Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Romo Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Via BTB Twitter

Quote:
Mike Fisher is reporting that Stephen Jones said today (on 105.3 The Fan) that they are now in negotiations with Tony Romo on signing a deal that will have him as the QB of the Cowboys for the next four-five years. Romo is entering the final year of his current contract with a cap hit of approximately $16.8 million

peliminary talks as of yesterday, but not anything serious.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
I want Renner in a Cowboys uniform.

What about Johnny Football ? Say he wins another Heisman don't you think the gm would be all over that as a marketing tool ?

FTR I don't want him.

No, I don't want him. I don't think he'll be a successful NFL QB at all.

I would have agreed with this until I saw Russell Wilson play the second half of the season and the playoffs. I think Johnny Football would succeed in the right type of offense.

I guess it will all depend on how he develops over the next year or so.

That said, I like Wilson. I don't like Manziel. Two completely different attitudes. One professional, one immature and self-serving. It's one reason why I don't want anything to do with Tyler Bray.

Because none of us were immature and self-serving when we were 20 years old, right. Cut the kid some slack and let him have some fun in college. It just gets blown out of proportion because of who he is now. If he wouldn't have won the Heisman than many people would let him slide. Accuracy is prefered in the league as you rarely see some one throw a pass over 30 yards since most defenses protect against the big play. I would rather have a QB that was deadly accurate, but only have average arm strength.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
I want Renner in a Cowboys uniform.

What about Johnny Football ? Say he wins another Heisman don't you think the gm would be all over that as a marketing tool ?

FTR I don't want him.

No, I don't want him. I don't think he'll be a successful NFL QB at all.

I would have agreed with this until I saw Russell Wilson play the second half of the season and the playoffs. I think Johnny Football would succeed in the right type of offense.

I guess it will all depend on how he develops over the next year or so.

That said, I like Wilson. I don't like Manziel. Two completely different attitudes. One professional, one immature and self-serving. It's one reason why I don't want anything to do with Tyler Bray.

Because none of us were immature and self-serving when we were 20 years old, right. Cut the kid some slack and let him have some fun in college. It just gets blown out of proportion because of who he is now. If he wouldn't have won the Heisman than many people would let him slide. Accuracy is prefered in the league as you rarely see some one throw a pass over 30 yards since most defenses protect against the big play. I would rather have a QB that was deadly accurate, but only have average arm strength.

I was almost as awesome at 20 as I am today. Almost.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that the Cowboys are going to allow Tony Romo to play out his contract in 2013. Don't expect an extension.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that the Cowboys are going to allow Tony Romo to play out his contract in 2013. Don't expect an extension.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's...definitely surprising.

^^^mack
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is Sullivan?

And im calling BS because doing that would be a $20m dead cap hit next season and Romo as a FA

Sig courtesy of mack.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that really is true, I see zero reason why we wouldn't go ahead and just shop him around.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
cav_fan2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is Sullivan?

And im calling BS because doing that would be a $20m dead cap hit next season and Romo as a FA

Hey Madd, I'm a little dumb when it comes to the cap hit thing...why if Romo's contract expires after 2013 would Dallas have a $20 million dead cap next season? Is that his guaranteed money coming off the books that we would be accounting for?

Thanks buddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cav_fan2 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is Sullivan?

Hey Madd, I'm a little dumb when it comes to the cap hit thing...why if Romo's contract expires after 2013 would Dallas have a $20 million dead cap next season? Is that his guaranteed money coming off the books that we would be accounting for?

Thanks buddy

We have money already paid out that we were allowed to spread the cap hit out into the future. When a player is cut or their contract voided, all that pro rated cap hit comes forward.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is Sullivan?

He's a columnist for DC.com

^^^mack
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess it's the first time I can say. I'm excited we didnt make a big signing in free agency. Looks like Romo's final year. Boom or bust.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who is Sullivan?

Why? If he is on Dallas this year, his last two years are voided.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. 99% MH is wrong on that one...

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a big Romo fan and even a bit of an apologist at times but I hope this report is true. Let him play out this year and reevaluate your QB position next offseason. Im fairly confident Jerry would still have the upper hand in getting a deal with Romo done next offseason if they deem that is the best route for the future. I've actually been hoping Romo would pull a little Flacco have the courage to bet on himself or maybe even go full Eli on us all and declare himself as good as brady or peyton etc.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we've already paid Romo the money... that money doesn't just disappear - it has to count against the cap and it hasn't yet because we pro-rated it. Once it voids, it accelerates to this year.

Now the actual amount I posted above was an overstatement - it's actually $8.181m - the problem is you can't turn around and franchise Romo b/c then you're tacking another $15-16m on top of the $8m and suddenly your QB is counting $24m against the cap.

What I think is far more likely is that they let Romo play into the 2013 season and then resign him half way into the year like they did with him back in 2007/2008. They did the same thing with Miles Austin and I think Jay Ratliff.

Is it possible they let him walk and become a free agent? I suppose, I just highly doubt it. Not when they know they can trade him now and get a huge haul if they know they're going to land in the same spot either way.

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: