Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chewing on some Valentine's Day Gerharts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HighHopes


Moderator
Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 27022
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I don't like him as a backup. Much rather have a scat back who can catch, but I can live with him until his contract runs out.
_________________
XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 13834
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I dont think Gerhart could get a 4th rounder.


Yeah, thats where I stand. I'd like to trade him, but we aren't going to get much back.

If we do trade him though, a team would be getting a young RB without much wear and tear on him at all. He's a solid 3rd down back. He has good hands and good vision. He isn't very fast or elusive. But, he pound a defense, when he isn't running STRAIGHT up.

I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.
_________________

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4753
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
I dont think Gerhart could get a 4th rounder.


Yeah, thats where I stand. I'd like to trade him, but we aren't going to get much back.

If we do trade him though, a team would be getting a young RB without much wear and tear on him at all. He's a solid 3rd down back. He has good hands and good vision. He isn't very fast or elusive. But, he pound a defense, when he isn't running STRAIGHT up.

I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.


Yep we're not going to get much for him in a trade.
We know what we're getting from him on the field/practice.
Its sometimes hard for young guys sitting behind top notch players for an extended period to stay quiet and just be professional, and he has done just that, regardless of what he could/couldnt do on another team with potentially more opportunity.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22258
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.


While I understand the theory behind it, I can live with Gerhart for another year and then letting him walk. I don't see the point in trading him for anything. Furthermore, even if they do move to a scat-back type, I don't see the point in signing Stephens-Howling. There will be guys available in the draft that can fill that role.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Worm Guts


Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Posts: 841
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
he's not worth much to the team, but he is worth even less in a trade. might as well keep him.

trading a 2nd and 3rd for Gerhart was a complete joke. an absolute desperation move by Childress to try to save his job.


We had just gone to the NFC championship, I don't think Childress was feeling that he desperately needed to save his job. Was this even his call? It's not like he had full control over personnel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meixdaddy_10


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 587
Location: Mankato, MN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
I dont think Gerhart could get a 4th rounder.


Yeah, thats where I stand. I'd like to trade him, but we aren't going to get much back.

If we do trade him though, a team would be getting a young RB without much wear and tear on him at all. He's a solid 3rd down back. He has good hands and good vision. He isn't very fast or elusive. But, he pound a defense, when he isn't running STRAIGHT up.

I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.


Theres no need for a new 3rd rb unless that rb is going to take over full time kick return and punt return duties.

Asiata may not be a great rb in terms of production but he gives us special teams value and that is all we need in a 3rd rb. Plus hes cheap.

Im assuming thats why Todman didnt get the 3rd rb position last year. He wasnt going to give much in special teams value so why keep him. I loved his speed and he would have been a good scat back type that you wanted though
_________________
AD is hotter than Madonna in a pointy bra!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SemperFeist


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 688
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
he's not worth much to the team, but he is worth even less in a trade. might as well keep him.

trading a 2nd and 3rd for Gerhart was a complete joke. an absolute desperation move by Childress to try to save his job.


We had just gone to the NFC championship, I don't think Childress was feeling that he desperately needed to save his job. Was this even his call? It's not like he had full control over personnel.

Childress had final say over all personnel and roster decisions. So, while Spielman may have been responsible for the trade, it was Childress' decision on who to draft.

I will say that it wasn't a move to try and save his job, but it was a short sighted move. Childress got so focused on "winning now", that he failed to draft and continue to build a solid roster. In the last two years he was here, he started drafting for need and players to simply try and replace others he lost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 72771
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Childress had final say over all personnel and roster decisions. So, while Spielman may have been responsible for the trade, it was Childress' decision on who to draft.

i think you have that exactly backwards.

during the Triangle years, it was Spielman who had the final say, if there was disagreement, on who to draft.

nor did Childress have final say over all personnel changes. that's what got him fired - that he cut Moss without consulting the other Triangle corners.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 23960
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Childress had full roster control.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Worm Guts


Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Posts: 841
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was never my impression, or at least it was never my impression he controlled the draft.

If Childress had all the control then what was the triangle of authority all about?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 23960
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
That was never my impression, or at least it was never my impression he controlled the draft.

If Childress had all the control then what was the triangle of authority all about?

He didn't control the draft.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6375
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
Childress had final say over all personnel and roster decisions. So, while Spielman may have been responsible for the trade, it was Childress' decision on who to draft.

i think you have that exactly backwards.

during the Triangle years, it was Spielman who had the final say, if there was disagreement, on who to draft.

nor did Childress have final say over all personnel changes. that's what got him fired - that he cut Moss without consulting the other Triangle corners.


One of the more intriguing facets of the Randy Moss debacle had to do with how the player actually ended up on the roster in the first place.

As with most teams, the Vikings have a general manager (Rick Spielman) who is in charge of personnel, the signing, trading and drafting of players. But the Vikings have an unusual set of checks and balances where head coach Brad Childress has final say on the makeup of the 53-man roster. Call it final veto power, if you will.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/11/05/breaking-the-triangle-vikes-disagree-on-moss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eastern Walrus


Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 3147
Location: on safari
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with using Toby for one more year, but if a team comes knocking on the door on trade day and we can get another back lets do it!
_________________
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22258
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
That was never my impression, or at least it was never my impression he controlled the draft.

If Childress had all the control then what was the triangle of authority all about?

He didn't control the draft.


That's correct. Childress didn't control the draft (he had a say certainly, however), but Childress did have final say over the 53-man roster (which Frazier now does not have).
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
byuvike88


Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 872
Location: Shelley Idaho
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the kind of teammate Gerhart is. He is a very talented back and i think his career will turn out very similar to Michael Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group