Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Charles Woodson - Released!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do with Woodson?
Cut Him
33%
 33%  [ 17 ]
Renegotiate @ ~$5million/yr
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Renegotiate @ less than $5million/yr
43%
 43%  [ 22 ]
Keep Him at Current Contract
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 51

blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
From the numbers that I have this gives us about $16.5 million in cap space heading into free agency.

I've got the Packers at $16,397,685, which is pretty darn close to what you have.

Does that include any of the cap we rolled over? (Did we roll over much with all those injuries?)

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Matt Flynn was a much much less likely scenario because A you technically cannot tag and trade for the sake of trading, and that's what we were obviously doing with Flynn. We couldn't afford a back-up QB on the roster for what Flynn would've made. Jennings could play here next year on the tag, and is far more valuable than Flynn, who couldn't even win the starting job after he left. Getting essentially a 5th round pick for Jennings is just terrible value, I can see TT doing it, but it is still dumb to me.

The NFL wasn't going to impede the process of Matt Flynn getting paid 14.4 million especially with how tense the situation was between the NFL and NFLPA was less than a year before regardless of what the Packers' intention to do with him. I think it had more to do with the fact that if the Packers couldn't flip Flynn, they'd be on the hook with a backup making a TON of money.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
Okay so that takes care of CM3. Jennings or Finley has to go in my opinion. That will give us moneys for Raji and most of the rookie pool. /draft,end offseason

Clay Matthews is probably going to get a similar contract to what Tamba Hali got from the Chiefs, they're pretty similar in production. Something around five years, 11.5 million per year. His cap number is a shade under 5 million, so you're penciling in around a 6 million raise assuming you made it a relatively flat contract. And then pencil in another 5 million for draft picks, and Woodson's release effectively is paying for a raise for Matthews and paying most of the draft picks.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
From the numbers that I have this gives us about $16.5 million in cap space heading into free agency.

I've got the Packers at $16,397,685, which is pretty darn close to what you have.

Does that include any of the cap we rolled over? (Did we roll over much with all those injuries?)

we rolled over $7million.

According to sportrac, we are at around $19.5 million under right now. But I'm not sure if they have any notable errors.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
I think 5-6 Mil likely takes care of our own free agents. Shields and EDS ins particular are going to see a pay raise.

Extend Raji and CMIII... I'm not sure how much that will cost, but I imagine with them having a contract in place, they can structure the contracts to be beneficial for both sides.

Going to need another 5-6 Mil for our own draft class as well.

Pencil in 5 million for draft picks, Shields/EDS (assuming 1st/2nd round tenders) will be an additional 4.5 million and then a Matthews extension adds another 6 million. That pretty much covers all the cap space we have for this offseason. Could open up more by restructuring Aaron Rodgers.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:

No, but I'm hesitant to add that to the salary since I'm sure Ted will want to roll some over to next year.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:
I think 5-6 Mil likely takes care of our own free agents. Shields and EDS ins particular are going to see a pay raise.

Extend Raji and CMIII... I'm not sure how much that will cost, but I imagine with them having a contract in place, they can structure the contracts to be beneficial for both sides.

Pencil in 5 million for draft picks, Shields/EDS (assuming 1st/2nd round tenders) will be an additional 4.5 million and then a Matthews extension adds another 6 million. That pretty much covers all the cap space we have for this offseason. Could open up more by restructuring Aaron Rodgers.

What about a potential restructure of Finley? I think he proved over the second half to be our future at tight end. He is so young and would a restructure help us immediately and keep him in Green Bay long term?
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:

No, but I'm hesitant to add that to the salary since I'm sure Ted will want to roll some over to next year.

Mine did not include any of the rollover either. I agree and think TT will want to try and stay away from that rollover money if he can.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:

You can't roll it to next year without rolling it to this year first. Even if we don't spend it this year, thats like what 7 million I read??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:

Very true. Sure would be nice if the cap rose a bit next year. I'm not sure what happens when Rodgers contract extension goes thru

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
What about a potential restructure of Finley? I think he proved over the second half to be our future at tight end. He is so young and would a restructure help us immediately and keep him in Green Bay long term?

Restructuring Finley wouldn't solve anything since he's on a one year contract effectively. We'd need to extend him if we wanted to save money. The signing bonus (500k I believe) would be accelerated and hit even with a new contract. I'm just not convinced that Finley's going to be interested in taking a paycut below 7 million, which if that's the case I think the Packers would be more prudent to hold off on extending him in case he flops. Maybe a 3 year, 21 million deal with 9.5 million guaranteed built like this.

2013: 2 million salary, 1.5 million signing bonus, 2 million workout bonus
2014: 2.5 million salary, 1.5 million signing bonus, 4 million roster bonus
2015: 2.5 million salary, 1.5 million singing bonus, 4 million roster bonus

That makes him the third highest paid tight end, and lower his cap number down by 3.25 million. And it is safe-proofing the Packers in case Finley flops.
rbens06

incognito_man wrote:
Shields is the wild card through all this. I think he's going to get more than many on here think. He will take a bigger chunk of change to retain than many are planning for.

His own coach compared his 2012 season to Tramon's 2010 after which Tramon got about $7mil/yr.

I think we'll be lucky to retain Shields for less than $5million/yr on a long term contract, although we do have the advantage of the tender.

I think much like the rationale used on not extending Rodgers until next offseason is the same with Shields. It does not make much sense to even try and negotiate a long term deal with Shields. Any long term deal will undoubtedly pay him more then the tender and the tender locks him up for next year on a good price. A long term deal might be beneficial because we can lock him up for multiple years and maybe get a discount. However, Shields has had ups and down throughout his career, and although I think he is a good player to move forward with, it makes sense to make him prove the long term deal and allow us to reap the benefit of the RFA.
blankman0021

Packerraymond wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:

You can't roll it to next year without rolling it to this year first. Even if we don't spend it this year, thats like what 7 million I read??

He means that well roll it to this year, but well prolly have close to the same rolling to next year. So we can basically ignore it. Plus good gms have a lil safety room under the cap.

I remember TT saying if it weren't for the uncapped year we couldn't have won that Super Bowl. Wouldn't have had the $$ to pay the guys we picked up when everybody went to IR

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:

It's already rolled over, I'm just essentially already counting that 7 million as being rolled over into next year.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:

Yeah, I would rather save the money on jennings, so that we could resign finley during the first quarter of next year. They should be able to do some very flexible and amazing things with the cap this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: