Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

incognito_man Mach 4.6 (quickie edition - REVAMPED)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: incognito_man Mach 4.6 (quickie edition - REVAMPED) Reply with quote

DRAFT ONLY
-Receive 2nd for Jennings
-Receive 4th for Flynn
-Woodson is gone
-Restructure Finley for another 3 years (4 total) at about $6million/yr with about $15million guaranteed. Save us about $2.5million in cap this year
-Sign Shields to a 3yr deal worth about $14million

Leaves us with about $6million after EDS is taken care of (or $16million once we deal Jennings).

-Extend Raji for 5 more years, $40million which increases our cap hit only marginally this year (he's on the hook for $6.5million this year)

-Extend Matthews for 4 years, $45million which eats up a chunk of the $16million available (though he's on for $5million this year).

I don't see any big FA signings, so I think after rookies we have about $6million we can roll into next year to help combine with potential losses of maybe Pickett and Tramon to work on giving Rodgers an extension.

DRAFT

TRADE - We trade pick 26 to the KC Chiefs who move up for Glennon. We receive picks 34 and 65.

Round 2 (Chiefs) - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Elite talent who would be much higher if not for his ACL. Great sidelines guy, tentative across the middle - but we have a QB who is a great sidelines thrower. I was VERY impressed by his YAC ability for such a big guy very underrated in that department. Has some concentration issues, but has bonafied #1 ability. With James Jones a free agent after 2013 and Jordy after 2014 and losing Jennings and Driver we use some infusion at the position. Hunter drops and we snatch him up.

Post-ACL highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6GXID2dXk

Round 2 (Miami) - Matt Elam, S, Florida

Starting to get underrated on here. I went back to look at him again after not being sold on him earlier. I came away more impressed this time after watching all the other safeties in the class between viewings. Elite awareness on the field, smart, dedicated football guy. Appears to have the mind to be a S in this fit. Good speed, great instincts and very willing tackler. Brings a personality to the defense we could use. Has experience playing over slot as well.

vs LSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg
vs FSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AYhBZOLJk

Round 2 (Original) - Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State

I think we look to add to the Dline in this draft and Hill is a guy who seems a bit under the radar. After watching him I suspect he will perform well at the combine. I like him or Sylvester Williams around this spot if they're available. Hill doesn't have ideal size, but he's been able to get to the QB increasingly which each year at Penn State. Had a great game against UW.

vs Wisconsin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcbDCuStPs

Round 3 (Chiefs) - Sean Porter, OLB, TAMU

I think we need some depth at OLB and could use some more speed on 3rd downs. Porter posted some huge numbers in 2011 and looked to drop into coverage a LOT this past year. He's not at Von Miller's bendability, but he can catch the edge. Looks decent in coverage as well.

vs Alabama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcH-tZQJtck
vs Ok. St: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUlsnuwLGc

Round 3 (Original) - Christine Michael, RB, TAMU

Will be a staple in my mach's Very Happy. Love him. TT double dips from TAMU.

Round 4 (Original) - J.C. Tretter, OL, Cornell

Classic mid-round TT lineman pick. Played 2 years of LT at Cornell after playing QB and then TE before. Projects inside. Athletic but needs some strength work. Will probably post TT-esque movement numbers. Likely a smart dude.

Round 4 (Comp) - Dwayne Gratz, CB, UConn

Actually jumped out more to me on 'tape' when I was watching Wreh and Trevardo earlier. Nice size, apparently decent ball skills as well. Seems a bit underrated to me.

Round 5 - Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee

Another UT pass-catcher. Liked him earlier in the year and kinda forgot about him, but saw him beat Elam a few times in the cut-up against Florida I was watching Elam in. Nice fluid movements, will challenge for Williams' place on the roster.

Round 6 - Taylor Reed, ILB, SMU

Had him in an earlier mach too. This guy just gets it from what I see. Lotta impact plays. Not ideal size, but looks faster than his listed times. I don't see sluggish feet there. Might end up being a S.T. standout too. Seems like a heady player.

h.l.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSar3maxQoY

Round 7 - Ryan Aplin, QB, Arkansas State

[i]Part of me doesn't really want to draft another QB because I tend to think GB might be a priority destination for free agents anyway, BUT I think Aplin might get drafted later if we don't snatch him up and I like him. Like guys who accurarcy I see go up every year. That was a big reason why I was so high on Kaepernick a few years ago too.

vs FIU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms5Isor_DAQ

Rosta

QB: Rodgers // Coleman
RB: Michael // Green // Harris // Kuhn
WR: Nelson // Cobb // Jones // Hunter // Ross
TE: Finley // Crabtree // Rivera // Taylor (or Q)
OL: Sherrod // Lang // EDS // Sitton // Bulaga // Newhouse // Barclay // Datko // Tretter // Van Roten (or FA center)

DL: Pickett // Raji // Neal // Worthy // Wilson // Daniels // Hill
LB: Perry // Bishop // Hawk // Matthews // Porter // Manning // Moses // Smith // Reed
DB: Shields // Burnett // Elam // Williams // Hayward // McMillian // Bush // House // Gratz

Last edited by incognito_man on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Goodman translate to a 34 end?

Sudfeld is reaaaaaaaaally raw, started out as a DE. Add his six surgeries and I'm not sure I want to touch him. He did have a healthy senior season, and apparently was top ten finalist for the Mackey. Then again we already have a Mackey winner on our bench.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
He can't play against the run and has the body of a 34 OLB more than an end...had me wondering too.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
He can't play against the run and has the body of a 34 OLB more than an end...had me wondering too.

think he can contribute right away from rushing the passer. Has a LONG frame to add weight to over time.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really hate this
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

Sudfeld is reaaaaaaaaally raw, started out as a DE. Add his six surgeries and I'm not sure I want to touch him. He did have a healthy senior season, and apparently was top ten finalist for the Mackey. Then again we already have a Mackey winner on our bench.

yeah, I don't know exactly what surgeries he had. Very well might not get drafted. Just going off his production and ability he showed THIS year. I realize it doesn't capture the entire picture of him, but I don't have any access to that other info so I ignore it. Might be an enormous issue, might be a complete non-issue.
Hinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im assuming we are trading Jennings? Cause if we let him go we get a comp. pick but we wouldn't receive it till next years draft. So I assume you are tag and trading Jennings?

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in an OLB in round one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, this is conceiveable and I know the board dictates to a strong degree but an OLB in round 1 with our other needs? We just drafted Nick Perry for that role. Your pick would give us a push and great depth at OLB, no doubt. I'd like both a true 34 DE who could make serious impact now and a center who could seriously push EDS for the strarting position early above and beyond depth positions. I think those options will be available in rounds 1-3.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Really?

You think Giants fans are disappointed in taking JPP?

Pass rushers are a premium.

This year we lost both Perry and Matthews for a stretch of time. We absolutely could use another talented OLB. Our depth there is pretty poor. Not to mention even with a healthy Perry and Matthews another guy would see plenty of snaps in situational roles.

There's no good reason NOT to take another OLB in round 1 if there's a good one there.

Now, if you don't like Carradine for a particular reason, that's different. But the position is unquestionably one that is worthy of a first round pick.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hinkle wrote:
Im assuming we are trading Jennings? Cause if we let him go we get a comp. pick but we wouldn't receive it till next years draft. So I assume you are tag and trading Jennings?

Yup. Assuming a tag-n-trade.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
I mean, this is conceiveable and I know the board dictates to a strong degree but an OLB in round 1 with our other needs? We just drafted Nick Perry for that role. Your pick would give us a push and great depth at OLB, no doubt. I'd like both a true 34 DE who could make serious impact now and a center who could seriously push EDS for the strarting position early above and beyond depth positions. I think those options will be available in rounds 1-3.

I would be more than happy with a down lineman too. Just don't think there will be one graded as highly as Carradine grades. But if one of the guys slips I would be very happy with that positional pick. There's no center in round 1 I like. I have no issue with EDS being our starter for the future. I think there's more concern with a back-up to him and whether that spot is worth a draft pick or not.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Really?

You think Giants fans are disappointed in taking JPP?

Pass rushers are a premium.

This year we lost both Perry and Matthews for a stretch of time. We absolutely could use another talented OLB. Our depth there is pretty poor. Not to mention even with a healthy Perry and Matthews another guy would see plenty of snaps in situational roles.

There's no good reason NOT to take another OLB in round 1 if there's a good one there.

Now, if you don't like Carradine for a particular reason, that's different. But the position is unquestionably one that is worthy of a first round pick.

Diminishing returns. It makes less sense to take an OLB in round one than an OT. I agree we need depth, we don't need to spend another first when we have obvious other needs. If Jones or Moore fell (not possible) then yeah. Unless you have a really high (top 15) grade on Carradine (have spent almost no time looking at top OLBs this year) then maybe I could see it, but combine this with a DE who doesn't really fit as a 5-tech and I'd throw a fit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Diminishing returns. It makes less sense to take an OLB in round one than an OT. I agree we need depth, we don't need to spend another first when we have obvious other needs. If Jones or Moore fell (not possible) then yeah. Unless you have a really high (top 15) grade on Carradine (have spent almost no time looking at top OLBs this year) then maybe I could see it, but combine this with a DE who doesn't really fit as a 5-tech and I'd throw a fit.

wait...you state 'diminishing returns' and then suggest it makes more sense to take an OT?? whaaaat?

A 3rd OT NEVER sees the field except for injury.
A 3rd OLB will see a LOT of snaps even if there's no injury in front of him.

I don't think you can find anyone else to agree that an OT is better value than another OLB in round 1 this year. That's just crazy talk!
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

wait...you state 'diminishing returns' and then suggest it makes more sense to take an OT?? whaaaat?

A 3rd OT NEVER sees the field except for injury.
A 3rd OLB will see a LOT of snaps even if there's no injury in front of him.

I don't think you can find anyone else to agree that an OT is better value than another OLB in round 1 this year. That's just crazy talk!

I'm saying people have brought it up and at least there are performance concerns there. Perry looked very solid and getting him at 100% this year will be nice to see.

Taking either an OT or OLB in round one is a waste of resources IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: