Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent ILBs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I was just thinking of a scenario where we don't resign Ellerbe and miss out on Arthur Brown in the draft. If Bynes showed the ability to play Will, then I would've just been content with drafting Kevin Reddick in the 4th and roll into next season with the two of them as our starters... but I guess we're going to need a Will no matter what if we can't retain Ellerbe. Otherwise, I'm cool rolling with our UDFA dreadlock duo. Razz

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, I'd like to chime in here.

When it comes to a 'comparison' of Ellerbe and Maualuga, ...Rey is garbage.

Urlacher, as stated very early in this thread, is slow...Vilma comes with baggage, and Beason..yeah he's going to be expensive.

Ellerbe, as much as I hate to admit it, is one of the young, up and coming LB's in this league. There is NO WAY they should be looking to 'replace' him.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Urlacher, as stated very early in this thread, is slow...Vilma comes with baggage, and Beason..yeah he's going to be expensive.

Ellerbe, as much as I hate to admit it, is one of the young, up and coming LB's in this league. There is NO WAY they should be looking to 'replace' him.

I don't think any of us want to replace Ellerbe if it can be helped. We don't what know what the Ravens will be able to do if they don't get Flacco's contract done before free agency starts. If they do get a deal done and don't have to use the franchise tag I would bet good money that they re-sign Ellerbe. If not it gets a lot more interesting.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I don't think any of us want to replace Ellerbe if it can be helped. We don't what know what the Ravens will be able to do if they don't get Flacco's contract done before free agency starts. If they do get a deal done and don't have to use the franchise tag I would bet good money that they re-sign Ellerbe. If not it gets a lot more interesting.

You're right. I would be shocked if Ellerbe is not the next guy to be signed. I know media reported Reed AND Ellerbe were the 'next targets', but lets be honest, Ellerbe is the #1 priority now. Reed is old, not saying he isn't good but if you could hypothetically only keep one..would it really be Reed? I doubt it.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

You're right. I would be shocked if Ellerbe is not the next guy to be signed. I know media reported Reed AND Ellerbe were the 'next targets', but lets be honest, Ellerbe is the #1 priority now. Reed is old, not saying he isn't good but if you could hypothetically only keep one..would it really be Reed? I doubt it.

Hypothetically speaking, I'd rather have Reed. We know what we're getting with him. Reed is going to give us a top 5 safety tandem when lined up next to either Bernard Pollard or James Ihedigbo. He can't tackle well and even avoids major contact, but he makes the last line of defense tackle like he's supposed to and when closer to the line will hold a guy up until his teammates get there. Reed is going to be a nuclear deterrent in coverage preventing big plays. We know that we get veteran leadership in the secondary as well. All this- we know. And getting that kind of play and leadership for another year to two years will be important.

Ellerbe on the other hand could be anywhere on the map. Last year was a contract year and that seems to be his peak ability to boot. So he could continue to play like he did last year... or he could come into camp lazy after a new deal and becomes a free agent bust.

So all things considered... I'll take my chances with the sure thing on a short deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Diamondbull

Obviously a Baltimore fan is going to know a bit more in detail about their players than a non-Baltimore fan, but I'm not sure that I feel Ellerbe has peaked yet. I think he has a ton of potential to continue to improve and he's been, imo, a solid player for Baltimore. I guess, from my perspective, while I definitely think Reed is easily one of the best Free Safeties to ever play the game (arguably the best), Ellerbe has a longer future. I'd opt for the long-term but that's just me. At the same time, I see your point, it has merit.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ people saying they're content with Bynes being a starter and releasing Ellerbe. I can't shake my head enough at that. We already have a front seven that's lacking talent and speed, so we're going to release our most talented ILB who's also our most athletic and hand the starting spot to a slow 4th string ILB. Nice.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
lol @ people saying they're content with Bynes being a starter and releasing Ellerbe. I can't shake my head enough at that. We already have a front seven that's lacking talent and speed, so we're going to release our most talented ILB who's also our most athletic and hand the starting spot to a slow 4th string ILB. Nice.

Where did anyone say we would be "releasing" Ellerbe? Ellerbe is not on the roster. We would not be releasing him at all. Ellerbe is going to want to get paid. He has his championship ring and for a guy like him, this is likely to be his last chance to cash in off this type of sequence (best season, championship ring inflation)... so you'd better bet that he'll want to get paid about $7-9m... maybe more with the TV deal inflation likely to hit contracts sooner than later. Ellerbe is going to go to the highest bidder.

So yeah... you'd better believe that I'll take Josh Bynes and his 4.81 speed... which just so happens to be comparable to what Ellerbe is likely to run. I'll take Josh Bynes and his 13 tackle output against Denver when we played them or his 9 tackle output against the Bengals in week 17. There were rumors that he was our most impressive ILB during OTAs and then he broke his back (or something to that affect) and then he recovers enough to lead take hold of the playcalling helmet and leading the defense to a leading tackle effort. Bynes is not much less athletic than Dannell Ellerbe- he just needs more experience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Where did anyone say we would be "releasing" Ellerbe? Ellerbe is not on the roster. We would not be releasing him at all. Ellerbe is going to want to get paid. He has his championship ring and for a guy like him, this is likely to be his last chance to cash in off this type of sequence (best season, championship ring inflation)... so you'd better bet that he'll want to get paid about $7-9m... maybe more with the TV deal inflation likely to hit contracts sooner than later. Ellerbe is going to go to the highest bidder.

So yeah... you'd better believe that I'll take Josh Bynes and his 4.81 speed... which just so happens to be comparable to what Ellerbe is likely to run. I'll take Josh Bynes and his 13 tackle output against Denver when we played them or his 9 tackle output against the Bengals in week 17. There were rumors that he was our most impressive ILB during OTAs and then he broke his back (or something to that affect) and then he recovers enough to lead take hold of the playcalling helmet and leading the defense to a leading tackle effort. Bynes is not much less athletic than Dannell Ellerbe- he just needs more experience.

My mistake, by releasing I meant not resigning, which we SHOULD be doing.

Yeah, you can take Bynes and I'll take the guy who was impressive in the playoffs and especially the Superbowl.

coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, relying on Bynes to be a starter is too much of a gamble in my opinion. If the Ravens get a guy at that position high in the draft it wouldn't be so bad but if they plan on waiting for a guy like Reddick then it gets highly questionable. I just get the feeling that people are putting too much stock in Baltimore's history with UDFA ILBs.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Yeah, you can take Bynes and I'll take the guy who was impressive in the playoffs and especially the Superbowl.

Bynes made the game sealing tackle.

And yeah you go ahead and take Ellerbe at $8m per... I'll just stick with my measley old Josh Bynes for all of 615k against the cap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Bynes made the game sealing tackle.

And yeah you go ahead and take Ellerbe at $8m per... I'll just stick with my measley old Josh Bynes for all of 615k against the cap.

$8m a year that's well worth it vs. $615k of below average ILB play. Yeah, I'm still going with Ellerbe. We all know that you can't use tackles to judge how good an ILB is. Ray Lewis I think set a record for most tackles in the post season this year, and we all know how bad he was. Bynes MIGHT be a good option down the road, but why not keep Ellerbe AND have Bynes starting next to him? Instead we're going to let all of our ILB depth walk out the door due to retirement and not wanting to pay? Idk, I just don't agree with that. I understand the "right player, right price" mentality, but with Kruger walking and Cary likely to walk, signing Ellerbe seems to be a no-brainer to me.

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, which game sealing tackle are you talking about?

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

The special teams tackle that ended the Super Bowl? If he doesn't make that tackle they have a crease for a possible run back.

And Ray Lewis was bad in the Super Bowl, but throughout the playoffs he was a beast. His coverage was lacking, but he was all over the field.

And lost in the equation about Ellerbe is that he also hasn't been fully durable throughout his career to this point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

The last one of the game on Ginn's return.

I wouldn't want Ellerbe back at an average of $8 million per year. Obviously the cap hit wouldn't be that big for the first year or two but that's a ton of money to give what essentially is a one-year wonder at this point. I don't think he's going to regress any but he has had motivation issues in the past so there is a more real risk of it happening. I like Ellerbe a lot but he's replaceable and isn't one of the core players on the team. Baltimore can afford to overpay those guys a bit but not the role players around them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: