Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alec Olgetree
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Alec Olgetree Reply with quote

I admit I don't know a ton about Olgetree but I read up on him a little and some people have him going @ 21 to the Bengals or as late as 26 to Green Bay (CBS Sports).

Based on the little information I did read about him via CBS Sports he's played both OLB & ILB. He's athletic, has great quickness, capable of getting into the backfield quickly and is fast in pursuit. Has long arms and coverage experience.

The big weaknesses discussed about him are his consistency against the run (big negative) and his pad level on tackles. The big red flag with him is his character. Something I did know about him, he served a 4-game suspension for failing a drug test. While he is compared to Sean Witherspoon, he is also suggested to have the potential of busting like Aaron Curry.

He's almost definitely a first round pick, but it's possible with his character issues he slides, I doubt it given the talent level.

Those of you who may know considerably more than I do about Olgetree, do you think this is a place the Steelers may look in the first round or are the character issues just too signifcant to take the risk?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is just a slightly more refined version of Timmons when he came out.

However, we need a compliment to Timmons, not a clone of him.

Id be pretty upset if we took him in the first round.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Thanks 43, can't say I've followed Olgetree that closely, definitely a valid point, we probably wouldn't have too much success if just cloned what we already have.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Thanks 43, can't say I've followed Olgetree that closely, definitely a valid point, we probably wouldn't have too much success if just cloned what we already have.

That being said, he is just the type of player that Tomlin likes.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

You guys are saying though (Kethy and Jebrick) that if we get NT Jesse Williams, then we don't need a buck.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
jebrick wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

You guys are saying though (Kethy and Jebrick) that if we get NT Jesse Williams, then we don't need a buck.

Ogletree is the exact opposite of a buck LB. He is 234 at this point.

What Kethy and I are saying is that if the Steelers draft real NT like Williams they can stick with their current players. It might be that they think Ta'amu can do the job. Fine. The current ILB, including backups, rely on the Nt holding vs double teams. None of them can take on a OG and fill the hole. If they are going to do a switch or think it is a long term thing then they will need a real buck LB.

All of this might not be solved in a single year/draft. It took the Steelers 2-3 years after Steed to get a real NT. We shall see what they will do with Casey. Jessie Williams is the best NT for the Steeler's system in the draft. If Colbert and Co. think it is a high need then he will be the pick.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
mosteelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like the idea of an Ogletree, or similar body, as long as he is paired with a great NT. Problem is we have to get a great NT first to make sure he can handle the inside aka, young Hampton.

If we are going to compete with the passing in the league we need super athletic linebackers to cover WR/TE/RB. A great NT would allow us to use a more athletic guy at LB. Not saying we are going that route but it would be an interesting conversation. I think I would like to be decent vs. the run and dominant vs. the pass with the way the rules are in the NFL.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
he is just the type of player that Tomlin likes.

yep. i've resigned myself to us picking him in the 1st. Fuggit. Whatever. We'll have 3 jokers on the field, maybe we'll end up with some turnovers. Let's hope Ta'amu or Fangupo step up and fill Casey's shoes, or let's pray we move ziggy to NT and he just does so well shooting off the center's shoulder that he automatically draws the play side OG in a double team. *shrugs*
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@keth and jebrick: But you said a guy like Nico Johnson is a wasted pick with drafting Jesse Williams. So, what's wrong with taking Ogletree then?
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@keth and jebrick: But you said a guy like Nico Johnson is a wasted pick with drafting Jesse Williams. So, what's wrong with taking Ogletree then?

He's a Timmons clone...average against the run...struggles at stacking and shedding but excels in coverage and blitzing...great athleticism.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:

Ogletree is too much likes Timmons for my taste. Very limited experience. Makes plays on athleticism more than skill. Takes false sets on running plays. It is almost the exact issues that Timmons had when he came out. It would be like drafting Timmons again.

While I like Timmons now, Do you want to take 2-3 years for Ogletree to learn to become a ILB like Timmons?

I still think, it is a good possibility that Ogletree is the pick. I just do not like it.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Ogletree is too much likes Timmons for my taste. Very limited experience. Makes plays on athleticism more than skill. Takes false sets on running plays. It is almost the exact issues that Timmons had when he came out. It would be like drafting Timmons again.

While I like Timmons now, Do you want to take 2-3 years for Ogletree to learn to become a ILB like Timmons?

I still think, it is a good possibility that Ogletree is the pick. I just do not like it.

Interesting. Like I said in my initial post I know very little overall about Olgetree, but since we were 'highlighting' 1st round LB's such as Jarvis, I thought I'd start a discussion about him. Thanks Jebrick. Do you think there's a chance of someone trading up to get him? aka snagging him so we don't?
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Sorry, not trying to seem like Im picking a fight, I just respect yours and Jebrick's knowledge a lot. Who would be your perfect ILB if we did get a player like Jesse Williams. Seems like you're against a Buck player and a Timmons clone. Just curious then who you have in mind?
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
jebrick wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Sorry, not trying to seem like Im picking a fight, I just respect yours and Jebrick's knowledge a lot. Who would be your perfect ILB if we did get a player like Jesse Williams. Seems like you're against a Buck player and a Timmons clone. Just curious then who you have in mind?

Manti Teo'

Thanks for the Sig Kethnaab!
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not against. The Steelers do not have the personal to do the change. If they had drafted Hightower, which it sounds like they would have done had DD not fallen to them, then they are in shape to make the change. I'm a firm believer that the Steelers look a year ahead to make draft decisions. If they think they will not have Hampton and there is no viable replacement then Hightower was their guy. When they drafted Ta'amu their comment was that he was the last NT on the board. My bet is that if they had drafted Hightower then Bobby Massie or Ladarius Green or Nick Toon would be Steelers today.

If their weren't a NT of Jessie Williams capabilities in this draft it would be another thing. If there was a ILB of Hightower's capabilities in this draft it would be another thing.

Do I think they can pull off something without Hampton or a Buck LB sure but people are going to raise holy h311 when they get gashed up the middle for several years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: