Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

B-More_2011's Pre-Combine Offseason and Draft Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: B-More_2011's Pre-Combine Offseason and Draft Mock Reply with quote

Well, we did it. Super Bowl champs sounds so sweet. Of all the Ravens teams coached under John Harbaugh, I really never thought that the 2012 Ravens would the first ones to win the Lobardi trophy. But though we ended up winning it all in the end with help of Ray's last ride and Joe's historic postseason, this year should be an eye opener to all of us fans that this team is about to go through a major makeover.

Now I'll take a Super Bowl win over losing Kruger or Cary Williams without losing any sleep, but I can't even fathom the idea of Ed Reed playing for another team, let alone New England. I just don't see it happening. With that being said, here's my early mock before the combine. I should be posting one per month leading up to the draft with team updates included. Right now this is more of a crapshoot, and maybe even being hopeful, but at the same time trying to be logical. So here it goes.

Let me just throw a little Sports Philosophy at you guys before reading this. Not a lot of people, analysts, whatever, haven't really taken into perspective that there are some veterans on here who just won their FIRST Super Bowl. Do you really think money is the first thing on their minds right now? I bet Reed, Boldin, and Birk are more worried about what Flacco's going to get to see if they can even come back to this team. When you get to their age (30 and up) you've already made more money than you're ever going to make again playing football, and now they're on a quest for a second ring. Ravens fans, if there's one thing
I can say about some of our free agents and cap casualties, it's that they love the city of Baltimore and would do anything for this city. Don't you think Ed Reed would want to finish his career in Baltimore like Ray did? Going out on top as the best to ever play your position? I don't buy into speculation, I'm an Interactionalist and I take into perspective of what goes through the heads of pro athletes when they're contracts are up.

Now Kruger, Williams, Ellerbe, they're young, and don't have that kind of legacy here. Especially in Kruger and Ellerbe's case, name one LB that was great for the Ravens and left once somebody offered a better contract... exactly. I understand the problem at hand but I think we need to stop believeing the hype for a change, and turn off ESPN and First Take. For God skaes, now they're trying to say we should cut Flacco? Sorry I don't trust anybody who's stupid enough to say we should our Super Bowl MVP QB so we can re-sign some smaller pieces. I trust this organization enough to where I know they'll rise above any situation. But think about guys like Kobe Bryant and Derek Jeter. Two wiley old veterans who have seen better days and even more so, better pay days. They don't care about money anymore, they just want to win. Ed and Anquan have a ring now, I think they're here for the long-haul.

One last note, than on the mock, Ray taught this group a lot during his tenure. He taught them to be true to themselves and to never give up. No weapon formed against us shall prosper, right? Well he also showed these guys, even the coaches, about loyalty and respect. Baltimore's a different town from New York, Boston and all the media crazy places. These guys love to be here and the fans love them. I think we're going to learn a LOT from some of our guys this offseason, and frankly, whatever happens, happens. With that being said, here goes my mock.

UFA Signings

QB Joe Flacco - 6 yrs, $110 million ($78 million guarenteed) - I think Joe was in for a big payday without winning Super Bowl MVP. He's one of the most under appreciated QB's in the NFL, and in my opinion, was a franchise QB by his 3rd year, not just this past year. This will make Joe a Raven for life, and will keep the Ravens in the playoff picture for a long time.

ILB Dannelle Ellerbe - 4 yrs., $22 million ($15 million guarenteed) - He might be a little expensive, but he's our best ILB now. I've always been a fan of Ellerbe ever since his rookie year in 2009. I thought he would have a long resume of seasons where he started but thankfully he showed up at the right time. With Upshaw coming back for his second season, Kruger is expendable, but losing Ellerbe would really hurt our interior presence on the defense with Ray being gone for good now.

WR Anquan Boldin - Restructured deal, 1-year extension. I think Boldin knows that he's getting old, I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a young possesion reciever for Boldin to mold until he retires. Honestly, I think Anqaun is another guy that the Ravens can't afford to lose. He doesn't wow you with his numbers, but he makes some incredible plays, and had a great postseason. He already said that the Ravens cut him that he'll retire, and even if he's bluffing, it still shows that he wants to be apart of this team.

FS Ed Reed, OT Mickinne also return.

This means CB Cary Williams, OLB/DE Paul Kruger, and S James Ihedigbo are gone, in my honest opinion. Williams, like many have said will be overpaid by a team looking a quick stop-gap at CB as a starter and has probably played his last game as a Ravens. Kruger is a guy who could either be great when he leaves or go back to 2009/2010 mode where he's still learning the system. Hate to say it but I believe he's gone as well, and someone's going to paying money that honestly, he probably doesn't completely deserve. Ihedigbo played good at points when Pollard was hurt, but he's also expendable with that draft coming up.

RFA's

Emmanuel Cook - 5th round tender
Morgan Cox - 4th round tender
Ed Dickson - 3rd round tender
Ramon Harewood - 4th round tender
Arthur Jones - 2nd round tender
Dennis Pitta - 2nd round tender
David Reed - cut

EFA:

Anthony Allen - no
Damien Berry - yes
Josh Bynes - yes
Bryan Hall - yes
Anthony Levine - no
Albert McClellan - yes
Bobby Rainey - yes

I don't see the franchise tag being used on anyone other than Flacco, and that would only be to give us more time to reach a deal with him. Now, on to the draft.

2013 NFL Draft (Ravens)

No trades on this one, just doing it based on value and possible BPA.

32. Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU.
I've see a lot of mocks that have him falling to us, and honestly, that's fine by me. He has good enough sideline-to-sideline speed, and is a better tackler than Manti Teo, imo. I love his ablility to shed blocks, and really impressed me this year when he played against Florida, though it was a loss. I think he'll step in day one and solidify our young LB core.

64. Sylvester Williams, DT, UNC.
This is another guy that I've seen fall down people's mocks. For the sake of this being a pre-combine mock draft, I'll follow the trend and say that he falls to us and we pick him up immediately. He'd be a great rotational DT in our defense, and should benefit from having bigs guys like Ngata and Cody on the line. Gonna be a huge part in us rebuilding our run defense.

96. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas.
At first glace, this might not really be a glaring need, but if this is the system that we're going to be running now where we see more spread and 3-wide sets, it won't hurt to bring in another young guy to learn from our experienced WR corp. Hamilton was a play maker for Arkansas, despite the teams down year. A reliable target for Tyler Wilson, and should be a good target for Flacco as well. I don't see Tanden Doss doing much for this team, so drafting someone here could make some sense.

128. Sio Moore, OLB, UCONN.
Even with Upshaw primed to be the starter next year, we still need that depth that Kruger provided for us. Moore's a guy that's not going to run past a lot of guys but he still finds ways to get to the QB. He's only listed at 229lbs., and that might be what's making him a solid 4th round prospect as apposed to a late 2nd. He'd probably also play special teams since Harbaugh loves putting LB's in lanes.

COMP PICK 4th Round. Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin.
Could provide some depth at Tackle in case Mickinnee isn't feeling it. The thought of moving Oher back to LT is a scary thought but I'd much rather have Osemele at LG as well. Wagner could be a solid RT even in his rookie year.

5th round. Robert Lester, SS, Alabama.
Need to add some depth at this position. Would probably contribute more on ST in his first few years.

5th round COMP. Brandon Mcgee, CB, Miami(FL.).
Again, probably more for depth. Would compete with Brown for the 4th CB spot, also another contributor on ST.

6th round. Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Miami(FL).
This guy was supposed to be a 1st round pick before the scandel came out. If he can return to that form this would be a huge steal for the Ravens.

6th Round COMP. Sam Brenner, OG, Utah.
Because depth.

6th Round COMP. Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia Tech.
Same reason as the previous pick. Especially for this position.

7th Round. Gilbert Pena, DT, Mississippi.
Another depth pick. Probably gonna be fighting for a roster spot by the end of preseason. Could be a nice rotational player like Tyson was last year.

So, with all of this being said, here would be the roster for next year.

QB: Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor.
RB: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Damion Rainey.
WR1: Anquan Boldin, Jacoby Jones, Tandon Doss.
WR2: Torrey Smith, Cobi Hamilton Laquan Williams.
TE: Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson
LT: Bryant Mickinnee, Michael Oher
LG: Kelechi Osemelle, Sam Brenner
C: Matt Birk, Gino Gradkowski
RG: Marshal Yanda, Ramon Harewood
RT: Michael Oher, Ricky Wagner

LE: Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee
DT/NT: Terrance Cody, Sylvester Williams, Deangelo Tyson.
RE: Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs
SAM OLB: Courtney Upshaw, Albery McClelian
WILB: Dannelle Ellerebe, Bruce Miller
MIKE: Kevin Minter, Jameel McClain
RUSH OLB: Terrell Suggs, Sio Moore.
CB1: Lardarius Webb, Corey Ghram, Asa Jackson
CB2: Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Brandon Mcgee
FS: Ed Reed, Ray Ray Armstrong, Christian Thompson
SS: Bernard Pollard, Robert Lester

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

I know that was a long build-up, but yeah lol. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? [/u]
Where are the Chiefs at #11?

Nobody cares about the Chiefs.

Last edited by B-More_2011 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on taking a WR in the 3rd. My preferred picks for the first half of the draft would be a choice of ILB, OLB, OT, DT, FS.

I think those are the positions that the Ravens most need to focus on, but obviously they're not going to get starting calibre players for each one.

From what I've seen and read on Minter and Williams, I'd be more than happy to see them drafted, although I guess a lot depends on whether Bryant McKinnie is re-signed. If he's not, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens going for the best Tackle available in either the first or second round.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it might not fill a big need, but I like the value for Hamilton in the end of the 3rd round. It's like when the Packers drafted Randal Cobb a few years back. Seeing as though we address two HUGE needs in the first two rounds, I would be more than happy to see us take Hamilton, or even Da'Rick Rogers at that spot.

draftguru1234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ellerbe, but unless McClain is cut, 5.5 mil is a little too high for a one year wonder imo. If we have to go any higher than 4, I'd move on. I'm perfectly fine with Bynes taking over for Ellerbe.

As for the draft, Minter is my second favorite ILB in the draft, so I'd be all for the pick at 32.

While I doubt Williams falls all the way to pick #64, it'd be a hell of a value if he did.

While admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Hamilton, from what I've seen hes impressive, although he needs to work on his hands. But I'm curious as to why you're down on Doss. He hasn't really been given a chance yet. Not to mention Streeter looked pretty good in camp, and will probably get a shot.

The rest of the draft is solid.
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru1234 wrote:
I like Ellerbe, but unless McClain is cut, 5.5 mil is a little too high for a one year wonder imo. If we have to go any higher than 4, I'd move on. I'm perfectly fine with Bynes taking over for Ellerbe.

As for the draft, Minter is my second favorite ILB in the draft, so I'd be all for the pick at 32.

While I doubt Williams falls all the way to pick #64, it'd be a hell of a value if he did.

While admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Hamilton, from what I've seen hes impressive, although he needs to work on his hands. But I'm curious as to why you're down on Doss. He hasn't really been given a chance yet. Not to mention Streeter looked pretty good in camp, and will probably get a shot.

The rest of the draft is solid.

Admittingly I haven't been high on Doss since before we drafted him. I didn't think he was as great of a route runner as people hyped him up to be, but I was fine with it when I found out Flacco personally picked him out. Now I'm just going by what I've seen of him as a Raven. The only real memory of him I have is in the playoffs when he dropped those two passes that went right to his hands, one would've been for a touchdown. Perhaps he needs more time, but I like what I've seen from Hamilton, and anybody coming from the SEC always has its ups.

mcdni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from some of your RFA tenders everything looks good to me.

The RFA Tenders are either 1st round tender, 2nd round tender or Original round tender. For Cook and Cox that would mean no compensation as they were UDFAs. Harewood was a 6th round pick so that would be his compensation.

All 3 could be released and brought back cheaper IMO. Probably at half the tender price of the original round tender.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
Apart from some of your RFA tenders everything looks good to me.

The RFA Tenders are either 1st round tender, 2nd round tender or Original round tender. For Cook and Cox that would mean no compensation as they were UDFAs. Harewood was a 6th round pick so that would be his compensation.

All 3 could be released and brought back cheaper IMO. Probably at half the tender price of the original round tender.

Thank you, I was confused about that. The tenders would still stand for Jones and Pitta though. I could definitely see someone giving up a 4th for Pitta or even a 6th for Jones.

KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minter would be great in the 1st round.

I'm not a fan of Sylester Williams. He didn't look good at the SR Bowl and just reminds me of another Cody.

Cobi Hamilton would be ok. I prefer Da'Rick Rogers or even Quinton Patton there.

Moore and Wagner are good picks.

Doubt Armstrong even gets drafted. You can't sit out a whole year out of football and think your going to get drafted.

Don't know too much about the rest of the picks.

Overall, it would be a decent draft.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man there were a lot of these today. It's fun though. Cool

The mock offseason looks pretty good with one caveat - there are only three different kinds of restricted free agent tenders. This link explains it nicely:

Quote:
1st Round Tender: allows the team to receive compensation of a 1st round $2.879M

2nd Round Tender: allows the team to receive compensation of 2nd round pick $2.023M

Low Tender: allows the team to receive compensation of a draft pick equal to the round in which the player was originally drafted or the Right of First Refusal (ROFR) for an undrafted player $1.323M

The actual moves made all look good and realistic. I like the draft for the most part too. Minter and Williams is a really nice combo in the first couple of rounds. I'm not a fan of going with a WR in the third round though. I can see your reasoning if you don't believe in Doss. I'm not that high on him either but I don't know if a guy like Hamilton is much of an upgrade.

I've always been under the assumption that Moore would be an ILB in a 3-4 alignment. I'll have to look into him more. Wagner is meh. If they're taking a OT in the mid rounds I'd rather they take a shot on a developmental RT rather than a guy that's strictly a RT. Like I said in another thread I'm not high on Lester either. McGee is alright.

Armstrong had hype as a first round pick last year but I never bought into it. In Flaccomania's mock I mentioned how I though the Ravens had enough young depth at S as it is and taking more than one this year seems unlikely. The last three picks look good.

Overall I think I would like this situation to play out. There are a couple of things I don't really like but that's usually what ends up happening in real life anyways.
B-More_2011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting Hamilton isn't really because of Doss, but more because we don't know howich longer we have with boldin and they're almost the same receiver. I compare it more like when the packers drafted Cobb when Driver was only a year or two out from retirement. But as others have said I could see them taking the best available OT as well.

coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-More_2011 wrote:
Drafting Hamilton isn't really because of Doss, but more because we don't know howich longer we have with boldin and they're almost the same receiver. I compare it more like when the packers drafted Cobb when Driver was only a year or two out from retirement. But as others have said I could see them taking the best available OT as well.

I don't think that Hamilton is a Boldin clone at all. Driver and Cobb had some similarities (at least when Driver was younger) but I don't see it with Hamilton and Boldin. There really aren't that many guys that are truly comparable to Boldin but in this class the closest would be Chris Harper in my opinion.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:

I don't think that Hamilton is a Boldin clone at all. Driver and Cobb had some similarities (at least when Driver was younger) but I don't see it with Hamilton and Boldin. There really aren't that many guys that are truly comparable to Boldin but in this class the closest would be Chris Harper in my opinion.

Yeah I'm a fan of him if we can get him in the 3rd. I see a lot of Boldin in him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:

I disagree, I saw Hamilton make some tough catches this year against some good corners. I think with his size he could be a match up nightmare for us next year, not I mentIon he has better speed. Why does he have to be a clone of Boldin? Cause that's not what I said, just that he has similarities.

coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-More_2011 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
B-More_2011 wrote:

I disagree, I saw Hamilton make some tough catches this year against some good corners. I think with his size he could be a match up nightmare for us next year, not I mentIon he has better speed. Why does he have to be a clone of Boldin? Cause that's not what I said, just that he has similarities.

I don't know, "almost the same receiver" is pretty close to clone in my dictionary. Might just be a difference of opinions on the phrase lol. Hamilton has nice size but it's not's anything special (he measured in at a bit under 6'2 and 199 lbs. at the Senior Bowl). I'm just not as high on him as you are.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get around to commenting on this mock before...

But I love it.

I think Minter is arguably the best ILB in this class. He has all the tools that you look for in his position and he's a little young to boot. We don't always select Junior players, but if we make an exception, I think a hardworking productive guy like Minter could be the guy for that.

Sylvester Williams is a guy that I believe will be a 1st rounder come draft day... so with that, if he falls to the 2nd round, I call steal. He's just so physically gifted and has moves to boot. He's exactly what the interior of our defense needs to succeed. He could play 5-tech, some 43 DT, and he could even see some time at NT on occasion in conjunction with Cody IMO.

I was a fan of what I saw from Cobi Hamilton on tape early in the process. I remembered that he had some nice explosive ability for his size and made some nice grabs. His quickness/fluidity in and out of his cuts was impressive for his size. And his route running looked pretty strong. I thought he had some 2nd round potential moving forward.

Not familiar with Moore.

With Wagner, I like the pick because you know what you're getting. You're getting a smart OT that knows the game and is battle tested. He's going to be experienced, have a nice understanding of technique, and he's going to be decently athletic to have some potential to man the left side of the line. He's not a potential guy, but he's a guy that if McKinnie gets lazy and fat and is a waste of money could come in and start at LT so as to keep the consistency of our OL... without getting Flacco killed too often. I think he'd be a better LT than Oher was indeed. Either way, we'd have a high level RT player to roll with an average to good LT option.

Lester, like I've said elsewhere, I think he could provide a Tommy Z type impact to our secondary. A guy whose athletic enough to not be a liability in deep coverage and a guy whose quality enough to play his responsibility and make plays when they come his way. He, however, isn't much of a roamer nor a dominant defensive presence.

Haven't watched McGee.

Not a fan of Armstrong... he sat out an entire season and is coming off disciplinary issues. I'd say we should pass until he becomes an UDFA. But more than likely he'd sign with the Bengals as a troubled player looking to turn his life around, it fits their MO the most.

Not familiar with the other names.

I'd give the mock an A-... it's really good, but some of the later round names I'm not familiar with at this point... and I just don't like giving mocks perfect scores tbh... because nothing is perfect. An A- is about as good as I'll hand out... unless its truly dynamite (and relatively realistic.).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: