ 5,492 yards/ 11.8 ypc/ 41 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 32 receptions/ 385 yards/ 12 ypc/ 2 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Matt Stover
Statistics
207 GP, 418 FGA/ 354 FGM/ 85.7% FG %, 403 XPA/ 402 XPM/ 99.8% XP %, 1,464 points
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 19 FGA/ 16 FGM/ 84.3% FG %, 70 points
Accolades/Leaderboards
1x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Derrick Mason
Statistics
96 GP / 94 GS, 471 Receptions/ 5,777 yards/ 12.3 ypc/ 29 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 19 Receptions/ 278 yards/ 14.6 ypc/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards

Chris McAlister
Statistics
135 GP / 127 GS, 382 Tackles, 26 INT/ 486 yards/ 5 TD, 0 Sacks, 1 FF/ 7 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
8 GP, 3 INT/ 22 yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Jermaine Lewis
Statistics
88 GP / 30 GS, 136 Receptions/ 1,984 Yards/ 14.9 YPC/ 16 TD, 231 PR/ 2,730 Yards/ 6 TD, 139 KR/ 3,153 Yards/ 0 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 5 Receptions/ 42 Yards/ 8.4 YPC/ 0 TD, 16 PR/ 224 Yards/ 1 TD, 11 KR/ 293 Yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Last edited by sp6488 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Flacco. I'd also add that Flacco won the NFL ROTY... and that has to count for something.

This franchise has had some of the most talented defenses of all time. But it took drafting Flacco before we were able to consistently make waves. Steve McNair had IMO the best Ravens defense of all time in that 06' squad... and yet he couldn't do enough to get us past that Colts squad... he couldn't make the plays. And even in his decline he was a quality QB option. He just wasn't quality enough. With Flacco however, no matter his receiving core he always had an arm that could beat good coverage. And since his 3rd year in the league he's been absolutely stellar in the postseason... protecting the ball to not give the opposing team chances and making clutch plays. And his regular season numbers have always been above average to good.

Flacco is inconsistent, but their's no question that his contributions to this team during his tenure have been more important than the guys that he's above on my personal list. No other player below him has also transformed the culture of a unit like Flacco has helped to do with our offense. I think that culture change started with Derrick Mason (and he's high on my list), but Flacco is where the buck stops. His arm, unflappable nature, and personality has given this offense a level of confidence that it's never had before in our franchise' existence before him. That confidence has turned us from playoff caliber team in most years, to a Championship caliber team. It's no question that his overall impact makes him higher on this list than player who comparable to their positions may be far superior to what Flacco is to his (at this point).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Joe Flacco. I'd also add that Flacco won the NFL ROTY... and that has to count for something.

This franchise has had some of the most talented defenses of all time. But it took drafting Flacco before we were able to consistently make waves. Steve McNair had IMO the best Ravens defense of all time in that 06' squad... and yet he couldn't do enough to get us past that Colts squad... he couldn't make the plays. And even in his decline he was a quality QB option. He just wasn't quality enough. With Flacco however, no matter his receiving core he always had an arm that could beat good coverage. And since his 3rd year in the league he's been absolutely stellar in the postseason... protecting the ball to not give the opposing team chances and making clutch plays. And his regular season numbers have always been above average to good.

Flacco is inconsistent, but their's no question that his contributions to this team during his tenure have been more important than the guys that he's above on my personal list. No other player below him has also transformed the culture of a unit like Flacco has helped to do with our offense. I think that culture change started with Derrick Mason (and he's high on my list), but Flacco is where the buck stops. His arm, unflappable nature, and personality has given this offense a level of confidence that it's never had before in our franchise' existence before him. That confidence has turned us from playoff caliber team in most years, to a Championship caliber team. It's no question that his overall impact makes him higher on this list than player who comparable to their positions may be far superior to what Flacco is to his (at this point).

Pretty sure that was the Pepsi Rookie of the Year, not the normal official one.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said in the last thread that my choice was between Boulware and Suggs, but now I see a good argument for Flacco in this spot as well.

Boulware's overall career relative to his peers probably still outweighs Flacco, but at the same time, even with his own Super Bowl ring, it's inarguable that Flacco had a greater impact on his championship run than Boulware did with the 2000 team.

A Super Bowl MVP, most road playoff wins in NFL history, and the stability he brought to this franchise eeks out a win over Boulware's really outstanding career.

Also, I think Michael McCrary deserves to be on the poll if Heap and Jermaine Lewis are. He was on the team for as many years as Mason (who is also on the poll) was, and was part of the brigade that elevated this team from the bottom-feeder we were when we first started out in Baltimore to the contender and world-class franchise it became.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boulware. I'm still meh on Flacco TBH, I need see consistency in the regular season for me to jump on the "all time franchise great bandwagon."
NJ Raven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Elvis Grbac?
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I said in the last thread that my choice was between Boulware and Suggs, but now I see a good argument for Flacco in this spot as well.

Boulware's overall career relative to his peers probably still outweighs Flacco, but at the same time, even with his own Super Bowl ring, it's inarguable that Flacco had a greater impact on his championship run than Boulware did with the 2000 team.

A Super Bowl MVP, most road playoff wins in NFL history, and the stability he brought to this franchise eeks out a win over Boulware's really outstanding career.

Also, I think Michael McCrary deserves to be on the poll if Heap and Jermaine Lewis are. He was on the team for as many years as Mason (who is also on the poll) was, and was part of the brigade that elevated this team from the bottom-feeder we were when we first started out in Baltimore to the contender and world-class franchise it became.

Noted. Part of the reason there's an 'Other' option because I knew I'd forget some big time contributors. He'll probably work his way into the list in the next iteration or two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Yeah, it was done by online fan voting from nfl.com... the other one is the AP ROTY- which Matt Ryan won. But I'm just saying, the NFL Diet Pepsi ROTY has to count for something. Ryan had the media, Flacco had the fans. So I say that has to count for something. It's still an accomplishment for his stellar impact as a rookie. Was simply pointing that out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Yeah, it was done by online fan voting from nfl.com... the other one is the AP ROTY- which Matt Ryan won. But I'm just saying, the NFL Diet Pepsi ROTY has to count for something. Ryan had the media, Flacco had the fans. So I say that has to count for something. It's still an accomplishment for his stellar impact as a rookie. Was simply pointing that out.

Gotcha. I'll put it in there. He does deserve credit for that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with Stover on this one. No doubt in my mind Joe will eventually surpass him, but for now I have to put Stover ahead. He gave us consistency at that position for so long and until recently we took that for granted. Look what has happened to us since he retired between Hauschka and Cundiff. Sure you could argue the opposite, like look at what we had before Flacco, but he just hasn't quite played long enough for me to pick him here. We had stability and a guy we could really count on at a very important position in Stover. Until Joe does it for another couple years I have to give this one to Stover.

GO RAVENS!!
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ngata has been our best player pretty much since he was drafted.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All due respect to Stover I would put ahead of him

Joe Flacco
Jamal Lewis
Ray Rice
Todd Heap
Shannon Sharpe
Anquan Boldin
Derrick Mason
Haloti Ngata
Michael McCrary
Chris McAllister
Peter Boulware
Jermaine Lewis
Adalius Thomas

Among others

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Flacco. Putting the team on his back and leading them to a championship is good enough for #5, with the potential to climb higher with more consistency.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing this wrong. Yes, Flacco just played all-world on this super bowl run, but he needs A LOT more consistent top level play to be ranked this high on the list. He's played at a top-5 level for his position for a span of maybe 2 months. There are a few consistently elite players on this list.

We're basing this on their total contributions so far right? If they retired right now do you guys really think Flacco would get closer to hall of fame consideration than guys like: Ngata, Boulware, Jamal Lewis...

A super bowl run is big, and for me is the be all end all for evaluating teams but not for the overall success of an individual player.

Hopefully, Flacco does earn this ranking in the years to come.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for Chris.

After that it goes (in descending order):

Flacco
Ogden
Reed
Lewis

Stover would be 6th or 7th. Ngata and Stover are a toss up for me.

Last edited by kmvoss on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: