Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Romo Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Flacco, Elway and Eli never played behind an o-line as pathetic as ours. Aikman played behind some of the best o-lines in league history. Comparing Romo's situation to those guys is asinine.

That's not true at all. Flacco didn't play behind a great OL in the playoffs. The OL was a mix and match bunch. They were not dominating or close to it. I would gladly take Romo's OL in 07, 08 and 09 over the ravens OL last year. The giants did not have a good OL in 2011. They had cut a good portion of the OL to start the season. Their best OLman had his worst year as a pro, they had a first year starter at LT. Again, I would gladly take the Boys OL in 07, 08 and 09 over the giants OL in 2011. If you look at the giants stats in 2011 and compare them to the cowboys stats in 2012, they are very similar. Elway didnt have great OL in the 80s and went to 3 straight SBs. elway was often running for his life. Sorry, but you are dead wrong.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I think most of you know that I'm not a Romo hater. But, at his age and this point in his career, there is no longer any way to justify Romo's performance in "win and advance" games. Here's what I think is comical... When Romo's subpar performances are brought up in "win and advance" games, Romo defenders universally turn to regular season stats or argue that it was a team defeat despite Romo's valiant efforts. The Seattle game? Team loss? Not so much. But okay, I'll give romo the benefit of the doubt. The giants game? Okay, he played poorly in 4th quarter but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The eagles game in 08? It's getting harder to give him the benefit of the doubt but okay. The Minnesota game? Not so much anymore. The second giants game in 2011? That's almost all on Romo. The redskins game? That's all Romo.

Joe Flacco for the past 2 years has done something that Romo has never been able to do... Elevate his game when it matters most. That's what made Elway and Aikman HOFers. If Eli gets into HOF, it's not based on his regular season play.

Here's a simple question that if answered honestly answers the "Romo Question." At this point in Romo's career, In a "win and advance game" do you expect him to play great and lead cowboys to victory OR do you expect his play to to be a chief contributor to another cowboys loss?

Seattle had a WR fumble the ball in our end zone, our Defense collapse and Romo lead a game-winning drive the length of the field in the final minutes but Witten gets a bad spot and Romo botches the FG hold.

Giants game had a WR drop an easy catch and our Defense / ST collapse and Romo lead a game-winning drive the length of the field in the final minutes only for Cratyon to cut off his route at the end and miss an easy TD catch.

Eagles game - the entire failed to show up, and Romo, along with everyone else, played like crap. The Coaching staff should have been left in Philly and made to walk home - it was a complete and utter embarrassment.

Eagles game - Romo played great, the team looked sharp and the OL which was struggling was a non-factor partly due to Romo and partly due to gameplan.

Vikings game - Entire team played like crap - Romo was getting destroyed behind one of the worst OL performances we have seen. Guards stepping on his feet, pass rushers getting free rushes, it was ugly. Sensabaugh and the Defense collapsed early and the offense couldn't catch back up.

Giants game - Romo threw 2 TDs and nearly 300yds completing 60% of his passes- how it was "almost all on Romo" is baffling but okay... I mean its not like he did that with a swollen throwing hand that looked like something form a circus. Surely it wasn't Romo who allowed 30+ points including a 70+ yard catch and run by Cruz.

Redskins game - truly an ugly game where the D looked decent for what it was but hte OL was the definition of putrid, again allowing multiple free rushers all game. Romo wasn't sharp and had a pass float, another one go off his WR's hands, and a final throw that was a bad decision while under duress.

Sig courtesy of mack.
eagles suck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
I think most of you know that I'm not a Romo hater. But, at his age and this point in his career, there is no longer any way to justify Romo's performance in "win and advance" games. Here's what I think is comical... When Romo's subpar performances are brought up in "win and advance" games, Romo defenders universally turn to regular season stats or argue that it was a team defeat despite Romo's valiant efforts. The Seattle game? Team loss? Not so much. But okay, I'll give romo the benefit of the doubt. The giants game? Okay, he played poorly in 4th quarter but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The eagles game in 08? It's getting harder to give him the benefit of the doubt but okay. The Minnesota game? Not so much anymore. The second giants game in 2011? That's almost all on Romo. The redskins game? That's all Romo.

Joe Flacco for the past 2 years has done something that Romo has never been able to do... Elevate his game when it matters most. That's what made Elway and Aikman HOFers. If Eli gets into HOF, it's not based on his regular season play.

Here's a simple question that if answered honestly answers the "Romo Question." At this point in Romo's career, In a "win and advance game" do you expect him to play great and lead cowboys to victory OR do you expect his play to to be a chief contributor to another cowboys loss?

Seattle had a WR fumble the ball in our end zone, our Defense collapse and Romo lead a game-winning drive the length of the field in the final minutes but Witten gets a bad spot and Romo botches the FG hold.

Giants game had a WR drop an easy catch and our Defense / ST collapse and Romo lead a game-winning drive the length of the field in the final minutes only for Cratyon to cut off his route at the end and miss an easy TD catch.

Eagles game - the entire failed to show up, and Romo, along with everyone else, played like crap. The Coaching staff should have been left in Philly and made to walk home - it was a complete and utter embarrassment.

Eagles game - Romo played great, the team looked sharp and the OL which was struggling was a non-factor partly due to Romo and partly due to gameplan.

Vikings game - Entire team played like crap - Romo was getting destroyed behind one of the worst OL performances we have seen. Guards stepping on his feet, pass rushers getting free rushes, it was ugly. Sensabaugh and the Defense collapsed early and the offense couldn't catch back up.

Giants game - Romo threw 2 TDs and nearly 300yds completing 60% of his passes- how it was "almost all on Romo" is baffling but okay... I mean its not like he did that with a swollen throwing hand that looked like something form a circus. Surely it wasn't Romo who allowed 30+ points including a 70+ yard catch and run by Cruz.

Redskins game - truly an ugly game where the D looked decent for what it was but hte OL was the definition of putrid, again allowing multiple free rushers all game. Romo wasn't sharp and had a pass float, another one go off his WR's hands, and a final throw that was a bad decision while under duress.

Matts good post, but even in the redskins game our D played like crap. They let a rookie rb run for 200 yards. I dont care how depleted with injuries we were, it was unexceptable.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Giants game - Romo threw 2 TDs and nearly 300yds completing 60% of his passes- how it was "almost all on Romo" is baffling but okay... I mean its not like he did that with a swollen throwing hand that looked like something form a circus. Surely it wasn't Romo who allowed 30+ points including a 70+ yard catch and run

Or 30 yd plus bombs on back to back possessions in the 4th...

But yeah, this is all that needs to be said. Slam (and many others) believe the last game of the 2011 season is "almost all on Romo". That tells you everything you need to know about "the Romo question".

Last edited by Dirk Gently on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was interesting but didn't want to start a new thread.

Replacing Romo

The Cowboys spent 6 years (that felt like eternity) looking for Aikman's replacement, though several years prior to 2000 they were looking while they watched Aikman's brains get scrambled with concussion after concussion.

The Buffalo Bills have been looking for a star quarterback for over 15 years - since Jim Kelly in 1996. The Miami Dolphins have been searching for almost 15 years for Dan Marino's replacement, since 1999. The Cleveland Browns are going on over 20 years - since Bernie Kosar in 1992. The Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets have each gone nearly 3 decades without one, since Len Dawson in 1975 and Broadway Joe in 1976.

Point being - finding a franchise QB can be difficult - nearly impossible - but we're ready to throw a Top 5-10 QB away

Sig courtesy of mack.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

The Cowboys spent 6 years (that felt like eternity) looking for Aikman's replacement, though several years prior to 2000 they were looking while they watched Aikman's brains get scrambled with concussion after concussion.

The Buffalo Bills have been looking for a star quarterback for over 15 years - since Jim Kelly in 1996. The Miami Dolphins have been searching for almost 15 years for Dan Marino's replacement, since 1999. The Cleveland Browns are going on over 20 years - since Bernie Kosar in 1992. The Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets have each gone nearly 3 decades without one, since Len Dawson in 1975 and Broadway Joe in 1976.

Point being - finding a franchise QB can be difficult - nearly impossible - but we're ready to throw a Top 5-10 QB away
Amen!! I have said thi many times over in here, once you find that guy, you hold onto him! Extremely hard to find. QB's have the highest bust rate of any position IMO.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

Amen!! I have said thi many times over in here, once you find that guy, you hold onto him! Extremely hard to find. QB's have the highest bust rate of any position IMO.

I'm not ready to throw him away. I am ready to find a QB we can groom behind him, then throw him away once the "up-and-comer" is ready to step into the spotlight. Green Bay did it with Favre and look where that's got them.

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

QBs who continually underperform in "win and advance" games are NOT top 5-10s. The top 10 QBs have postseason success. At 33, if Romo hasn't done it yet, I don't expect it to happen now. At a certain point a team has to cut it losses in order to find a QB who performs well in the playoffs. There may be some growing pains along the way. But, personally, I rather go 2-14 and be in a position to find that QB than be an average team with Romo that drafts in the 10-20 range like we have been the past 3 years.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

QBs who continually underperform in "win and advance" games are NOT top 5-10s. The top 10 QBs have postseason success. At 33, if Romo hasn't done it yet, I don't expect it to happen now. At a certain point a team has to cut it losses in order to find a QB who performs well in the playoffs. There may be some growing pains along the way. But, personally, I rather go 2-14 and be in a position to find that QB than be an average team with Romo that drafts in the 10-20 range like we have been the past 3 years.

You honestly have Romo outside the top 10? Shocked

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

So you are saying you can not find a QB for the future while keeping your QB of the now?

Odd, seeing as teams do it all the time.

I think your perception of a rebuild is warped. We are rebuilding the method of the mid-2000s packers or the late 90s Patriots.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

What are the parameters? For next year? Based on last year? Going forward?

Cause I could put him out of the top 10 on the last two criteria. If we are just talking about next year - Id say he is still top 10.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

What are the parameters? For next year? Based on last year? Going forward?

Cause I could put him out of the top 10 on the last two criteria. If we are just talking about next year - Id say he is still top 10.

Even last year I think he would be hard to place outside the top 10, but I rank on a rolling 2-3yr window and Romo is only a year removed from a statistically elite season

Im sure Slam has Tebow and Sanchez ahead of Romo based on post season success and finds a way to put one win Ryan up there ahead of him as well. Then obviously rookies like Luck RG3 and Wilson and 2nd year Kapernivk. Then the obvious ones like Eli Flacco Brady Rodgers and Peyton.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

I posted almost this exact same thing in this exact same thread only a few days ago and I don't think it garnered even one response. Maybe I too need a creepy avatar to pique peoples interest!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

I posted almost this exact same thing in this exact same thread only a few days ago and I don't think it garnered even one response. Maybe I too need a creepy avatar to pique peoples interest!

MH has a habit of that. He stole my ESPN link about compensatory pick thread. Like the next page he started using the same quotes and link. No credit was given. Pretty sure he gets drunk and thinks he is original with this stuff.

MH, lay of the booze, bro.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Replacing Romo

Actually I stole it from Calvin Watkins on espn dallas - haha

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: