Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greatest Ravens #4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

#4 Greatest Raven of All Time
Terrell Suggs
62%
 62%  [ 20 ]
Peter Boulware
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Joe Flacco
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Haloti Ngata
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Jamal Lewis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ray Rice
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Todd Heap
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Matt Stover
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Derrick Mason
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Chris McAllister
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Greatest Ravens #4 Reply with quote

Now that we're into the offseason, I figured we could start making a Ravens all-time list of players. We'll see what everyone thinks about it/participation, but I'm definitely going through 10, but maybe we can go to #20. Anyway, I think it goes without question that Ray is the #1 Raven of all time. #2 and #3 is an interesting debate between Ogden and Reed, but again, those two are pretty cemented in 2/3. I was thinking of starting with 2, but it may be more fun to have the runoff between those two as our grand finale.

So, the list as it currently stands:
1. Ray
2a. JO
2b. Reed

I have included the top 10 guys that I imagine could be argued for in the poll, but if for any number 'Other' receives a significant portion of the vote, then I will start a new poll including the 'other' answer(s) as well as a few of the top vote-getters. Some notable others in this poll could be Rod Woodson or Shannon Sharpe, I just felt that 10 was a good cutoff point.

I'm interested to see how are subforum ranks past Ravens on an all-time list.

Note: Let's keep this to their Ravens contributions. So, a guy like Rod Woodson would be considered for the years he played in Bmore, not Pitt or Oak.

EDIT:
Figured I would start putting the guys' stats and other pertinent info into the post.

Terrell Suggs
Statistics
149 GP / 133 GS, 429 Tackles, 7 INT/ 144 yards/ 2 TD, 84.5 Sacks, 25 FF/ 11 FR/ 0 TD
Post-season Statistics
15 GP, 46 Tackles, 12 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
5x Probowler
1x First-team All-pro
2011 Defensive Player of the Year
2003 Defensive Rookie of the Year
Tied for #3 all-time in NFL history for post-season sacks (tied with Reggie White, behind Bruce Smith and Willie McGinest)

Peter Boulware
Statistics
126 GP / 102 GS, 295 Tackles, 1 INT/ 6 yards/ 0 TD, 70 Sacks, 14 FF/ 5 FR/ O TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 0 Tackles (I think this must be a fluke), 3 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
1x Second-team All-Pro
1997 Defensive Rookie of the Year

Joe Flacco
Statistics
80 GP / 80 GS, 60.5% comp/ 17,633 yards/ 102 TD/ 56 INT/ 86.3 QBR, 201 rush/ 430 yards/ 7 TD
Post-season Statistics
13 GP, 55.5% comp/ 2,672 yards/ 19 TD/ 8 INT/ 86.2 QBR, 42 rush/ 79 yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2012 Superbowl MVP

Haloti Ngata
Statistics
109 GP / 106 GS, 242 tackles, 3 INT/ 68 yards/ 0 TD, 22 Sacks. 4 FF/ 5 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
13 GP, 29 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
2x First-Team All-pro
2x Second-Team All-pro

Jamal Lewis
Statistics
91 GP / 88 GS, 1,822 rushes/ 7,801 yards/ 4.3 YPC/ 45 TD, 160 Receptions/ 1,365 yards/ 2 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 130 Rushes/ 426 Yards/ 3.3 YPC/ 4 TD, 6 Receptions/ 32 Yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
1x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
2003 Offensive Player of the Year
Holds the #3 most prolific rushing season of all-time (2003)

Ray Rice
Statistics
77 GP / 65 GS, 1,216 rushes/ 5,520 yards/ 4.5 ypc/ 33 TD, 311 Receptions/ 2,713 yards/ 6 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 191 rushes/ 750 yards/ 3.9 ypc/ 5 TD, 37 Receptions/ 296 yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
2x Second-Team All-Pro

Todd Heap
Statistics
133 GP / 128 GS, 467 receptions/ 5,492 yards/ 11.8 ypc/ 41 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 32 receptions/ 385 yards/ 12 ypc/ 2 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Matt Stover
Statistics
207 GP, 418 FGA/ 354 FGM/ 85.7% FG %, 403 XPA/ 402 XPM/ 99.8% XP %, 1,464 points
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 19 FGA/ 16 FGM/ 84.3% FG %, 70 points
Accolades/Leaderboards
1x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Derrick Mason
Statistics
96 GP / 94 GS, 471 Receptions/ 5,777 yards/ 12.3 ypc/ 29 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 19 Receptions/ 278 yards/ 14.6 ypc/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards

Chris McAlister
Statistics
135 GP / 127 GS, 382 Tackles, 26 INT/ 486 yards/ 5 TD, 0 Sacks, 1 FF/ 7 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
8 GP, 3 INT/ 22 yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Last edited by sp6488 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wut, no love for Travis Taylor?

But actually, great question. Extremely difficult one as well. To me, it's between Boulware and Suggs. Boulware was dominant back in the day, playing well in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes and serving as a vital cog on the 2000 Ravens all-time great defense. Suggs has a greater longevity, a DPOY season, and is better against the run.

Terrell Suggs: 84.5 sacks, 63 stuffs, 48 PD's, 27 FF's

Peter Boulware: 70 sacks, 26.5 stuffs, 19 PD's, 13 FF's

When you put their career numbers up against each other, it actually doesn't even look that close. When you add in the fact that Suggs is still going and will only add to his accomplishments, I think it becomes a bit easier.

I'll take Ball so Hard University for 500, Trebeck.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
mcdni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the Sizzle at #4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with Flacco. One of the best QBs in the game right now. Had one of the best postseasons any QB has ever had. Winningest road QB in playoff history.

Free Ray Rice
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Wut, no love for Travis Taylor?

But actually, great question. Extremely difficult one as well. To me, it's between Boulware and Suggs. Boulware was dominant back in the day, playing well in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes and serving as a vital cog on the 2000 Ravens all-time great defense. Suggs has a greater longevity, a DPOY season, and is better against the run.

Terrell Suggs: 84.5 sacks, 63 stuffs, 48 PD's, 27 FF's

Peter Boulware: 70 sacks, 26.5 stuffs, 19 PD's, 13 FF's

When you put their career numbers up against each other, it actually doesn't even look that close. When you add in the fact that Suggs is still going and will only add to his accomplishments, I think it becomes a bit easier.

I'll take Ball so Hard University for 500, Trebeck.

Yea, I've started adding stats in the OP. I think you're right, when you start stacking them up against each other, then it really doesn't even feel that close. Suggs is still relatively young too, so it's feasible that he could have some very impressive numbers by the end of his career (That being said, this list is focused on post-2012, pre-2013).

DTMB wrote:
I'm going with Flacco. One of the best QBs in the game right now. Had one of the best postseasons any QB has ever had. Winningest road QB in playoff history.

True. That reminds me that I need to update his leaderboard for that. One thing that stuck out to me, is that many great Ravens players really didn't see the playoffs very much prior to Flacco's arrival. Suggs, for example, only played in 3 playoff games prior to the arrival of Joe. Sort of a hard nutshot to those saying he arrived on an amazingly loaded team.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Flacco is number 4 now and has the chance to overtake everybody. I know this might sound crazy to some but think about it. What if Flacco goes on to be league MVP and leads us to 2 or 3 more Lombardi's. Two would make him the winning QB of this era, 3 would make him the winningest QB of all time. It took Ray 5 years to get 1, it took Flacco 5 years too. As great as Ray was we never had back to back division titles til we got Flacco. Never made three straight postseasons til Flacco. Now it's not all his doing and he is nowhere near the guys in front of him yet but with continued success and statistical improvement I don't see how he wouldn't surpass everyone. Just my opinion.

P. S. I love Ray, Ed, and JO but just as much as Ray put the Ravens on the map Flacco has taken us to another level. We have the most wins in the NFL since he has been in the league, been to the most Conference title games and are tied for most SB victories. And that was all done on his rookie contract. WOW
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor quibble, but Boulware was Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1997, not Defensive Player of the Year, sp.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Minor quibble, but Boulware was Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1997, not Defensive Player of the Year, sp.

Embarassed

Anyway, if I have included any errors, please let me know. Additionally, what constitutes leaderboard/accolade inclusion is very subjective, so if there's anything that should be thrown in for anyone let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's cuz I'm a Steeler fan but I went with Ray Rice, there's 29 yards with of reason I can say this. The guy has been an absolute beast for the Ravens, I know there are times that he has put the ball on the ground but Ray Rice is a big part of the reason the Ravens hung on to win the division this year.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stover deserves some serious love for his consistency.

But for #4, I'll go with Suggs- for now. But Flacco is right on his tale. For me it's those two. Both have had some inconsistencies in their careers, but are tremendously clutch and get it done when it matters most. Suggs simply has the edge ATM because of his longevity with the team and the fact that he's on pace for a potential HOF career if he can get back to his 2011 form... or something close to it following his string of injuries in 2012. But as of now, I see him on a HOF pace.

With Flacco, I think he needs to put together a better regular season before I'm willing to put him higher than Suggs.

Good topic though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01. Ray Lewis
02. Ed Reed
03. Jonathan Ogden
04. Terrell Suggs

Suggs really solidified the spot with his 2011 DPOY, his post-season performances and the fact that he wrecks the Pittsburgh Steelers like no other player in the NFL when he's healthy.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I think Stover deserves some serious love for his consistency.

But for #4, I'll go with Suggs- for now. But Flacco is right on his tale. For me it's those two. Both have had some inconsistencies in their careers, but are tremendously clutch and get it done when it matters most. Suggs simply has the edge ATM because of his longevity with the team and the fact that he's on pace for a potential HOF career if he can get back to his 2011 form... or something close to it following his string of injuries in 2012. But as of now, I see him on a HOF pace.

With Flacco, I think he needs to put together a better regular season before I'm willing to put him higher than Suggs.

Good topic though.

I think if Suggs can get healthy, he has a great chance to make HOF. Even without putting up eye-popping numbers, he should be able to get to 125 sacks on his career (with a few years of 10 - 11 sacks or so). Add in a DPOTY, likely becoming the most recognizable face on the Ravens D (which, fair or not, means more than pretty much any team other than Steelers over the past decade+), good chance of becoming the all-time postseason leader in sacks, and the fact that he's great against the run.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sizzle's playoff production since 2008:

12 Sacks, 7 QB Hits, 20 QB Hurries, 39 Total Pressures, 3 forced fumbles.

Was too bad he was dealing with multiple injuries over this recent run, although his presence alone was of huge benefit to Kruger and in turn, the Ravens.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands of Iron wrote:
Sizzle's playoff production since 2008:

12 Sacks, 7 QB Hits, 20 QB Hurries, 39 Total Pressures, 3 forced fumbles.

Was too bad he was dealing with multiple injuries over this recent run, although his presence alone was of huge benefit to Kruger and in turn, the Ravens.

He was still elite at setting the edge on the outside. Easily the most underrated part of his game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a great player, and I think he's got a few elite seasons left in him to anchor the defense along with Haloti. I'm pretty optimistic that he'll have that playoff sack record within a couple years - and now 30+ years deep into the official stat - it has to merit consideration for his HOF chances since they are coming on the biggest stage(s) when games matter most. Having that DPOY season really is what put him in conversation as a hopeful HOF more than anything else or any numbers. It's indespensible on a resume and being the fourth one awarded to a Raven (tied for 2nd among all franchises since 1971) he gets to be in that special group with Lewis and Reed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: