Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OLB in 1st???
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there a benefit of drafting an OLB in 1st, if so explain.
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
4 people have voted no, yet I havent heard anyone explain at all how there is no benefit to drafting an OLB in the first, and a ton of explanations as to why there is.


Im assuming it's not the actual position but they took the question as this draft, which doesn't have many 3-4 OLB's in the mid-1st round. In general though, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many who'd say no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
4 people have voted no, yet I havent heard anyone explain at all how there is no benefit to drafting an OLB in the first, and a ton of explanations as to why there is.


Im assuming it's not the actual position but they took the question as this draft, which doesn't have many 3-4 OLB's in the mid-1st round. In general though, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many who'd say no.


Well, the question IS...

Is there a benefit of drafting an OLB in 1st?

If the question was "are there any OLBs worth spending a first round pick on" , Id get it.

But its asking is there any benefit to it, and from the people who said no, I want to hear why.

People complained last year about our inability to create spalsh plays. Lack of a pass rush was the main reason, and as it stands, there is no reason to think it will be much better this year. Even if Harrison is still here, he is circling the drain. He doesnt have the same explosion off the line as he used to, which is what made him dangerous.

As for people saying we should wait to see how Worlids, Carter and Robinson develop....you dont hang your hat on players that have shown little to nothing. James Harrison showed he was capable many times but didnt follow directions. Woodley was awesome the second half of his rookie year behind Clark Haggans. Thats why we were okay going from Porter/Haggans to Harrison/Woodley.

The only thing Worlids and Carter have proven is that they cant get off blocks and are slow to react. Robinson hasnt proven anything at all really other than that he is someone we can work with. Doesnt mean he will turn into anything, though.

Is there going to be an OLB worth taking in round 1? Maybe...maybe not....but saying there is no benefit to taking one in the first is beyond ridiculous, especially when there is no valid reasoning to back it up.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a generic question, then you can base it off who we have right now. It means in general, then. People can take this question too many different ways.

1.) Based off who we have, should we take an OLB in the 1st?

2.) Based on the players in this upcoming draft, should we take an OLB in the 1st?

3rd.) In general, is it viable take an OLB in the 1st?


It's just too generic to put too much stock and analyze the results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
If it's a generic question, then you can base it off who we have right now. It means in general, then. People can take this question too many different ways.

1.) Based off who we have, should we take an OLB in the 1st?

2.) Based on the players in this upcoming draft, should we take an OLB in the 1st?

3rd.) In general, is it viable take an OLB in the 1st?


It's just too generic to put too much stock and analyze the results.


The question, plain as day, is merely "is there any benefit to taking OLB in the first round?"

If people are taking that to mean other things, then they either arent answering the question that was asked or reading deep into it.

As for your "questions within the question". the only one that cant really be analyzed much is the 2nd one, because we dont know how the draft will fall and who will be available to us.

1 and 3 can be analyzed, and have been....and thats where I want to hear an explanation. Because thus far, people who have voted yes have provided detailed and logical reasoning, yet nothing to really dispute them....despite 4 votes for no.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had Ware and Woodley, no there wouldn't be a benefit of drafting an OLB!! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1186
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
4 people have voted no, yet I havent heard anyone explain at all how there is no benefit to drafting an OLB in the first, and a ton of explanations as to why there is.


FourThreeMafia:

I will do my best to explain as I voted no, and this is why:

1. I don't think the questioned was posed in the best way. It would be hard to explain no benefit to drafting any position. Any talent at any position will help improve your football team.

2. That said, I took the question as: Is OLB a first round need or is there talent to justify taking OLB in round 1?

3. The question was further even clouded when IMissEricGreene did not select a LB in his mock. Some may have interpreted that as LB is not a need. Maybe that is what he meant.

I agree that we need OLB talent, but I don't think that where the Steelers are drafting (#17) that OLB is the best value for a first round pick. I see more talent and value at ILB with Manti Teo', Alec Olgeltree, Kevin Minter and Arthur Brown being more values at #17. I prefer Teo' and Minter as far as what will benefit the Steelers better at ILB need and value.

As far as OLB:

I like Jarvis Jones, but I don't see him lasting to #17.
I am not a huge Dion Jordan fan.
Ezekial Ansah is a feast or famine prospect in my opinion.
I like Alex Okafor, but not at #17.

I think that there are other talented players, positional needs and draft value for the Steelers in round one. The good thing about OLB is there is depth that can be gotten rounds 2 - 4 like WR for example.
_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan


Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25126
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is we better draft someone who will look good in a sig because mine is going to need replaced very soon!!!
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
4 people have voted no, yet I havent heard anyone explain at all how there is no benefit to drafting an OLB in the first, and a ton of explanations as to why there is.


FourThreeMafia:

I will do my best to explain as I voted no, and this is why:

1. I don't think the questioned was posed in the best way. It would be hard to explain no benefit to drafting any position. Any talent at any position will help improve your football team.

2. That said, I took the question as: Is OLB a first round need or is there talent to justify taking OLB in round 1?

3. The question was further even clouded when IMissEricGreene did not select a LB in his mock. Some may have interpreted that as LB is not a need. Maybe that is what he meant.

I agree that we need OLB talent, but I don't think that where the Steelers are drafting (#17) that OLB is the best value for a first round pick. I see more talent and value at ILB with Manti Teo', Alec Olgeltree, Kevin Minter and Arthur Brown being more values at #17. I prefer Teo' and Minter as far as what will benefit the Steelers better at ILB need and value.

As far as OLB:

I like Jarvis Jones, but I don't see him lasting to #17.
I am not a huge Dion Jordan fan.
Ezekial Ansah is a feast or famine prospect in my opinion.
I like Alex Okafor, but not at #17.


I think that there are other talented players, positional needs and draft value for the Steelers in round one. The good thing about OLB is there is depth that can be gotten rounds 2 - 4 like WR for example.


1: Agreed.

2: Fair enough, but I took it at face value.

3: All of ImissEricGreene's posts are cryptic and often nonsensical, so I understand that...but again, I think people are reading into the question too much.

If its a question of will the value be there, I agree...thats very questionable.

But looking beyond the player value and who might be on the board when we pick, Im just looking at it this way...

IN GENERAL...is OLB a first round need? IMO yes, and while I respect if others feel differently, I need to hear an explanation when they say that because between Harrison's uncertain future and the completely unproven riff raff we have at OLB right now, I dont see how anyone can say it isnt.

I COMPLETELY agree with everything you said at the end (bolded).

Im not saying OLB has to be a first round pick, or even 2nd or 3rd round. Just that if the talent was there, it makes all the sense in the world to take an OLB in the first round.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollins


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RDELA62


Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Location: Scottsdale
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Definitely as long as the OLB is a pass rush threat. Prefer an OLB with speed and length. Lots of good ones in this years draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.


They did the same thing with Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Doesnt mean they like them...they are just extra depth. Harrison was unhealthy all year and Worlids sucks.

Im not saying they dont like him, but its a huge stretch to say they like him ALOT, consdiering he hardly ever saw the field.

And, maybe Im alone, but I never expected Timmons or Woodley to start year one. In fact, I even stated I thought Timmons was brought in to be our future ILB. I never saw Timmons playing OLB long term for us.

When they released Porter, I expected our starter to be Harrison or a FA. When we didnt sign a FA, I thought Harrison would start.

People say we should give Worlids and Robinson a chance because Woodley and Harrison didnt show much before they took over as starter. HOWEVER, they did show SOMETHING. Woodley was clearly ready at the end of his rookie year, and LeBeau said that Harrison ALWAYS had the ability, just took awhile to get his head on straight.

Maybe they do like Robinson, but if they pass on OLB (if we are in position to get a good one, that is) for him and Worlids, they are just as stupid as they were when they handed the left tackle job to Jon Scott uncontested.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollins


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.


They did the same thing with Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Doesnt mean they like them...they are just extra depth. Harrison was unhealthy all year and Worlids sucks.

Im not saying they dont like him, but its a huge stretch to say they like him ALOT, consdiering he hardly ever saw the field.

And, maybe Im alone, but I never expected Timmons or Woodley to start year one. In fact, I even stated I thought Timmons was brought in to be our future ILB. I never saw Timmons playing OLB long term for us.

When they released Porter, I expected our starter to be Harrison or a FA. When we didnt sign a FA, I thought Harrison would start.

People say we should give Worlids and Robinson a chance because Woodley and Harrison didnt show much before they took over as starter. HOWEVER, they did show SOMETHING. Woodley was clearly ready at the end of his rookie year, and LeBeau said that Harrison ALWAYS had the ability, just took awhile to get his head on straight.

Maybe they do like Robinson, but if they pass on OLB (if we are in position to get a good one, that is) for him and Worlids, they are just as stupid as they were when they handed the left tackle job to Jon Scott uncontested.


But ur contradicting yourself. Your saying that Harrison was showing he was ready in practice and thats why they were comfortable starting him the following year. Then how can you say that they are stupid to expect Robinson to do the same? Do you know what he is doing in practice?

My pont is, I trust our team for the most part in their decision making process. We make as many good decisions as any team which is why we are contenders year after year. So if we pass on a good OLB prospect in the draft then they must like what they see from one of our young LBs. Same as they did when they gave Debo a chance which u feel he earned in practice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.


They did the same thing with Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Doesnt mean they like them...they are just extra depth. Harrison was unhealthy all year and Worlids sucks.

Im not saying they dont like him, but its a huge stretch to say they like him ALOT, consdiering he hardly ever saw the field.

And, maybe Im alone, but I never expected Timmons or Woodley to start year one. In fact, I even stated I thought Timmons was brought in to be our future ILB. I never saw Timmons playing OLB long term for us.

When they released Porter, I expected our starter to be Harrison or a FA. When we didnt sign a FA, I thought Harrison would start.

People say we should give Worlids and Robinson a chance because Woodley and Harrison didnt show much before they took over as starter. HOWEVER, they did show SOMETHING. Woodley was clearly ready at the end of his rookie year, and LeBeau said that Harrison ALWAYS had the ability, just took awhile to get his head on straight.

Maybe they do like Robinson, but if they pass on OLB (if we are in position to get a good one, that is) for him and Worlids, they are just as stupid as they were when they handed the left tackle job to Jon Scott uncontested.


But ur contradicting yourself. Your saying that Harrison was showing he was ready in practice and thats why they were comfortable starting him the following year. Then how can you say that they are stupid to expect Robinson to do the same? Do you know what he is doing in practice?

My pont is, I trust our team for the most part in their decision making process. We make as many good decisions as any team which is why we are contenders year after year. So if we pass on a good OLB prospect in the draft then they must like what they see from one of our young LBs. Same as they did when they gave Debo a chance which u feel he earned in practice.


No, Im not contradicting myself at all.

First off, Harrison had shown he could play in actual games. He was a great special teamer before he started and in when he got into games, showed he could get after the QB.

Secondly, LeBeau and Cowher both loved Harrison. It just took awhile for the light to click on.

Im not arguing we should cut Robinson. Im arguing that there is absolutely nothing pointing to him being ready to start or that we should assume he is Harrison's long term replacement. The notion is as laughable as when some Steeler fans claimed Tony Hills should get a chance to start, simply because they kept him around for so long and because he looked decent in one preseason game.

Do I know what Robinson looked like in practice? No, but neither do you.

Difference is, Im talking about what we DO know, and youre talking in hypotheticals.

And even if he does look good in practice, so what? Ricardo Coughlough, Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, Arnild Harrison, Baron Batch....these are just a few players who were pimped for how good they looked in PRACTICE. How'd that work out?

To quote Allen Iverson....we talkin bout PRACTICE.

Bottom line....my point is simple: Even if Robinson does have potential, he hasnt shown nearly enough on the field. Harrison was a special teams guru, looked good rushing the passer when asked to do so, and the coaching staff had years to evaluate him. Robinson's situation is not comparable...even a little.

This team does make good decisions. It also makes laughably bad ones, and has made more bad ones over the last few years than good ones, which is why this team is declining, in cap hell, and on the brink of losing most of its starting defensive players with no real replacements for most of them.

Am I saying I know better? Absolutely not, but some of the moronic decisions they have made were ones that even the most casual Steeler fans knew was dumb (Handing Jon Scott the LT job, giving Willie Colon a long term deal after a serious injury, drafting players and either not playing them or using them poorly, etc...)
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollins


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.


They did the same thing with Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Doesnt mean they like them...they are just extra depth. Harrison was unhealthy all year and Worlids sucks.

Im not saying they dont like him, but its a huge stretch to say they like him ALOT, consdiering he hardly ever saw the field.

And, maybe Im alone, but I never expected Timmons or Woodley to start year one. In fact, I even stated I thought Timmons was brought in to be our future ILB. I never saw Timmons playing OLB long term for us.

When they released Porter, I expected our starter to be Harrison or a FA. When we didnt sign a FA, I thought Harrison would start.

People say we should give Worlids and Robinson a chance because Woodley and Harrison didnt show much before they took over as starter. HOWEVER, they did show SOMETHING. Woodley was clearly ready at the end of his rookie year, and LeBeau said that Harrison ALWAYS had the ability, just took awhile to get his head on straight.

Maybe they do like Robinson, but if they pass on OLB (if we are in position to get a good one, that is) for him and Worlids, they are just as stupid as they were when they handed the left tackle job to Jon Scott uncontested.


But ur contradicting yourself. Your saying that Harrison was showing he was ready in practice and thats why they were comfortable starting him the following year. Then how can you say that they are stupid to expect Robinson to do the same? Do you know what he is doing in practice?

My pont is, I trust our team for the most part in their decision making process. We make as many good decisions as any team which is why we are contenders year after year. So if we pass on a good OLB prospect in the draft then they must like what they see from one of our young LBs. Same as they did when they gave Debo a chance which u feel he earned in practice.


No, Im not contradicting myself at all.

First off, Harrison had shown he could play in actual games. He was a great special teamer before he started and in when he got into games, showed he could get after the QB.

Secondly, LeBeau and Cowher both loved Harrison. It just took awhile for the light to click on.

Im not arguing we should cut Robinson. Im arguing that there is absolutely nothing pointing to him being ready to start or that we should assume he is Harrison's long term replacement. The notion is as laughable as when some Steeler fans claimed Tony Hills should get a chance to start, simply because they kept him around for so long and because he looked decent in one preseason game.

Do I know what Robinson looked like in practice? No, but neither do you.

Difference is, Im talking about what we DO know, and youre talking in hypotheticals.

And even if he does look good in practice, so what? Ricardo Coughlough, Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, Arnild Harrison, Baron Batch....these are just a few players who were pimped for how good they looked in PRACTICE. How'd that work out?

To quote Allen Iverson....we talkin bout PRACTICE.

Bottom line....my point is simple: Even if Robinson does have potential, he hasnt shown nearly enough on the field. Harrison was a special teams guru, looked good rushing the passer when asked to do so, and the coaching staff had years to evaluate him. Robinson's situation is not comparable...even a little.

This team does make good decisions. It also makes laughably bad ones, and has made more bad ones over the last few years than good ones, which is why this team is declining, in cap hell, and on the brink of losing most of its starting defensive players with no real replacements for most of them.

Am I saying I know better? Absolutely not, but some of the moronic decisions they have made were ones that even the most casual Steeler fans knew was dumb (Handing Jon Scott the LT job, giving Willie Colon a long term deal after a serious injury, drafting players and either not playing them or using them poorly, etc...)


Once again you failed to get the main point of my post. I said " None of us know what we have in Robinson, but the coaches who see him progressing everyday do know. So IF THEY DECIDE TO PASS ON A QUALITY OLB IN THE DRAFT, then they probably believe in Adrian Robinson. And I for one believe in their decision making skills especially on D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollins


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.


First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.


Truthfully none of us really know what we have in Adrian Robinson, but the coaches know. We will know when the draft comes. If we don't take an OLB in the first 2 rounds, than they are comfortable with our depth. Think about it everyone and their mother thought LT was coming in to replace Porter in 07, but the truth was, he coaches had Debo in the stash and he had only started one irrelevant game in week 17 against the Bills. I personally have a feelin the coaching staff really likes what we have in Robinson due to the fact that they kept him on the roster with 4 other OLBs when he was not contributing and we had other positions that were very thin and needed bodies. He also flashed all training camp and pre season. Lastly he fits the mold of what the Steelers like in OLBs, short thick build, quick twitch athletes. I think he is the future, but its just a hunch.


They did the same thing with Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier.

Doesnt mean they like them...they are just extra depth. Harrison was unhealthy all year and Worlids sucks.

Im not saying they dont like him, but its a huge stretch to say they like him ALOT, consdiering he hardly ever saw the field.

And, maybe Im alone, but I never expected Timmons or Woodley to start year one. In fact, I even stated I thought Timmons was brought in to be our future ILB. I never saw Timmons playing OLB long term for us.

When they released Porter, I expected our starter to be Harrison or a FA. When we didnt sign a FA, I thought Harrison would start.

People say we should give Worlids and Robinson a chance because Woodley and Harrison didnt show much before they took over as starter. HOWEVER, they did show SOMETHING. Woodley was clearly ready at the end of his rookie year, and LeBeau said that Harrison ALWAYS had the ability, just took awhile to get his head on straight.

Maybe they do like Robinson, but if they pass on OLB (if we are in position to get a good one, that is) for him and Worlids, they are just as stupid as they were when they handed the left tackle job to Jon Scott uncontested.


But ur contradicting yourself. Your saying that Harrison was showing he was ready in practice and thats why they were comfortable starting him the following year. Then how can you say that they are stupid to expect Robinson to do the same? Do you know what he is doing in practice?

My pont is, I trust our team for the most part in their decision making process. We make as many good decisions as any team which is why we are contenders year after year. So if we pass on a good OLB prospect in the draft then they must like what they see from one of our young LBs. Same as they did when they gave Debo a chance which u feel he earned in practice.


No, Im not contradicting myself at all.

First off, Harrison had shown he could play in actual games. He was a great special teamer before he started and in when he got into games, showed he could get after the QB.

Secondly, LeBeau and Cowher both loved Harrison. It just took awhile for the light to click on.

Im not arguing we should cut Robinson. Im arguing that there is absolutely nothing pointing to him being ready to start or that we should assume he is Harrison's long term replacement. The notion is as laughable as when some Steeler fans claimed Tony Hills should get a chance to start, simply because they kept him around for so long and because he looked decent in one preseason game.

Do I know what Robinson looked like in practice? No, but neither do you.

Difference is, Im talking about what we DO know, and youre talking in hypotheticals.

And even if he does look good in practice, so what? Ricardo Coughlough, Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, Arnild Harrison, Baron Batch....these are just a few players who were pimped for how good they looked in PRACTICE. How'd that work out?

To quote Allen Iverson....we talkin bout PRACTICE.

Bottom line....my point is simple: Even if Robinson does have potential, he hasnt shown nearly enough on the field. Harrison was a special teams guru, looked good rushing the passer when asked to do so, and the coaching staff had years to evaluate him. Robinson's situation is not comparable...even a little.

This team does make good decisions. It also makes laughably bad ones, and has made more bad ones over the last few years than good ones, which is why this team is declining, in cap hell, and on the brink of losing most of its starting defensive players with no real replacements for most of them.

Am I saying I know better? Absolutely not, but some of the moronic decisions they have made were ones that even the most casual Steeler fans knew was dumb (Handing Jon Scott the LT job, giving Willie Colon a long term deal after a serious injury, drafting players and either not playing them or using them poorly, etc...)


Once again you failed to get the main point of my post. I said " None of us know what we have in Robinson, but the coaches who see him progressing everyday do know. So IF THEY DECIDE TO PASS ON A QUALITY OLB IN THE DRAFT, then they probably believe in Adrian Robinson. And I for one believe in their decision making skills especially on D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group