Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Margus Hunt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niner4ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Margus Hunt Reply with quote

The more I watch the more I like. What you all think

6"8 280 lbs 4.6 40. Bench 225 45 times

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDXIV8LYURsc

Last edited by niner4ever on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more time passes. The more hype he gets it.
And the less I like him Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see him strength more. His highlight reel shows a speed rusher who gets to the quarterback by avoiding contact. That's the opposite of what a 3-4 DL must do. A 3-4 DL must be able to engage and disengage. It seems that when an offensive lineman gets his hands on him, he's taken out of the play. I'd like to see him bullrush, take on two blockers, and still be able to disengage and close in on the ball. I haven't seen that from him. So far, he has only shown to be a speed 4-3 DE.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Italian49erFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I would like to see him strength more. His highlight reel shows a speed rusher who gets to the quarterback by avoiding contact. That's the opposite of what a 3-4 DL must do. A 3-4 DL must be able to engage and disengage. It seems that when an offensive lineman gets his hands on him, he's taken out of the play. I'd like to see him bullrush, take on two blockers, and still be able to disengage and close in on the ball. I haven't seen that from him. So far, he has only shown to be a speed 4-3 DE.

Wow...thank you...this reply of you sort of summarize why I visit this forum so often: being an italian rugby player, fond of football, I definitely do not have this deep analysis ability and this sensitivity about the game...today I have learnt something, and it is not the first time here...I owe you one.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the video linkedin the original post, and Hunt does initiate contact more in there, but still plays with poor technique. His complete physical mismatch should lead to a lot more than just 8 sacks... that's why he's such a bipolar prospect. You'll watch highlights of 2 or 3 games and think he has it all, then you get the whole story when you check the stat line. 15 sacks in 4 years, 8 of those last year. If we trust our coaching staff to get the best out of him, to teach proper technique and leverage, he could be amazing, but he'd still be a risk. I don't know. If we draft him, I'll support the move, because he has the upside and we have great coaches, just like I supported the Culliver pick, because he had the athleticism other corner prospects had, and we had the coaching. We'll see.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I just watched the video linkedin the original post, and Hunt does initiate contact more in there, but still plays with poor technique. His complete physical mismatch should lead to a lot more than just 8 sacks... that's why he's such a bipolar prospect. You'll watch highlights of 2 or 3 games and think he has it all, then you get the whole story when you check the stat line. 15 sacks in 4 years, 8 of those last year. If we trust our coaching staff to get the best out of him, to teach proper technique and leverage, he could be amazing, but he'd still be a risk. I don't know. If we draft him, I'll support the move, because he has the upside and we have great coaches, just like I supported the Culliver pick, because he had the athleticism other corner prospects had, and we had the coaching. We'll see.

If you look at his frame he can clearly carry another 20 pounds easily, and at 4.6 currently he'd still be a super fast d-lineman after gaining that weight. If it happens to be 20 pounds of muscle and the power to go with it, you might have yourself the best d-lineman in the draft. If you look at Justin coming out he was only around 275. As far as technique is concerned you've got to remember how little football he's played growing up. While other guys have come close to maxing out their skills, he's got a lot of room to keep improving with good coaching.

I'm one of those guys who's always looking to find a potential difference maker, not just another warm body to suit up. After the fact you find out who those guys were. But looking over the choices this year there don't appear to me too many of those available at the DE spot. If our staff can look at a DE who gets 10+ sacks and see him as a future FB I trust they can look at Hunt and determine whether he can be a future JJ Watt or Justin Smith. As you say, we'll see.

Last edited by big9erfan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

If you look at his frame he can clearly carry another 20 pounds easily, and at 4.6 currently he'd still be a super fast d-lineman after gaining that weight. If it happens to be 20 pounds of muscle and the power to go with it, you might have yourself the lest d-lineman in the draft. If you look at Justin coming out he was only around 275. As far as technique is concerned you've got to remember how little football he's played growing up. While other guys have come close to maxing out their skills, he's got a lot of room to keep improving with good coaching.

I'm one of those guys who's always looking to find a potential difference maker, not just another warm body to suit up. After the fact you find out who those guys were. But looking over the choices this year there don't appear to me too many of those available at the DE spot. If our staff can look at a DE who gets 10+ sacks and see him as a future FB I trust they can look at Hunt and determine whether he can be a future JJ Watt or Justin Smith. As you say, we'll see.

Heck, Hunt could add on 30lbs easily, if he wanted. He's already very strong. In the video, you can see him one-hand punch the LT to get rid of him, a really powerful move. The question here is about instincts as well. Why is he going to the speed move more often than the power? Why does he appear to sit back when he's engaged and gets taken out of plays. Is it just coaching? Does he actually have physical limitations? He's a bit stiff at times, and maybe he's just too long to be effective lowering the pads.

If he could bulk up to 310 and retain speed, and really learn to use leverage, he could be special, no doubt. But that's already 3 IFs to begin with. I'd trust our management to make that call. If we were to bring him in, it would mean he has the character and work ethic to grow into the special player we want.

neezy007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone more knowledgable than myself tell me if Hunt compares to Mohammed Wilkerson coming out? Is there any similarities?
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
Can someone more knowledgable than myself tell me if Hunt compares to Mohammed Wilkerson coming out? Is there any similarities?

Someone else will have to comment on their style of play but just on simple measurables, Wilkerson was abou 40 pound heavier, and about .3-.4 seconds slower (according to what sites say about Hunt's speed; we'll have to see if he lives up to that at the combine or pro day). He also was raised in another country and was a world class field guy (discuss). Came to US to improve those skills but took up football. So you can look at it two ways - it's impossible to develop great instincts if you don't start young, or he's still learning his craft and will be much better once he learns a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

If you look at his frame he can clearly carry another 20 pounds easily, and at 4.6 currently he'd still be a super fast d-lineman after gaining that weight. If it happens to be 20 pounds of muscle and the power to go with it, you might have yourself the lest d-lineman in the draft. If you look at Justin coming out he was only around 275. As far as technique is concerned you've got to remember how little football he's played growing up. While other guys have come close to maxing out their skills, he's got a lot of room to keep improving with good coaching.

Heck, Hunt could add on 30lbs easily, if he wanted. He's already very strong. In the video, you can see him one-hand punch the LT to get rid of him, a really powerful move. The question here is about instincts as well. Why is he going to the speed move more often than the power? Why does he appear to sit back when he's engaged and gets taken out of plays. Is it just coaching? Does he actually have physical limitations? He's a bit stiff at times, and maybe he's just too long to be effective lowering the pads.

If he could bulk up to 310 and retain speed, and really learn to use leverage, he could be special, no doubt. But that's already 3 IFs to begin with. I'd trust our management to make that call. If we were to bring him in, it would mean he has the character and work ethic to grow into the special player we want.

That's my issue with Hunt. During the Senior Bowl, he looked lost at times, and the line had no problem keeping him in check.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing with Hunt that intrigues me is the problems in his game are easily fixable by proper coaching and we have one of the best D-Line coaches in football.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
The one thing with Hunt that intrigues me is the problems in his game are easily fixable by proper coaching and we have one of the best D-Line coaches in football.

I wouldn't say "easily fixable". He has to change the way he uses his body in order to generate more power. His upper body is not bad, and that's the part of his game that I believe will be the most coachable. It's the lower body part that needs the most work and is, for the most part, an unknown. He gets pushed back so easily, it's not even funny. He has no anchor whatsoever.

Another concern, at his height, could be injuries. These long guys always find a way to get injured.

DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:

I wouldn't say "easily fixable". He has to change the way he uses his body in order to generate more power. His upper body is not bad, and that's the part of his game that I believe will be the most coachable. It's the lower body part that needs the most work and is, for the most part, an unknown. He gets pushed back so easily, it's not even funny. He has no anchor whatsoever.

Another concern, at his height, could be injuries. These long guys always find a way to get injured.

I meant "Easily fixable considering he has the time to be groomed with Justin Smith there".

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:

Playing with better leverage isn't exactly "easily fixable" for a guy whose 6'8". Another reason I really don't like the idea of getting Hunt is he's so raw and already 25. By the time the season rolls around he'll be 26, and this is a guy who might take 2 or 3 years to develop. Yes we have the coaches to get the job done, but do you really wanna draft a guy who might not be any good until he's 30? I know I don't. Old and raw is a bad combo imo.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:

Playing with better leverage isn't exactly "easily fixable" for a guy whose 6'8". Another reason I really don't like the idea of getting Hunt is he's so raw and already 25. By the time the season rolls around he'll be 26, and this is a guy who might take 2 or 3 years to develop. Yes we have the coaches to get the job done, but do you really wanna draft a guy who might not be any good until he's 30? I know I don't. Old and raw is a bad combo imo.

That's a good point. I didn't know he was that old. I guess a lot comes down to how quickly our staff would think he could contribute.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: