Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sandwhich's "Is this how you do a Mock?" (Part 2!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very good mock. Very nice work. Very realistic.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
This was a very good mock. Very nice work. Very realistic.

Well thank you. Sadly we'd still have some holes at CB and Safety, very thin on the offensive line, a still incomplete linebacker corps (Haralson is really just a band-aid player and we don't have much behind him), an unproven WR corps (to me this is Holmes included), and no true FB. Pretty much impossible to fix everything unless some of the low-contract players prove something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the players you actually took, but with the depth this draft has, we could really do ourselves a huge favor in rebuilding by trading down instead of up, and accruing more picks.

That's just my opinion though. Great analysis and everything otherwise.
NewYorkJetsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of trading up for Glennon, but other than that I'd be pretty happy with this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets ripped 49ers off big time. 3 picks and one player for just Cromartie? I don't see that way.

Jets poached off Texans' RB because they ran ZBS and yet, you suggested Jets would take Warmack at 9th overall pick if he was there. Warmack is a pure trapper so he won't fit in any zbs.

I don't count on Dion Jordan being Jets' 9th overall selection at all.

Mike Glennon is completely misfit in WCO but if he is under the center, offense will be a spread offense. 1st Round is too high for that. Drafting him in the first round will be acceptable if he is groomed into a reliable offense system like EP or Coryell or mix. WCO is out of question. Ryan Nassib would make sense for that selection.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
Jets ripped 49ers off big time. 3 picks and one player for just Cromartie? I don't see that way.

A player they would be cutting anyway. The value of those combined picks comes to an early 3rd. An early 3rd plus a player (one of 0 value to the 49ers) is out of the question for a CB that performed a a top 5-10 level last season?

Quote:
Jets poached off Texans' RB because they ran ZBS and yet, you suggested Jets would take Warmack at 9th overall pick if he was there. Warmack is a pure trapper so he won't fit in any zbs.

I'm not saying the Jets would necessarily run a ZBS. I don't believe Tate to be a scheme exclusive RB. Warmack would be good for most offensive lines.

Quote:
I don't count on Dion Jordan being Jets' 9th overall selection at all.

No problem, though I personally do. The Jets have been reportedly high on a number of pass rushers similar to Jordan in the past few years. He's got the hype to be this high, and I think the Jets finally pull the trigger.

Quote:
Mike Glennon is completely misfit in WCO but if he is under the center, offense will be a spread offense. 1st Round is too high for that. Drafting him in the first round will be acceptable if he is groomed into a reliable offense system like EP or Coryell or mix. WCO is out of question. Ryan Nassib would make sense for that selection.

From what I've seen of Glennon, he has excellent ball placement and obviously a good arm. He isn't at the level he needs to be in terms of reads, which I noted, but I believe he could play in in Morninwheg's system with some proper coaching. The Jets can't really trap themselves into passing on talent they like because they don't fit the mold 100%.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
I like the players you actually took, but with the depth this draft has, we could really do ourselves a huge favor in rebuilding by trading down instead of up, and accruing more picks.

That's just my opinion though. Great analysis and everything otherwise.

Fair enough point, but they Jets still do make 7 picks in the draft. It's not as if they're losing picks. I can't argue with that belief though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your mock presents a realistic scenario. Obviously everyone wants the ideal draft where we draft everyone we exactly want. Which never happens. Definetly a lot of hard work and very well done id say.

As far as the draft

I love Jordan at 9.

Depth wise, I think we take a step back and draft one of the average quarterbacks in the 2nd or 3rd. That's probably the only thing i would change. We need players bad even though you incorporated some decent player trades. As for me in a West Coast offense, a good running back isnt always needed. You can get away with an average guy. I think Bilal Powell has actually shown a lot of improvement. Although a a couple 5ths probably isnt to bad for Ben Tate, hes only got one year left on his deal and has been injury prone.

Maybe in the 4th round you could go Tight end. In a West Coast, we need a prototypical guy that can run every route, like DK. Fasano is really a pure blocker with the ability to be a redzone ace. I for one am not a fan of Cumberland. Hes just a head ache. His hands really arent that good and he always catches with his chest. Obviously it doesnt cost much to keep Cumberland but we cant rely on him to be a go to guy on the recieving department.

The jets need to figure which positions can be left somewhat weak, but will have the least affect to the offense or defense as a whole. I feel running back and guard are two positions on offense that in a West Coast system, that we can get away with being somewhat weak. On the defensive side of the ball i think if we have to role Mcyntyre, id be fine with rolling him and a rookie. But Safety definetly scares me, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen are still evolving but Allen isnt a FS, Bush is. So we would go into the season with Bush and Bell, which you never know could work but we gotta hope we get pressure on the quarterback.
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not impressed with any QB's in this draft. I definetely dont want to trade up for anyone, especially a QB. Glennon might fall to us in 2nd round... but even if he didnt- there are a few other Qb's that would be there or even in the 3rd.
We need to address a few other spots before we start trading up. IMO
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo1904 wrote:
I'm just not impressed with any QB's in this draft. I definetely dont want to trade up for anyone, especially a QB. Glennon might fall to us in 2nd round... but even if he didnt- there are a few other Qb's that would be there or even in the 3rd.
We need to address a few other spots before we start trading up. IMO

That seems to be the general consensus around here, and while I partially agree, I see the Jets biting on someone. After last year, there's just no way they go into the season with Sanchez/Veteran competition, McElroy. No way. I don't see them making a push for Smith or Flynn either because they just can't afford it and will have to commit to them. So they will have to draft someone, and if you're going to draft someone you might as well get the guy you actually like the most, not just settling on whoever falls to you. That's just not okay for the QB position in drafts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was well done. I'm also leaning towards the idea that maybe the Jets should consider resigning DeVito instead of keeping Pouha, as one would hope Ellis should be able to handle most of NT duty this year.

I agree in wanting to see a Revis deal done this year, but the way I've been thinking about making it happen is trading David Harris instead of restructuring. It would seem unlikely anyone would want his current deal, but if the Jets can extend him, so could another team that's transitioning to a 34 defense. It would essentially be choosing Revis over Harris, and than Cromartie could be traded to give the Jets the room to resign Keller, Edwards, and an RB in FA to give the offense a chance to succeed.

I also think I'd rather pick an OL than reach on any of the QB's early on, because even if Moore is retained he'd be a short term investment, and I don't know exactly what we'll have in Howard and Ducasse when a new system is installed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Harris is, and I don't mean to be rude, the silliest thing the Jets could do this off season. He was the only Linebacker on this team that played well, and the only 1 of 4 starters that is remaining. He makes adjustments and is generally the go-to guy for defensive calls. How on earth could we trade him? It's not like we would even get good value for him. It's just making another hole at a position that, for the Jets, is maybe the weakest in the entire league at the moment. It just doesn't make sense to me one bit.

I'm not a fan of extending Harris either, but this is how I see it: the Jets are still clinging to a Rex Ryan run team, which means that they absolutely need Harris. If they decide to go a different direction in the coming years, his contract becomes VERY trade-able in 2015 with the extension I'm giving him. If he really declines and cannot be traded, he can be cut for non-crippling dead weight in 2015, and to save money in 2016 or 2017.

The strategy for the next two season should be to avoid large contracts anyway, so in a couple of years it won't really hurt to bite the bullet and lose some money on Harris.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Harris, but I think his loss could be absorbed if they signed Scott to a smaller contract, and featured more Davis and Maugha, perhaps a draft pick as well. I know it wouldn't be an ideal situation, but if the Jets fubar the handling of the Revis/ Cromartie situation to hold on to a player like Harris, I suspect we'll all regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Harris, but I think his loss could be absorbed if they signed Scott to a smaller contract, and featured more Davis and Maugha, perhaps a draft pick as well. I know it wouldn't be an ideal situation, but if the Jets fubar the handling of the Revis/ Cromartie situation to hold on to a player like Harris, I suspect we'll all regret it.

It's not really getting rid of Revis/Cro to keep Harris though. Both Revis and Cromartie have trade value NOW for the team, but come this team next year, Cromartie will be a year older and not coming off a terrific season (or as good, anyway). Revis will just want to test free agency rather than be involved in any kind of trade (we cannot tag him). I don't see BOTH of them being in the future plans, so if we're going to let one go/get something for them, now is the time to do it.

I don't want to say it's a luxury to have both Revis and Cromartie, but's certainly not a necessity, and it's an investment we can no longer justify making with the current state of the team. The duo was supposed to be the elite factor that put the team over the edge, but the team isn't even close anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, one of them should be moved this offseason. My fear though is that the Jets will move Cromartie to get the cap room they need without being in a position to negotiate a new deal with Revis, and they might be unsuccessfull coming to an agreement with by the time he hits FA next year.

The Jets should make a good faith effort to get Revis signed this offseason. If a workable arrangement can't be reached, he should be traded for future picks, while retaining Cromartie, and possibly Landry as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: