Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers hire Richard Mann as WR coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Steelers hire Richard Mann as WR coach Reply with quote

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-hire-richard-mann-to-be-next-wide-receivers-coach/

Quote:
According to Bob Labriola on Twitter, the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired Richard Mann to be their next wide receivers coach

I don't know how I feel about a coach who has been out of the NFL for a couple years.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Either Tomlin knew Mann was his guy before the conversation or Mann knocked the ball out of the park during the talk because the Steelers just announced Mannís hiring for that job.

Tomlin and Mann were on the same staff in Tampa from 2002 to 2005 and Mann served as the Bucsí wide receivers coach from 2002-2009. He was also the teamís assistant head coach in 2009, but left the team after that season and has not coached in the NFL since then. Mann, who is 65, also coached the wideouts for five other NFL teams between 1982 and 2000, including a lengthy stint in Cleveland in the late 80′s and early 90′s.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/13/steelers-hire-richard-mann-as-their-new-head-coach/

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
green24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Quote:
Either Tomlin knew Mann was his guy before the conversation or Mann knocked the ball out of the park during the talk because the Steelers just announced Mannís hiring for that job.

Tomlin and Mann were on the same staff in Tampa from 2002 to 2005 and Mann served as the Bucsí wide receivers coach from 2002-2009. He was also the teamís assistant head coach in 2009, but left the team after that season and has not coached in the NFL since then. Mann, who is 65, also coached the wideouts for five other NFL teams between 1982 and 2000, including a lengthy stint in Cleveland in the late 80′s and early 90′s.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/13/steelers-hire-richard-mann-as-their-new-head-coach/

What's with that url?

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
What's with that url?

Laughing

Great question!

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1ck Mann....can't hurt having one on staff I guess.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Laughing

I had a friend growing up and his last name was Lis.

His dad's first name was Richard.

He was an angry man. Rightfully so.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Laughing

Laughing

What grudge did his dad hold against him when he was a baby??
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Laughing

Laughing

What grudge did his dad hold against him when he was a baby??

Haha...when I was a kid I never knew D1ck was short for Richard.

Didnt find that out until years later....whereupon I laughed uncontrollably, but I felt bad about it if that counts for anything.

ANYWAY, back on topic.

Not sure what to make of this hire. Just one of those "wait and see" type of deals.

All I know is that our WRs cant be worse than they were in 2012.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is info via profootballtalk on nbcsports.

"Tomlin and Mann were on the same staff in Tampa from 2002 to 2005 and Mann served as the Bucsí wide receivers coach from 2002-2009. He was also the teamís assistant head coach in 2009, but left the team after that season and has not coached in the NFL since then. Mann, who is 65, also coached the wideouts for five other NFL teams between 1982 and 2000, including a lengthy stint in Cleveland in the late 80′s and early 90′s."

In 2002, one thing i remember is that they had issues at QB, Brad Johnson was their starting quarterback. The highlights of their receiving Corps were Keenan McCardell, Keyshawn Johnson, & Joe Jurevicius.

In 2002 the unit combined for 174 Receptions, 2181 yards (K.J was a 1000 yd receiver that season), & 15 TDs.

In 2003 the unit combined for 141 Receptions, 1889 Receptions, & 13 TDs. (McCardell was a 1,000 yd receiver that season) *QB - Brad Johnson*

Actually the highlight of their team was Michael Alstott & Michael Pittman and that nasty defense.

In 2004 Michael Clayton & Joey Galloway arrived, J.J. remained, Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson left. The unit combined for 140 Receptions, 1942 yards (Michael Clayton was a 1000 yard receiver that season), & 14 Tds. *QB - Brian Griese*

In 2005-2007 Joey Galloway was their 1,000 yard receiver. In 2008 it was Antonio Bryant. *QB's - Brian Griese(backup), Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia (in that order)*

2009 was the only year during Mann's tenure that they did not have a 1,000 yard receiver. *QB - Josh Freeman*

In terms of skill sets I'd compare Bryant, Galloway, McCardell, Jurevicius, & Clayton closer to that of Antonio Brown than Mike Wallace. each of them came with age, were not blazing fast, but had reliable hands. Antonio Brown is young, not blazing fast and has reliable hands.

Personally, based solely on receiving stats, I like the hire, it seems that when they have quality receivers, the team did well in that regard. I don't see anything that sticks out to me based purely on receiving stats, that says it's a bad hire.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adds like this worry me about Tomlin. Here is a guy that has been out of work for 3 years. Perhaps he really wanted to retire and did not interview or he was not getting interviews for some reason. We will find out. I'm surprised Haley did not have a candidate.

What I'm worried about is Tomlin not knowing people to hire. Cowher was fairly amazing in the network of coaches he knew to promote to positions. Tomlin is not showing anything like that. It is almost the opposite.

Edit: I've read some more stuff on him so I will wait until September to reevaluate. Seems like a real teacher for WR.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside to Tomlin so far has been his hires. Almost everyone who leaves/fired has been a person who he hired.
GreasyApples

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the hire at all. Coached receivers since the 80s, that at least tells me he's plenty experienced. And check this out:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/13/3986100/steelers-hire-richard-mann-as-new-receivers-coach

Behind The Steel Curtain wrote:
Since his time with Tampa Bay, Mann has been working with players preparing to enter the professional game through the NFL draft

So, in a sense, he really hasn't been out of football like a lot of us assumed.

Props to mike23md!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
The downside to Tomlin so far has been his hires. Almost everyone who leaves/fired has been a person who he hired.

First off, you cant blame him for people who have left for new jobs. Thats just silly.

Secondly, while Im not saying Tomlin's hires have been perfect, he deserves credit for not cleaning house when he got here and retaining quality coaches from Cowhers staff.

In reality, outside of our OLine coaches and ST coaches, what bad hires has he made?

Keep in mind that our STs under Cowher were never that good either, and that Russ Grimm was always laughably overrated and his only claim to fame at all was Alan Faneca, who he leaned on his entire time here. We havent had an OLine anchor of that caliber since he left.

And while I like Whiz as an OC a bit better than Arians, who was our offense better under?

Tomlin doesnt have the hiring record that Cowher has, but people are making this out to be a much bigger deal than it is. Tomln has retained much of Cowhers staff, and should get credit for that.

And people are dwelling on the bad hires. Randy Fitchner has not been a bad hire. We had several quality receivers develop under him and Ben has been fine was he has been QB coach. Scotty Montgomery wasnt bad until this year.

And lest we forget....Carnell Lake?

Maybe his coaching tree isnt as amazing, but you guys are blowing it out of proportion.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better question is who were his hires? Ariens was not. LeBeau was not. Kruger? Not sure but I think not. Haley and perhaps Al Everest are one of the few.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
A better question is who were his hires? Ariens was not. LeBeau was not. Kruger? Not sure but I think not. Haley and perhaps Al Everest are one of the few.

Carnell Lake, Randy Fitchner and a few others.

Also, while Arains wasnt his hire, he did promote him to OC.

And like I said, not sure how you can put Tomlin down for retaining quality coaches. He took over a winning franchise. Why would he make sweeping changes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: