Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OLB in 1st???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there a benefit of drafting an OLB in 1st, if so explain.
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

With Jason Worilds and 2 other talented OLBs who are former DPOY in their conference, I dont see the benefit of drafting an OLB in the 1st.

1. Lane Johnson OT 6'6 303 Oklahoma
2. Eddie Lacy RB 5'10 220 Alabama
3. David Amerson FS/SS 6'2 194 North Carolina State
4. William Gholston DE 6'6 280 Michigan State
5. T.J. Johnson C/OG 6'5 318 South Carolina
6. Denard Robinson WR 5'11 195 Michigan
7. Mark Jackson OG/OT 6'5 332 Glenville State
7. Tyran Mathieu CB 5'9 180 LSU
Dook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the team cuts OLB Harrison, then what?

We would have to start Worilds who will give us maybe 5 sacks a year, and only then if he is completely unblocked, and RB's will be able to run around his side at will.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious?

Harrison is 35...Woodley looked like he weighed 280+ and disappeared for the whole year.

Worilds has yet to get a sack against an NFL OT in 3 NFL seasons.

OLBs have to get pressure in this system...sacks were the lowest in the past 10 years IIRC.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course there is. But who? I have yet to see an OLB prospect that I'm impressed enough with, outside of Moore and Werner, that I would feel we are getting the BPA as opposed to drafting for need. Jordan, Mingo, Ansah, Okafor, Mongomery, all have some major flaws in their game. I think Brandon Jenkins is just as good as those guys, and we could probably get him in the 2nd round, maybe even the 3rd(doubt it though).

Go Noles!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
With Jason Worilds and 2 other talented OLBs who are former DPOY in their conference, I dont see the benefit of drafting an OLB in the 1st.

"With Jason Worilds" - irrelevant. He's a backup who will play only when injuries or age take the real starters away

"and 2 other talented OLBs who are former DPOY in their conference" - irrelevant. They don't play for us, what interest is it for us?

"don't see the benefit of drafting an OLB in the 1st" - well, here are the top 5 in sacks among LBs last season:

Aldon Smith
Von Miller
Clay Matthews
DeMarcus Ware
Anthony Spencer

all 1st rounders

that said, only Damontre Moore, Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner and possibly someday (in somebody else's scheme) Ziggy Ansah have "top 5 in sacks" potential

love your first 2, dislike everyone else other than TJ Johnson and Mark Jackson. Id' honestly kick the tires on Mathieau if he's available that late
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont understand why OLB is a first round type need and why it would benefit us, there is no point explaining it to you.

The mere fact that you believe we are okay with a crappy Jason Worlids and a rapidly declining James Harrison who may not even be here next season says enough.

Am I saying OLB has to be the first round pick? No, but if we are in position to get a good one in the first, there is a world of benefits to it.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm simply not convinced any of our 'young' LB's are going to pan out. It wouldn't be hard for me to convince myself to draft an OLB, especially if Jones was on the board. But at the same time, Jarvis Jones is one of those people that I hope is NOT on the board when we pick.

He is definitely one of those guys who have a lot of hype and could easily turn into a complete bust. If he does...I'd rather him not do it on our team. I'd rather get a "sure thing" like Jesse Williams, Justin Hunter, or Chance Warmack; Yes I know they're not sure things but my point is I'd rather go with something that has a more secure expectation of success.
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a OLB in 1st is something that I see happening if the right players fall to the right spots and one worth taking is there at 17. With a couple more teams moving to the 3-4 (granted some are moving away from the 3-4), the rounds in which you would take a player might increase, simply out of need and not talent.

I also think that with us moving to a zone-blocking scheme it really should help with the style of offense that Haley is wanting to run. I have faith that Brown, Sanders, and C can do wonders in this system. I'm just fearful of Heath Miller. The tight end needs to be addressed, with AT LEAST a 5th rounder, but a vet FA would be the better bet.

In your mock if we do take a OT in the 1st I believe that we are wasting the 2nd round pick we already spent on a OT in Gilbert. If anything I would much rather have a OG in the 1st.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:

I don't see a scenario in which he even lasts to 17; I have a strong feeling someone is going to trade up to grab him. In this pick are you predicting he plays Guard or Gilbert/Adams move to Guard? I'm not; if we're going OL and have our choice, I'm going Warmack.

Quote:

I get that there are a ton of people that seem to love him, I won't be heart broken if we draft him..I just am not sold on him.

Quote:

No thanks, I have a strong feeling this kid is going to get torched, often. His biggest weakness is his elite speed, especially when matching up with fast WR's, played CB/S. Even if he is a safety..I just don't want even more lack of speed in our secondary.

Quote:

I question is work ethic, is personal drive, and his talent.. I'd rather see us go elsewhere in the 4th round.

Quote:

I don't necessarily have an issue with this pick although I could also see him dropping into the 6th or 7th round.

Quote:

No thank you, I doubt he makes it to the 6th round and I'm just not a fan of him.

Quote:

It's possible he's not even drafted, but as a 7th round pick, I don't have an issue with it.

Quote:

I don't like Mathieu..the character issues are a turn off for me. I also don't see any possibility of him lasting until the 7th round.
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:

"With Jason Worilds" - irrelevant. He's a backup who will play only when injuries or age take the real starters away

"and 2 other talented OLBs who are former DPOY in their conference" - irrelevant. They don't play for us, what interest is it for us?

"don't see the benefit of drafting an OLB in the 1st" - well, here are the top 5 in sacks among LBs last season:

Aldon Smith
Von Miller
Clay Matthews
DeMarcus Ware
Anthony Spencer

all 1st rounders

that said, only Damontre Moore, Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner and possibly someday (in somebody else's scheme) Ziggy Ansah have "top 5 in sacks" potential

love your first 2, dislike everyone else other than TJ Johnson and Mark Jackson. Id' honestly kick the tires on Mathieau if he's available that late
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.
ShooterMcGavin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's someone like Jarvis Jones (highly unlikely obviously), I'd rather focus elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a need to bring in additional talent at OLB, but it does not have to be in round 1. You don't go into a draft and say that we need an OLB and we are going to draft on in the first round. The last time the Steelers did that they passed on Jevon Kearse for Troy Edwards because "we needed a WR in the first."

Worilds has been a disappointment in terms of production and Carter has shown a few flashes, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. I don think that both players will be given an opportunity and I believe that they will be alright. LeBeaus defense is complicated and it takes some players longer to grasp than others; Keenen Lewis for example.

I think Woodley and Harrison can bounce back andWorilds and Carter willmake a larger impact if either goes down or Harrison is cut. I will also add that although Woodley and Harrison's sack totals were down and they were not as effective as years past, they also dropped back in coverage an awful lot. I didn't like this because that is not their strong suit. On 3rd and 7, let them attack the QB, not try to cover the TE or RB in the flat. You hit any QB enough, you will force mistakes.

Joe Flacco was near perfect in the play-offs because he didn't get hit very often. His confidence went up and he felt comfortable enough to throw some laser shots with his cannon arm. He threw 11 or 12 td's and 0 int's.

No disrespect to the world champs, but Hit Flacco early and often and he looks like any ordinary Joe. That goes for Brady, Peyton, Eli, Drew or Aaron "Discount Doublecheck" Rogers. QB's don't like to be hit! No QB likes to get hit!" Kurt Warner said it best. Keep pressure on the QB and he will make mistakes and our lack of turnovers problems will be over.

Quality depth is the key to any teams success. The Steelers missed the play-offs because of injuries and the lack of quality players to step up. Some people won't be back next year and those who will need to step up. Worilds and Carter fit into the step up or step out category at this point.

As far as your mock, you took three OL's. and no LB inside or out.
You took a few players that I like: Lacy Denard and the Homey Badger, I mean Honey Badger. Very Happy If we can keep him from trying to live out the movie How High, he could be a solid cover cb.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless his name is Jarvis Jones.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: OLB in 1st??? Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
I dont see the rush to draft a 1st rd OLB, steelers historically bring them along slowly, unless there is an elite talent availible. Adrian Robinson & Chris Carter were outstanding college players, they just havent been given the opp to prove their worth. IMO, Carter would make a great ILB prospect. LT played a simliar role in college like Jarvis Jones, & Carter, why not give these guys a shot at ILB.

First off, we bring them along slowly usually because we are able to. If we lose James Harrison, we dont have that luxury, because we dont have a single starting caliber player to replace him.

Secondly...Why not see what Robinson and Carter can do? Uhh...maybe because to this point, neither if them have proved they are anywhere near starting quality.

I am all for developing players, but you dont ignore needs because they MIGHT be filled by players who havent shown the potential to do so yet. The fact that they were outstanding college players means very little. Much better college players have failed at this level.

OLB is a definite top need if we lose Harrison, and even if we dont. It doesnt have to be a first round pick, but if there is a first round OLB worth the pick, it should be strongly considered.

You want people to explain why we should pick an OLB in the first, yet you havent posted one good reason why we SHOULDNT.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 people have voted no, yet I havent heard anyone explain at all how there is no benefit to drafting an OLB in the first, and a ton of explanations as to why there is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: