Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chewing on some Valentine's Day Gerharts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Chewing on some Valentine's Day Gerharts Reply with quote

I'm going to separate out this discussion from the VNCs mock, since it seems to have dominated that thread, and probably warrants its own now.

What are your thoughts on Gerhart? What's his value to the franchise? Should he be traded? Should he re-signed? Should they keep him this year and let him walk?

Fire away.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade him to a RB needy team for a 3rd or 4th; I bet the Colts would like him

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is trading a mid round pick for a backup RB. It just doesnt happen. At best, MN could get a 6th rd pick.

Gerhart offers this team very little as a backup unless he gets to start. Gerhart simply is not a good player to come in for 2-5 carries per game, which is what the Vikings truly need.

Gerhart is a solid receiver, and a decent blocker, but MN needs to replace him. It isnt a big need, I just see no future for Gerhart in MN.

He will ride out his rookie contract and sign with another team in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep him.

Gerhart offers more value to the Vikings as a backup, than anything he could generate via trade.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can combine him with a pick to move up, I'd do that. But I don't think on his own he returns much. I think teams under-estimate him, and that he will be successful after he leaves here.

So, keep him, unless you can deal him and a 3rd for a 2nd, or something like that.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJpillz317 wrote:

We definitely couldnt get that for him. Some are saying we would only get a 3rd for Percy so there is no way we would get a mid round for Gerhart. Im guessing anywhere between a 5th and 7th.

Agreeing again with steelking in my mock thread. I think it would be better off if we had more of a scat back. Toby just doenst do much for this team. It was a waste of a second round pick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
DJpillz317 wrote:

We definitely couldnt get that for him. Some are saying we would only get a 3rd for Percy so there is no way we would get a mid round for Gerhart. Im guessing anywhere between a 5th and 7th.

Agreeing again with steelking in my mock thread. I think it would be better off if we had more of a scat back. Toby just doenst do much for this team. It was a waste of a second round pick.

A waste of a 2nd AND 3rd rd pick. It was a completely short sighed move back in 2010. The 2010 draft was truly a huge one in terms of adding more youth to the team (at key spots like DB, OL and WR), but the Vikings failed miserably and Childress got fired for it.

Instead, they were so focused on the present time instead of the future, they thought it was ideal to add a backup RB with two early picks, despite Adrian Peterson being on the roster.

I was a huge fan of Morgan Burnett and Jon Asamoah in that draft, wanted either of those two in round 2 and looking back, that is essentially one more solid starter that we could have had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse the previous post from VR......
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just never understood what the intention or what is the intention of Gerhart going forward. He wont be traded, and will likely leave the team after his deal is up. I just never understood this.

I actually dont think he would be a terrible starter, he played well when he could be the feature back when Peterson went down but his ability to come in off the bench and produce just hasnt been ideal.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gerhart with the 49ers or Colts in a year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I just never understood what the intention or what is the intention of Gerhart going forward. He wont be traded, and will likely leave the team after his deal is up. I just never understood this.

I actually dont think he would be a terrible starter, he played well when he could be the feature back when Peterson went down but his ability to come in off the bench and produce just hasnt been ideal.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Gerhart with the 49ers or Colts in a year.

Yep. Toby is the kind of back that wears down a defense over time and then starts to chew up yards, but he needs a fair amount of reps to find the right rhythm and holes. He's not the type of back you can give 3 carries in the first half and expect anything out of.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Gerhart could get a 4th rounder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with letting him play to the middle of the season, and then if we can get a fifth for him, take it, if not, he can walk, it is like Harvin, Harvin after this upcoming year probably gets us a third round comp pick, Gerhart probably would net us a 5th round comp pick, so I'm okay with letting both of them walk at the end of the year if need be.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
I'm fine with letting him play to the middle of the season, and then if we can get a fifth for him, take it, if not, he can walk, it is like Harvin, Harvin after this upcoming year probably gets us a third round comp pick, Gerhart probably would net us a 5th round comp pick, so I'm okay with letting both of them walk at the end of the year if need be.

Gerhart wouldnt net this team a 5th rd comp pick.

I just dont see a team offering significant enough compensation that would warrant the Vikings receiving a comp pick. That would imply he signs a multi year contract worth maybe $3-4M per year. I guess i dont see an NFL starting RB in Gerhart and he has shown he isnt a particularly strong backup (unless he can start a few games in relief).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's not worth much to the team, but he is worth even less in a trade. might as well keep him.

trading a 2nd and 3rd for Gerhart was a complete joke. an absolute desperation move by Childress to try to save his job.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gerhart more than most around here. No denying picking a RB in the 2nd round with Peterson entrenched was bad value. Gerhart is a good all-around back, and excels where Peterson struggles, in pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield. He has also shown he can shoulder the load if needed and that is valuable for a team that runs the ball like the Vikings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: