Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Romo Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
I thought this was interesting but didn't want to start a new thread.

Replacing Romo

The Cowboys spent 6 years (that felt like eternity) looking for Aikman's replacement, though several years prior to 2000 they were looking while they watched Aikman's brains get scrambled with concussion after concussion.

The Buffalo Bills have been looking for a star quarterback for over 15 years - since Jim Kelly in 1996. The Miami Dolphins have been searching for almost 15 years for Dan Marino's replacement, since 1999. The Cleveland Browns are going on over 20 years - since Bernie Kosar in 1992. The Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets have each gone nearly 3 decades without one, since Len Dawson in 1975 and Broadway Joe in 1976.

Point being - finding a franchise QB can be difficult - nearly impossible - but we're ready to throw a Top 5-10 QB away

QBs who continually underperform in "win and advance" games are NOT top 5-10s. The top 10 QBs have postseason success. At 33, if Romo hasn't done it yet, I don't expect it to happen now. At a certain point a team has to cut it losses in order to find a QB who performs well in the playoffs. There may be some growing pains along the way. But, personally, I rather go 2-14 and be in a position to find that QB than be an average team with Romo that drafts in the 10-20 range like we have been the past 3 years.

You honestly have Romo outside the top 10? Shocked

I put these 7 solidly ahead of Romo based on their accomplishments, leadership, and ability to raise their game in the playoffs. In other words, if the Cowboys were in playoffs, I'd trust these 7 to play better than Romo...

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Manning
5. Roethlisberger
6. Flacco
7. Eli

Then, we get to the young guns who are amazingly talented who can do more than Romo but may not be as polished of passers as Romo. I would take these 3 guys in a heartbeat over Romo...

8. RGIII
9. Wilson
10. Kaepernick

Then we get to the guys who are on par or better than with Romo but are considerably younger than Romo...

11. Ryan
12. Stafford
13. Luck

I'd definitely put Ryan above Romo. I'd definitely take Luck over Romo moving forward but not necessarily for 2013. IMO Romo and Stafford are fairly close.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you are using different criteria to put each one above. If you are just saying for next year, the difference between Flacco, Ryan, Eli, Ben and Romo is a toss up.

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Seems like you are using different criteria to put each one above. If you are just saying for next year, the difference between Flacco, Ryan, Eli, Ben and Romo is a toss up.

I would trust all of those guys you just mentioned to play better in the playoffs than Romo. You are talking guys who have gone on the road in the playoffs and won huge games. Romo's never shown he can do what they've done.

And, even though they are young, I'd still trust RGIII, Kaep, and Wilson more than Romo. Romo falls outside of my top 10 and I think if you guys were being honest... you'd agree with me.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I would trust all of those guys you just mentioned to play better in the playoffs than Romo. You are talking guys who have gone on the road in the playoffs and won huge games. Romo's never shown he can do what they've done.

And, even though they are young, I'd still trust RGIII, Kaep, and Wilson more than Romo. Romo falls outside of my top 10 and I think if you guys were being honest... you'd agree with me.

Being honest, I don't agree with you at all. But reasonable people can disagree. If the question was for the future, I could agree - expect for the Future I would not have Manning nor Brady.

Going into next year I have Romo as a top 10 QB.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Being Honest? Did you not see my post on the last page?

For the 2013 season, I think Romo is still top 10. If you are using other criteria, he could slide down to the 10-15 range.

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

The Cowboys spent 6 years (that felt like eternity) looking for Aikman's replacement, though several years prior to 2000 they were looking while they watched Aikman's brains get scrambled with concussion after concussion.

The Buffalo Bills have been looking for a star quarterback for over 15 years - since Jim Kelly in 1996. The Miami Dolphins have been searching for almost 15 years for Dan Marino's replacement, since 1999. The Cleveland Browns are going on over 20 years - since Bernie Kosar in 1992. The Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets have each gone nearly 3 decades without one, since Len Dawson in 1975 and Broadway Joe in 1976.

Point being - finding a franchise QB can be difficult - nearly impossible - but we're ready to throw a Top 5-10 QB away

QBs who continually underperform in "win and advance" games are NOT top 5-10s. The top 10 QBs have postseason success. At 33, if Romo hasn't done it yet, I don't expect it to happen now. At a certain point a team has to cut it losses in order to find a QB who performs well in the playoffs. There may be some growing pains along the way. But, personally, I rather go 2-14 and be in a position to find that QB than be an average team with Romo that drafts in the 10-20 range like we have been the past 3 years.

I put these 7 solidly ahead of Romo based on their accomplishments, leadership, and ability to raise their game in the playoffs. In other words, if the Cowboys were in playoffs, I'd trust these 7 to play better than Romo...

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Manning
5. Roethlisberger
6. Flacco
7. Eli

Then, we get to the young guns who are amazingly talented who can do more than Romo but may not be as polished of passers as Romo. I would take these 3 guys in a heartbeat over Romo...

8. RGIII
9. Wilson
10. Kaepernick

Then we get to the guys who are on par or better than with Romo but are considerably younger than Romo...

11. Ryan
12. Stafford
13. Luck

I'd definitely put Ryan above Romo. I'd definitely take Luck over Romo moving forward but not necessarily for 2013. IMO Romo and Stafford are fairly close.

Posts like this are why I disappear for 2, 3 months at a time.

Just sayin.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:

Just sayin.

And posts like having Ball, Bernard, and Bell as 1st round RBs keep you coming back?

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

1. Rodgers
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Manning
5. Roethlisberger
6. Flacco
7. Eli

8. RGIII
9. Wilson
10. Kaepernick

11. Ryan
12. Stafford
13. Luck

Just sayin.

This is seriously good to know. I have now saved my original post so I will have it at the ready in 2-3 months when you decide to return.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of for the love of...

Can you three try to attempt to act like adults. Take the pettiness to PM.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really guys? lets get back on topic. the pettiness needs to stop now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: