Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chewing on some Valentine's Day Gerharts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighHopes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I don't like him as a backup. Much rather have a scat back who can catch, but I can live with him until his contract runs out.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I dont think Gerhart could get a 4th rounder.

Yeah, thats where I stand. I'd like to trade him, but we aren't going to get much back.

If we do trade him though, a team would be getting a young RB without much wear and tear on him at all. He's a solid 3rd down back. He has good hands and good vision. He isn't very fast or elusive. But, he pound a defense, when he isn't running STRAIGHT up.

I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Yeah, thats where I stand. I'd like to trade him, but we aren't going to get much back.

If we do trade him though, a team would be getting a young RB without much wear and tear on him at all. He's a solid 3rd down back. He has good hands and good vision. He isn't very fast or elusive. But, he pound a defense, when he isn't running STRAIGHT up.

I don't care for him much at all. I'm guessing we'll just keep him this year, but I'd still like to pick up someone like LaRod Stephens Howling to be the scatback type.

Yep we're not going to get much for him in a trade.
We know what we're getting from him on the field/practice.
Its sometimes hard for young guys sitting behind top notch players for an extended period to stay quiet and just be professional, and he has done just that, regardless of what he could/couldnt do on another team with potentially more opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

While I understand the theory behind it, I can live with Gerhart for another year and then letting him walk. I don't see the point in trading him for anything. Furthermore, even if they do move to a scat-back type, I don't see the point in signing Stephens-Howling. There will be guys available in the draft that can fill that role.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
he's not worth much to the team, but he is worth even less in a trade. might as well keep him.

trading a 2nd and 3rd for Gerhart was a complete joke. an absolute desperation move by Childress to try to save his job.

We had just gone to the NFC championship, I don't think Childress was feeling that he desperately needed to save his job. Was this even his call? It's not like he had full control over personnel.
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Theres no need for a new 3rd rb unless that rb is going to take over full time kick return and punt return duties.

Asiata may not be a great rb in terms of production but he gives us special teams value and that is all we need in a 3rd rb. Plus hes cheap.

Im assuming thats why Todman didnt get the 3rd rb position last year. He wasnt going to give much in special teams value so why keep him. I loved his speed and he would have been a good scat back type that you wanted though
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
he's not worth much to the team, but he is worth even less in a trade. might as well keep him.

trading a 2nd and 3rd for Gerhart was a complete joke. an absolute desperation move by Childress to try to save his job.

We had just gone to the NFC championship, I don't think Childress was feeling that he desperately needed to save his job. Was this even his call? It's not like he had full control over personnel.

Childress had final say over all personnel and roster decisions. So, while Spielman may have been responsible for the trade, it was Childress' decision on who to draft.

I will say that it wasn't a move to try and save his job, but it was a short sighted move. Childress got so focused on "winning now", that he failed to draft and continue to build a solid roster. In the last two years he was here, he started drafting for need and players to simply try and replace others he lost.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Childress had final say over all personnel and roster decisions. So, while Spielman may have been responsible for the trade, it was Childress' decision on who to draft.

i think you have that exactly backwards.

during the Triangle years, it was Spielman who had the final say, if there was disagreement, on who to draft.

nor did Childress have final say over all personnel changes. that's what got him fired - that he cut Moss without consulting the other Triangle corners.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Childress had full roster control.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was never my impression, or at least it was never my impression he controlled the draft.

If Childress had all the control then what was the triangle of authority all about?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
That was never my impression, or at least it was never my impression he controlled the draft.

If Childress had all the control then what was the triangle of authority all about?

He didn't control the draft.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

i think you have that exactly backwards.

during the Triangle years, it was Spielman who had the final say, if there was disagreement, on who to draft.

nor did Childress have final say over all personnel changes. that's what got him fired - that he cut Moss without consulting the other Triangle corners.

One of the more intriguing facets of the Randy Moss debacle had to do with how the player actually ended up on the roster in the first place.

As with most teams, the Vikings have a general manager (Rick Spielman) who is in charge of personnel, the signing, trading and drafting of players. But the Vikings have an unusual set of checks and balances where head coach Brad Childress has final say on the makeup of the 53-man roster. Call it final veto power, if you will.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/11/05/breaking-the-triangle-vikes-disagree-on-moss
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with using Toby for one more year, but if a team comes knocking on the door on trade day and we can get another back lets do it!
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

He didn't control the draft.

That's correct. Childress didn't control the draft (he had a say certainly, however), but Childress did have final say over the 53-man roster (which Frazier now does not have).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
byuvike88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the kind of teammate Gerhart is. He is a very talented back and i think his career will turn out very similar to Michael Turner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: