Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Jarvis Jones slide?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at this real hard. I still think Jarvis Jones is probably the best player in this draft. So what if he has a short career, I would rather have a guy who can come in and produce and retire after 8 seasons then waiting around for a guy to develop. No one can argue that Jones is a pure football complete LB.

Werner has been warming up on me. Moore is good but I don't think he's great. Millner is starting to look more and more like one of the safest picks we can make but has question marks as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
If we were to trade down it would have to be for a building block type player. And you just don't build around an OLB. If we were to trade down I would need to do it with the Rams for #16 and #20. That way we could nab guys like Warmack or Williams or even Fluker. You build around your guys up front. There are more than enough linebacker types.

The bottom line is that teams can scheme away from a special OLB. You can't scheme away from a DT or a solid OL. You regularly have to deal with those guys no matter what scheme you run.

I get all of what your saying and I'd take any trade down at this point. Hell, I wouldn't mind getting completely out of the 1st and LOADING up with 2nd and 3rds as I feel like this draft is outrageously talented in those ranges. However, as has been stated in other threads it's not as easy to trade down as we'd like to imagine.

At 3 overall, I'm not ecstatic about either Moore or Werner. Star is in my opinion the best player in this draft but this draft is stupidly deep at DT. Assuming the Raider's medical staff are on board, I'd be perfectly content with Jones. I think he's the best pass rusher in the draft and is an impact player.

I'm not saying he's going to be on their level, but I've gotta think that McKenzie and Allen have seen 1st hand what a disruptive force an impact rush linebacker can do for a team in GB's Clay Mathews and Denver's Von Miller. I truly feel that if he passes our physical, we need to get used to the idea of Jones in Silver and Black
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
If we were to trade down it would have to be for a building block type player. And you just don't build around an OLB. If we were to trade down I would need to do it with the Rams for #16 and #20. That way we could nab guys like Warmack or Williams or even Fluker. You build around your guys up front. There are more than enough linebacker types.

The bottom line is that teams can scheme away from a special OLB. You can't scheme away from a DT or a solid OL. You regularly have to deal with those guys no matter what scheme you run.

I get all of what your saying and I'd take any trade down at this point. Hell, I wouldn't mind getting completely out of the 1st and LOADING up with 2nd and 3rds as I feel like this draft is outrageously talented in those ranges. However, as has been stated in other threads it's not as easy to trade down as we'd like to imagine.

At 3 overall, I'm not ecstatic about either Moore or Werner. Star is in my opinion the best player in this draft but this draft is stupidly deep at DT. Assuming the Raider's medical staff are on board, I'd be perfectly content with Jones. I think he's the best pass rusher in the draft and is an impact player.

I'm not saying he's going to be on their level, but I've gotta think that McKenzie and Allen have seen 1st hand what a disruptive force an impact rush linebacker can do for a team in GB's Clay Mathews and Denver's Von Miller. I truly feel that if he passes our physical, we need to get used to the idea of Jones in Silver and Black

Totally agree.... when you look at what a great pass rusher can bring to a defense, imo they have the ability to make more of an impact than any other position. Thats one thing the best defenses all have in common is a guy that can really get after the QB.

I'm always skeptical of the whole "shortened career" thing.... a lot of it is speculation and paranoia and leading up to the draft it always gets blown way out of proportion. Supposedly he's gonna have an 8 year career and that's a problem.... in 8 years he'd be over 30.... when players start to decline anyways. Really just kind of baffles me, i feel like the average NFL career might not be much longer than 8 years.

Also a big fan of the idea of possibly trading right out of the 1st round. Always a ton of talent in the 2nd and 3rd with a lot less risk and smaller salaries. IMO at #3 overall if we were to trade down even to 15, almost guaranteed we get at least a 2nd out of the deal if not another 1st next year... And next year we've got the possibility of guys like Clowney or Marqise Lee (who imo is basically Megatron 2.0)
RunDmc23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget Teddy Bridgewater hopefully our qb savior
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
The Drunkos weren't as needy as we are on the OL at that time either. Why would you want to draft a rush OLB without being strong up the middle? How the hell are we going to be able to improve our rush defense? Or upgrade our OL I'm order to go to the PBS?

Eric Fisher would be a great pick. Its a really safe choice for our team not so much draft value but screw that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
101Raider wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Totally agree.... when you look at what a great pass rusher can bring to a defense, imo they have the ability to make more of an impact than any other position. Thats one thing the best defenses all have in common is a guy that can really get after the QB.

I'm always skeptical of the whole "shortened career" thing.... a lot of it is speculation and paranoia and leading up to the draft it always gets blown way out of proportion. Supposedly he's gonna have an 8 year career and that's a problem.... in 8 years he'd be over 30.... when players start to decline anyways. Really just kind of baffles me, i feel like the average NFL career might not be much longer than 8 years.

Also a big fan of the idea of possibly trading right out of the 1st round. Always a ton of talent in the 2nd and 3rd with a lot less risk and smaller salaries. IMO at #3 overall if we were to trade down even to 15, almost guaranteed we get at least a 2nd out of the deal if not another 1st next year... And next year we've got the possibility of guys like Clowney or Marqise Lee (who imo is basically Megatron 2.0)

Average career is actually around 3 years if you account all of the draft picks that never pan out. But players that actually have the opportunity to get on the field ranges anywhere from 6 to 12.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfls-spin-average-career-length-2011-4

So having a player capable of not only starting 8 seasons but dominating throughout is certainly worth a first round pick.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what world is an 8 year NFL career shortened?

Marcus McNeil played 5 seasons before being forced to retire and he wasn't slamming into people.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Production doesn't lie.
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
Production doesn't lie.

That's overstating a lot, actually. Who has the most career tackles in college? What about passing yards? I can name tons of guys who were productive in college that didn't pan out. Totally disingenuous statement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
Production doesn't lie.

No, sometimes it does. McClain, Gallery..

You have to look at the entire package and measure every facet against the others. The whole picture doesn't lie. Any single view viewed alone can lie.
CaribouLou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agarcia34 wrote:
Production doesn't lie.

How's Colt Brennan doing then?

Some guys games are tailored for college play but won't make it in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101Raider wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Jones is not as big or as fast as the other guys. Plus jones played in a scheme friendly defense. They blitzed him from the left,right and middle wherever he had a favorable matchup.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Jones is allergic to iron.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
and Jones is allergic to iron.

Damn. He'll be prone to anemia then. Add another thing to the list

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're Jonathan Ogden, who also didn't have a great passion for lifting, I'd stay away from a guy who disliked the taste of iron.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: