Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Romo Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: The Romo Question Reply with quote

Do you keep Romo to his current deal or do you re-sign him for the long haul? (note Ė this conversation has nothing to do with succession theory)

Do you think itís in the Cowboys Franchise interest to retain Romo for the foreseeable future? Why or why not?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Romo remains on the roster for the 2013 season, his current contract will void - that pushes every dime of his multiple restructure bonuses into our 2014 cap - how much you ask? $8.181m

So we'd be paying $8m to not have Romo on our roster - it's one thing to pay a couple hundred thousand or even a few million for a past his prime very unproductive player - but to pay a Top 10 QB $8m to go play elsewhere? Never going to happen

He will be traded (highly doubtful) or he will be extended (99.9% Guaranteed to happen)

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Romo Question Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Do you keep Romo to his current deal or do you re-sign him for the long haul? (note Ė this conversation has nothing to do with succession theory)

Do you think itís in the Cowboys Franchise interest to retain Romo for the foreseeable future? Why or why not?

How can you possibly have this conversation if it has nothing to do with succession? Succession - or lack of it right now - will be a huge factor in determining whether to keep Romo or not.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Romo Question Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

How can you possibly have this conversation if it has nothing to do with succession? Succession - or lack of it right now - will be a huge factor in determining whether to keep Romo or not.

Because they can be independent of one another. I assume that they will draft an heir either this year or next. But itís speculative. In the mean time, do you want to see Romo extended and remain with a star Ė or would you rather part ways from him sooner rather than later and plan for the life without Romo.

I mean you can discuss it to your hearts content, but knowing what you know now. Do you re-sign Romo?

In Redball I Trust!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Romo Question Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Because they can be independent of one another. I assume that they will draft an heir either this year or next. But itís speculative. In the mean time, do you want to see Romo extended and remain with a star Ė or would you rather part ways from him sooner rather than later and plan for the life without Romo.

I mean you can discuss it to your hearts content, but knowing what you know now. Do you re-sign Romo?

The 2 issues are not independent on one another. People will want to re-sign Romo because the team lacks an heir at the QB position. Others may argue that despite the cap hit that the team needs to move in a new direction at QB; hence, the importance on finding an heir.

Keeping or letting Romo go has a lot to do with succession.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody we draft this year will be able to out perform Romo over the next 3 to 4 years

Unless we completely BOMB the 2013 season, nobody we can draft in 2014 will be able to out perform Romo for the next 2-3 years either.

Terrible QB classes plus cap implications makes this an easy answer - Not sure what you're point is TSSS - succession plan in place or not, it really doesn't impact what we do with Romo right now. Unless of course you advocate starting Kyle Orton and tanking a couple seasons in a row (won't ever happen) or trading for Alex Smith (lol... srsly?)

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Romo Question Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

The 2 issues are not independent on one another. People will want to re-sign Romo because the team lacks an heir at the QB position. Others may argue that despite the cap hit that the team needs to move in a new direction at QB; hence, the importance on finding an heir.

Keeping or letting Romo go has a lot to do with succession.

Fine. I donít really care. Articulate whatever viewpoint you wish. I tend to think it can be an independent conversation, if you donít Ė thatís fine. So. What do you do?

In Redball I Trust!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Nobody we draft this year will be able to out perform Romo over the next 3 to 4 years

Unless we completely BOMB the 2013 season, nobody we can draft in 2014 will be able to out perform Romo for the next 2-3 years either.

Terrible QB classes plus cap implications makes this an easy answer - Not sure what you're point is TSSS - succession plan in place or not, it really doesn't impact what we do with Romo right now. Unless of course you advocate starting Kyle Orton and tanking a couple seasons in a row (won't ever happen) or trading for Alex Smith (lol... srsly?)

I didn't state my position in my post, so maybe try actually reading what I wrote. I just said that the issue of succession does factor into people's opinion on whether the Boys should keep Romo or not, and you just proved that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

I didn't state my position in my post, so maybe try actually reading what I wrote. I just said that the issue of succession does factor into people's opinion on whether the Boys should keep Romo or not, and you just proved that.

I did read what you wrote TSSS and I didn't accuse you of doing differently so perhaps stop making crap up big guy. I simply proved that you can discuss it without discussing succession planning.

If you think differently that's fine - not here to argue with you over something trivial (which is what you're doing with TO7)

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I do? I wouldn't extend Romo this year. I would use the draft and FA to strengthen the OL and draft a QB. If Romo performs well and the team has success this year, then I would like to negotiate a new deal with him. If a deal cannot be reached before FA, then I would slap the franchise tag on him to buy time to negotiate a new deal or explore a trade.

One of the reasons why I wouldn't extend him is that doing so would only delay the cap ramifications, thus hurting future flexibility. In addition, Romo will be 33 in April and 34 when the 2014 season commences, and I would be hesitant to give a long-term deal to an ageing QB, and one who has received his fair share of hits.

If the team falters and Romo has a so-so year (he will be 33 in April and 34 when the 2014 season commences), then I let him go or maybe still slap the franchise tag on him in hopes a team desperate for a QB will trade for him. Hopefully the young QB on the team has developed to become a quality NFL QB (no way of knowing of this right now) and/or draft a QB in the 2014 Draft.

Of course, my opinion matters very little when Stephen Jones stated today the team wants to extend Romo's contract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

I did read what you wrote TSSS and I didn't accuse you of doing differently so perhaps stop making crap up big guy. I simply proved that you can discuss it without discussing succession planning.

If you think differently that's fine - not here to argue with you over something trivial (which is what you're doing with TO7)

Your post, which was in reply to my post, made the argument of keeping Romo, as if providing a counter argument to something I wrote. However, I never stated my position. That's what I was pointing out. If I'm mistaken, my apologies but hopefully you can understand why I reacted the way I did. And maybe try not to be so defensive about everything Romo and take the time to read what people write because not everyone is disagreeing with you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I do? I wouldn't extend Romo this year. I would use the draft and FA to strengthen the OL and draft a QB. If Romo performs well and the team has success this year, then I would like to negotiate a new deal with him. If a deal cannot be reached before FA, then I would slap the franchise tag on him to buy time to negotiate a new deal or explore a trade.

One of the reasons why I wouldn't extend him is that doing so would only delay the cap ramifications, thus hurting future flexibility. In addition, Romo will be 33 in April and 34 when the 2014 season commences, and I would be hesitant to give a long-term deal to an ageing QB, and one who has received his fair share of hits.

If the team falters and Romo has a so-so year (he will be 33 in April and 34 when the 2014 season commences), then I let him go or maybe still slap the franchise tag on him in hopes a team desperate for a QB will trade for him. Hopefully the young QB on the team has developed to become a quality NFL QB (no way of knowing of this right now) and/or draft a QB in the 2014 Draft.

Of course, my opinion matters very little when Stephen Jones stated today the team wants to extend Romo's contract.

You realize youre talking anout nearly $25m being applied towards our 2014 Cap of approx 122m if you franchise Romo - right?

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

You realize youre talking anout nearly $25m being applied towards our 2014 Cap of approx 122m if you franchise Romo - right?

Can you explain how the number is $25M? It shouldn't be that high since the Boys have never applied the tag on Romo. If anything, the tag next year, especially there will be little to no increase in the cap this year, should be around $15M to $16M.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Can you explain how the number is $25M? It shouldn't be that high since the Boys have never applied the tag on Romo. If anything, the tag next year, especially there will be little to no increase in the cap this year, should be around $15M to $16M.

It'll probably be about $16m plus the $8+m in cap hit from his previous contract would put it at just over $24m

Sig courtesy of mack.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

It'll probably be about $16m plus the $8+m in cap hit from his previous contract would put it at just over $24m

Got it.

And I understand what you're saying - if the Boys plan on keeping Romo for the next few years, then it is in their best interest to sign him to an extension this off-season. If they let him play out his contract, they may as well either trade him now or let him walk at the end of the year given the salary cap ramifications.

That's a fair argument. I'm not adverse to signing Romo to an extension, but I hope any new contract won't lead to a large ramifcation on future salary caps. Easier said than done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: