Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Romo Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44607
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I'm so glad you guys educated me on how many rings those two guys had... Laughing

Seriously? I said stats in retort to the claim that he "chokes" in the biggest games and doesn't have the mental fortitude to ever win a ring. Yet he's 2:1 TD:INT, 6+ YPA and ~60% Comp just like those 2 guys. So unless those two guys don't have strong mental fortitudes, I'd guess it just proves that winning a ring is a team accomplishment that even Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were able to pull off (despite their lack of skill or "fortitude) and Rex Grossman nearly took home.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1907
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Wow... I'm so glad you guys educated me on how many rings those two guys had... Laughing

Seriously? I said stats in retort to the claim that he "chokes" in the biggest games and doesn't have the mental fortitude to ever win a ring. Yet he's 2:1 TD:INT, 6+ YPA and ~60% Comp just like those 2 guys. So unless those two guys don't have strong mental fortitudes, I'd guess it just proves that winning a ring is a team accomplishment that even Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were able to pull off (despite their lack of skill or "fortitude) and Rex Grossman nearly took home.


I just said don't compare him to 2 Top 5 QB in the History of the NFL.

Never said that Romo sucks, and to trade him for whatever we can get.

Not all apologists are the same so don't stereotype all the realists as the same on the Forum.

My fight is not with Romo, but with Jerry.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20355
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB prospect in this draft. Thats speaks volumes.

Sign him to a 3 year deal, draft his replacement next year.


I disagree with that. Gabbert never did anything for me as a prospect and I still can't fathom why anyone considered him a 1st round prospect. I'd put Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, and Nassib ahead of Gabbert in this draft.


Plan should Dallas take a qb in the third round which qb would you target ?


It would depend on what we did in the first two rounds, in my opinion. If we adequately addressed O-line and D-line, O-line and Safety, or D-line and Safety, then we could conceivably look at a QB in the 3rd round as long as he 's the BPA ahead of the other need positions. It would also depend on which QB is available. The QBs whom I like in this draft (not love, but like) are Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Ryan Nassib. I'd be inclined to bet that all four will be gone by then, but should one of them still be there, I'd snatch him up. Obviously, this is a pretty weak QB class, so I wouldn't go out of my way for any of the QBs this year, but I'd give those guys consideration. If all of them are gone by the 3rd round, then I'd employ my preferred method which I picked up from the greatest GM in NFL history, Ron Wolf: draft a QB in the later rounds every single year.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20355
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Wow... I'm so glad you guys educated me on how many rings those two guys had... Laughing

Seriously? I said stats in retort to the claim that he "chokes" in the biggest games and doesn't have the mental fortitude to ever win a ring. Yet he's 2:1 TD:INT, 6+ YPA and ~60% Comp just like those 2 guys. So unless those two guys don't have strong mental fortitudes, I'd guess it just proves that winning a ring is a team accomplishment that even Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were able to pull off (despite their lack of skill or "fortitude) and Rex Grossman nearly took home.


I love how you always resort to the TD:INT ratio, thinking that matters when you ignore his body language and losses as if they don't factor in. MH, he lacks the intangibles. When you don't have it mentally, the stats don't matter. Being 1-6 in win-or-go-home games and playing very small in all of them is all the evidence we need.

Do we really need to look any further than 44-6? If so, then look at 2011's game against the Giants, or 2012's game against Washington. Or the divisional round game against Minnesota. I can continue, but I don't think I need to.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo's playoff QB rating (80.Cool, however, is much lower than Brady's (87.4). And beyond the stats, results are what matters most, and Romo still has only won 1 playoff game.

Romo's career playoff completion percentage, btw, is less than 60% (59.3% exactly). And having a 4:2 TD:INT ratio in four games isn't exactly eye-popping.

Like a lot of QBs - whether it's Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco coming into this year, Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith, etc. - for them to be considered elite they need to win in the playoffs. Until then, they wil be considered second- or third-tier QBs. Romo is in the same conversation as these players.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13183
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really stupid to try to defend Romo with stats at this point. He simply does not play well in big games. It's frustrating that the organization has so little confidence in their ability to find another QB that they publicly gush over Romo and he's got more job security than anyone without the last name "Jones."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 26596
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo just needs to come out and call himself elite this year. Guaranteed to win a Super Bowl then Laughing
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8520
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Romo just needs to come out and call himself elite this year. Guaranteed to win a Super Bowl then Laughing


Yep. It's worked for the last two SB winners.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB prospect in this draft. Thats speaks volumes.

Sign him to a 3 year deal, draft his replacement next year.


I disagree with that. Gabbert never did anything for me as a prospect and I still can't fathom why anyone considered him a 1st round prospect. I'd put Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, and Nassib ahead of Gabbert in this draft.


Plan should Dallas take a qb in the third round which qb would you target ?


It would depend on what we did in the first two rounds, in my opinion. If we adequately addressed O-line and D-line, O-line and Safety, or D-line and Safety, then we could conceivably look at a QB in the 3rd round as long as he 's the BPA ahead of the other need positions. It would also depend on which QB is available. The QBs whom I like in this draft (not love, but like) are Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Ryan Nassib. I'd be inclined to bet that all four will be gone by then, but should one of them still be there, I'd snatch him up. Obviously, this is a pretty weak QB class, so I wouldn't go out of my way for any of the QBs this year, but I'd give those guys consideration. If all of them are gone by the 3rd round, then I'd employ my preferred method which I picked up from the greatest GM in NFL history, Ron Wolf: draft a QB in the later rounds every single year.


Drafting a qb is looking futile the next few years. There are a couple but nothing like 2012. That said.....would you consider trading for Foles ? I would think hard about it. Our gm isn't opposed to trading with a divisonal foe.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cicero


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1235
Location: Portland, OR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Romo's stats in playoffs are pretty much the same as Brady and Marino on an efficiency level (obviously much fewer games) and I think the "win-or-go-home" numbers are about the same


Brady 17-7 with 3 SB rings
Marino 8-10 No rings
Romo 1-3 No rings

Tony is a good QB, and I believe that he should get an extension this off season. Don't compare him to 2 Top 5 QB in NFL History though, and if Brady can get that 4th ring he will top that list.

Don't masqurade Stats for results on the field as Brady is superior on both counts.


And if we're not looking as only Playoffs records, but actually win-or-go-home stats like someone said, then Romo is an awful 1-6. I used to be one of his biggest supporters, you all know that, but as of Oct. 3rd (as seen in my sig) I'm done with this bum.
_________________

Wondering where I can apply for the DCRA?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20355
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB prospect in this draft. Thats speaks volumes.

Sign him to a 3 year deal, draft his replacement next year.


I disagree with that. Gabbert never did anything for me as a prospect and I still can't fathom why anyone considered him a 1st round prospect. I'd put Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, and Nassib ahead of Gabbert in this draft.


Plan should Dallas take a qb in the third round which qb would you target ?


It would depend on what we did in the first two rounds, in my opinion. If we adequately addressed O-line and D-line, O-line and Safety, or D-line and Safety, then we could conceivably look at a QB in the 3rd round as long as he 's the BPA ahead of the other need positions. It would also depend on which QB is available. The QBs whom I like in this draft (not love, but like) are Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Ryan Nassib. I'd be inclined to bet that all four will be gone by then, but should one of them still be there, I'd snatch him up. Obviously, this is a pretty weak QB class, so I wouldn't go out of my way for any of the QBs this year, but I'd give those guys consideration. If all of them are gone by the 3rd round, then I'd employ my preferred method which I picked up from the greatest GM in NFL history, Ron Wolf: draft a QB in the later rounds every single year.


Drafting a qb is looking futile the next few years. There are a couple but nothing like 2012. That said.....would you consider trading for Foles ? I would think hard about it. Our gm isn't opposed to trading with a divisonal foe.


I agree that the crop of QBs over the next few years doesn't look very good at this point in time, but I'm not sure if I'd trade for Foles or not. He has potential, but I'd be concerened with what it would cost us to get him. I think his ceiling is higher than most of the players in this year's draft, but does that ceiling equal or exceed the price we'd be paying to acquire him? If that answer is anything other than a definitive "yes", then the value isn't there and we shouldn't do it.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44607
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Romo for a 2nd and future first to KC
Trade Ware for a first 3rd and future first to Indy
Trade Witten for a 2nd and future escalating 4th to Atlanta
Trade 18 for a 2nd and future first
Wait till 2014 as we watch Orton tank this season and then draft Bridgewater

Problem solved
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB prospect in this draft. Thats speaks volumes.

Sign him to a 3 year deal, draft his replacement next year.


I disagree with that. Gabbert never did anything for me as a prospect and I still can't fathom why anyone considered him a 1st round prospect. I'd put Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, and Nassib ahead of Gabbert in this draft.


Plan should Dallas take a qb in the third round which qb would you target ?


It would depend on what we did in the first two rounds, in my opinion. If we adequately addressed O-line and D-line, O-line and Safety, or D-line and Safety, then we could conceivably look at a QB in the 3rd round as long as he 's the BPA ahead of the other need positions. It would also depend on which QB is available. The QBs whom I like in this draft (not love, but like) are Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Ryan Nassib. I'd be inclined to bet that all four will be gone by then, but should one of them still be there, I'd snatch him up. Obviously, this is a pretty weak QB class, so I wouldn't go out of my way for any of the QBs this year, but I'd give those guys consideration. If all of them are gone by the 3rd round, then I'd employ my preferred method which I picked up from the greatest GM in NFL history, Ron Wolf: draft a QB in the later rounds every single year.


Drafting a qb is looking futile the next few years. There are a couple but nothing like 2012. That said.....would you consider trading for Foles ? I would think hard about it. Our gm isn't opposed to trading with a divisonal foe.


I agree that the crop of QBs over the next few years doesn't look very good at this point in time, but I'm not sure if I'd trade for Foles or not. He has potential, but I'd be concerened with what it would cost us to get him. I think his ceiling is higher than most of the players in this year's draft, but does that ceiling equal or exceed the price we'd be paying to acquire him? If that answer is anything other than a definitive "yes", then the value isn't there and we shouldn't do it.


I would spend a 3rd and a conditional pick. Think of it this way. Tyler Bray or Foles ? I think Foles is the perfect sit on the bench and learn guy for 2013. 2014 may offer some intrigue among qb's if a few name guys can up their game. Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron. I think Bridgewater will be the first qb selected next year if he comes out. I have a few others that I will be watching also.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20355
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Trade Romo for a 2nd and future first to KC
Trade Ware for a first 3rd and future first to Indy
Trade Witten for a 2nd and future escalating 4th to Atlanta
Trade 18 for a 2nd and future first
Wait till 2014 as we watch Orton tank this season and then draft Bridgewater

Problem solved


If we were to do something like that (end up with 1 first, 4 seconds, and 2 thirds in 2013), I'd rebuild the o-line and d-line and grab a QB this year and then go out of my way to get Clowney next year. Bridgewater doesn't impress me all that much. In my opinion, he isn't any better than any of the QBs in this year's crop. And Clowney is a remarkable player. I'd much rather have him on the team than anyone else in next year's draft.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Trade Romo for a 2nd and future first to KC
Trade Ware for a first 3rd and future first to Indy
Trade Witten for a 2nd and future escalating 4th to Atlanta
Trade 18 for a 2nd and future first
Wait till 2014 as we watch Orton tank this season and then draft Bridgewater

Problem solved


If we were to do something like that (end up with 1 first, 4 seconds, and 2 thirds in 2013), I'd rebuild the o-line and d-line and grab a QB this year and then go out of my way to get Clowney next year. Bridgewater doesn't impress me all that much. In my opinion, he isn't any better than any of the QBs in this year's crop. And Clowney is a remarkable player. I'd much rather have him on the team than anyone else in next year's draft.


There is Clowney then everyone else. However all players have thier kryptonite. Antonio Richardson is Clowney's kryptonite.

Bridgewater has less playing time than most of the qb's in this years draft. He can run too. Watch for Bryn Renner as well.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group