Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins sign former Patriots DL Ron Brace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Redskins sign former Patriots DL Ron Brace Reply with quote

Quote:
After being released by the New England Patriots, the Springfield native was signed by the Washington Redskins Thursday for an undisclosed amount of money.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/02/springfield_native_ron_brace_s_1.html

A former 2nd round pick, Brace struggled against the run and as a pass-rusher in his career at both the NT and DT positions, he is unlikely to make the final 53-man roster.
Tom Brady Tribute
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked this guy when he was coming out. Boy was I wrong.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:

I think everybody did. He was one of those projected second, third round guys that everyone around here loves, then never pans out. He falls in a group with Xavier Adibi, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, etc. There are more, just can't remember them right now.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
popie70 wrote:

I think everybody did. He was one of those projected second, third round guys that everyone around here loves, then never pans out. He falls in a group with Xavier Adibi, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, etc. There are more, just can't remember them right now.

I wasn't a big fan of his coming out, but Trevor Laws is the player that fits that description for me...
shawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the free agency roller coaster begins a little early this off-season.

no, but really, hopefully he can catch on and make the team. He may not be a great football player, but he does have a cool name.

sig made by mike23md
CJ4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he'll be a better fit for a 4-3 team. When he was coming out I really felt he could play NT on 3-4 or 4-3 team.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ4life wrote:
Maybe he'll be a better fit for a 4-3 team. When he was coming out I really felt he could play NT on 3-4 or 4-3 team.

Which we aren't....so will have to wait to see how that'll play out.

That and he wasn't very good in New England's 34.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Brace is the kind of player whose play on the field (and subsequent draft stock) directly benefitted from playing alongside BJ Raji at Boston College. Raji's talents clearly made Brace a better player and allowed him to appear more talented than he really was. That happens from time to time. Synergy can be difficult to recognize and measure at times.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Brace is the kind of player whose play on the field (and subsequent draft stock) directly benefitted from playing alongside BJ Raji at Boston College. Raji's talents clearly made Brace a better player and allowed him to appear more talented than he really was. That happens from time to time. Synergy can be difficult to recognize and measure at times.

What your saying here reminds me of that year, Manny Lawson, Mario Williams, and John McCargo all got drafted in the first round after playing on the same line at NC State, haha

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god John McCargo. That's an evil, evil name.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Which is precisely why i wanted GB to take a flier on him. Tag team him with Raji again and see what happens. Would have been interesting.

Kempes on the custom sig!
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
popie70 wrote:

What your saying here reminds me of that year, Manny Lawson, Mario Williams, and John McCargo all got drafted in the first round after playing on the same line at NC State, haha

That was pretty suprising. Didn't all four guys who were on that line get drafted?
patsfan25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he couldn't do anything with Wilfork eating up other boys, he won't do anything anywhere. He just sucks, simply put.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs2:
INTs:1
Pick 6s:
sputney23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low risk signing

NS922 On the sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He showed flashes as a 5-technique in 2010 and a few last year in rotational duty.

His problem is that he was drafted as a 0-technique NT as a contingency plan in case Wilfork left in free agency. Once Wilfork re-signed, Brace was tried in a few spots but inconsistency and injuries hampered him. By the time he figured out the 5-technique DE and earned some playing time, he got hurt and the Pats switched to a 4-3 the next year. As a UT/3-technique in a 4 man line, he is inadequate (doesn't have the skill set for it). With the Pats running sub packages more often than base most weeks, Brace was pretty useless. He offers little to nothing in the pass game. But as a 2 down NT in either scheme for a team that runs a lot of base defense, he might succeed.

He definitely has talent but couldn't stay on the field or out of Belichick's doghouse long enough to establish himself. He'd have times where he looked like a really good player and then look unbelievably lost at others. A fresh start somewhere else might jumpstart his career - if he can get/stay healthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: