Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How good is Von Miller at LB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyRx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: How good is Von Miller at LB? Reply with quote

Hello Broncos fans.
Just looking into how well Miller plays in space and how well he plays the run from the LB position.
The Jaguars are looking at drafting a pass rushing LB and I'm tring to understand what to expect from a player if that ilk.
I know not all players play alike but this will help with setting a baseline of what to expect.

Thx for help guys!
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How good is Von Miller at LB? Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
Hello Broncos fans.
Just looking into how well Miller plays in space and how well he plays the run from the LB position.
The Jaguars are looking at drafting a pass rushing LB and I'm tring to understand what to expect from a player if that ilk.
I know not all players play alike but this will help with setting a baseline of what to expect.

Thx for help guys!

Simply put, don't expect a Von Miller, there isn't one in this draft. He's good in every aspect of the game. He's the best player on this defense, by a good margin, and a top 3 defensive player in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How good is Von Miller at LB? Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
MightyRx wrote:
Hello Broncos fans.

Thx for help guys!

Simply put, don't expect a Von Miller, there isn't one in this draft. He's good in every aspect of the game. He's the best player on this defense, by a good margin, and a top 3 defensive player in the league.

Well said. Von Miller is a once in a decade player... We got lucky. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Don't expect to get someone like Von Miller in this year's draft.

Miller is a heck of a linebacker. I would even say he's the best OLB in the league. He rushes the passer, he's great vs the run and is improving a lot in pass coverage. I don't think there's a prospect in this year's class that is even close to Miller's potential.

However, I do think you can get a good prospect with the 2nd overall pick. But I also think you should stay away from Geno Smith.

Personally, I would try to trade down. If there's not a decent trading partner I would go after Joeckel or Werner if he has a good combine. I would go for the franchise LT first though, this class is deep in pass rushers.
Cruzp23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a some1 as good as von miller on defense your going to have to wait until next year to try get jadeveon!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't beat a dead horse....but there is no Von in this draft.

However, if you're looking for a player like that, it's rare that they'll be a 100% complete player. Even Von struggles in some aspects of his game from time to time. I would expect that an impact OLB coming out will realistically be pretty good in pass and run coverage, but won't touch Von's pass rushing skills.

Thanks, Tzimisce
MightyRx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents!

There are a couple guys that have potential and with the new scheme Bradley wants to run, I was intrigued about the prospects of acquiring a pass rushing LB that might be required to play Sam as well as DE.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones is the only player in this draft with the ability to be compared to Von Miller. Jones doesnt have the athleticism that Miller has but he does offer many of the same traits as Miller (i.e. pass rushing, coverage abilities). I would say if you are focused on making your defense better, hope Jones slips.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF just tweeted that Von Miller missed exactly ONE tackle this year, and the average distance of his tackles from the LOS was 0.5 yards.

That's absurd.

Thanks, Tzimisce
sandiegoraider1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Jarvis Jones is the only player in this draft with the ability to be compared to Von Miller. Jones doesnt have the athleticism that Miller has but he does offer many of the same traits as Miller (i.e. pass rushing, coverage abilities). I would say if you are focused on making your defense better, hope Jones slips.

I wouldn't say his coverage is horrid or anything and considering how good his pass rushing/run stopping is its pretty good (few other players in the NFL can do all 3 as well as he) but hes pretty mediocre in coverage. He has a good combination of the 3 but hes not anything remotely special in coverage, yet at least.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandiegoraider1 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

I wouldn't say his coverage is horrid or anything and considering how good his pass rushing/run stopping is its pretty good (few other players in the NFL can do all 3 as well as he) but hes pretty mediocre in coverage. He has a good combination of the 3 but hes not anything remotely special in coverage, yet at least.

I never said he was anything special. Please re-read what I said.

What I said was that Jones isnt anywhere compared to Miller. If Miller is average then Jones is below-average. Jones does not compare to Miller in either pass rushing or coverage, yet. He has the ability though. Von Millers elite athleticism and flexibility is what separates him from others.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingo has added 10 pounds to his season weight and has been working on his coverage skills. Perhaps he can round himself into the poor man's Miller of this year's draft. Combine and private workouts should provide clarification here.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who watched could re-watch games or focus more on Miller may be able to correct me if i am wrong. Off of what i saw Miller wasn't used a whole lot in coverage. He was almost exclusively placed near the LOS and used to rush the passer or stop the run.

As far as players that can provide the impact that Miller provided from day 1 i agree with almost everyone. There isn't a player in this draft that holds Miller's jock strap as a prospect. Now, the best physical comparison i can find is Barkevious Mingo. He has similar size and athletic ability to Miller. Though, at this stage he is a developmental pick who, from the 3 games of LSU i have seen, lacks the killer instinct and physicality to be a difference maker.

Further, i think undersized rush LB's could become a trend for 4/3 teams. Not that teams haven't tried or obtained similar players in the past, but at least on FootballsFuture, few people thought Miller was a legitimate possibility for the Broncos. Most thought he was too small to play DE and thus was a 3/4 OLB. Denver has shown that through proper utilization of such players they can make impacts even in the 4/3 and i think that may have opened up the door for 4/3 teams to look at these types of players as legitimate options in their scheme.
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely becoming more common to use the SAM linebacker spot in a 4-3 as almost an exclusive pass rusher. The raiders did effectively a few years back with Kamerion Wimbley, the Giants would do it with Kiwanuka, Redskins with Orakpo, and now Von's doing it better than anyone.

That SAM spots definitely evolving with the way football has become more pass oriented. Running a 4-3 and having a 3rd talented pass rusher may otherwise only be a nickel pass rusher is becoming a, we need to get that extra pass rusher out there, here's his place type deal.

Seeing Von utilized how he has been in this D has made the 4-3 a lot more exciting to watch... But any d with a aged like Von is exciting to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres one for you guys. If Von Miller were drafted where Aldon Smith was, would Michael Strahans sack record have fallen by now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: