Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HakeemThe Dream's First REAL Mock Draft (No Offseason)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: HakeemThe Dream's First REAL Mock Draft (No Offseason) Reply with quote

After looking over the mock I made a few days ago, I realized that the draft wasn't going to be realistic because of all of the FA acquisitions. Because the Giants are so unpredictable and hesitant when it comes to the free agent market, I decided to put together a quick mock draft which has no barring on free agency. Now you might say "this guy will never be here when we pick!" but truth is, people who nobody thinks will be there falls every year. Some recent examples: Randle, Hosley, Prince, Austin, KP, etc. The list can go on and on. Truth be told, we aren't in the draft room and don't really know who will go where. So I used a culmination of mock drafts online to get somewhat of an understanding of who is going where, and put together this mock draft. Feedback is appreciated and welcomed! Here you go:

1. Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia (6-3, 235 lbs)
I was really debating between Ogletree and Richardson here for this pick, and would be happy with either of the two at this pick. Ogletree just has that "it" factor at the LB position. Yeah, he is very raw and has trouble disengaging from blocks, but he hasn't even played two full seasons at LB and has all of the potential in the world. He has the size and speed to play in the middle of a 4-3 and excels in pass coverage. He gets flushed out of running lanes too often, but also has a tendency to make splash plays behind the line of scrimmage. Although the Giants don't often draft LBs early, this has that typical Reese early pick where the player is extremely athletic and has tons of potential. Just needs some coaching in order for him to get to that level that should be expected of a first rounder.

2. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue (6-3, 310 lbs)
It's hard to get a good feel of where Short will end up in the draft. With such a deep DT class, I've seen him anywhere from 4 to 9. With the loss of Canty, Short would immediately fill a void left at the DT position opposite Linval Joseph. Short is one of the best pass-rushing DTs in the draft, recording 7 sacks last season. He's got a good frame for a DT with long arms, which helped him pile up 11 pass deflections and 4 blocked kicks. He needs to work on his run-stopping a bit, as he is inconsistent playing with leverage. Putting him next to all of the talent on this defensive line would really give Short a chance to reach his potential in both areas. As long as he and Linval can attract blockers, it will open up lanes for Ogletree to make plays to his best ability.

3. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, DE, FSU (6-5, 265 lbs)
Tank's draft status is very complex. He was a first round pick before tearing his ACL in November. He was regarded as the most complete pass rusher prior to injury. If he can show teams he has recovered in private workouts, he will most likely go a round earlier. Tank is a quick athlete with great flexibility, essential for a DE. Had an astounding 80 tackles last year to go along with 11 sacks. Uses his hands well and does a good job disengaging from blocks. Has various pass rushing moves. Very polished player coming into the draft. May not be able to count on him in 2013, but he could be a valuable contributor in 2014. Like JPP, he played most of his college ball in JUCO before getting one year to start at the top level of competition. If all goes well with the injury, it will allow JPP to move to the left side where his run-stopping capabilities will be better utilized.

4. Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St. (5-10, 195 lbs)
McFadden is a small school prospect with big time ability. The Giants have an obvious need a CB, and McFadden could be the finishing piece of the Prince-Hosley-McFadden CB trio. He's got fluid hips and quick with change-of-direction to keep with WRs. Fast enough to keep up with most WRs vertically. Baits QBs into throwing at him and is very aggressive when the ball is in the air. Needs to work on his tackling and helping in the run game, but has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL. Doesn't excel in press coverage; looks more natural in off-man and zone coverage. Would be a more highly regarded prospect if he played against better competition.

5. Chris Faulk, OT, LSU (6-5, 325 lbs)
Faulk is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. Prior to a torn ACL in the practice after the season-opener, Faulk was regarded as a 1st-2nd round prospect. He doesn't have ideal size for an OT, but is versatile enough to play both left and right tackle. Strong hands and quick feet allows him to control pass rushers on the left side. Physical run blocker who could improve in the area but is more than adequate. If he can recover from the injury, he could use the 2013 season as a redshirt year where he learns the system and can be used as an extra-OL in goal-line formations. Has the potential to be a starter on either side, and possibly at OG, as long as he can recover from the injury.

6a. Josh Evans, S, Florida (6-1, 205 lbs)
Evans is not as highly regarded as teammate Elam, but he is definitely no slouch at the safety position. Very athletic and was a track star in high school. Has that attacking mentality that is vital for safeties in the NFL. Competitor in the run game and is relentless in pursuit. Never gives up in pursuit on receivers after the catch. Effective blitzer and plays comfortable in the box. Reliable open-field tackler who goes for the sure-tackle rather than the big hit. Played deep often in college to allow Elam to roam closer to the LoS. Has more than adequate speed to compete in the NFL. A little slow in reacting to the play, which is why he isn't a more popular prospect. Reminds me a lot of Reshad Jones on the Dolphins, who was one of my favorite draft prospect a few years ago.

6b. DeVonte Holloman, LB, South Carolina (6-2, 245 lbs)
This is a projected compensatory pick for the Giants. Holloman is a former strong safety who converted to LB. Has the ideal size for a LB in the NFL. True athlete with good play-recognition against the pass. Takes good angles in the run game and has good timing. Lacks flexibility, but has all of the athletic intangibles one looks for in an NFL LB. Great instincts for a converted LB. High motor should translate well to special teams right away. Wouldn't really trust him guarding TEs or WRs in open space. Doesn't have great speed and is too easily engaged by blockers. Looks like a sepcial teamer right away as well as a backup LB, with potential to be groomed into a starter who can play at least two downs.

7. Spencer Ware, RB, LSU (5-11, 225 lbs)
Ware is the perfect complement to David Wilson. Ware would be a much more popular prospect if he didn't have to compete with 5 other RBs for carries at LSU. He's definitely not a breakaway threat, but he is going to run you over. Runs like Marion Barber III and will scare defenders when he lowers his shoulder. Always fights for the extra yard in each and every run. Will be a perfect short-yardage back for the Giants. Gives his all on every single carry. Has the mentality to become a devastating pass blocker at the next level. Good patience for finding the lane. North-and-south runner. Can make people miss with an elusive move, although he prefers to hit you straight on. His running style will wear a defense down. Sounds like a great change-of-pace back to Wilson if he is developed properly. Might not last 10 years in the NFL, but will give you all he's got running the ball until his body won't let him take that contact anymore.

So... thoughts?

Last edited by HakeemTheDream on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
dkebones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Short, primarily because I want to opt for a run-stuffing biased DT. I'm just too tired of watching teams run straight down our neck season after season.

Otherwise, I obviously love the Ogle pick (I am "Ogle-ing" Ogletree.... yup, I went there... Cool ).
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Love your 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Short, primarily because I want to opt for a run-stuffing biased DT. I'm just too tired of watching teams run straight down our neck season after season.

Otherwise, I obviously love the Ogle pick (I am "Ogle-ing" Ogletree.... yup, I went there... Cool ).

I thought each of the late round picks had great potential to be quality players in the NFL. It's hard to find gems late in the draft, but I think at least two of them will be hits.

I'm not entirely sold on Short either, but this class is filled with pass-rushing DTs and doesn't have nearly as many run-stoppers. I think Linval is more of a run-stuffer rather than a pass-rusher, so he and Short would complement each other well.

I love Ogletree, and as long as he doesn't run in the 4.3s, I think he will be around at 19. LBs who don't rush the passer just aren't a premium in the first round anymore.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Only complaint would be McFadden, he is 5-10 and we already have Jayron, maybe replace him with Blidi Wreh-Wilson?
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ draft. For real. I love every prospect. Only one not sure on is Faulk.

^Stone85 on the sig^
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
Nice. Only complaint would be McFadden, he is 5-10 and we already have Jayron, maybe replace him with Blidi Wreh-Wilson?

McFadden is much bigger than Hosley. I'd feel comfortable with Prince guarding the biggest WRs, and McFadden could handle the guy opposite of him. My biggest problem with Wreh-Wilson is that I've read that he is going to be best in the slot in the NFL, which is where the Giants have been coaching Hosley to play. I mean if they chose Wreh-Wilson and put Hosley outside, I'd be all good for that too, but I think Wreh-Wilson will be selected earlier than McFadden.

Save The Hero wrote:
A+ draft. For real. I love every prospect. Only one not sure on is Faulk.

He sounds like a good fit for the team. Played a year of both LT and RT against top notch competition in the SEC and really held his own as a pass blocker. His versatility makes it seem like such a perfect fit with what Reese looks for in his O-Linemen.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

high value in almost every pick with a lot of starting potential on defense... taking multiple prospects with injury history worries me but they could be homeruns if they can stay healthy... good draft!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be thrilled.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big college fan so I can't really comment on the players. But positionally I feel like that's an awful lot of defensive picks at a time when our O-line is quickly getting old and has no key permanent pieces in place. I know Reese is a big "BPA" guy but he has to address that line this year. If not we are in big trouble. Just my $.02

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"

Last edited by Shockey1979 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigblueben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of this mock. I'd possibly look to take Richardson over Ogletree, but its pretty negligible and if this is how our draft turned out I'd be pretty darn happy!

Love the picks at the back end.

mad props to Rase on the sig
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a whole lot of defense ... love it Laughing

All guys are physical and fit our scheme perfectly.

Im a little shaky on Faulk ... dont doubt him though. Just think it will take him a year or two to understand the system.

Out of all the late round running backs Ware may be my favorite prospect, "big" guy that can run you over. Im an old school power running lover so he in our system with Wilson/Brown would be excellent.

#WeTheNorth
G-Men1994

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Draft!!

I'm also not sure about Short. People have been giving him a first round grade, and I agree with it I just hope we can get him in the second round.

And Leon McFadden, I believe we need a corner back earlier, and it's true he is 5-10, I believe we need a bigger corner, but Blidi Wreh-Wilson won't be there on the 4th.

The right pick in 4th would be Tharold Simon, he is a bigger corner that has physicality, but lacks technique in the press coverage. I believe we can teach him that and improve his game, so he can play against the big guys in the outside.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
high value in almost every pick with a lot of starting potential on defense... taking multiple prospects with injury history worries me but they could be homeruns if they can stay healthy... good draft!

High risk, high reward! The injured players would never be around if they didn't have the concerns, so it's just a risk you have to take.

Shockey1979 wrote:
I'm not a big college fan so I can't really comment on the players. But positionally I feel like that's an awful lot of defensive picks at a time when our O-line is quickly getting old and has no key permanent pieces in place. I know Reese is a big "BPA" guy but he has to address that line this year. If not we are in big trouble. Just my $.02

I really want a valuable piece for the OL in this draft, but all of the players I want will not be there when we pick (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack) in the 1st and the guys I would want in the 2nd (Warford, Fluker) will be gone also. Giants just aren't in good position to get one of the elite OL in the draft this year. I think the Giants are better off re-signing Beatty and finding replacements at LG and RT in free agency, which is VERY deep in the OL this year.

bigblueben wrote:
Big fan of this mock. I'd possibly look to take Richardson over Ogletree, but its pretty negligible and if this is how our draft turned out I'd be pretty darn happy!

Love the picks at the back end.

Thanks for the kind words. I was really going back and forth between the two, and it just came down to the fact that I believe Richardson has a better chance of being taken before 19. I'd be thrilled with either.

Gmen4ev wrote:
Thats a whole lot of defense ... love it Laughing

All guys are physical and fit our scheme perfectly.

Im a little shaky on Faulk ... dont doubt him though. Just think it will take him a year or two to understand the system.

Out of all the late round running backs Ware may be my favorite prospect, "big" guy that can run you over. Im an old school power running lover so he in our system with Wilson/Brown would be excellent.

Last year was an offensive-heavy draft by the Giants, so this year needs to be the opposite. Faulk is one of those players who may need to be coached up, but would be valuable in the fact that he can contribute at LT, LG, RG, and RT. Think of him in terms of a Diehl, who is the jack of all trades (well, before he started sucking). I love Ware as a prospect. He is a total effort runner who fights for every inch he can get. Exactly what the Giants need to complement their backs right now. I'd love to draft him or sign Chris Ivory from NO. Both violent runners who this team will need down the stretch.

G-Men1994 wrote:
Good Draft!!

I'm also not sure about Short. People have been giving him a first round grade, and I agree with it I just hope we can get him in the second round.

And Leon McFadden, I believe we need a corner back earlier, and it's true he is 5-10, I believe we need a bigger corner, but Blidi Wreh-Wilson won't be there on the 4th.

The right pick in 4th would be Tharold Simon, he is a bigger corner that has physicality, but lacks technique in the press coverage. I believe we can teach him that and improve his game, so he can play against the big guys in the outside.

Thanks! I was really up-in-the-air about Short. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 25-65. Hard to get a good grasp of where he will go. The other guy I was considering in the 2nd was Sylvester Williams from UNC. Williams is more of a run-stuffer than Short, but he has no pass rush whatsoever and is very inconsistent and raw. I'd be happy with either of the two. A

As for McFadden, I think people are over-analyzing his height. 5-10 is solid for a CB. Prince is 6-0, 210 lbs. He can handle the bigger WRs in the NFL. I haven't looked much into Simon, mostly because he didn't stand out in a secondary full of standout players in recent memory. I wouldn't be against the pick, I just think McFadden has more potential of the two.
G-Men1994

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree haha I believe McFadden has definitely more potential than Simon. Hopefully Prince will be very good for us next year!
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:

I really want a valuable piece for the OL in this draft, but all of the players I want will not be there when we pick (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack) in the 1st and the guys I would want in the 2nd (Warford, Fluker) will be gone also. Giants just aren't in good position to get one of the elite OL in the draft this year. I think the Giants are better off re-signing Beatty and finding replacements at LG and RT in free agency, which is VERY deep in the OL this year.

Seems like a band-aid. And with the minimal amount of money we have to spend I don't see them affording long term O-lines solutions through FA. They need to stop drafting project lineman and spend a couple of early picks on key pieces for the future. We are going to quickly find ourselves with one of the worse O-lines in the league.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: