Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent ILBs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Free Agent ILBs Reply with quote

I just wanted to get your opinions on our Inside linebackers for next year. It looks like we're all of the same opinion that we're gonna have a veteran and we want to draft a rookie with one of our first couple of picks. There's been a big debate about which rookie we should draft but we haven't really discussed the veteran. From all the early free agent rumours and cap struggles around the league there looks like there could be a few veterans cut for cap space if they can't restructure their deals. So far I've read Urlacher in Chicago, Vilma in New Orleans, Maualuga in Cincy and the best one name I've heard for restructuring is Jon Beason in Carolina. How would you guys feel about bringing one of those guys in (if its affordable of course) or would you much prefer to bring back our own guy Ellerbe instead or double rookies as santiagomn8 has mentioned (great idea btw) or promoting from within?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 21443
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather keep Ellerbe.

Urlacher is old and slower now. Not worth it to bring him in, for a sizeable price, for only a year.

Vilma may very well be blacklisted despite his being allowed back. Plus he comes with a high price tag.

Maualuga in Cincy isn't better than Ellerbe.

Beason is going to demand a ton.

Ellerbe is by far the best value, is young, knows the system, and has shown he can play well for us. He's most definitely the best choice in my eyes. Then, hopefully we can grab a talented one in the first few rounds as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stance Punk


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maualuga? The guy that got outplayed by UDFA Vontaze Burfict?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stance Punk wrote:
Maualuga? The guy that got outplayed by UDFA Vontaze Burfict?

Burfict went undrafted because he was an idiot that lacked motivation. He was rated the #1 ILB coming out of high school over Manti Te'O. He was a force during his sophomore season in college... just couldn't play under control. He was also highly athletic on tape... but didn't workout for the combine and he failed the interviews.

But on talent, he was nothing worse than a 2nd round talent... and when motivated and under control... he was a 1st round talent. He was always going to be a huge boon or a huge bust... it just so happens he had no bust factor since no one was foolish enough to actually draft him. He's a talent. He's very similar to Jared Gaither and Bryant McKinnie... dominates when they feel like applying some effort.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2029
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wish the Ravens had gone and got Burfict as an UDFA. Definitely worth the punt, and it's paid off handsomely for the Bengals so far.

At best he's a starting ILB for the next eight to ten years, at worst he's a punk that you cut as soon as he becomes trouble.

Anyway, regarding free agent LBs, I don't like any of them this year. At least, not any of the ones who might actually become free agents, rather than sign new contracts with their existing teams.

Anthony Spencer and Connor Barwin would be worth looking at if they hit the market (but would end up being way too expensive), at OLB. That's about it. No ILBs I'd want to touch with a ten foot barge pole.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140842/article/nfc-veterans-on-the-roster-bubble

I note Beason as a possible surprise cut. He's only costing $5 million, if he was willing to come for the same amount would you rather him or Ellerbe? A brand new 'cane to throw in where Ray left off
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7189
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellerbe. I just can't trust Beason to stay healthy. He's a better player but I think there's too much risk if a team spends any significant amount of cap space on him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Ellerbe. I just can't trust Beason to stay healthy. He's a better player but I think there's too much risk if a team spends any significant amount of cap space on him.


I can agree with that statement completely. He is a real risk/reward player because he's shown flashes of that great ability but he's struggled to stay on the field the last couple of years. I'd only want to invest the same amount of money in him that I would Ellerbe, but I would be interested to see how he goes in our 3-4 too, but jeez he'd look good next to Kevin Minter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8461
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I still wish the Ravens had gone and got Burfict as an UDFA. Definitely worth the punt, and it's paid off handsomely for the Bengals so far.

At best he's a starting ILB for the next eight to ten years, at worst he's a punk that you cut as soon as he becomes trouble.


Anyway, regarding free agent LBs, I don't like any of them this year. At least, not any of the ones who might actually become free agents, rather than sign new contracts with their existing teams.

Anthony Spencer and Connor Barwin would be worth looking at if they hit the market (but would end up being way too expensive), at OLB. That's about it. No ILBs I'd want to touch with a ten foot barge pole.


I'm of the opinion that when you reach the pinnacle, you never look back. Who knows? Maybe if we sign Burfict, there's a proverbial fly in the ointment. Maybe we don't go on to win the SB. The way the chips fell the way the chips fell and it ended up with us winning the SB. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not saying you're wrong or the discussion is inappropriate. Nothing of the sort. Just giving my thoughts.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
deuces22wild


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 8630
Location: El ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where I should post this but seeing as he is a fa I guess it goes here Very Happy

If Ellerbe does get away from you guys, how well would he play in a 4-3 front? Tampa is looking to possibly move Mason Foster to the strong side leaving a hole in the middle. Also think we will have around $35-40 million in space once everything is all said and done.

Oviously he can get to the qb, stop the run but if he was asked can he cover?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 21443
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
Wasn't sure where I should post this but seeing as he is a fa I guess it goes here Very Happy

If Ellerbe does get away from you guys, how well would he play in a 4-3 front? Tampa is looking to possibly move Mason Foster to the strong side leaving a hole in the middle. Also think we will have around $35-40 million in space once everything is all said and done.

Oviously he can get to the qb, stop the run but if he was asked can he cover?


He can definitely hold his own in coverage.

I'd question his sideline to sideline speed though. Personally, I think his best fit is where he is in a 3-4.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7189
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Ellerbe wasn't being used to drop back in coverage a lot I think he could do fine as a MLB in a 4-3 scheme. He (like a lot of MLBs) is much more effective going forward and attacking the LOS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 995
Location: I'm a machine Jerk!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who was starting at Will and who was starting at Mike in the last two weeks of the season, against New York and Cincinnati?

I know Ellerbe and Bynes were the starters, I just can't remember who lined up where. db424, if you still have NFL Rewind, could you go back and check?

The reason I ask is because the two of them did a very solid job in those two games and I just want to know which position will be the bigger priority in the draft, if we aren't able to resign Ellerbe, Mike or Will. As, if need be, Bynes can play the other spot.

I'd appreciate any and all help.
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20189
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
Does anyone know who was starting at Will and who was starting at Mike in the last two weeks of the season, against New York and Cincinnati?

I know Ellerbe and Bynes were the starters, I just can't remember who lined up where. db424, if you still have NFL Rewind, could you go back and check?

The reason I ask is because the two of them did a very solid job in those two games and I just want to know which position will be the bigger priority in the draft, if we aren't able to resign Ellerbe, Mike or Will. As, if need be, Bynes can play the other spot.

I'd appreciate any and all help.


I'm like 98% sure it was Ellerbe.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7189
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
Does anyone know who was starting at Will and who was starting at Mike in the last two weeks of the season, against New York and Cincinnati?

I know Ellerbe and Bynes were the starters, I just can't remember who lined up where. db424, if you still have NFL Rewind, could you go back and check?

The reason I ask is because the two of them did a very solid job in those two games and I just want to know which position will be the bigger priority in the draft, if we aren't able to resign Ellerbe, Mike or Will. As, if need be, Bynes can play the other spot.

I'd appreciate any and all help.


I'm like 98% sure it was Ellerbe.


Yep. According to the gamebooks from NFL.com Ellerbe started at WILL and Bynes started at MIKE for week 16 and week 17.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55729/BAL_Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55746/CIN_Gamebook.pdf

I wouldn't want the Ravens to be in a position where they would have to rely on Bynes as a starter for the whole season though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group