You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How does a team prove that it is the best in the league?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 66, 67, 68  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperBowl=best wrote:
It's not just a 4 game win streak. It's the defining tournament of the season. If you don't win the SB, you can't call yourself the best team. Your list has teams who lost when it mattered most. Greatness is defined by winning in the playoffs.

It's no different than any other 4 game win streak, except the teams faced will probably be better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
As far as the question at hand: I'm old school. You win the SB, you're the best team in the NFL. To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Right now, the Ravens are the man.

That's how I feel too.
That's how I feel 3.

And it's not about being old-school. It's about knowing what the purpose of this league is.

The Super Bowl isn't about deciding what team is the best.

It's about crowning a champion in a way that maximizes interest and profits.

Well what's your more sensible, less greedy method of crowning a champion?
SuperBowl=best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
As far as the question at hand: I'm old school. You win the SB, you're the best team in the NFL. To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Right now, the Ravens are the man.

That's how I feel too.
That's how I feel 3.

And it's not about being old-school. It's about knowing what the purpose of this league is.

Actually it is about deciding which team is best. When the 2 different leagues had champions in the 60s, they wanted to come up with a way to decide who was the best between the 2 champions. Thus, the Super Bowl was born.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Only way to confirm is to win the most games in Regular season and then win the Superbowl, everyone else is controversial

I agree. Its a combo of regular season domination plus the SB win. You have both of those, there is little doubt you were the best team. You kick butt in the regular season but blow it in the post season you leave questions. You play so-so in the regular season but pull it out in the post season, you leave questions. You manage to do both and nobody can question your legitimate claim to best in the NFL.

7DnBrnc53-"Brady is the perfect QB for Belichick: Someone who isn't very talented, but is a good leader and can play well in the structure of his offense."
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

That's how I feel too.
That's how I feel 3.

Well, the best way to determine the true best team in the league would probably be a round robin format, but that's unrealistic because there are too many games.

The point is, the single elimination playoff format doesn't determine the best team more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
It's not just a 4 game win streak. It's the defining tournament of the season. If you don't win the SB, you can't call yourself the best team. Your list has teams who lost when it mattered most. Greatness is defined by winning in the playoffs.

It's no different than any other 4 game win streak, except the teams faced will probably be better.
How can you call yourself a fan and say this? Really? Really??

You're like those wives who tell their husbands on SB Sunday "Oh you can watch a game every week, what's the big deal".

A 4-game playoff win streak is absolutely different from a regular season win streak. Like orders of magnitude different.

WOW. Some people here are novices to this game.
SuperBowl=best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

That's how I feel too.
That's how I feel 3.

Well, the best way to determine the true best team in the league would probably be a round robin format, but that's unrealistic because there are too many games.

The point is, the single elimination playoff format doesn't determine the best team more often than not.
Well, in a round robin, eliminated teams may not give full effort as they play out the string. So that format is flawed as well.

Head-to-head for all the marbles is an acceptable way of deciding who is best. And very exciting.
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Denny Green:
Quote:
You play to win the game!

Herm Edwards?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperBowl=best wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:

You're like those wives who tell their husbands on SB Sunday "Oh you can watch a game every week, what's the big deal".

A 4-game playoff win streak is absolutely different from a regular season win streak. Like orders of magnitude different.

You're right. I forgot how players choose to lose games just because it's the regular season.

When the Ravens lost to Charlie Batch and the Steelers, they were probably thinking, "why bother trying to win here? It's not the playoffs" right? That's the reason they lost. Not because the Steelers outplayed them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperBowl=best wrote:
[Well, in a round robin, eliminated teams may not give full effort as they play out the string. So that format is flawed as well.

Only because in a franchise system, there is no incentive to finishing second.

SuperBowl=best wrote:
Head-to-head for all the marbles is an acceptable way of deciding who is best. And very exciting.

Exciting? Sure, acceptable way of deciding who is best? No.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeker wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Denny Green:
Quote:
You play to win the game!

Herm Edwards?

Quite possibly. I don't feel like looking it up right now.
SuperBowl=best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:

You're right. I forgot how players choose to lose games just because it's the regular season.

When the Ravens lost to Charlie Batch and the Steelers, they were probably thinking, "why bother trying to win here? It's not the playoffs" right? That's the reason they lost. Not because the Steelers outplayed them.
They don't choose to lose games, but they definitely don't go into them with the mega-intensity of the playoffs. You cannot compare. When has a team been absolutely crushed by a reg season defeat, unless it eliminated them from the playoffs?
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Tom Shean wrote:
SuperBowl=best wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

That's how I feel too.
That's how I feel 3.

Its not always whos the best, but who is the most mentally tough and which team can fight through adversity. Sure its easy to play in the regular season where if you lose a game its not a big deal, but its much tougher to play win or go home mode, with a chance to play for a title on the line. IMO the Super Bowl format doesnt neccessarily decide whos the best, but whos the toughest and most resiliant which i feel are just as important.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best team in year vs Super Bowl winner:
2012: 49ers, Ravens
Debateable.

2011: Packers, Giants
Packers had one of the easiest schedules. Giants had one of the hardest. Which accounts or the difference in regular season games. To a degree. But I will concede this one.

2010: Patriots, Packers
Again, NE was the best team in the NFL. They had a very tough schedule and still pulled out 14 wins. Just fell short. Again.

2009: Saints, Saints
Would give it to the Saints because of schedules and the fact they won the SB, beating the Colts.

2008: Steelers, Steelers
Steelers had a far tougher schedule. Landed one game behind the Titans. Won the SB while the Titans shriveled in the first rd.

2007: Patriots, Giants
A given. The Giants had the tougher schedule, but that doesnt make up for shattered records and (near) perfect seasons. The best team clearly didnt win that season.

2006: Colts, Colts
Colts had a much more difficult schedule (SD was tied for 5th easiest schedule in the NFL)

2005: Steelers, Steelers
Steelers had the tougher schedule and beat the Colts in the playoffs en route to a SB victory. The Steelers were the best team that season.

7DnBrnc53-"Brady is the perfect QB for Belichick: Someone who isn't very talented, but is a good leader and can play well in the structure of his offense."
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Best team in year vs Super Bowl winner:
2012: 49ers, Ravens
Debateable.

2011: Packers, Giants
Packers had one of the easiest schedules. Giants had one of the hardest. Which accounts or the difference in regular season games. To a degree. But I will concede this one.

2010: Patriots, Packers
Again, NE was the best team in the NFL. They had a very tough schedule and still pulled out 14 wins. Just fell short. Again.

2009: Saints, Saints
Would give it to the Saints because of schedules and the fact they won the SB, beating the Colts.

2008: Steelers, Steelers
Steelers had a far tougher schedule. Landed one game behind the Titans. Won the SB while the Titans shriveled in the first rd.

2007: Patriots, Giants
A given. The Giants had the tougher schedule, but that doesnt make up for shattered records and (near) perfect seasons. The best team clearly didnt win that season.

2006: Colts, Colts
Colts had a much more difficult schedule (SD was tied for 5th easiest schedule in the NFL)

2005: Steelers, Steelers
Steelers had the tougher schedule and beat the Colts in the playoffs en route to a SB victory. The Steelers were the best team that season.

The thing is, with a renewed Aaron Rodgers at the helm and a top 5 defense, I'd say we were better in the playoffs. Rodgers was out of his mind that playoff stretch and it has carried over that past 2 seasons, not to mention we had somewhat of a running game with James Starks back there.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 2 of 68

Jump to: